Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Waiting for results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th)
Challenges: Experimental/Avant Garde, Benelux, Run the Director
Film of the Week: Daisan no kagemusha, March nominations (Feb 26th)

Future polls

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
Post Reply
User avatar
Fergenaprido
Donator
Posts: 5075
Joined: June 3rd, 2014, 6:00 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

#1161

Post by Fergenaprido »

brokenface wrote: May 2nd, 2020, 11:36 am so with the South Asia poll done, have we now covered every country with one of the region/country polls or are there some that have slipped through the net?
We've done every major country/region, I think.

Covered:
Spoiler
Africa (including Egypt, South Africa, Senegal, Nigeria, Ethiopia and all the rest)
Balkans (Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia & Herz., Serbia, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Kosovo, Albania, Romania, Bulgaria, Greece, Cyprus, Turkey)
Benelux (Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg)
Canada
Central Europe (Czechia, Slovakia, Hungary, Poland)
Chinese (China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau)
France
German (Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein)
Iberia (Spain, Portugal, Andorra)
Italy
Japan
Korean (South Korea, North Korea)
Latin America & Caribbean (including Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Mexico, Cuba, and all the rest)
Middle East (including Egypt, Israel, Palestine, Lebanon, Turkey, Iran, and more)
Oceanaia (including Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, and all the rest)
Nordic (Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Iceland, Greenland, Faroe Islands, Finland)
Russian (including some Soviet productions from other modern post-Soviet states)
South Asia (India, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Nepal, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Sri Lanka, Maldives)
South-East Asia (Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei, Timor-Leste, Philippines, Vietnam, Thailand, Myanmar, Cambodia, Laos)
United Kingdom

Uncovered
:
Spoiler
Baltics (Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania)
Belarus
Caucasus (Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan)
Central Asia (Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Mongolia)
Ireland
Moldova
Ukraine
United States
European microstates (Monaco, Vatican City, San Marino, Malta)
User avatar
RogerTheMovieManiac88
Posts: 1954
Joined: February 4th, 2017, 7:00 am
Location: Westmeath, Ireland
Contact:

#1162

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 »

I hope one day there might be polls on Ireland, the Baltics and Central Asia (or perhaps a combined poll of ex-Soviet states that would cover these outstanding regions but exclude Russian films?).
That's all, folks!
mjf314
Moderator
Posts: 11660
Joined: May 8th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#1163

Post by mjf314 »

RogerTheMovieManiac88 beat me to it, but I was about to suggest the same thing.

We should do a "former Soviet states excluding Russia" poll. It would cover 14 of the uncovered countries. I guess the poll can include both Soviet and post-Soviet era films.

Baltics (Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania)
Belarus
Caucasus (Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan)
Central Asia (Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan)
Moldova
Ukraine
User avatar
RogerTheMovieManiac88
Posts: 1954
Joined: February 4th, 2017, 7:00 am
Location: Westmeath, Ireland
Contact:

#1164

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 »

mjf314 wrote: May 2nd, 2020, 1:28 pm RogerTheMovieManiac88 beat me to it, but I was about to suggest the same thing.

We should do a "former Soviet states excluding Russia" poll. It would cover 14 of the uncovered countries. I guess the poll can include both Soviet and post-Soviet era films.

Baltics (Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania)
Belarus
Caucasus (Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan)
Central Asia (Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan)
Moldova
Ukraine
I'd definitely be up for that, mjf. It might be a bit hard to use IMDb ratings for it though as they tend to have the USSR tag on Soviet-era films. One imperfect workaround might be to search by production companies...

I do think it would be fascinating to try such an assortment for a poll!
That's all, folks!
mjf314
Moderator
Posts: 11660
Joined: May 8th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#1165

Post by mjf314 »

RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote: May 2nd, 2020, 2:23 pm I'd definitely be up for that, mjf. It might be a bit hard to use IMDb ratings for it though as they tend to have the USSR tag on Soviet-era films. One imperfect workaround might be to search by production companies...
These Wikipedia lists might help, but I'm not sure how complete they are:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category: ... by_country
User avatar
Teproc
Posts: 1020
Joined: September 23rd, 2015, 6:00 am
Contact:

#1166

Post by Teproc »

Just do a Eastern Europe (including the Baltics) and a Central Asia poll, that'll work, right ? I guess they're both pretty narrow tough.
User avatar
RogerTheMovieManiac88
Posts: 1954
Joined: February 4th, 2017, 7:00 am
Location: Westmeath, Ireland
Contact:

#1167

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 »

mjf314 wrote: May 2nd, 2020, 2:38 pm
RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote: May 2nd, 2020, 2:23 pm I'd definitely be up for that, mjf. It might be a bit hard to use IMDb ratings for it though as they tend to have the USSR tag on Soviet-era films. One imperfect workaround might be to search by production companies...
These Wikipedia lists might help, but I'm not sure how complete they are:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category: ... by_country
They don't look all that complete but I guess they could be helpful. I've learned to take Wikipedia with a pinch of salt, haahaa.
That's all, folks!
mjf314
Moderator
Posts: 11660
Joined: May 8th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#1168

Post by mjf314 »

Fergenaprido wrote: May 2nd, 2020, 12:03 pm
brokenface wrote: May 2nd, 2020, 11:36 am so with the South Asia poll done, have we now covered every country with one of the region/country polls or are there some that have slipped through the net?
We've done every major country/region, I think.

Covered:
Spoiler
Africa (including Egypt, South Africa, Senegal, Nigeria, Ethiopia and all the rest)
Balkans (Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia & Herz., Serbia, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Kosovo, Albania, Romania, Bulgaria, Greece, Cyprus, Turkey)
Benelux (Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg)
Canada
Central Europe (Czechia, Slovakia, Hungary, Poland)
Chinese (China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau)
France
German (Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein)
Iberia (Spain, Portugal, Andorra)
Italy
Japan
Korean (South Korea, North Korea)
Latin America & Caribbean (including Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Mexico, Cuba, and all the rest)
Middle East (including Egypt, Israel, Palestine, Lebanon, Turkey, Iran, and more)
Oceanaia (including Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, and all the rest)
Nordic (Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Iceland, Greenland, Faroe Islands, Finland)
Russian (including some Soviet productions from other modern post-Soviet states)
South Asia (India, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Nepal, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Sri Lanka, Maldives)
South-East Asia (Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei, Timor-Leste, Philippines, Vietnam, Thailand, Myanmar, Cambodia, Laos)
United Kingdom

Uncovered
:
Spoiler
Baltics (Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania)
Belarus
Caucasus (Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan)
Central Asia (Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Mongolia)
Ireland
Moldova
Ukraine
United States
European microstates (Monaco, Vatican City, San Marino, Malta)
I compiled the forum's favorite films from each country into an iCM list, like our own version of UNESCO:
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/icm+ ... ry/mjf314/

I'll update it as we run more polls. Since we haven't done a US poll yet, I took the US films from the 1001 list.
User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 33352
Joined: February 16th, 2012, 7:00 am
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#1169

Post by joachimt »

Lonewolf, will you be doing the 2010s poll in June?
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 10627
Joined: December 29th, 2012, 7:00 am
Contact:

#1170

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

joachimt wrote: May 24th, 2020, 7:56 am Lonewolf, will you be doing the 2010s poll in June?
Of course. Will start it next weekend at the latest.
User avatar
Lakigigar
Posts: 1612
Joined: October 31st, 2015, 6:00 am
Location: Belgium
Contact:

#1171

Post by Lakigigar »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: May 24th, 2020, 10:53 am
joachimt wrote: May 24th, 2020, 7:56 am Lonewolf, will you be doing the 2010s poll in June?
Of course. Will start it next weekend at the latest.
When is the deadline?
User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 33352
Joined: February 16th, 2012, 7:00 am
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#1172

Post by joachimt »

Lakigigar wrote: May 27th, 2020, 4:19 pm
Lonewolf2003 wrote: May 24th, 2020, 10:53 am
joachimt wrote: May 24th, 2020, 7:56 am Lonewolf, will you be doing the 2010s poll in June?
Of course. Will start it next weekend at the latest.
When is the deadline?
Hey, are you back online! :thumbsup:
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 10627
Joined: December 29th, 2012, 7:00 am
Contact:

#1173

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Lakigigar wrote: May 27th, 2020, 4:19 pm
Lonewolf2003 wrote: May 24th, 2020, 10:53 am
joachimt wrote: May 24th, 2020, 7:56 am Lonewolf, will you be doing the 2010s poll in June?
Of course. Will start it next weekend at the latest.
When is the deadline?
Near the end of June. Don’t know the exact date yet.
User avatar
Lakigigar
Posts: 1612
Joined: October 31st, 2015, 6:00 am
Location: Belgium
Contact:

#1174

Post by Lakigigar »

joachimt wrote: May 27th, 2020, 6:17 pm
Lakigigar wrote: May 27th, 2020, 4:19 pm
Lonewolf2003 wrote: May 24th, 2020, 10:53 am
Of course. Will start it next weekend at the latest.
When is the deadline?
Hey, are you back online! :thumbsup:
yes, thx. Certainly want to contribute to the list :)
User avatar
Tim2460
Posts: 3649
Joined: October 1st, 2018, 7:23 pm
Location: Dijon, France
Contact:

#1175

Post by Tim2460 »

50's pool finished.

I'll PM Arthur for updating the ICM Lists.
User avatar
beavis
Posts: 2705
Joined: June 20th, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Contact:

#1176

Post by beavis »

bump
Lonewolf2003 wrote: May 27th, 2020, 9:07 pm
Lakigigar wrote: May 27th, 2020, 4:19 pm
Lonewolf2003 wrote: May 24th, 2020, 10:53 am
Of course. Will start it next weekend at the latest.
When is the deadline?
Near the end of June. Don’t know the exact date yet.
User avatar
Fergenaprido
Donator
Posts: 5075
Joined: June 3rd, 2014, 6:00 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

#1177

Post by Fergenaprido »

FYI I'm still good to host the unofficial poll again this year, but I'm waiting until the weekend/Monday to post the nominations thread.

Deadline will probably be July 31st, so that I can compile the results over the weekend and start the countdown on the Monday.
User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 10627
Joined: December 29th, 2012, 7:00 am
Contact:

#1178

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Fergenaprido wrote: July 1st, 2020, 9:37 am FYI I'm still good to host the unofficial poll again this year, but I'm waiting until the weekend/Monday to post the nominations thread.

Deadline will probably be July 31st, so that I can compile the results over the weekend and start the countdown on the Monday.
Are you still up for doing this? Otherwise I can do it.
User avatar
Fergenaprido
Donator
Posts: 5075
Joined: June 3rd, 2014, 6:00 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

#1179

Post by Fergenaprido »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: July 11th, 2020, 11:55 am
Fergenaprido wrote: July 1st, 2020, 9:37 am FYI I'm still good to host the unofficial poll again this year, but I'm waiting until the weekend/Monday to post the nominations thread.

Deadline will probably be July 31st, so that I can compile the results over the weekend and start the countdown on the Monday.
Are you still up for doing this? Otherwise I can do it.
I'll set it up this weekend.
User avatar
Fergenaprido
Donator
Posts: 5075
Joined: June 3rd, 2014, 6:00 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

#1180

Post by Fergenaprido »

Fergenaprido wrote: July 11th, 2020, 12:03 pm
Lonewolf2003 wrote: July 11th, 2020, 11:55 am
Fergenaprido wrote: July 1st, 2020, 9:37 am FYI I'm still good to host the unofficial poll again this year, but I'm waiting until the weekend/Monday to post the nominations thread.

Deadline will probably be July 31st, so that I can compile the results over the weekend and start the countdown on the Monday.
Are you still up for doing this? Otherwise I can do it.
I'll set it up this weekend.
Nomination Thread is now up: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4976
User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 10627
Joined: December 29th, 2012, 7:00 am
Contact:

#1181

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Who wants to do Romance next month? I can do it, if nobody else wants to.
User avatar
Tim2460
Posts: 3649
Joined: October 1st, 2018, 7:23 pm
Location: Dijon, France
Contact:

#1182

Post by Tim2460 »

i'm here too if needeed
User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 10627
Joined: December 29th, 2012, 7:00 am
Contact:

#1183

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

User avatar
Tim2460
Posts: 3649
Joined: October 1st, 2018, 7:23 pm
Location: Dijon, France
Contact:

#1184

Post by Tim2460 »

Can everyone managing pools take a look here

viewtopic.php?p=657235#p657235 ?

I try to create an master list that could help creating even richier revelation Posts from extract from OMDB and TMDB.

Every idea and different point of vue counts
User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 10627
Joined: December 29th, 2012, 7:00 am
Contact:

#1185

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

The 1960s poll is scheduled for October. If nobody else (Tim?) is interested in hosting it, I am.
User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 10627
Joined: December 29th, 2012, 7:00 am
Contact:

#1186

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: September 27th, 2020, 4:42 pm The 1960s poll is scheduled for October. If nobody else (Tim?) is interested in hosting it, I am.
Nominations topic: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5113&view=unread#unread is up
User avatar
Tim2460
Posts: 3649
Joined: October 1st, 2018, 7:23 pm
Location: Dijon, France
Contact:

#1187

Post by Tim2460 »

Oops : didn't saw the hosting request : sorry
User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 10627
Joined: December 29th, 2012, 7:00 am
Contact:

#1188

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Tim2460 wrote: October 1st, 2020, 7:19 pm Oops : didn't saw the hosting request : sorry
No problem. I like hosting it and have the time. Just wanted to give someone else a chance.
User avatar
Fergenaprido
Donator
Posts: 5075
Joined: June 3rd, 2014, 6:00 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

#1189

Post by Fergenaprido »

Should we start having the discussion on which polls to run in 2021 (either here or in a separate thread)? The challenge schedule for next year is already being discussed, and I know we sometimes like to link the two.
User avatar
St. Gloede
Moderator
Posts: 12036
Joined: May 6th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#1190

Post by St. Gloede »

A separate 2021 Poll Planning thread, with a heading announcement, would be good.

I agree re: challenges. I really like the deadline of a poll to close after a challenge is done.

In previous years we often open them the month after, but it might be even more encouraging re: challenges - if the polls open with the challenge, and close on the 1st or 2nd the next month.
User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 10627
Joined: December 29th, 2012, 7:00 am
Contact:

#1191

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Fergenaprido wrote: October 10th, 2020, 12:34 pm Should we start having the discussion on which polls to run in 2021 (either here or in a separate thread)? The challenge schedule for next year is already being discussed, and I know we sometimes like to link the two.
I will start a topic soon for it.
User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 10627
Joined: December 29th, 2012, 7:00 am
Contact:

#1192

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

St. Gloede wrote: October 10th, 2020, 12:58 pm A separate 2021 Poll Planning thread, with a heading announcement, would be good.

I agree re: challenges. I really like the deadline of a poll to close after a challenge is done.

In previous years we often open them the month after, but it might be even more encouraging re: challenges - if the polls open with the challenge, and close on the 1st or 2nd the next month.
Since the challenge schedule most probably will be set before the Poll poll results are in and we start setting the Poll schedule, we can keep the challenge schedule in regard when setting the Poll schedule, when there's overlap. Like I always do.
Closing days have also do to with when hosts have time to process the results. That's why the Polls I run (almost) always end in the (last) weekend or a Wednesday.
User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 10627
Joined: December 29th, 2012, 7:00 am
Contact:

#1193

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Up next month is Silents. And up in December is TV-series. Cause I did Tv-series last time, I will do that one for sure again this time. I have no problem with doing Silents also, but if anyone else loves to do Silent, I'll step aside.

Else I will set up the nominations thread for Silents somewhere this week.
User avatar
Tim2460
Posts: 3649
Joined: October 1st, 2018, 7:23 pm
Location: Dijon, France
Contact:

#1194

Post by Tim2460 »

I'll take silents

Edit : sorry was replying on low bandwitch / Car (but not driving ,))

I'll setup an proper thread this week : is this the first ever silent Pool in your knowledge ?
User avatar
Tim2460
Posts: 3649
Joined: October 1st, 2018, 7:23 pm
Location: Dijon, France
Contact:

#1195

Post by Tim2460 »

Hello everyone.

Good news : i did, with Melvelet Help succeed in making an script work that grabs OMDB Data for a list of films.
The most interesting for us in the poll & challenge area is the IMDB "Country" Tag.
Small problem is that it's an Python script ... and so i'm launching it on one of my Unix machine.
Should be possible to make it run under windows ... but haven't tried it yet.

Added some of the new info on the silent result thread... but it seems i meesed up with the auto posting script on the way as it post the whole pack of film i pasted...

Are you supposed to remove the " at the start & finish of each film ? I did...
Maybe it's the tag the script uses to cut the text into different Film post ?
User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 10627
Joined: December 29th, 2012, 7:00 am
Contact:

#1196

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Tim2460 wrote: December 4th, 2020, 8:07 am Hello everyone.

Good news : i did, with Melvelet Help succeed in making an script work that grabs OMDB Data for a list of films.
The most interesting for us in the poll & challenge area is the IMDB "Country" Tag.
Small problem is that it's an Python script ... and so i'm launching it on one of my Unix machine.
Should be possible to make it run under windows ... but haven't tried it yet.

Added some of the new info on the silent result thread... but it seems i meesed up with the auto posting script on the way as it post the whole pack of film i pasted...

Are you supposed to remove the " at the start & finish of each film ? I did...
Maybe it's the tag the script uses to cut the text into different Film post ?
No, ~ is the tag the script used to cut the test it into different posts. I think, check the scripts thread to be sure.
mjf314
Moderator
Posts: 11660
Joined: May 8th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#1197

Post by mjf314 »

Yes, it's the ~ character. Here are the instructions for how to use the results-posting script: viewtopic.php?p=624111#p624111
User avatar
Tim2460
Posts: 3649
Joined: October 1st, 2018, 7:23 pm
Location: Dijon, France
Contact:

#1198

Post by Tim2460 »

Ha that's it... Got to repair 2 or 3 thing on the scripts and excel formula and rerun it ;)
User avatar
Tim2460
Posts: 3649
Joined: October 1st, 2018, 7:23 pm
Location: Dijon, France
Contact:

#1199

Post by Tim2460 »

Managed to repair everything i wanted and resume (auto)posting !
IMDB link back
TOP 1/5/50 filled with 0 when needeed
Added the number of voters on the spoiler title
Removed the poster ... if there is no poster ;)
User avatar
TraverseTown
Posts: 369
Joined: January 25th, 2013, 7:00 am
Location: USA
Contact:

#1200

Post by TraverseTown »

What year will be the first 2020s/current decade poll?
Post Reply