Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Coming of Age (Results), DtC - Ratings (Results), 1933 (May 12th), 1970s (May 29th)
Challenges: Japan, Mystery/Thriller, Western
Film of the Week: La donna del lago, June nominations (May 28th)

Future polls

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

I find just rational decay doesn't drop down enough, that's why my example was a mix of the two.
Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 »

Hard decision but i'll keep the 30 HL For silent.

Reused the settings i had with Mini series... should have been more carefull as Silent gives a bit longer lists.

The fact that a lot of mid range moves with HL 50 and most of all the Number one too drives my choice.

After all La passion was voted number one on 10 personnal Lists... i can't say it stole the victory.

Will ask Alison to upgrade the list soon.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Up first in 2021 is the "Under 50 checks" poll. Any one want to do that?
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: December 30th, 2020, 6:11 pm Up first in 2021 is the "Under 50 checks" poll. Any one want to do that?
I haven't hosted in a while, since Tim and you seem to be doing fine. I don't mind doing one again if it's necessary, but to be honest I prefer others to keep doing it.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 »

I'm leaving city for 4-5 days ... it could be difficult starting the poll before 04-05 January : if that's not a problem i can host !
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Tim2460 wrote: December 30th, 2020, 7:49 pm I'm leaving city for 4-5 days ... it could be difficult starting the poll before 04-05 January : if that's not a problem i can host !
No problem, I guess. Deadline in the last week of January.
ICM-profile
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Tim2460 wrote: December 30th, 2020, 7:49 pm I'm leaving city for 4-5 days ... it could be difficult starting the poll before 04-05 January : if that's not a problem i can host !
That’s no problem indeed
Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 »

Let's go then
Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 »

Under 50 Finished
Lists uploaded :

Top 250
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/icm+ ... s/tim2460/
Full List
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/icm+ ... t/tim2460/

I have posted the excel file on the result thread if you wanna take a look...
The full list is veryyyy long for such a special poll imho.

Out of the city to the montains for 1 week : take care
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Tim2460 wrote: February 5th, 2021, 4:13 pm Under 50 Finished
Lists uploaded :

Top 250
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/icm+ ... s/tim2460/
Full List
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/icm+ ... t/tim2460/

I have posted the excel file on the result thread if you wanna take a look...
The full list is veryyyy long for such a special poll imho.

Out of the city to the montains for 1 week : take care
You copied the text from another thread, but didn't copy the links correctly so they're not working.
ICM-profile
Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 »

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Who'll be running the favorite movies poll in March? I'm a bit worried if PA will do it, because we're still waiting for the results of the 2020 director's poll.
ICM-profile
Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 »

It's more complex than the usual Pools ?
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

PA always accepts group ranked lists, so if you or Lonewolf does it, some people have to accept the fact they have to make it ranked or partially ranked. Other than that, it's basically the same.
ICM-profile
Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 »

No problem for hosting then is PA is not available
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Only other problem is that we don't have all the previous rankings to make a complete history like below. Some you can get by downloading all previous versions of the list plus the runner ups lists, but that will take some effort. But the 1001-2000 lists for many years are missing, plus even with those the ranking outside the top 2000 will be missing, so it won't be complete.
It's not a huge problem, but a reason why I do hope PA does make a return to host it.

Also I don't know how he does those Top 1–10–50 calculations. But that could be figured out.

#1000(NEW) Siddeshwari (1990)
Directed by: Mani Kaul
(378.35 Pts, 7 Votes) , Top 1–10–50: 0–0–1
History: 100013841953249542398395NA6451←NA
ICheckMovies: 51 Checks , 7 Favourites , 2 Official lists
List of Voters:
beavis (22)
insomnius (72)
Pretentious Hipster (84)
Perception de Ambiguity (95)
rnilsson19 (NA)
hurluberlu (NA)
perceval (564)
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

PA is still present, so asking for the spreadsheet is possible.
ICM-profile
Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 »

And i already hae the top 1 10 50 on my own spreddsheat ,)
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

I'm willing to learn how to run such a poll, and I've no idea how to do it. Problem is: i don't think it's a good idea to do something for such a large and prestigious poll, but if there are no candidates for a smaller poll, i would be willing to do it, as long it's explained well to me.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Enough smaller polls coming up in the rest of the year. If you do a poll for the first time, best to start with a poll that hasn't been done before. Saves you some work.
ICM-profile
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Lakigigar wrote: February 24th, 2021, 5:28 pm I'm willing to learn how to run such a poll, and I've no idea how to do it. Problem is: i don't think it's a good idea to do something for such a large and prestigious poll, but if there are no candidates for a smaller poll, i would be willing to do it, as long it's explained well to me.
If you want to , you can do April’s Coming of Age poll. Like joachim says it’s easier to do a smaller poll first, especially one that hasn’t been done before. Plus you’re a big advocate of that poll, so it will be of extra interest to you.

Organizing a poll isn’t as half difficult as it seems, you mostly just need to right apps from this topic; viewtopic.php?f=4&t=997&p=105540&hilit=Scripts#p105540 and some excel skills. And for the last I can sent you a template of the sheet I use.
The apps/programs you def need are Listdownloader, filmcounter and imdbhelper (to make the IMDb list)
I can give you instructions if you want to do it.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

I think if i do one, coming-of-age will fit me indeed best. I just however have issues finishing stuff, but if i'm motivated i would do it. When i did organize the fok top 250, i had computer issues (still not solved, but I have easy access to another computer, it shouldn't be an issue anymore.)

But yes i'd certainly be willing to do it.
Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 »

Main tools are Java script and Excel
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Tim, you can go ahead and do the fav-movies poll. Or Lonewolf, you two decide.

PA will share his previous spreadsheet before the countdown, so all stats could be included.
ICM-profile
Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 »

Let's go then i'll host that one
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: February 24th, 2021, 7:45 pm The apps/programs you def need are Listdownloader, filmcounter and imdbhelper (to make the IMDb list)
I can give you instructions if you want to do it.
The script to post the results is useful as well (unless you prefer to do it manually). There's also a JavaScript version of list downloader which is a little bit easier to use (since you don't need to check what your cookies are).

When I find the time, I guess I should update the first post with links to the scripts.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

Seems like the biggest problem for me to organize a list is solved. I finally have my gaming laptop back, after 14 months being out of service, especially because of self-indulging people who expect that something for them is being done right away, and when their son has a problem, they wait 14 months, until my patience was over and took care of my problem myself, but my dad isn't going to have to expect help from me anytime soon, especially because I trusted him and I should've always did what I wanted to back than, and not listen to him when he supposedly has a better idea to "save money". But fine, problem is solved. That's why i wasn't able to finish fok! top 250 in january last year, and why some attempts on Moviemeter failed as well.

I finally took care of my problem when I saw that the laptop with the broken keyboard (so I manually click on manual keyboard always to type, or use cellphone or the main computer downstairs to type a message) started to have it's issues as well (lol). So just in time, it's all solved now, and i can finally switch to a much more convenient gaming laptop back again, and i can finally play some games again that demand much more power (but i'll have to prioritize watching movies for now).

Ironically despite the lower graphic card and the more than 50% broken keyboard, i still played some games like Assassin's Creed by switching all keys to keys that worked, and it still worked out to be good enough (LOL) because I was still able to play the game quite smoothly, while the graphics weren't terrible either, but I want to get the most out of it, when I play a game.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

Is there some demand for re-doing the 21st century "best of years" again. I mean, some of them (esp. the earlier ones) have been done a long time ago. ICM now has a different userbase, and the other users have been able to catch up with more movies produced and directed during those years. They don't have to replace earlier polls of course, just think it would be fun to do them again, especially given every year is already done sort of (although they don't have to be rushed, exactly because of that).
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

For the coming-of-age list, around when should I open the topic, and should I organize it or does someone else prefer to do it. And most importantly: how we are going to define coming-of-age (own definition, some definition).

I do have my own "all coming-of-age movies" list, but it has the same problem as the IMDb directorial debut list, it's not complete. I especially need to update it with more recent titles, but there are also titles in it where you can debate whether it's a coming-of-age movie or not, and some that are left out because of that.

RYM has a coming-of-age list database, but it has a stricter definition: "https://rateyourmusic.com/film_genre/Coming-of-Age/1
IMDb also has this in advanced search: "https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?keyw ... ing+of+age", which could be used. It's a database of 5100+ movies. But the definition might be a bit too wide, because I don't see how Titanic is a coming-of-age movie. (or Thor for example). While a lot of movies are also missing: "The Summer of Sangaile", "Respire" and "Kreuzweg" and I see them as much more coming-of-age than like Titanic or Thor for example, so i'm not sure if it's a good idea to use the IMDB advanced search label coming-of-age, because it totally wouldn't make sense.

What I could do is update my own Icheckmovies list with what is accepted by RYM as coming-of-age which will be a lot of work, but is something i'll trust more than what is defined by IMDb as coming-of-age.

There are currently 2874 titles defined as coming-of-age by RYM. But RYM has a distinct genre label for example for "teen movie". Heathers for example is not defined as coming-of-age, but as secondary coming-of-age. 1207 movies are secondary coming-of-age by RYM, so in total it's around 4081 movies that could be considered coming-of-age, but since the genre labels are often "user-voted", there could be flaws in that system, but I think RYM does still a better job in handling that job than what IMDb does. And should we only consider primary coming-of-age or also include secondary coming-of-age (or just teen movies and coming-of-ages instead)?

I could update my list, which would be an insane amount of work, but for purpose of creating this list it could be necessary. Or everyone defines manually what coming-of-age is to them and narrow that definition to their own likes (by checking their toplist they created, and determining whether it's coming-of-age or not.

So i'm not sure how to do it.
Teen movies are films targeted at teenagers and young adults and usually based upon the special interests of the demographic. Topics may include peer pressure, first love, teenage rebellion or angst, and are often set in high schools or colleges.
Coming-of-age films, as the name suggests, revolve around stories about passing from adolescence to adulthood. They are generally the cinematic form of the literary Bildungsroman genre, which focuses around moral growth and character change.

In the film medium this is usually focused around a protagonist (or small group of protagonists) and their mental growth. It can either centre around a singular event which helps propel this (such as a great shock, overcoming a harsh life event, learning an important life lesson, etc.) or can be a longer portrayal of multiple years of progress and growth. Boyhood (2014) is an example of the latter, following more than a decade of character growth.

Specific age groups divide coming-of-age films; some focus on pre-teens: My Girl (1991), The Sandlot (1993), and 千と千尋の神隠し [Spirited Away] (2001), whilst the majority focus on the high school/teenage years: American Pie (1999), Ghost World (2001), and Superbad (2007). Animated films featuring non-human characters coming of age are also common, such as Bambi (1942), 魔女の宅急便 [Kiki's Delivery Service] (1989), and The Lion King [De Leeuwenkoning] (1994).
Not all teen movies are considered coming-of-age by RYM.

It's possible to select on both coming-of-age and teen movie (and select on all movies you've rated that has either one of those labels, but it requires a RYM account. And secondly there's no way to import your own rated movies from a central database (much demanded feature on RYM, but there's no way to do it as of now). So i might have to do the job to update my own list with all movies considered coming-of-age or teen movies to my central "A Comphrensive List of Coming-of-Age Pictures", and than everyone will have to check what their favs or checks are on my list, i suppose (if they want to use the RYM definition instead of manually selecting it from their toplist).

I'm not sure if that will work of will it have too many flaws again?
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

Can someone export this list to an excel file, so i can import it on my ICM list (i can't clone a list, because i'm not a letterboxd pro), and than I could check what is missing from RYM teen and coming-of-age films and manually add those. That would already be a lot of help, to reduce the flaws, and make it much easier for people who don't want to manually do all the work to just consult my ICM list (i would of course credit the letterboxd list, it already has a credit from a user on MM who compiled the coming-of-age movies that I added to an ICM list). That way, the number of participants might increase.

https://letterboxd.com/moviemaestro/lis ... ur-rating/

Is it also possible to automatically rank your list you created chronologically after you've imported a bunch of movies, or is that not possible (not a huge issue, but i like chronological order).

EDIT: Another issue is, you can't import lists from ICM (or any other website) to IMDb I believe... which is an issue for people who only rate on IMDb or don't have an ICM account (although why would you be here otherwise if you don't check). You can always however check whatever you checked on my ICM list, and create a list on IMDb that way based on what you like out of all the checks, and i will be able to import that. But there won't be an IMDb list, because i'm not going to make an IMDb list with +- 4000 movies (unless there's a way to export from ICM and import to IMDb).

____

If people want to manually define what is coming-of-age to them, also ok with that. If people don't, the ICM list i will update will be a big help (but I need the letterboxd excel file for it).
pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

Lakigigar wrote: March 10th, 2021, 2:36 pm Another issue is, you can't import lists from ICM (or any other website) to IMDb I believe...
There's a way to do that:

1) Your iCM list is just a collection of IMDb links. If you go to the page to edit a list, then clicking on the "By IMDb movie URL(s)" tab, you have the list of IMDb URLs

2) With Excel, you can transform an URL into an ID
For example if you have https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033467/, then with the =RIGHT(cell;10) formula you can extract the ID ("tt0033467/") in that case

3) Then with the script that joachimt mentioned in the Favourite Directors Poll Results thread (https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/11617 ... ist-helper) you can automatically make a list with a bunch of IDs you submit
"Art is like a fire, it is born from the very thing it burns" - Jean-Luc Godard
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

pitchorneirda wrote: March 10th, 2021, 2:55 pm
Lakigigar wrote: March 10th, 2021, 2:36 pm Another issue is, you can't import lists from ICM (or any other website) to IMDb I believe...
There's a way to do that:

1) Your iCM list is just a collection of IMDb links. If you go to the page to edit a list, then clicking on the "By IMDb movie URL(s)" tab, you have the list of IMDb URLs

2) With Excel, you can transform an URL into an ID
For example if you have https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033467/, then with the =RIGHT(cell;10) formula you can extract the ID ("tt0033467/") in that case

3) Then with the script that joachimt mentioned in the Favourite Directors Poll Results thread (https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/11617 ... ist-helper) you can automatically make a list with a bunch of IDs you submit
Okay thanks that's great! Will do that whenever the ICM list is finished, but first I need the letterboxd list (and than manually add some movies from RYM to my list), and when it's ready, than i'll import it to IMDb through your method.

Thanks!
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

It's not possible to export LB lists unless they're you're own, from what I can tell. That's a cool list on LB. I know it's in no order, but I've actually seen all 100 films on the first page, which never happens for me.

I can try and clone it and then export my data and see if it gives me IMDB URLs or not (it might only give LB or TMDB URLs).

Oh, and if you're going to host the poll, then yes, you should start the topic :) You can wait until April starts, or after the Forum Favourite countdown has finished, your choice.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Just tried. Exporting the list only gives a LB URL.

I've never used it, but maybe mjf's script that gathers URLs from webpages would work on Letterboxd.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

The answers seems to be yes, but we need a better central topic for scripts with a better opening post, because right now it's a thread that is a maze with 25 pages, and it makes it insanely hard to look for whatever you need.

So while it seems to be yes, i have no idea what to download and what to do, because that thread is so unreadable and a maze.
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

I have a script that searches for regexes, which can be used on any website including Letterboxd. I just customized it to make it work for Letterboxd.

Code: Select all

// ==UserScript==
// @name         get letterboxd lists
// @match        https://letterboxd.com/*
// @require      https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/FileSaver.js/2.0.0/FileSaver.min.js
// ==/UserScript==

function download(filename, text) {
  let blob = new Blob([text], {type: "text/plain;charset=utf-8"});
  saveAs(blob, filename);
}

function openText(text) {
    const x = URL.createObjectURL(new Blob([text], {type: 'text/plain'}));
    location.href = x;
}

function parseRange(url) {
    const pagesRegex = /\{.{1,100}\}/;
    let pages = url.match(pagesRegex);
    if (!pages) return url;
    pages = pages[0].replaceAll(/{|}/g, '').split(',');
    if (pages.length < 2) return url;
    let start = Number(pages[0]), end = Number(pages[1]), increment = pages.length >= 3 ? Number(pages[2]) : 1;
    let urls = [];
    for (let page = start; page <= end; page += increment) {
        urls.push(url.replace(pagesRegex, page));
    }
    return urls;
}

async function getRegexes(urls, regexes, options={}) {
    if (typeof urls == 'string')
        urls = [urls];
    urls = [].concat(...urls.map(url => parseRange(url)));
    if (!Array.isArray(regexes))
        regexes = [regexes];
    let allMatches = '';
    for (let i in urls) {
        document.querySelector('#progress').innerHTML = `Progress: ${i} / ${urls.length}`;
        if (i > 0)
            await new Promise(r => setTimeout(r, 1500));
        let page = await fetch(urls[i]);
        page = await page.text();
        let matches = regexes.map(regex => page.match(regex));
        let counts = matches.map(match => (match ? match.length : 0));
        let maxCount = Math.max(...counts);
        allMatches += urls[i] + '|';
        if (options.oneLine)
            allMatches += matches.join('|') + '\n';
        else {
            for (let j = 0; j < maxCount; j++)
                allMatches += (j === 0 ? '' : '|') + matches.map(match => (match && match[j] ? match[j] : '')).join('|') + '\n';
        }
    }
    document.querySelector('#progress').innerHTML = `Progress: ${urls.length} / ${urls.length}`;
    if (options.download)
        download('matches.txt', allMatches);
    else
        openText(allMatches);
}

function addBox(selector, position, regex, options={}) {
    document.querySelector(selector).insertAdjacentHTML(position, `<br><textarea id="urls" style="height:30px; width:125px;" placeholder="urls"></textarea>
<br><input id="download" type="button" value="Find regexes">
<br><div id="progress"></div>`);
    document.querySelector('#download').addEventListener('click', () => {
        let urls = document.querySelector('#urls').value.split('\n').filter((r) => r);
        getRegexes(urls, regex, options);
    });
}

const filmRegex = /(?<=data-film-slug=")\/film\/.{1,100}?\//g;
const imdbRegex = /http:\/\/www.imdb.com\/title\/.{1,100}?\//g;
addBox('.list-title-intro', 'beforeend', filmRegex);
//addBox('.list-title-intro', 'beforeend', imdbRegex, {oneLine: true});
How to use the script:

1. Open the list page. In this case i would be https://letterboxd.com/moviemaestro/lis ... e-list-of/
2. Inside the "urls" box, enter the following:
https://letterboxd.com/moviemaestro/lis ... ge/{1,37}/
3. Click "find regexes". When it finishes, you'll see output that looks like this:

https://letterboxd.com/moviemaestro/list/teenage-wasteland-a-comprehensive-list-of/|/film/ferris-buellers-day-off/
|/film/teen-wolf/
|/film/the-breakfast-club/
|/film/american-pie/
|/film/boyhood/
4. Paste the output into Excel. Then click data, text to columns, next, enter | (the vertical bar) in the "other" box, and click finish. Now the Letterboxd film URLs should be in column B.
5. Edit the script: Comment the 2nd-to-last line, and uncomment the last line. After you do this, it should look like this:

//addBox('.list-title-intro', 'beforeend', filmRegex);
addBox('.list-title-intro', 'beforeend', imdbRegex, {oneLine: true});
6. Go back to the list page. Paste all of the Letterboxd film URLs into the "urls" box, and click "find regexes".
7. Wait for it to finish. This part will probably take a few hours (because it opens every film page one at a time). When it finishes, you'll see output that looks like this:

/film/ferris-buellers-day-off/|http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091042/
/film/teen-wolf/|http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090142/
/film/the-breakfast-club/|http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088847/
/film/american-pie/|http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0163651/
/film/boyhood/|http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1065073/
8. Paste the output into Excel and separate it into columns, the same way you did in step 4.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

Thanks, in the meantime, i already downloaded 8 user scripts for all IMDb or ICM but i didn't found the one i had to.

And i also have no idea what to do with .zip files that have a .jar file in them (very confused), so i have found listcounter 8.3 but i have no idea how it works.

Tampermonkey and all seems to work fine, but there needs definitely a bit more oversight, because it's absolutely chaotic that thread (and the links on page 1 are all dead).
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

Extract the jar from the zip. Then you should be able to run the jar file by double-clicking it. If you can't run it, you probably need to install Java on your computer.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

mjf314 wrote: March 10th, 2021, 9:33 pm Extract the jar from the zip. Then you should be able to run the jar file by double-clicking it. If you can't run it, you probably need to install Java on your computer.
I think the unzip program might be trash (Ashampoo Zip). It's weird. I can click on it but it opens the documents inside the .jar file. It doesn't run it. And i'm not sure what to do with it.

I have never issues with winrar though for .rar files.

Also your script seems to work, i'm currently at step 7. It might be weird, but step 2 was the hardest, because it was hard to find the right link, because this forum abbreviated your link, and also clicking on it, give a different link than needed to be, so i had to quote your post (but not the post the quote), to get inside the contents of your post, copy the right link and than paste it, and than it worked. Now i also sort of have an idea or blueprint if i have to do it again (with /page/{first page, last page})
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

To check if you have Java installed, open command prompt and type
java --version

If it says "java is not recognized" then you'll need to install it.

It's been such a long time since I installed Java, I'm not sure if I can help you with that, but maybe someone else can post instructions.