Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: 1970s (Results), 1950 (Jun 24th), Japan (Jun 30th), Essential Cinema (Jul 11th)
Challenges: Italy, Queer Cinema, Film From Each Year
Film of the Week: Drive a Crooked Road, July nominations (Jun 25th)

Red Planet Films (Essential Cinema/Film Canon) - Discussion

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

Lakigigar wrote: June 11th, 2021, 6:29 pm You have to wonder why our own top 1000 list doesn't even have one unofficial movie in it. Not even one... . I think our focus is way too narrowminded, especially with watching all that is official and none that aren't, while there are plenty of good unofficial movies too, sometimes unknown gems.
Pleasantville is on 0 official lists.
Rapture is on 1 official list, but it's 500<400, so it's not fair to count it, because it's only official because of this forum.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

mjf314 wrote: June 11th, 2021, 7:18 pm
Lakigigar wrote: June 11th, 2021, 6:29 pm You have to wonder why our own top 1000 list doesn't even have one unofficial movie in it. Not even one... . I think our focus is way too narrowminded, especially with watching all that is official and none that aren't, while there are plenty of good unofficial movies too, sometimes unknown gems.
Pleasantville is on 0 official lists.
Rapture is on 1 official list, but it's 500<400, so it's not fair to count it, because it's only official because of this forum.
Yes you're right, but than we're still talking about two unofficial movies that made the list. Doesn't exactly change the point i'm making, even if i'm not right about the exact numbers.
Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin »

Why does this board not establish a critical consensus about movies that other critics/audiences have not formed a critical consensus on? It baffles the mind! Our board must be narrowminded.
Top 100 | Top 250

Member of the Experimental Mafia | What's My Line? #1 Fan

Caracortada

Post by Caracortada »

Lakigigar wrote: June 11th, 2021, 6:29 pmI think our focus is way too narrowminded, especially with watching all that is official and none that aren't, while there are plenty of good unofficial movies too, sometimes unknown gems.
Many forum members have many unofficial favorites. The problem is that everybody has different unofficial favorites, so if you count the points you still end up with the more obvious titles. Those are the only movies that get lots of votes. There are other projects that focus on underrated gems.
Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin »

Caracortada wrote: June 12th, 2021, 12:01 pm
Lakigigar wrote: June 11th, 2021, 6:29 pmI think our focus is way too narrowminded, especially with watching all that is official and none that aren't, while there are plenty of good unofficial movies too, sometimes unknown gems.
Many forum members have many unofficial favorites. The problem is that everybody has different unofficial favorites, so if you count the points you still end up with the more obvious titles. Those are the only movies that get lots of votes. There are other projects that focus on underrated gems.
No the forum is fascist anglo-saxon-sino-french-german imperialist bigots! I am the only enlightened and tolerant one! I will probably be banned by the cocksuckers now for being a brave truth teller, but fuck it! tehe
Top 100 | Top 250

Member of the Experimental Mafia | What's My Line? #1 Fan

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu »

Dolwphin wrote: June 13th, 2021, 12:05 am
Caracortada wrote: June 12th, 2021, 12:01 pm
No the forum is fascist anglo-saxon-sino-french-german imperialist bigots! I am the only enlightened and tolerant one! I will probably be banned by the cocksuckers now for being a brave truth teller, but fuck it! tehe
Another big ego semi-troll that knows better, yeah ! :lol:
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage
Caracortada

Post by Caracortada »

Here's my attempt. I started with a list of more than seventy, and had to make some hard choices. Twenty-five films out of fifty are in English. Of course such a list can never be final, and people will disagree with it, but it was a fun exercise.

Fifty Essential Films
Coop032

Post by Coop032 »

I'm down. I think my list will mostly include films that aren't necessarily flat out loved by all, but definitely deserve a viewing from cinephiles no matter how you end up feeling about it in the end.

Both or neither of them may make my list but the first examples that come to mind are Vincent Gallo's Buffalo '66 and The Brown Bunny.
pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

Pitchorneirda's Essential Cinema

It's not perfect but in a dozen attempts, it's the closest I've been to being satisfied...
"Art is like a fire, it is born from the very thing it burns" - Jean-Luc Godard
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

Should we submit our ballots here? The thread title still says "Discussion."

A lie ain't a 'side of the story.' It's just a lie.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

outdoorcats wrote: June 17th, 2021, 4:32 pm Should we submit our ballots here? The thread title still says "Discussion."
My initial plan was indeed to have separate threads for Discussion, Nominations, and Results, as I wasn't sure the idea would get enough support at first. I keep meaning to create a new nominations thread, but I keep getting sidetracked with other things. I'll do it tonight!

I'll transfer any lists that have already been posted in this thread so that people don't have to repost them. :)
🧚‍♂️🦫
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

So, clearly by "tonight", I meant today's tonight, not yesterday's tonight. :P
New Nominations thread is up.
joachimt wrote: May 16th, 2021, 5:56 am I have added this to the header as a poll. If the title or deadline changes, let me know.
I've changed the deadline to July 11th.
beavis wrote: May 16th, 2021, 7:03 am Taking all such things into consideration...
Only 50 makes it hard to both cover the entire history and get in the best of the most essential, but this is my first attempt:
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/poll ... 50/beavis/
Counting this as your submission in the nominations thread, FYI.
Caracortada wrote: June 13th, 2021, 5:40 pm Here's my attempt. I started with a list of more than seventy, and had to make some hard choices. Twenty-five films out of fifty are in English. Of course such a list can never be final, and people will disagree with it, but it was a fun exercise.

Fifty Essential Films
Counting this as your submission in the nominations thread, FYI.

pitchorneirda wrote: June 17th, 2021, 1:48 pm Pitchorneirda's Essential Cinema
I get a 404 error for this link. I assume you meant https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/pitc ... horneirda/ ?
🧚‍♂️🦫
pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

Yes, sorry, I changed back my username in iCM from kirigrap to pitchorneirda, that must have changed the URL
"Art is like a fire, it is born from the very thing it burns" - Jean-Luc Godard
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

Ok, so 50 films is the only restriction, right?

I would create a new film that contains every film of the TSPDT top 2000, in order.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

mjf314 wrote: June 20th, 2021, 4:50 am I would create a new film that contains every film of the TSPDT top 2000, in order.
You're jailed for copyright.
hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu »

Why limit submissions to 50 films if the end goal is a 96 films list ?
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/mars+50/onderhond/

I kinda felt bad for the people on Mars, so I'm sending a secret stash of 50 films.