Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Animation (Results), 2016 awards (Aug 25th), 1987 (Aug 25th), Benelux (Aug 30th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Romance, UK/Ireland, <400 Checks
Film of the Week: Hospital, September nominations (Aug 30th)

iCM Forum's Favourite Films of the Current Decade So Far; 2019 edition; Nominations

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
hurluberlu
Donator

Re: iCM Forum's Favourite Films of the Current Decade So Far; 2019 edition; Nominations

Post by hurluberlu » June 8th, 2019, 9:29 am

My list
Top 7 ranked, rest unranked
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage

cinewest

Post by cinewest » June 9th, 2019, 9:59 am

Ten new ones have worked their way into my top 100, with "Burning" leading the way.

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls068551701/
Last edited by cinewest on June 9th, 2019, 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cinewest

Post by cinewest » June 10th, 2019, 8:23 am

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 8:03 pm
My plan is to do this at least next year again also, so we cover the remainder of 2019. After that we could do this a couple years later again, probably after we redone all other decade polls, to see how those years influenced the list and more people have had time to catch up on a lot of them. .
Yes, many of the 2019 films won't be available to everyone until some time in 2020 or even 2021, and there are a lot that have slipped under the radar over the course of the decade.

Most of the "end of decade" lists produced by film resources like Sight & Sound and Film Comment, Cashiers..., etc will be incomplete, as well, due to films that haven't been seen yet.

Coryn

Post by Coryn » June 10th, 2019, 11:02 am

I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » June 10th, 2019, 12:06 pm

cinewest wrote:
June 10th, 2019, 8:23 am
Lonewolf2003 wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 8:03 pm
My plan is to do this at least next year again also, so we cover the remainder of 2019. After that we could do this a couple years later again, probably after we redone all other decade polls, to see how those years influenced the list and more people have had time to catch up on a lot of them. .
Yes, many of the 2019 films won't be available to everyone until some time in 2020 or even 2021, and there are a lot that have slipped under the radar over the course of the decade.

Most of the "end of decade" lists produced by film resources like Sight & Sound and Film Comment, Cashiers..., etc will be incomplete, as well, due to films that haven't been seen yet.
Yeah we should revisit 2010s as a decade in a few years, fairer to the late-decade films that way. We started this poll in 2013, films from 2010-12 have been eligible every single time, but 2019 only gets one shot.

When we get to the 2020s if we still want to do a regular poll for recent years I think it'd be better being replaced by a rolling poll 'favourite of the last X years' rather than 'the current decade', so each year you do the poll, the latest year becomes eligible but the oldest year is removed. e.g. if it was 5 years, films from 2015 onwards would be eligible in 2020, then 2016 onwards in 2021 and so forth. Keeps it fresher if the list gets shook up with exits as well as entrances, plus it cancels out that bias towards early-decade films

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » June 10th, 2019, 1:55 pm

I like the idea of exploring the films of the last 10 years, and it is interesting to break down the arbitrary, but oh so seductive barriers known as decades.

-

We will always revisit and re-assess each decade at regular intervals, both as a forum and as a larger cinephile/film buff community, and that can be a lot of fun. I have no strong feelings either way of the decade that was - and honestly still see it as an extension of the 00s, or just the 21st century as a whole. I am looking forward to being able to see narratives spun around the decade, just as how the 80s slowly became not just the decade of action, but also the decade of art cinema. The 00s has already managed to build a slight story with the rise of South Korea and Iran, and the consistent fall of most traditional movie countries (sans Japan), and of course "darker" mainstream renderings (which continues to this day). Decades may be arbitrary, but there is something so fantastically modernist (and nice and clean) to be able to construct a grand narrative about them and place them in a neat little box (half serious, half not)

cinewest

Post by cinewest » June 10th, 2019, 4:55 pm

St. Gloede wrote:
June 10th, 2019, 1:55 pm
I like the idea of exploring the films of the last 10 years, and it is interesting to break down the arbitrary, but oh so seductive barriers known as decades.

-

We will always revisit and re-assess each decade at regular intervals, both as a forum and as a larger cinephile/film buff community, and that can be a lot of fun. I have no strong feelings either way of the decade that was - and honestly still see it as an extension of the 00s, or just the 21st century as a whole. I am looking forward to being able to see narratives spun around the decade, just as how the 80s slowly became not just the decade of action, but also the decade of art cinema. The 00s has already managed to build a slight story with the rise of South Korea and Iran, and the consistent fall of most traditional movie countries (sans Japan), and of course "darker" mainstream renderings (which continues to this day). Decades may be arbitrary, but there is something so fantastically modernist (and nice and clean) to be able to construct a grand narrative about them and place them in a neat little box (half serious, half not)
I think that both you and Brokenface make good points.

Films at the end of a decade often get left out of these kinds of lists, but wouldn't the same thing happen with a list that considers the past 5 or 10 years to those at the end?

As for your notion of "narratives being spun" around each decade, I think that this is true, though often they are more apt in describing movements in cinema, that doesn't quite line up the way decades do.

Still, I count myself as guilty as anyone in looking the ("nice and clean") decades in film history as though they describe a certain distinct period. The favored 60's, for example really began in the late 50's, and there were plenty of films that foreshadowed it. It didn't really end with the 70's, either, but continued for a few years thereafter. And if we really look at it closely, we can see that it was really made up of several consecutive revolutions that happened in different places somewhat differently, mirroring the changes taking place in the world, as they influenced one another like the after shocks of a rumbling earthquake.

While there have been some major changes in filmmaking over the years prompted by technological advances and big social changes, the nature of cinema has tended towards a more gradual evolution that seem to mirror the way the seasons change, shifting back and forth some, before moving on and incorporating what has come before.

One of the reasons I find the 00's so interesting is that World Cinema, for the first time seemed to truly encompass the world, though this "movement" can be traced back at least as far as the advent of digital movie cameras, when making films suddenly became more accessible to less privileged people in less privileged places, where approaches to film narrative were often as different as the places themselves. While the 00's weren't driven by the revolutionary experimentalism of the 60's, and English language films were rather conventional during this decade (apart from a few unique stylists), unique and very sophisticated approaches seemed to appear just about anywhere, often in places and languages without established film industries.

And this has continued in the 2010's to include more and more voices that have previously been comparatively quiet, or not nearly as accomplished cinematically (And, here, I include more English language indies, which were generally less visually imaginative in previous decades).

Just my 2 cents for the moment....

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » June 10th, 2019, 5:51 pm

I'm all for "favorite movies of the last 10 years" to be held annually. :clap:
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

albajos

Post by albajos » June 10th, 2019, 5:56 pm

would that be including the year it is held? so 2011-2020 next year, so basically 9,5 years.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » June 10th, 2019, 6:00 pm

Let's figure that out next year.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

beasterne

Post by beasterne » June 10th, 2019, 8:14 pm

Fully ranked and updated list from last year's poll; added some new movies and also moved things around a bit.

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/favo ... beasterne/

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » June 10th, 2019, 8:21 pm

beasterne wrote:
June 10th, 2019, 8:14 pm
Fully ranked and updated list from last year's poll; added some new movies and also moved things around a bit.

I'm getting the "403 error - access denied" message when clicking on your list, so I think you might have it set to private. :)
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin » June 10th, 2019, 11:51 pm

(Not complaining about his list, just noticing that our favorite Bressonian actor is excluded from it)
Top 200 | https://rateyourmusic.com/~Dolwphin

Member of the Experimental Mafia.

beasterne

Post by beasterne » June 11th, 2019, 4:25 am

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
June 10th, 2019, 8:21 pm
beasterne wrote:
June 10th, 2019, 8:14 pm

I'm getting the "403 error - access denied" message when clicking on your list, so I think you might have it set to private. :)
Thanks for the heads up, it was set to friends only for some reason. Should be working now!

Mate_cosido

Post by Mate_cosido » June 11th, 2019, 2:51 pm

I may add a few more, or change something, but i will post now so i don't forget like the last poll

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls068506139/

ranked 1-28, rest unranked

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » June 11th, 2019, 5:37 pm

iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » June 14th, 2019, 2:42 pm

Updated the OP. Please check if your list is stated, sorted and linked correctly
I count 44 voters so far.

zzzorf

Post by zzzorf » June 15th, 2019, 4:26 am

I have updated my list from last year, as per usual ranked according to my Flickchart
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/my+t ... 0s/zzzorf/

psychotronicbeatnik
Donator

Post by psychotronicbeatnik » June 15th, 2019, 10:30 pm

I've got several movies from the last two years lined up to watch this month so I will probably revisit this, but the list is currently Unranked and likely to stay that way even if I add a few more titles.

Unranked: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls068591579/

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » June 16th, 2019, 12:17 am

psychotronicbeatnik wrote:
June 15th, 2019, 10:30 pm
I've got several movies from the last two years lined up to watch this month so I will probably revisit this, but the list is currently Unranked and likely to stay that way even if I add a few more titles.

A Clark Ashton Smith bio? Tell me more!

Gordon_Gekko

Post by Gordon_Gekko » June 17th, 2019, 6:28 am

Gordon_Gekko wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 12:39 pm
Ranked:
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls049773105/
Updated

Thought "Chernobyl" would just be some of this hyped stuff... but it's really great. (l)

Moreover I watched some films I did not know yet named on other user's lists and "Two days, one night" and "Oslo, 31. August" were awesome, too (in a depremising way)

AB537

Post by AB537 » June 17th, 2019, 6:44 pm

Mysterious Dude wrote:
June 17th, 2019, 2:35 pm
AB537 wrote:
June 17th, 2019, 12:55 am
My list, entirely ranked: https://www.icheckmovies.com/listsettin ... s/?success
That link doesn't work, but I think I found your list:

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/ab53 ... 10s/ab537/
That is indeed my list, thanks for your help!

psychotronicbeatnik
Donator

Post by psychotronicbeatnik » June 18th, 2019, 11:05 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
June 16th, 2019, 12:17 am

I've been a fan of Smith's fantasy works for a few years, but I was largely unaware of his poetry and completely unaware of his art and sculpture as well as his life until a friend loaned me this Bluray last year shortly after the film premiered at the Lovecraft Festival in Portland, OR. Like the other big two Weird Tales writers (Howard and Lovecraft), Smith lived a very unusual life, somewhat isolated but filled with a few strong relationships. I found his biography as presented in this doco very compelling, and feel that I will eventually want to own this and revisit it from time to time.

The film weaves together a lot of various materials from current interviews with people who either knew or were influenced by him, readings from his works, and lots of footage of his artwork and homes. It is filled with words, including Smith's own voice at time, yet I found it oddly meditative. And there's at least two extended interviews with Harlan Ellison that left me chuckling for days.

If you want the DVD or Bluray you have to purchase it direct from Hippocampus Press but I believe it is also available streaming on a couple of sites.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » June 19th, 2019, 12:13 am

June 18th, 2019, 11:05 pm
OldAle1 wrote:

I've been a fan of Smith's fantasy works for a few years, but I was largely unaware of his poetry and completely unaware of his art and sculpture as well as his life until a friend loaned me this Bluray last year shortly after the film premiered at the Lovecraft Festival in Portland, OR. Like the other big two Weird Tales writers (Howard and Lovecraft), Smith lived a very unusual life, somewhat isolated but filled with a few strong relationships. I found his biography as presented in this doco very compelling, and feel that I will eventually want to own this and revisit it from time to time.

The film weaves together a lot of various materials from current interviews with people who either knew or were influenced by him, readings from his works, and lots of footage of his artwork and homes. It is filled with words, including Smith's own voice at time, yet I found it oddly meditative. And there's at least two extended interviews with Harlan Ellison that left me chuckling for days.

If you want the DVD or Bluray you have to purchase it direct from Hippocampus Press but I believe it is also available streaming on a couple of sites.
That sounds really great. I don't know Smith's work that well though I have quite a few books - more a collector than reader, sadly - but I certainly know a bit about his connection with other WT writers, and I've read and loved most of Lovecraft's fiction and a fair bit of Howard's, and a few of the minor writers of the era. And always happy to expand my knowledge - I may just buy the thing but it definitely goes on the upper reaches of the to-see list now.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » June 19th, 2019, 5:09 am

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls055696213/ Have a few things to add still but just in case I forget to update before the deadline, I figured it's safest to post now...
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

psychotronicbeatnik
Donator

Post by psychotronicbeatnik » June 19th, 2019, 5:15 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
June 19th, 2019, 12:13 am
June 18th, 2019, 11:05 pm
OldAle1 wrote:

That sounds really great. I don't know Smith's work that well though I have quite a few books - more a collector than reader, sadly - but I certainly know a bit about his connection with other WT writers, and I've read and loved most of Lovecraft's fiction and a fair bit of Howard's, and a few of the minor writers of the era. And always happy to expand my knowledge - I may just buy the thing but it definitely goes on the upper reaches of the to-see list now.
When I included it on my list I knew it was hopeless that it would get on the bigger ICM list since I am currently the only check for it so your interest is very gratifying. I collect as well as read, and my pulp reading tends to get done in 2 or 3 month-long spurts every couple of years so I am always hopelessly behind in my reading. But I get just as much pleasure from just looking at the artwork from Weird Tales and other pulps of the era. And knowing that I still have Smith or Howard works in reserve, as well as a host of others, for that next immersion.

:cheers: