This is our new forum, if you have questions see THIS THREAD
If you had an account we've reset the password, click the "I forgot my password" link on the login page and check your spam. If you still have trouble go to the old forum and check your PMs or make a post for help, or send an email to Admin@icmforum.com
Thank you to everyone who donated to our fundraiser: https://fundrazr.com/01Mtqd for helping make this happen.
500<400 2018 Update: Submit your list!! (Sep 19th)
Polls: 1925 (Results), 2014 awards (Aug 23rd), Middle East (Sep 1st)
Challenges: 1990s + 21st Cent, <400 Checks, Middle East
World Cup: Round 2 preparation (Aug 17th)
Film of the Week: La ardilla roja

ICM Forum's 500<400 2018 Nominations Sept 19

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
User avatar
albajos
Posts: 3396
Joined: May 24, 2016
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: ICM Forum's 500<400 2018 Nominations Sept 19

#81

Post by albajos » August 3rd, 2018, 7:59 pm

I think about 95% of all norwegian theatrical releases are still under 400 checks. And I guess it's similar for many other countries too.

400 is a good limit to get some quaiity internationl movies here.


User avatar
Harco
Donator
Posts: 356
Joined: May 03, 2013
Location: Groningen, Netherlands
Contact:

#83

Post by Harco » August 4th, 2018, 8:23 pm

Nathan Treadway wrote:
August 3rd, 2018, 4:14 pm
Harco wrote:
August 3rd, 2018, 3:53 pm
Last year's ranked list: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls074203589/

Does anyone have a quick way to see which are ineligible?
There's a link on the first post.
Oops. :D Thanks!

User avatar
zzzorf
Posts: 107
Joined: Apr 14, 2018
Location: Kempsey, NSW, Australia
Contact:

#84

Post by zzzorf » August 5th, 2018, 12:16 am

Just a quick question for everyone. What is everyone's thoughts on what's the best type of list. I have been slowly going through and doing up my initial list and the more I add the more I'm struggling to get the list to look couture as I rank them. I am nearly tempted just to put them in tiers even though it seems like a cheap way out. What are others thoughts?

User avatar
PeacefulAnarchy
Moderator
Posts: 20788
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#85

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » August 5th, 2018, 7:26 am

zzzorf wrote:
August 5th, 2018, 12:16 am
Just a quick question for everyone. What is everyone's thoughts on what's the best type of list. I have been slowly going through and doing up my initial list and the more I add the more I'm struggling to get the list to look couture as I rank them. I am nearly tempted just to put them in tiers even though it seems like a cheap way out. What are others thoughts?
Realisticaly tiered lists are probably the most accurate reflection of how most people actually rank lists, since big distinctions are meaningful but a lot of films are essentially tied with each other. But they're also more work for me so make a ranked list :P

User avatar
zzzorf
Posts: 107
Joined: Apr 14, 2018
Location: Kempsey, NSW, Australia
Contact:

#86

Post by zzzorf » August 5th, 2018, 8:05 am

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
August 5th, 2018, 7:26 am
zzzorf wrote:
August 5th, 2018, 12:16 am
Just a quick question for everyone. What is everyone's thoughts on what's the best type of list. I have been slowly going through and doing up my initial list and the more I add the more I'm struggling to get the list to look couture as I rank them. I am nearly tempted just to put them in tiers even though it seems like a cheap way out. What are others thoughts?
Realisticaly tiered lists are probably the most accurate reflection of how most people actually rank lists, since big distinctions are meaningful but a lot of films are essentially tied with each other. But they're also more work for me so make a ranked list :P
That is about what I thought. I will keep it ranked, I will just try to polish it up a bit when I finally get the rest of the movies added to it.

matthewscott8
Donator
Posts: 784
Joined: May 13, 2015
Contact:

#87

Post by matthewscott8 » August 5th, 2018, 8:20 pm

300 for 500 < 400. Expanded my list out this year. Right, need to go lie down in a dark room now.

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls020818620/

This is ranked in order from 1-300
Last edited by matthewscott8 on August 7th, 2018, 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.



User avatar
Hunziker
Posts: 768
Joined: Nov 03, 2014
Location: Mexico City, Mexico
Contact:

#90

Post by Hunziker » August 7th, 2018, 5:01 pm

It still needs some work, but here's my list, ranked in three tiers: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/hunz ... /hunziker/




Ebbywebby
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sep 10, 2012
Contact:

#94

Post by Ebbywebby » August 11th, 2018, 7:17 pm

Well, The Story of the Fox, The Horse's Mouth and Frantz reached the 400 threshold now....off limits.
Ebbywebby wrote:
July 31st, 2018, 11:18 pm
RAISE the threshold? I think it should be LOWERED, if anything. It feels ridiculous to compile a list of elite, "obscure" films when close to 60% of my checks qualify for inclusion.

Oh, and I really hope certain films like The Three-Sided Mirror, Brewster McCloud, Realite, The Entertainer, The Pornographers, Taking Off, The Horse's Mouth, O'Horten, Frantz, The Wanderers and especially The Story of the Fox pick up enough scattered viewings during the next month or so to sneak them past the 400-check threshold. Let's get those films off the table.

User avatar
zzzorf
Posts: 107
Joined: Apr 14, 2018
Location: Kempsey, NSW, Australia
Contact:

#95

Post by zzzorf » August 12th, 2018, 6:59 am

zzzorf wrote:
July 26th, 2018, 9:22 pm
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/my+5 ... st/zzzorf/

Currently a work in progress as I'm starting from scratch but I will get there by the end. Currently features a lot of children/family movies as they have the smallest checks but as I progress up the check amount more adult oriented movies will be included. List is ranked.

Finally I have my list up to date, well at least with movies I've watched within the last two years and thus have ratings for. The list is ranked as stated, I may just play with it a bit before the deadline and add any new ones as I watch them. Got just over 300 added with a couple right on the borderline of 400 checks. While I know the majority of my list won't make the final 500 I hope to see a few make the final cut.

User avatar
Cocoa
Donator
Posts: 941
Joined: Jul 17, 2013
Location: Chicago, USA
Contact:

#96

Post by Cocoa » August 12th, 2018, 1:31 pm


User avatar
sushantv10
Posts: 1940
Joined: May 25, 2011
Location: kerala, India
Contact:

#97

Post by sushantv10 » Today, 1:33 pm

Ebbywebby wrote:
August 1st, 2018, 4:33 pm
sushantv10 wrote:
August 1st, 2018, 2:54 pm
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls055478968/
You have multiple films listed with over 400 checks. And "The Stranger" listed twice.
Yup fixed. Thanks for noting the same. And my list was seriously outdated , spent some time on it and removed almost 75 invalid entries now :).
Hope to add more to the list before deadline.

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 25600
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#98

Post by joachimt » Today, 5:14 pm

zzzorf wrote:
August 5th, 2018, 8:05 am
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
August 5th, 2018, 7:26 am
zzzorf wrote:
August 5th, 2018, 12:16 am
Just a quick question for everyone. What is everyone's thoughts on what's the best type of list. I have been slowly going through and doing up my initial list and the more I add the more I'm struggling to get the list to look couture as I rank them. I am nearly tempted just to put them in tiers even though it seems like a cheap way out. What are others thoughts?
Realisticaly tiered lists are probably the most accurate reflection of how most people actually rank lists, since big distinctions are meaningful but a lot of films are essentially tied with each other. But they're also more work for me so make a ranked list :P
That is about what I thought. I will keep it ranked, I will just try to polish it up a bit when I finally get the rest of the movies added to it.
In a ranked list the lower you get on the list the smaller the point-difference between two places is. Most people feel confident about ranking the top of their list, but it gets harder to rank them further and further down. Because the point-difference gets smaller you shouldn't feel worried about it, because it makes it less and less important if you put a movie on place X or 10 places lower.
Gut feeling mostly works.

Personally, I always maintain my list during the year. If I watch a movie under 400 checks and rate it 8/10 of higher, I immediately put it somewhere in my list. I find it easier to maintain a ranked list that way instead of doing it again each year.


Post Reply