Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Directors (Results), 2019 (Feb 16th), Mini-series (Feb 29th), 2009 awards (Mar 3rd), Favorite Movies (Mar 21st), Doubling the Canon (Mar ??)
Challenges: Academy Awards, Africa, African American/Blaxploitation
Film of the Week: Doa al karawan, March nominations (Feb 28th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1D: Australia vs Hungary vs Portugal vs Tajikistan (Mar 1st), 1E: Czechia vs France vs Georgia vs Mexico (Mar 18th)

New Official List Discussion

xianjiro
Donator

Re: New Official List Discussion

Post by xianjiro » January 23rd, 2020, 12:24 am

So, who wants to compile the list of all official checks from the US? Should only be about 1/2 to 2/3rds of official checks. After that, we could scrub all US entries in the db ...

I'm too busy doing other things to help with this project as just as it might be.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » January 26th, 2020, 3:59 pm

dirty_score wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 4:13 pm
We do really need more film festival/national awards lists to be official and I think should always be one among every new crop, because there's so much to choose from.

If there's one list that could really give a boost to 21st century films would be TSZDT. Horror has seen a renaissance lately and I'm suprised to see such movies like Mama, It Comes at Night, Halloween 2018, the iranian Under The Shadow, 10 Cloverfield Lane and The Neon Demon, just to name a few, not making the list whereas a lot of old garbage (b-movies, z-movies, dracula's movies, frankenstein movies, etc..) get the spotlight.
The nature of TSZDT is that, like TSPDT, the more general lists a horror movie appears on (Best Ever lists vs. Best of 2019) the higher it will appear on the list. So generally newer movies take a little while to show up on there unless it receives universal acclaim like Get Out. I think mighty usually does an update to the list around March/April timeframe to pull in any new lists that have been added in in the previous year including Best of 2019 lists. General consensus wins out.

Now having said all that, I know the algorithm to determine the list is always debated and mighty does adjustments on it in attempts to balance the list out (meaning how much weight do best of genre lists get vs best of year lists vs critic best lists, etc.) so if any of those aren't there now, they could be this time next year.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » January 26th, 2020, 4:20 pm

Every time I search for official checks on Netflix, I'm surprised how many 21st century horror crap are an official check.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » January 26th, 2020, 9:38 pm

joachimt wrote:
January 26th, 2020, 4:20 pm
Every time I search for official checks on Netflix, I'm surprised how many 21st century horror crap are an official check.
YES. :(

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » January 26th, 2020, 9:42 pm

At least they kinda qualify as horror films. I watched some of those 40s Hammer flicks on the list :facepalm: