Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Animation (Results), 2016 awards (Aug 25th), 1987 (Aug 25th), Benelux (Aug 30th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Romance, UK/Ireland, <400 Checks
Film of the Week: Hospital, September nominations (Aug 30th)

New Official List Discussion

Kublai Khan

Re: New Official List Discussion

Post by Kublai Khan » August 3rd, 2019, 7:30 pm

xianjiro wrote:
August 3rd, 2019, 6:22 am
Those 50 item IMDb lists are seen as great starter lists for newbs who might be a bit overwhelmed (to understate it) by a 1000 item list.
Ah, that makes sense.
flaiky wrote:
August 3rd, 2019, 5:31 pm
Teproc wrote:
August 3rd, 2019, 5:09 pm
I can't believe "1000 Horror films" is more controversial than "1000 Noir".
Oh yeah, I don't like that either. Same story: we should keep the top 100 (the ranked section) then have a link to the full list.

Both lists were created by huge enthusiasts of the genre, presumably because it was a personal interest, and they remain good resources for others with the same level of passion. But it's clearly an absurd number for the average user, and it's so far removed from any other genre list. Imagine if we had 1000 westerns, 1000 action films, 1000 musicals, 1000 sci-fis..? That would be silly, and so are these two lists (at full length).

I'm not on a crusade, I'm just being opinionated, so anyone starting to panic about losing official checks can stay calm. ;)
I agree (both in tone and content). When I first discovered the site, the term "official list" gives a sense of "these are defined by some authoritative body as being an objectively good or notable movie". I know it's not stated, but that's the impression one gets by ICM giving "Official" status to a list. But when you get to the reality that "Dracula: Dead and Loving it" and "Child's Play 2" are official checks, then you drift from the idea that "Official" movies are worth going out of the way to watch.

Just my 2 cents. I'm out.

albajos

Post by albajos » August 3rd, 2019, 8:56 pm

Well, one list that will arrive soon is imdb's 2020s. But the question is, how soon? Should at least one year pass of the new decade?

dirty_score

Post by dirty_score » August 4th, 2019, 12:30 am

I just wanna know if the Harvard list will be expanded with the Experimental list (and made into just one super list) or if that or another list will replace Anthology Films.

Doubling the Canon should be gone or at least reduced. Imo, 1200 is way too many.

More diverse Awards lists.

Maybe change the cutoff in the :imdb: lists

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » August 4th, 2019, 12:57 am

dirty_score wrote:
August 4th, 2019, 12:30 am
I just wanna know if the Harvard list will be expanded with the Experimental list (and made into just one super list) or if that or another list will replace Anthology Films.
I think there will probably be an official experimental list in the future, but it may or may not be the Harvard list. There are many experimental lists to choose from.

I don't think the mods have talked about the possibility of unadopting the AFA list.

dirty_score

Post by dirty_score » August 4th, 2019, 4:53 am

Yes, there's a few interesting ones.

Also, I forgot the bad movies list. That one would be a easy removal for me. The entire catalogue is filled with disliked movies.
I understand people who enjoy 'so bad it's good movies' but I don't think this is the case. Who wants to work/suffer on a list where you end up disliking most of the movies in it?
I can deal with a few stinkers while working on a list, but it should be fun discovering movies. It's not worth the trip, me thinks.

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » August 4th, 2019, 8:05 am

I'm not too keen on the Bad Movies list either, though I wouldn't necessarily want it demoted. But I feel like the Cult Movies and Weird Movies lists kinda cover the worthwhile end of that world and the sheer "bad" movies are more secondary.

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » August 4th, 2019, 10:26 am

flaiky wrote:
August 3rd, 2019, 5:31 pm
Teproc wrote:
August 3rd, 2019, 5:09 pm
I can't believe "1000 Horror films" is more controversial than "1000 Noir".
Oh yeah, I don't like that either. Same story: we should keep the top 100 (the ranked section) then have a link to the full list.

Both lists were created by huge enthusiasts of the genre, presumably because it was a personal interest, and they remain good resources for others with the same level of passion. But it's clearly an absurd number for the average user, and it's so far removed from any other genre list. Imagine if we had 1000 westerns, 1000 action films, 1000 musicals, 1000 sci-fis..? That would be silly, and so are these two lists (at full length).

I'm not on a crusade, I'm just being opinionated, so anyone starting to panic about losing official checks can stay calm. ;)
there are many times more horror movies than westerns and musicals. sci-fi and action id like 1000 list

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » August 4th, 2019, 10:30 am

It's good to be reminded that people do make really bad movies and some even make movies real badly. It's pretty annoying when someone posts a comment along the lines of "this is the worst movie ever!" when, in fact, it isn't. It might be the worst movie that 23 year old has ever seen, but when one has only watched Hollywood box office, that's not saying much. Having a list (or two) that showcase some really atrocious films and maybe have a website or book to back up the discussion has immense value to a website like iCM.

But that said, I'm not a big fan of 1000 title genre (or country) lists and I like the suggestion that such lists be split like the noir list although I would make the bottom part "sub-official" or something. "We at iCM recommend this list for those really interested in this genre/country/era/etc." Official status connotes import, substance, influence, etc. Does the fifth sequel to the remake of an 80s slasher flick fit the bill? It would have to be very, very special - but the same goes for hundred or so Brakhage official checks. Too much of a good thing isn't necessarily a good thing. A scoop of ice cream might be enough, but sometimes we want a whole bowl. Is it ever a good idea to eat a five gallon/19 litre drum?

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » August 4th, 2019, 12:40 pm

xianjiro wrote:
August 4th, 2019, 10:30 am
Is it ever a good idea to eat a five gallon/19 litre drum?
cheaper that way, just dont eat them all at once and save in freezer

WalterNeff
Donator

Post by WalterNeff » August 4th, 2019, 3:34 pm

You guys keep forgetting to rabble rouse for a Pre-Code list.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » August 4th, 2019, 3:44 pm

WalterNeff wrote:
August 4th, 2019, 3:34 pm
You guys keep forgetting to rabble rouse for a Pre-Code list.
yeah ... :ermm: :think: :whistling:

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

dirty_score

Post by dirty_score » Yesterday, 6:26 am

flaiky wrote:
August 3rd, 2019, 4:29 pm
max-scl wrote:
August 3rd, 2019, 2:23 pm
But it's huge genre, so it's fine for me. But I also think it's too big and the Imdb one too small, so I wouldn't mind something in between (Maybe the European Horror list)
Yeah if it was up to me, we would just take the top 250 from TZPDT then include a link to the full list for those who are interested.

Maybe I could live with 500. But 1000? Can the 1000th most acclaimed film of a genre even be considered acclaimed?

I respect the project as I know there are many horror buffs who enjoy it, but the full list is too niche for ICM...IMO.
max-scl wrote:
August 3rd, 2019, 2:23 pm
But it's huge genre, so it's fine for me. But I also think it's too big and the Imdb one too small, so I wouldn't mind something in between (Maybe the European Horror list)

I also think the Silent lists are too big.
flaiky wrote:
August 3rd, 2019, 10:58 am
I still can't believe we have a list of 1000 films for one genre.
Maybe we could try and persuade mighty to reduce the number of movies to 666 :whistling:

Coryn

Post by Coryn » Yesterday, 1:20 pm

I might be biased but if there is one genre who deserves to have a 1000 movie list then it would be documentary imo.

Documentaries are not as represented in other official lists as other genres. Next to that they are also a completely different genre than anything else.
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?

albajos

Post by albajos » Yesterday, 1:27 pm

Also shorts

they are comfortable and easy to wear

(If Brief Encounters got updated alongside the other TSPDT list I wouldn't say anything, but there are basically more shorts than features available, so making a list of 1000 shouldn't be all that hard)

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » Yesterday, 1:55 pm

albajos wrote:
Yesterday, 1:27 pm
(If Brief Encounters got updated alongside the other TSPDT list I wouldn't say anything, )
What do you mean? Brief encounters was updated this year.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

albajos

Post by albajos » Yesterday, 1:58 pm

Last updated on Feb 20, 2017.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » Yesterday, 2:19 pm

Never mind. I confused it with the blues list.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"