Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 11 released July 24th)
Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), 1960 (Aug 9th), Romance (Aug 28th)
Challenges: German/Austrian/Swiss, <400, 1970s
Film of the Week: Der Fan, September nominations (Aug 28th)
World Cup S4: Match 2H: India vs Cuba (Aug 16th), QF Preparation (Aug 25th)

The thread where we post links to lists

mjf314
Moderator
Posts: 11373
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

Re: The thread where we post links to lists

#3881

Post by mjf314 » June 4th, 2020, 10:43 pm

I've seen all of the older stuff, but I'm missing a few of the recent films (Hana & Alice, Liz and the Blue Bird, On-Gaku).

On-Gaku doesn't seem to be available yet. I haven't seen Hana & Alice because I want to watch the live-action film first. I have no excuse for not watching Liz and the Blue Bird, so maybe I'll watch it this weekend.

When you watch Utena, I suggest watching the series before the movie, because the series is better.

I only have 46 checks on the iCM list, because I watched the OVA version of Urotsukidoji, but not the movie version. I could be wrong, but I don't think the movie version had extra scenes, so I don't think I missed anything.

User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 4605
Joined: Dec 23, 2012
Contact:

#3882

Post by Onderhond » June 5th, 2020, 7:15 am

LoveHKFilm has started its poll countdown of the best HK films of 2010

Keeping the list here: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/love ... onderhond/

User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 4605
Joined: Dec 23, 2012
Contact:

#3883

Post by Onderhond » June 5th, 2020, 7:23 am

mjf314 wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 10:43 pm
I've seen all of the older stuff, but I'm missing a few of the recent films (Hana & Alice, Liz and the Blue Bird, On-Gaku).

On-Gaku doesn't seem to be available yet. I haven't seen Hana & Alice because I want to watch the live-action film first. I have no excuse for not watching Liz and the Blue Bird, so maybe I'll watch it this weekend.

When you watch Utena, I suggest watching the series before the movie, because the series is better.
Yeah, On-Gaku is the only recent one I'm missing. Liz is nice but not a favorite, Hana & Alice is pretty awesome, but it's definitely better if you watch the live action film first (though they are largely unrelated).

I've heard lots of good things about the Utena series, but after watching Twin Peaks S1+2 I'm really not in the mood for series anytime soon. Can I watch the film without having seen the series or are they closely connected?

mjf314
Moderator
Posts: 11373
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#3884

Post by mjf314 » June 5th, 2020, 1:57 pm

Onderhond wrote:
June 5th, 2020, 7:23 am
mjf314 wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 10:43 pm
I've seen all of the older stuff, but I'm missing a few of the recent films (Hana & Alice, Liz and the Blue Bird, On-Gaku).

On-Gaku doesn't seem to be available yet. I haven't seen Hana & Alice because I want to watch the live-action film first. I have no excuse for not watching Liz and the Blue Bird, so maybe I'll watch it this weekend.

When you watch Utena, I suggest watching the series before the movie, because the series is better.
Yeah, On-Gaku is the only recent one I'm missing. Liz is nice but not a favorite, Hana & Alice is pretty awesome, but it's definitely better if you watch the live action film first (though they are largely unrelated).

I've heard lots of good things about the Utena series, but after watching Twin Peaks S1+2 I'm really not in the mood for series anytime soon. Can I watch the film without having seen the series or are they closely connected?
If I remember correctly, the movie is a retelling of the series, but with some major differences. Most of the reviews on MAL recommend watching the series first, because it'll help you understand the movie better.

User avatar
Fergenaprido
Donator
Posts: 4257
Joined: Jun 03, 2014
Location: Malaysia
Contact:

#3885

Post by Fergenaprido » June 9th, 2020, 10:08 am

mjf314 wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 1:57 pm
https://www.empireonline.com/movies/fea ... fi-movies/
Empire's The 50 Greatest Sci-Fi Movies

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/fea ... ar-movies/
Empire's The Best War Movies
I added these two to icm.

Sci-Fi
War

zhangalan
Posts: 2177
Joined: Mar 10, 2013
Contact:

#3886

Post by zhangalan » June 12th, 2020, 2:27 am

I just discover that there is a film guide compiled by Russian critics.
Does anyone have more details on the book and the lists?

https://www.labirint.ru/news/1716/
http://www.ng.ru/ng_exlibris/2002-07-11/4_man.html

Nine famous Moscow film critics come together to create a new project. Each brings an intimate list of one hundred of their favorite films. Tapes named among your favorites more than once pass automatically. With regard to others, debates and voting are held.

Critics
Mikhail Brashinsky, Alexey Vasiliev, Yuri Gladilshchikov, Denis Gorelov, Alexey Kazakov, Andrei Plakhov, Stanislav F. Rostotsky, Maxim Semelyak,Mikhail Trofimenkov

User avatar
Angel Glez
Posts: 2176
Joined: Apr 02, 2012
Location: Spain
Contact:

#3887

Post by Angel Glez » June 12th, 2020, 3:49 pm

zhangalan wrote:
June 12th, 2020, 2:27 am
I just discover that there is a film guide compiled by Russian critics.
Does anyone have more details on the book and the lists?

https://www.labirint.ru/news/1716/
http://www.ng.ru/ng_exlibris/2002-07-11/4_man.html

Nine famous Moscow film critics come together to create a new project. Each brings an intimate list of one hundred of their favorite films. Tapes named among your favorites more than once pass automatically. With regard to others, debates and voting are held.

Critics
Mikhail Brashinsky, Alexey Vasiliev, Yuri Gladilshchikov, Denis Gorelov, Alexey Kazakov, Andrei Plakhov, Stanislav F. Rostotsky, Maxim Semelyak,Mikhail Trofimenkov
A Russian point of view, that's interesting!

Here is the book (2013 edition): https://we.tl/t-D29ZyVPBci

Critics' individual ballots are not available, but they added top 10s by a few filmmakers (already translated and sent to TSPDT). Terrible choices. :P

User avatar
Fergenaprido
Donator
Posts: 4257
Joined: Jun 03, 2014
Location: Malaysia
Contact:

#3888

Post by Fergenaprido » June 12th, 2020, 3:57 pm

Any indication on the differences/changes between the 2006 and 2013 versions?

Thanks for the PDF. If I'm reading it correctly, there are 497 films included. They're listed alphabetically by the Russian title, though they include the original-language title for each entry, so it should be easy to determine which films are included. Maybe I'll take a stab at it over the weekend.

If Armo, Local, or another Russian speaker could take a look at it and see if there is any other interesting info in the book, that would be great. Спасибо!

User avatar
Angel Glez
Posts: 2176
Joined: Apr 02, 2012
Location: Spain
Contact:

#3889

Post by Angel Glez » June 12th, 2020, 6:17 pm

There should be around 650 films on 497 pages. First edition included 367 films, then 500, then 650.

User avatar
Fergenaprido
Donator
Posts: 4257
Joined: Jun 03, 2014
Location: Malaysia
Contact:

#3890

Post by Fergenaprido » June 12th, 2020, 6:54 pm

Yeah, I just started taking a stab at it. It's going to take some time. There are 497 titles listed in the table of contents, but 650 in the name of the book. Looks like they have the individual Top 10s of each contributor listed as well. Unfortunately, the PDF is just a scan of the book and not a digital copy, so I need to type out everything into google translate to get a translation of the text; I cannot simply copy and paste. At least it will help me with my Cyrillic typing speed (though I cheat and use the Phonetic keyboard instead of the standard one).

First up, the title: 650 Фильмов, изменивших мир

Looks like that's "650 Films That Changed the World", which is what I'll call the list for now. It's still not clear to me who the authors are (aside from a list of their names).

User avatar
Angel Glez
Posts: 2176
Joined: Apr 02, 2012
Location: Spain
Contact:

#3891

Post by Angel Glez » June 12th, 2020, 7:08 pm

Top 10s are from "invited" filmmakers. Nothing to do with the 650 films listed on the book (result of a consensus among a group of critics). Andrei Plakhov was president of FIPRESCI for years, so I guess they are not John Does.

zhangalan
Posts: 2177
Joined: Mar 10, 2013
Contact:

#3892

Post by zhangalan » June 13th, 2020, 2:00 am

Angel Glez wrote:
June 12th, 2020, 3:49 pm
zhangalan wrote:
June 12th, 2020, 2:27 am
I just discover that there is a film guide compiled by Russian critics.
Does anyone have more details on the book and the lists?

https://www.labirint.ru/news/1716/
http://www.ng.ru/ng_exlibris/2002-07-11/4_man.html

Nine famous Moscow film critics come together to create a new project. Each brings an intimate list of one hundred of their favorite films. Tapes named among your favorites more than once pass automatically. With regard to others, debates and voting are held.

Critics
Mikhail Brashinsky, Alexey Vasiliev, Yuri Gladilshchikov, Denis Gorelov, Alexey Kazakov, Andrei Plakhov, Stanislav F. Rostotsky, Maxim Semelyak,Mikhail Trofimenkov
A Russian point of view, that's interesting!

Here is the book (2013 edition): https://we.tl/t-D29ZyVPBci

Critics' individual ballots are not available, but they added top 10s by a few filmmakers (already translated and sent to TSPDT). Terrible choices. :P
Thanks a lot, Angel. :worship:
I'm actually more interested in the critics' list.

I don't know the filmmakers' ballots were already sent to TSPDT. I translated them few days ago.
I've found some more from another source (but apparently some of them are borrowed from other sources).
Here is Sokurov's.
https://tvkinoradio.ru/article/article4 ... a-sokurova

And they also have a critic poll of horror films.
https://daily.afisha.ru/cinema/13392-13 ... y-uzhasov/

zhangalan
Posts: 2177
Joined: Mar 10, 2013
Contact:

#3893

Post by zhangalan » June 13th, 2020, 2:29 am

BEst Isreali film poll from Tel Aviv Cinematheque in 2018.

See p.4-9
https://issuu.com/dorkedorke/docs/209_w ... FKEOmYL5ww

The overall result is as follows.
https://rateyourmusic.com/list/zhangala ... ilms-2018/

User avatar
Angel Glez
Posts: 2176
Joined: Apr 02, 2012
Location: Spain
Contact:

#3894

Post by Angel Glez » June 13th, 2020, 11:03 am

zhangalan wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 2:29 am
BEst Isreali film poll from Tel Aviv Cinematheque in 2018.

See p.4-9
https://issuu.com/dorkedorke/docs/209_w ... FKEOmYL5ww

The overall result is as follows.
https://rateyourmusic.com/list/zhangala ... ilms-2018/
Thanks. Quite different from Maariv's canon.

User avatar
Angel Glez
Posts: 2176
Joined: Apr 02, 2012
Location: Spain
Contact:

#3895

Post by Angel Glez » June 13th, 2020, 11:12 am

zhangalan wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 2:00 am
Here is Sokurov's.
https://tvkinoradio.ru/article/article4 ... a-sokurova
Glad to see some humor here (Ordinary Fascism, Amarcord). :lol:

mjf314
Moderator
Posts: 11373
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#3896

Post by mjf314 » June 13th, 2020, 3:23 pm

zhangalan wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 2:29 am
BEst Isreali film poll from Tel Aviv Cinematheque in 2018.

See p.4-9
https://issuu.com/dorkedorke/docs/209_w ... FKEOmYL5ww

The overall result is as follows.
https://rateyourmusic.com/list/zhangala ... ilms-2018/
Do you know how many people voted?

zhangalan
Posts: 2177
Joined: Mar 10, 2013
Contact:

#3897

Post by zhangalan » June 14th, 2020, 2:24 am

mjf314 wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 3:23 pm
zhangalan wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 2:29 am
BEst Isreali film poll from Tel Aviv Cinematheque in 2018.

See p.4-9
https://issuu.com/dorkedorke/docs/209_w ... FKEOmYL5ww

The overall result is as follows.
https://rateyourmusic.com/list/zhangala ... ilms-2018/
Do you know how many people voted?
Twelve.
The individual ballots are present on p.8-9.

User avatar
flavo5000
Posts: 3321
Joined: Jul 10, 2014
Location: Arkansas, USA
Contact:

#3898

Post by flavo5000 » June 14th, 2020, 10:30 pm

Chilton wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 10:40 pm
On ICM now. Only 9/50, still some work to do
Looks like I'm missing 7 on this one, mostly very old ones with a couple in recent years I just haven't gotten around to for whatever reason.

User avatar
flavo5000
Posts: 3321
Joined: Jul 10, 2014
Location: Arkansas, USA
Contact:

#3899

Post by flavo5000 » June 14th, 2020, 10:32 pm

Oh, also I added this to ICM:
Godfrey Ho Filmography

I mean, Godfrey Ho was pretty much the only only truly important filmmaker of the last 100 years missing his own ICM list, so I felt it necessary to rectify that oversight. :ph43r: :D

User avatar
Angel Glez
Posts: 2176
Joined: Apr 02, 2012
Location: Spain
Contact:

#3900

Post by Angel Glez » June 15th, 2020, 9:27 am

Association of Czech Film Critics' greatest post-revolution movies (1990-2019):
Kolja (1996, r. Jan Svěrák)
Kouř (1991, r. Tomáš Vorel)
Dědictví aneb Kurvahošigutntág (1992, r. Věra Chytilová)
Návrat idiota (1999, r. Saša Gedeon)
Obecná škola (1991, r. Jan Svěrák)
Pouta (2009, r. Radim Špaček)
Pelíšky (1999, r. Jan Hřebejk)
Lekce Faust (1993, r. Jan Švankmajer)
Protektor (2009, r. Marek Najbrt)
Je třeba zabít Sekala (1998, r. Vladimír Michálek)

Detailed results: http://filmovakritika.cz/wp-content/upl ... K-1-1.xlsx

zhangalan
Posts: 2177
Joined: Mar 10, 2013
Contact:

#3901

Post by zhangalan » June 15th, 2020, 3:36 pm

Angel Glez wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 9:27 am
Association of Czech Film Critics' greatest post-revolution movies (1990-2019):
Kolja (1996, r. Jan Svěrák)
Kouř (1991, r. Tomáš Vorel)
Dědictví aneb Kurvahošigutntág (1992, r. Věra Chytilová)
Návrat idiota (1999, r. Saša Gedeon)
Obecná škola (1991, r. Jan Svěrák)
Pouta (2009, r. Radim Špaček)
Pelíšky (1999, r. Jan Hřebejk)
Lekce Faust (1993, r. Jan Švankmajer)
Protektor (2009, r. Marek Najbrt)
Je třeba zabít Sekala (1998, r. Vladimír Michálek)

Detailed results: http://filmovakritika.cz/wp-content/upl ... K-1-1.xlsx
Thanks, Angel!
This looks interesting

User avatar
frbrown
Posts: 6231
Joined: Nov 01, 2011
Contact:

#3902

Post by frbrown » June 15th, 2020, 10:20 pm

Fergenaprido wrote:
June 12th, 2020, 6:54 pm
First up, the title: 650 Фильмов, изменивших мир

Looks like that's "650 Films That Changed the World", which is what I'll call the list for now.
Is this it?

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/650+ ... /skyscore/

User avatar
Fergenaprido
Donator
Posts: 4257
Joined: Jun 03, 2014
Location: Malaysia
Contact:

#3903

Post by Fergenaprido » June 16th, 2020, 10:22 am

frbrown wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 10:20 pm
Fergenaprido wrote:
June 12th, 2020, 6:54 pm
First up, the title: 650 Фильмов, изменивших мир

Looks like that's "650 Films That Changed the World", which is what I'll call the list for now.
Is this it?

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/650+ ... /skyscore/
At first glance, it appears to be. The first few films are the same. I wonder how I missed that when I was searching. Well, that saves me a lot of time anyway! Thanks frbrown.

User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 4605
Joined: Dec 23, 2012
Contact:

#3904

Post by Onderhond » June 17th, 2020, 7:58 am

Onderhond wrote:
June 5th, 2020, 7:15 am
LoveHKFilm has started its poll countdown of the best HK films of 2010

Keeping the list here: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/love ... onderhond/
The final list is here:
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/love ... onderhond/
Also made a Letterboxd version for those who care:
https://letterboxd.com/onderhond/list/l ... g-films-of

Seen: 63/75 (84%)
Highest unchecked: Lun lok yan (#13)
Number of favorites: 18/63 (29%)
Highest favorite: Yi dai zong shi (#1)
Number of dislikes: 0/63 (0%)
Highest dislike: None found (n/a)
Unofficial films: 60/75 (80%)

Can't complain.

User avatar
beavis
Posts: 2196
Joined: Jun 20, 2011
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Contact:

#3905

Post by beavis » June 17th, 2020, 8:05 am

17/75 for me, without having any real focus on that part of cinema really, so not bad I think... too much other stuff I need to explore first, but I am sure there are some gems hidden here.

User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 4605
Joined: Dec 23, 2012
Contact:

#3906

Post by Onderhond » June 17th, 2020, 8:26 am

I guess films like Simple Life, The Grandmaster and Ip Man have traveled quite well, so unless you've been actively trying to avoid Asian cinema, most people should get 10 or so checks on there.

User avatar
Fergenaprido
Donator
Posts: 4257
Joined: Jun 03, 2014
Location: Malaysia
Contact:

#3907

Post by Fergenaprido » June 17th, 2020, 12:17 pm

I've only seen 3: A Simple Life (world cup), The Mermaid (theatres), and The New King of Comedy (airplane). I've been putting off The Grandmaster for too long now; I should really get around to it. I'm not familiar with most of the rest of the films, though some of the blockbusters I thought were from Mainland China, not Hong Kong.

And I've gone through all the titles that are in English and updated them, so everything should be in original Chinese now (except for King of Comedy, Journey to the West 2, and 29+1) and an English alternate title (except for SPL 2). And Mai Sing (Wild City) had a completely different title before.

mjf314
Moderator
Posts: 11373
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#3908

Post by mjf314 » June 17th, 2020, 12:43 pm

I've only seen 4. 2 of those 4 were in a cinema.

I don't avoid HK cinema, but most of my HK watches have come from the all-time list (which was published in 2012), so that's why I haven't seen more.

User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 4605
Joined: Dec 23, 2012
Contact:

#3909

Post by Onderhond » June 17th, 2020, 1:14 pm

Well, sticking to official lists is pretty much the same as avoiding (for "foreign"/contemporary cinema at least) :ph43r:

mjf314
Moderator
Posts: 11373
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#3910

Post by mjf314 » June 17th, 2020, 1:45 pm

Onderhond wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 1:14 pm
Well, sticking to official lists is pretty much the same as avoiding (for "foreign"/contemporary cinema at least) :ph43r:
What if I started working on the list before it became official?

User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 4605
Joined: Dec 23, 2012
Contact:

#3911

Post by Onderhond » June 17th, 2020, 1:51 pm

Then the universe is going to explode.

User avatar
Traveller
Posts: 1309
Joined: Dec 31, 2018
Location: Germany
Contact:

#3912

Post by Traveller » June 17th, 2020, 3:24 pm

20/75 for me with five or six others on my watch list. Anything on there that flew under the radar worth checking out?
ICM
August Challenge: Image
But at the bottom, the immanent philosopher sees in the entire universe only the deepest longing for absolute annihilation, and it is as if he clearly hears the call that permeates all spheres of heaven: Redemption! Redemption! Death to our life! and the comforting answer: you will all find annihilation and be redeemed!

User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 4605
Joined: Dec 23, 2012
Contact:

#3913

Post by Onderhond » June 17th, 2020, 3:40 pm

Aberdeen could definitely use some extra love. Port of Call is also really cool, if you like a dark thriller. And Dream Home is a fine horror/slasher.

User avatar
Traveller
Posts: 1309
Joined: Dec 31, 2018
Location: Germany
Contact:

#3914

Post by Traveller » June 17th, 2020, 3:49 pm

Cheers. Dream Home I've seen. The other two I'll make sure to check out - Port of Call sounds pretty fun.
ICM
August Challenge: Image
But at the bottom, the immanent philosopher sees in the entire universe only the deepest longing for absolute annihilation, and it is as if he clearly hears the call that permeates all spheres of heaven: Redemption! Redemption! Death to our life! and the comforting answer: you will all find annihilation and be redeemed!

User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 4605
Joined: Dec 23, 2012
Contact:

#3915

Post by Onderhond » June 17th, 2020, 4:17 pm

Yeah, Philip Yung is an interesting director (former film critic). May We Chat is also worth a shot, though Port of Call is the more established of the two.

User avatar
flavo5000
Posts: 3321
Joined: Jul 10, 2014
Location: Arkansas, USA
Contact:

#3916

Post by flavo5000 » June 17th, 2020, 6:26 pm

Onderhond wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 8:26 am
I guess films like Simple Life, The Grandmaster and Ip Man have traveled quite well, so unless you've been actively trying to avoid Asian cinema, most people should get 10 or so checks on there.
Heh, I only have 8 checks on there. I definitely don't avoid Asian cinema though. Maybe I just tend to watch more obscure ones?

User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 4605
Joined: Dec 23, 2012
Contact:

#3917

Post by Onderhond » June 17th, 2020, 8:30 pm

flavo5000 wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 6:26 pm
Heh, I only have 8 checks on there. I definitely don't avoid Asian cinema though. Maybe I just tend to watch more obscure ones?
Dunno. Based on your HK list this month only 1 of your watches would even apply for this list ... and it is in it :D
The other 2010+ ones are also the super commercial ones (Ne Zha and Wolf Warrior) :)
Most of your older picks aren't really that obscure either (Hsiao-Hsien Hou, Chia-Liang Liu, Woo-Ping Yuen, Pang Brothers, King Hu,Andrew Lau, ...). These are all really big names!
Last edited by Onderhond on June 17th, 2020, 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Ebbywebby
Posts: 3364
Joined: Sep 10, 2012
Location: Orange County, CA
Contact:

#3918

Post by Ebbywebby » June 17th, 2020, 9:04 pm

I'm at 3/75. Groovy.

User avatar
flavo5000
Posts: 3321
Joined: Jul 10, 2014
Location: Arkansas, USA
Contact:

#3919

Post by flavo5000 » June 18th, 2020, 2:48 am

I got bored today and made a list of all the films profiled in the FrightFest Guide: Monster Movies in case anyone's interested:
FrightFest Guide: Monster Movies

mjf314
Moderator
Posts: 11373
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#3920

Post by mjf314 » June 20th, 2020, 6:45 pm

http://davesmusicdatabase.blogspot.com/ ... -time.html

Dave's Music Database's top 100 music videos, based on more than 70 lists, so it's like TSPDT but for music videos. This website also has various lists of the best album and songs, using a similar methodology.

https://www.greeleytribune.com/2002/11/ ... 00-videos/

VH1's top 100 music videos, voted by experts. The poll is from 2001. I'm not sure how many experts voted.

Does anyone want to add these to iCM?

Post Reply