Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Waiting for results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th)
Challenges: Experimental/Avant Garde, Benelux, Run the Director
Film of the Week: Daisan no kagemusha, March nominations (Feb 26th)

Letterboxd

DareDaniel

Post by DareDaniel »

mightysparks wrote: November 30th, 2020, 12:28 am The stupid teen reviews on Letterboxd are by far the thing I hate the most about it, but when I do read them I either filter by friends only or I skim to look for one that's at least a paragraph. It's pretty easy to ignore the social parts of the site if you follow the right people and ignore the 'popular' stuff.
What annoys me is when generic stuff like this gets to be one of the most popular "reviews" of the week:

"this was one of the most joyous experiences i’ve had all year and no i’m not joking in the slightest"

This was written by a user with 56k followers but could have been said on twitter by anyone about any movies they liked. Not the content I'm looking for on my main place for movies.

A website like mydramalist.com works much better as they divide reviews, comments and discussion topics in different sections:

https://mydramalist.com/2-1-litre-no-namida

This makes users try to put some thought in their reviews to write more than 2 lines. Also, it's a place where people have friends instead of followers and the main page shows the most recent reviews instead of the popular ones, so we don't have users competing for popularity.
Last edited by DareDaniel on November 30th, 2020, 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DareDaniel

Post by DareDaniel »

shugs wrote: November 30th, 2020, 11:36 am Yeah, My IMDb is pretty sweet as well. It's an extension that highlights movies you've rated on people's pages, I highly recommend it. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... hhmb?hl=en
I explore cinema by watching all or most movies from the same director. That extension gives me the rewarding feeling I had on lb when clicking on a director's page and seeing all watched titles as faded.
yllow

Post by yllow »

I like the app myself and find it easier than looking up imdb for information.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Another irritating thing about Letterboxd is the goofballs who follow you and then unfollow in a day or two if you don't follow back. Okay, fine, I don't want you anyway. You've seen 163 films, don't write reviews, and you managed to get 7000 followers by gaming the system. I'd rather have a small amount of legitimate followers who actually read what I have to say.
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
DareDaniel

Post by DareDaniel »

That happened to me all the time. Gotta keep that number of people you follow under the number of followers to make you look cool! It's not about movie knowledge anymore.

Also, many users seem to be liking everything expecting some likes in return. I had to unfollow many users once my pro account was over as I couldn't filter anymore what showed up on my feed, in order to keep my activity as honest as possible. I can accept someone on fb scrolling down and liking every picture they see from their friends, but a review or a list takes its time to read. The helpful/not helpful feature of imdb can work better and the metacritic score allows me to give a quick look at the reviews by those big online magazines (I don't remember imdb having this before). There's no reason for the activity filter not to be a free feature, plus all the ads, lb is just forcing users to get a pro account as the website becomes ususable without one. But anyway, people can do whatever they want on lb. I also used to care until I stopped caring.

Btw, I realized how many of my ratings weren't movies but tv episodes or something else once I migrated all my ratings to imdb. All content with the exception of tv shows that got more than one season is a movie on lb and while I agree that many things can be seen as one, the information I get on imdb is much more accurate.
DareDaniel

Post by DareDaniel »

So I just found out I could use adblock to hide not only ads, but pretty much everything else I didn't want to see.

This makes lb look much better to me.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

"Reviews" that are just something such as "liked" or "seen on Netflix" are taking laziness to a new level. Who fucking cares? :lol:
jal90

Post by jal90 »

They likely use that to complement the diary function of the website. It would work for them as well if they could add tags to their diary entries.
TraverseTown

Post by TraverseTown »

kongs_speech wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 9:03 pm "Reviews" that are just something such as "liked" or "seen on Netflix" are taking laziness to a new level. Who fucking cares? :lol:
You can't set your profile to private, so people who just want to use Letterboxd as a personal online diary/database don't have any choice, so I wouldn't hold it against them. Not everything on there is meant for a social media-esque purpose.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

TraverseTown wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 11:10 pm
kongs_speech wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 9:03 pm "Reviews" that are just something such as "liked" or "seen on Netflix" are taking laziness to a new level. Who fucking cares? :lol:
You can't set your profile to private, so people who just want to use Letterboxd as a personal online diary/database don't have any choice, so I wouldn't hold it against them. Not everything on there is meant for a social media-esque purpose.
Yeah, I can see that, but it seems really pointless to me. What could it possibly matter if you saw something on Netflix? In the grand scheme of things, I couldn't give a flying fish where I saw a particular film, just that I saw it. Just posting "liked" is even more baffling ... Letterboxd already keeps track of all the films you like. If they added even one sentence about their opinion of the film, it wouldn't bother me. "Saw on Netflix. Not one of Sandler's best but I laughed a few times." That was easy.
TraverseTown

Post by TraverseTown »

kongs_speech wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 11:15 pm
Yeah, I can see that, but it seems really pointless to me. What could it possibly matter if you saw something on Netflix? In the grand scheme of things, I couldn't give a flying fish where I saw a particular film, just that I saw it. Just posting "liked" is even more baffling ... Letterboxd already keeps track of all the films you like. If they added even one sentence about their opinion of the film, it wouldn't bother me. "Saw on Netflix. Not one of Sandler's best but I laughed a few times." That was easy.
Yeah, I definitely don't disagree. I do keep a list of everything I watch on the Criterion Channel for example, but I just keep track of that in a private list rather than in the diary/review section.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

TraverseTown wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 11:49 pm
kongs_speech wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 11:15 pm

Yeah, I definitely don't disagree. I do keep a list of everything I watch on the Criterion Channel for example, but I just keep track of that in a private list rather than in the diary/review section.
But users can already use the favourite feature if the "liked" a film, and the can use the tag feature to keep track of anything they saw on Netflix. Those are free features, not paid, so everyone can use them. I use a bunch of tags for my diary entries such as mubi, theatre, netflix, etc. to keep track of where I see some films.
DareDaniel

Post by DareDaniel »

Yeah... These are the most popular reviews of "The Haunting of Hill House":
"me during jumpscares:
me spotting a random ghost in the background: [falls off the sofa]"
"do you ever make an emotionally compelling, frightening and nuanced horror series just to flex on ryan murphy"
"this went the FUCK off and the 6th episode had a bunch of 15+ MINUTE LONG TAKES IN IT. MIKE FLANAGAN DIED FOR OUR SINS."
I went back to imdb for a while mostly for nostalgia just to find out that a new layout that I hated is coming soon. In the end I moved back to lb as hiding the stuff I didn't like about lb improved the site so much for me. :lol:

I also realized that lb seems to be having a lot more users rating on movies, especially on the newest movies. "On The Rocks" has 17k ratings on imdb and 38k ratings on lb. It gets even worse with non-popular movies. "Forgiven Children" has 22 miserable ratings (one of them is mine) on imdb and 157 on lb, that's 7x more people voting. Not everyone's favourite place to rate movies that it was a decade ago.

Anyway, this time off that I took from letterboxd made me find other things. The imdb homepage and app are pretty nice and I'll start using them for movie news, movie trailers, movie trivia, etc. Lb is still my main place for movies and it just has the best interface. For tv shows I use traktv because it allows me to track the progress in each of the tv shows I'm watching, which neither lb or imdb can do.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

There's a pretty huge difference in the quality of reviews depending on the popularity of the film. Look at the popular reviews for The Illusionist (2010, Sylvain Chomet), for instance. I guess all the cool woke A24 jokester kids aren't watching primarily dialogue-free French animation based on unproduced Jacques Tati scripts.
TraverseTown

Post by TraverseTown »

Me, knowing that my most popular entry on Letterboxd is my one-sentence joke review of Mizoguchi's Ugetsu: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Mine is a bunch of ‘No’s’ for that Shriek film :P I don’t mind the occasional jokey review, it’s just that there are too many on the more popular films on LB and they’re usually not funny.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Most of the reviews that I have liked are jokey ones. :unsure: I guess I am just adding to the problem, but if something makes me laugh, it's too easy to hit the Like button, e.g.:

https://letterboxd.com/kmeaston/film/gas-s-s-s/
https://letterboxd.com/phrynefisher/film/silent-movie/

:shrug:
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image
tobias

Post by tobias »

TraverseTown wrote: December 26th, 2020, 12:17 am Me, knowing that my most popular entry on Letterboxd is my one-sentence joke review of Mizoguchi's Ugetsu: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:
My most popular review is actually a philosophical analysis of a Straub-Huilet film, lol. To be fair though, I'm not great at joke reviews :shrug:
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Is there any way to clear (not delete) an existing list? I want to re-import my Top 650, but all it does is add the new films, leaves the old ones there and doesn't adjust the ranking. And I don't really feel like manually deleting all the entries first :D
Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 »

I usually modify by imdb url and copy paste an 1 movie
Harco
Donator

Post by Harco »

The Fantômas films have been merged into a single entry on TMDb, so they're going to follow on Letterboxd soon.

Kind of makes sense, though, doesn't it? IMDb has them as separate films, but Judex for instance, though a twelve-part serial, has just one entry on IMDb.

EDIT: Had a feeling I talked about this issue with serials before. I was right.
:ICM: | :letbxd:
Obgeoff

Post by Obgeoff »

At the moment, Letterboxd has three Fantômas instead of one or five. Screwing up my 2021 stats!
Melvelet

Post by Melvelet »

What happened to the quest of adding all ICMForum lists to the icmforum account? I could offer help if it is needed
Current recommendation: Monday (2000)

ImageImage

Current focus: Directors: Rossellini, Sabu

Last.fm | RYM