Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Animation (Results), 2016 awards (Aug 25th), 1987 (Aug 25th), Benelux (Aug 30th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Romance, UK/Ireland, <400 Checks
Film of the Week: Hospital, September nominations (Aug 30th)

Letterboxd

monk-time

Letterboxd

Post by monk-time » January 27th, 2018, 9:32 pm

fori on Jan 27 2018, 02:14:06 PM wrote:Again, that is not evidence that Leone killed the Western.
I went through every Western I have checked (apparently only a pathetic 200) and noticed more than a few westerns who do not fit your classification. For one thing, most of the Westerns directed by the less revered genre directors of the pre-spaghetti era are not nearly as sentimental as the films of Hawks & Ford. On top of which there were quite a few westerns of the older style made in the 70s, 80s & 90s. Nevertheless I must say this: you really think sentimental melodrama would have been a better path for the western to head down?
All I'm saying is that I believe almost every non-cinephile who thinks they know what Westerns are would be very surprised by films like Johnny Guitar or The Ox-Bow Incident. Granted, those are top of the crop, but for example the legacy of film noir wasn't as supplanted by neo-noirs of the 70s/90s as Westerns by spaghettis, the look of noir is still very recognizable and mostly intact in pop-culture.

Whether to call that a killing of the genre or simply evolution is up to you, I'm not sure how I feel about that myself. I do know that anything that gave us the masterpiece that is The Hateful Eight is probably not bad.
Last edited by monk-time on January 27th, 2018, 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ICM profile | My userscripts for IMDb/iCM | iCheckMovies Enhanced by themagician: call it direct, call it collect, but CALL IT TODAY!

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » January 28th, 2018, 2:06 am

I kind of treat Letterbox’s reviews like icm comments. Some are useful or enlightening, some are funny, some are short and pointless, some are personal comments for themselves and some are in-jokes, I assume.

I don’t go on Letterboxd very often though and I rarely read any reviews, and that’s mostly because I don’t really wanna read or talk about film Facebook style, so I agree that most of it kind of horrible. But I post the occasional review ans though some are legit, my top rated review is just ‘No. No. No’ a lot of times and that was just an in-joke with myself lol.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » January 28th, 2018, 6:03 am

I tried writing a sarcastic Letterboxd style review on Letterboxd itself, but I mainly just write my thoughts. Because of my reviews, I was mentioned on a podcast called "The Film Vault". I guess a friend of the guys read my reviews and word spread. Pretty cool.
http://www.thefilmvaultpod.com/ (January 19th episode)

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 3rd, 2018, 4:32 am

Ugh. I decided to look at the reviews for Atomic Blonde, to see if anyone else thought it was just as awful. The three most popular reviews are really insightful. The first one talks about 3 other films, the second one says he doesn't know what's going on but there's pretty close-ups of Theron, and the third just says he feels like he got kicked in the cervix.

THANKS LETTERBOXD REVIEWERS.

https://letterboxd.com/film/atomic-blonde/
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

fori

Post by fori » February 3rd, 2018, 4:36 am

mightysparks on Feb 2 2018, 09:32:44 PM wrote:Ugh. I decided to look at the reviews for Atomic Blonde, to see if anyone else thought it was just as awful. The three most popular reviews are really insightful. The first one talks about 3 other films, the second one says he doesn't know what's going on but there's pretty close-ups of Theron, and the third just says he feels like he got kicked in the cervix.

THANKS LETTERBOXD REVIEWERS.

https://letterboxd.com/film/atomic-blonde/
Hated it also, if that makes you feel a little better...

Haha just read your brutal takedown of the film on that awful site, classic. Good stuff.
Last edited by fori on February 3rd, 2018, 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » March 3rd, 2018, 5:23 am

Wow, I had no idea Sean Baker is on letterboxd, are there any other filmmakers/famous people on there?

RBG

Post by RBG » March 3rd, 2018, 5:28 am

icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » March 3rd, 2018, 7:26 am

Ivan0716 on Mar 2 2018, 10:23:16 PM wrote:Wow, I had no idea Sean Baker is on letterboxd, are there any other filmmakers/famous people on there?
https://letterboxd.com/chad_hartigan/
https://letterboxd.com/roxane_mesquida/

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » March 3rd, 2018, 2:24 pm

Roxane Mesquida bashing Fifty Shades. :lol:

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » March 3rd, 2018, 2:34 pm

IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » March 4th, 2018, 2:09 am

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » March 4th, 2018, 3:13 am

allisoncm on Mar 3 2018, 07:09:55 PM wrote:Tommy Wiseau (maybe?)
https://letterboxd.com/tommywiseau/
No James Dean movies or 'Sonny'. I call bullshit.
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » March 4th, 2018, 12:23 pm

Roger Avary is on Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/avary/
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » March 14th, 2018, 1:12 am

Got bored and decided to make my poster wall look fancy. :P

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » July 16th, 2018, 2:16 am

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
July 15th, 2018, 10:47 pm
https://letterboxd.com/arthuryanthar/

Made a letterboxd
Just in time to see them introduce ads. :cheers:
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

RedHawk10

Post by RedHawk10 » July 16th, 2018, 2:52 am

I really like the layout of Letterboxd, have been using it for a while now. IMDB can fuck off at this point, I don't even bother updating my account over there anymore.

Agree with the general consensus that a lot of the "popular" reviews on LB are dumb, but it doesn't bother me. I mostly just read the write-ups from people I follow or random ones that look interesting.

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » July 17th, 2018, 9:42 pm

I pretty much only use Letterboxd to make/maintain lists, imagine having a search function that actually returns the film you want. Letterboxd seems to be the only site to do that.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » July 17th, 2018, 10:57 pm

I'm into trakt.tv instead of Letterbox - Trakt does TV series too, which is my main attraction to keeping everything in one spot.

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » July 25th, 2018, 11:57 am

Is there a way to download/export a list from Letterboxd? I see cloning is a Pro feature, but can't find any information about exporting on their site.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » July 25th, 2018, 12:43 pm

Fergenaprido wrote:
July 25th, 2018, 11:57 am
Is there a way to download/export a list from Letterboxd? I see cloning is a Pro feature, but can't find any information about exporting on their site.
You can get to the export data feature here: https://letterboxd.com/settings/data/. I have yet to export anything from Letterboxd, myself, but before you export it gives you this message: "We value your right to retrieve any data you’ve given us. Click below to generate a zip file containing CSVs of your profile, films, reviews, lists and more. This data export includes your deleted content and reviews of deleted films." So I guess among other things, this zip file will include a CSV file with any Letterboxd lists you've made.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » July 25th, 2018, 2:12 pm

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
July 25th, 2018, 12:43 pm
Fergenaprido wrote:
You can get to the export data feature here: https://letterboxd.com/settings/data/. I have yet to export anything from Letterboxd, myself, but before you export it gives you this message: "We value your right to retrieve any data you’ve given us. Click below to generate a zip file containing CSVs of your profile, films, reviews, lists and more. This data export includes your deleted content and reviews of deleted films." So I guess among other things, this zip file will include a CSV file with any Letterboxd lists you've made.
Thanks. I should have been clearer in my question. I want to download someone else's list, not my own (haven't created any yet).

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » July 25th, 2018, 2:34 pm

Fergenaprido wrote:
July 25th, 2018, 2:12 pm
GruesomeTwosome wrote:
Fergenaprido wrote:
Thanks. I should have been clearer in my question. I want to download someone else's list, not my own (haven't created any yet).
Ahhh, I see. Unfortunately I don't think Letterboxd has a way of downloading lists that aren't your own...as far as I know.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

TraverseTown

Post by TraverseTown » July 25th, 2018, 10:51 pm

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
July 25th, 2018, 2:34 pm
Fergenaprido wrote:
July 25th, 2018, 2:12 pm
GruesomeTwosome wrote:

Ahhh, I see. Unfortunately I don't think Letterboxd has a way of downloading lists that aren't your own...as far as I know.
If you clone a list, then it will among your lists when you export.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » September 13th, 2018, 6:17 pm

Is Letterboxd down right now for everyone else? Tried it in a couple different browsers, the site isn't loading.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » September 13th, 2018, 6:28 pm

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
September 13th, 2018, 6:17 pm
Is Letterboxd down right now for everyone else? Tried it in a couple different browsers, the site isn't loading.
Loaded for me. :shrug:

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » September 13th, 2018, 6:39 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
September 13th, 2018, 6:28 pm
GruesomeTwosome wrote:
Loaded for me. :shrug:
Hmm... :think:

Oh well, no biggie, I'll just wait it out. It's on my work computer, maybe they're onto me about visiting that site too often, hehe. :unsure:

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » September 13th, 2018, 6:40 pm

Just keep reloading. Sometimes it has issues (Gremlins).

RedHawk10

Post by RedHawk10 » September 13th, 2018, 9:44 pm

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
Letterboxd has a weird habit of not loading for me at very random times, only to be working again fine a couple of minutes later.

fori

Post by fori » February 12th, 2019, 12:01 pm

I’ve had an account on and off for several years, but have never followed any user. What users should I follow?

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » February 12th, 2019, 2:46 pm

fori wrote:
February 12th, 2019, 12:01 pm
I’ve had an account on and off for several years, but have never followed any user. What users should I follow?
Rosenbaum is there: https://letterboxd.com/jrosenbaum2002/

I only use it for (mostly yearly) lists, don't write or review films there. You can find me here though: https://letterboxd.com/gloede/lists/

(You will also recognize other forum regulars among my follows/followers).

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » February 12th, 2019, 4:06 pm

St. Gloede wrote:
February 12th, 2019, 2:46 pm
fori wrote:
February 12th, 2019, 12:01 pm
Rosenbaum is there: https://letterboxd.com/jrosenbaum2002/

I only use it for (mostly yearly) lists, don't write or review films there. You can find me here though: https://letterboxd.com/gloede/lists/

(You will also recognize other forum regulars among my follows/followers).
The two colleagues of mine that also use Letterboxd both follow David Ehrlich: https://letterboxd.com/davidehrlich/ and because of them I actually know who he is now :D Plus, his year-end video Top25s are steadily growing on me.

fori

Post by fori » July 28th, 2019, 12:21 am

Any further suggestions on who to follow? I want to follow users who I can find new films from.