Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Animation (Results), 2016 awards (Aug 25th), 1987 (Aug 25th), Benelux (Aug 30th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Romance, UK/Ireland, <400 Checks
Film of the Week: Hospital, September nominations (Aug 30th)

Bug or MASSIVE IMDb change?

LuxNatalis

Bug or MASSIVE IMDb change?

Post by LuxNatalis » January 20th, 2018, 4:50 pm

I'm using a 10-year old Mac and I'm not able to rate any films on Safari for the last year or so. I can only rate through Firefox. Everything's running smooth like a Swiss clock when I'm using my iPad though; so I guess that they're trying to make the site only tablet-friendly or mobile-friendly is correct.

But yes, the site is only getting worse day by day. And it's not only the abolition of the message boards.

flaiky

Post by flaiky » January 20th, 2018, 4:53 pm

LuxNatalis on Jan 20 2018, 09:50:27 AM wrote:I'm using a 10-year old Mac and I'm not able to rate any films on Safari for the last year or so. I can only rate through Firefox. Everything's running smooth like a Swiss clock when I'm using my iPad though; so I guess that they're trying to make the site only tablet-friendly or mobile-friendly is correct.

But yes, the site is only getting worse day by day. And it's not only the abolition of the message boards.
Chant with me: "Let-ter-boxd! Ler-ter-boxd!"
Let the ashes fly
ICM | Letterboxd | All-time stats

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » January 20th, 2018, 5:41 pm

flaiky on Jan 20 2018, 09:53:51 AM wrote:
LuxNatalis on Jan 20 2018, 09:50:27 AM wrote:I'm using a 10-year old Mac and I'm not able to rate any films on Safari for the last year or so. I can only rate through Firefox. Everything's running smooth like a Swiss clock when I'm using my iPad though; so I guess that they're trying to make the site only tablet-friendly or mobile-friendly is correct.

I tried exporting my ratings to LB back around the time IMDb shut down but it wouldn't let me do 8k ratings; if I remember rightly I'd have to pay for that privilege? Maybe I'll have to bite the bullet. But if there's a way to easily export ratings there without being premium (there are only so many sites I can pay for) I think it's time for me to try again. I still like the IMDb list format, even if it's more of a hassle, but I'm sure they're going to fuck that up even more soon, or just get rid of lists altogether. The site only seems to exist to promote blockbusters and Amazon content anymore so I'm not sure why they wouldn't get rid of lists and maybe even ratings before long. Everything the site used to be about is essentially unimportant to them now, if it hasn't already been removed.

Anyway it's working for me now on IE, which I normally don't use anymore. For the time being I guess I'll just put in the ratings that way.
Here's to the fools who dream.

LuxNatalis

Post by LuxNatalis » January 20th, 2018, 5:44 pm

Hmmm, Letterboxd looks nice, but I'm using enough movie sites already; There's IMDb, there's iCheckMovies and there's Criticker. Do they have a broad database like IMDb? IMDb sucks, but you can always find a 1954 obscure Greek movie with 8 votes there. Plus I'm reluctant to abandon it completely after using it for 17 years.

Good_Will_Harding

Post by Good_Will_Harding » January 20th, 2018, 5:51 pm

Letterboxd is a great resource for list whores like myself, but the community over there - while certainly active and diverse in their tastes - can be fairly irritating at times, especially now around awards season. People seem to have a major boner for one-upping each other about who can come up with the most contrarian hot take of the season. But that said, it's interesting and different enough from IMDB on the whole, but I'm not ready to abandon IMDB in total just yet. Soon, though.

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » January 21st, 2018, 1:40 am

OldAle1 on Jan 20 2018, 10:41:57 AM wrote:
flaiky on Jan 20 2018, 09:53:51 AM wrote:

I tried exporting my ratings to LB back around the time IMDb shut down but it wouldn't let me do 8k ratings; if I remember rightly I'd have to pay for that privilege? Maybe I'll have to bite the bullet. But if there's a way to easily export ratings there without being premium (there are only so many sites I can pay for) I think it's time for me to try again. I still like the IMDb list format, even if it's more of a hassle, but I'm sure they're going to fuck that up even more soon, or just get rid of lists altogether. The site only seems to exist to promote blockbusters and Amazon content anymore so I'm not sure why they wouldn't get rid of lists and maybe even ratings before long. Everything the site used to be about is essentially unimportant to them now, if it hasn't already been removed.

Anyway it's working for me now on IE, which I normally don't use anymore. For the time being I guess I'll just put in the ratings that way.
They used to be paid only, but:
Letterboxd’s importer is usually available just to Pro members, but for a limited time we’ve opened it to all!
https://letterboxd.com/import/
https://letterboxd.com/about/migrating-from-imdb/

To import your 8k of stuff you need to split the .csv into blocks of 1900 films, I suggest using this: http://filesplit.org/

Also if LB is not your cup of tea there's also themoviedb, which seems to have made a lot of updates recently:
https://www.themoviedb.org/settings/import-list

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » January 21st, 2018, 1:50 am

Tmdb just makes me realize that imdb, for all its garbage, is still better.

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » January 21st, 2018, 1:53 am

PeacefulAnarchy on Jan 20 2018, 06:50:44 PM wrote:Tmdb just makes me realize that imdb, for all its garbage, is still better.
Well, sure, but if IMDb continues in the same manner I'm afraid they may as well lose ground in the long term.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » January 21st, 2018, 2:19 am

PeacefulAnarchy on Jan 20 2018, 06:50:44 PM wrote:Tmdb just makes me realize that imdb, for all its garbage, is still better.
Well I always thought that TMDB was supposed to be the crowdsourced version of IMDB that would permit better and cooler sites to be built off it. So yeah - while TMDB kinda sucks from an interactivity standpoint, other sites like Letterboxd, Trakt, etc. are pretty cool.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » January 21st, 2018, 5:16 am

IMDb is already crowdsourced, but yeah the point of tmdb is supposed to be that it can be used permission and royalty free by other sites. And I'm sure the API is fine for people building the sites, but for a common user the database is much more cumbersome to use as an actual database where you can quickly find and cross-reference information, and sites like Letterboxd don't even bother with that aspect beyond whatever is needed to make its own use case work.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » January 21st, 2018, 11:01 am

PeacefulAnarchy on Jan 20 2018, 10:16:26 PM wrote:IMDb is already crowdsourced, but yeah the point of tmdb is supposed to be that it can be used permission and royalty free by other sites. And I'm sure the API is fine for people building the sites, but for a common user the database is much more cumbersome to use as an actual database where you can quickly find and cross-reference information, and sites like Letterboxd don't even bother with that aspect beyond whatever is needed to make its own use case work.
Well sure - I agree with what you said. IMDB is far superior for the user who is looking for information about movies, trvia, casting/crew, etc. TMDB just serves a different purpose, as do many of those other sites built on TMDB.

Speaking only for me personally, I use IMDB to get information about films, especially trivia, but rarely rate there any longer. I use ICM to track what I've watched and progress against various lists. I use Trakt to track what I've watched, how often, my ratings, and to make lists (which I've just started doing there), for both film and television. I only use TMDB to add things to Trakt. IMDB is my go-to for film-related information, but not for user features.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » January 21st, 2018, 6:55 pm

Can you no longer see how many films you've seen in a list on the list's page?

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » January 21st, 2018, 6:59 pm

AdamH on Jan 21 2018, 11:55:20 AM wrote:Can you no longer see how many films you've seen in a list on the list's page?
Not easily, you have to click refine and then "You and this list" and select "Titles I rated"

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » January 21st, 2018, 6:59 pm

PeacefulAnarchy on Jan 21 2018, 11:59:12 AM wrote:
AdamH on Jan 21 2018, 11:55:20 AM wrote:Can you no longer see how many films you've seen in a list on the list's page?
Not easily, you have to click refine and then "You and this list" and select "Titles I rated"
There used to be a bit on the right that had the amount you've seen, right? Weird if they've removed it.

monk-time

Post by monk-time » January 21st, 2018, 7:04 pm

You also need to memorize the list size before choosing any option there, because of course it's not visible when you do that. And you can't move/remove/copy such sublists either, it was very handy before but maybe they'll bring it back someday.

If I recall their explanations correctly, they ripped out the whole mechanism for working with lists and replaced it with something that will work on mobile devices. As usually happens, when it's done in haste all small quality-of-life features don't survive such transitions.
ICM profile | My userscripts for IMDb/iCM | iCheckMovies Enhanced by themagician: call it direct, call it collect, but CALL IT TODAY!

spinal tapper

Post by spinal tapper » January 22nd, 2018, 2:25 pm

It's sad but interesting to see IMDB devolve into a website designed specifically to be used on mobile devices.

monk-time

Post by monk-time » January 22nd, 2018, 3:07 pm

spinal tapper on Jan 22 2018, 07:25:57 AM wrote:It's sad but interesting to see IMDB devolve into a website designed specifically to be used on mobile devices.
From what I remember from Col's postings, it's not that they want to be exclusively mobile, but the reality of the market today is such that every site simply must be usable both on desktop and mobile. Maintaining several separate codebases for different platforms is a significant drain on dev resources, so it's natural that they are moving to a single unified core that would require minimal modifications to support each platform.
ICM profile | My userscripts for IMDb/iCM | iCheckMovies Enhanced by themagician: call it direct, call it collect, but CALL IT TODAY!

spinal tapper

Post by spinal tapper » January 22nd, 2018, 5:06 pm

Makes sense when you put it that way.

monk-time

Post by monk-time » February 12th, 2018, 10:08 am

They've added "Your Rating" and "Date Rated" to the exported lists.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » February 12th, 2018, 2:22 pm

monk-time on Feb 12 2018, 03:08:00 AM wrote:They've added "Your Rating" and "Date Rated" to the exported lists.
Very glad. Not having your own rating in an export was a pain in the #.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » February 12th, 2018, 8:32 pm

joachimt on Feb 12 2018, 07:22:45 AM wrote:
monk-time on Feb 12 2018, 03:08:00 AM wrote:They've added "Your Rating" and "Date Rated" to the exported lists.
A pain in the octothorpe? You might want to see a doctor about that.
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » February 12th, 2018, 9:48 pm

Knaldskalle on Feb 12 2018, 01:32:50 PM wrote:
joachimt on Feb 12 2018, 07:22:45 AM wrote:
A pain in the octothorpe? You might want to see a doctor about that.
yeah, I was wondering about what's up with Dutch @(rseholes)

I could make a joke about # = "pound", but, nah.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

monk-time

Post by monk-time » February 12th, 2018, 9:53 pm

xianjiro on Feb 12 2018, 02:48:21 PM wrote:I could make a joke about # = "pound", but, nah.
Good call, in this joint we tolerate only sharp puns.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » February 12th, 2018, 10:10 pm

Sorry, guys. When I typed that, my kids were still up, so I had to mind my language. -_-
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » April 30th, 2018, 8:00 pm

Imdb's latest integrated advertising is such garbage:

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » April 30th, 2018, 8:14 pm

Well I'm not getting anything of the sort on the Infinity War page, in either layout
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » April 30th, 2018, 8:41 pm

Armoreska on Apr 30 2018, 02:14:22 PM wrote:Well I'm not getting anything of the sort on the Infinity War page, in either layout
One of my Facebook friends, who is neither unintelligent nor young, says "Avengers: Infinity War" is flat-out THE best movie she has ever seen. I weep.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » April 30th, 2018, 9:00 pm

Armoreska on Apr 30 2018, 02:14:22 PM wrote:Well I'm not getting anything of the sort on the Infinity War page, in either layout
That's the reference view, the new layout is at least readable though still a hugely garish visual mess with way too many elements. I turned off adblock and it still looks the same on the latest firefox. The animation would be super annoying even if everything displayed right.

What does the reference view look like for you?

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » April 30th, 2018, 9:19 pm

On-topic:

IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » April 30th, 2018, 9:32 pm

Yeah, that's what had me going to the page in the first place.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » April 30th, 2018, 9:42 pm

PeacefulAnarchy on Apr 30 2018, 03:00:36 PM wrote:
That's the reference view, the new layout is at least readable though still a hugely garish visual mess with way too many elements. I turned off adblock and it still looks the same on the latest firefox. The animation would be super annoying even if everything displayed right.

What does the reference view look like for you?
Just clean as usual. I don't even have an ad block on Chrome.
I'm so not bankable, they won't even barrage me with ads? Guess that makes sense though, someone would have to pay for my pointless views.
By the way we plan to drive to IMAX for this movie (first time for me just to see what the big deal is, since it's a movie I have to watch anyway, but won't care about too much when it's ruining by the dub). It's about to become the watch I spent the most money on. :lol:
Last edited by Armoreska on April 30th, 2018, 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » April 30th, 2018, 9:45 pm

Ahh, it must be country/region restricted, maybe North America only? There's also something similar on
Coco: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2380307/
and Black Panther: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1825683/

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » April 30th, 2018, 10:16 pm

Ebbywebby on Apr 30 2018, 02:41:00 PM wrote:
One of my Facebook friends, who is neither unintelligent nor young, says "Avengers: Infinity War" is flat-out THE best movie she has ever seen. I weep.
Seems like pretty faint praise to me. It's obviously the greatest work in any audio-visual medium that's even POSSIBLE. Why is your friend such a HATERRRR?

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » April 30th, 2018, 10:17 pm

PeacefulAnarchy on Apr 30 2018, 03:45:45 PM wrote:Ahh, it must be country/region restricted, maybe North America only? There's also something similar on
Nah, I'm in the USA and I'm not seeing that crap either. Probably has to do with settings also; I'm viewing on Chrome on a laptop.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » April 30th, 2018, 10:28 pm

OldAle1 on Apr 30 2018, 04:17:57 PM wrote:
PeacefulAnarchy on Apr 30 2018, 03:45:45 PM wrote:Ahh, it must be country/region restricted, maybe North America only? There's also something similar on
Nah, I'm in the USA and I'm not seeing that crap either. Probably has to do with settings also; I'm viewing on Chrome on a laptop.
What? Why does imdb hate me then? If you open it in a private/incognito window do you get the reskin? It happens on Chrome on my phone too, whether I'm logged in or not. Maybe Canda only?

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » May 1st, 2018, 3:25 am

PeacefulAnarchy on Apr 30 2018, 04:28:31 PM wrote:
What? Why does imdb hate me then? If you open it in a private/incognito window do you get the reskin? It happens on Chrome on my phone too, whether I'm logged in or not. Maybe Canda only?
I see the annoying ad layout and I'm in U.S.A.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 1st, 2018, 3:37 am

PeacefulAnarchy on Apr 30 2018, 04:28:31 PM wrote:
I only occasionally see those aggressive ad campaigns on IMDb - not seeing the current one and think the last one was some Disney thing a month or two ago. I'm running Chrome with Adblocker Ultimate and Autoplay stopper (though shouldn't need that much longer).
Last edited by xianjiro on May 1st, 2018, 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » May 1st, 2018, 4:24 am

These are a bit different than other ad campaigns I've seen in that they aren't site wide, but rather reskins of specific movie pages. So the Avengers page has a big Avengers ad and video and colour scheme, the Quiet Place page has the same but for A Quiet Place, most pages are unaffected. Seems totally useless, besides being annoying.

At least I'm not the only one.
Last edited by PeacefulAnarchy on May 1st, 2018, 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 1st, 2018, 8:55 am

Wonder if they do targeted ads (kinda like FB) - if you've seen these movies and rated any over X and fit this demographic then serve ad page

sol can find me here

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » May 1st, 2018, 9:15 am

So maybe you're logged in on Amazon which then somehow translates to IMDb.
https://help.imdb.com/article/imdb/gene ... =helpsrall#
I think per this new GDPR regulation, every website with profiles and ads is supposed to give you a bunch of options.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434