Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Waiting for results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th)
Challenges: Experimental/Avant Garde, Benelux, Run the Director
Film of the Week: Daisan no kagemusha, March nominations (Feb 26th)

Bug or MASSIVE IMDb change?

User avatar
Armoreska
Posts: 12833
Joined: November 1st, 2012, 6:00 am
Location: Ukraine, former Free Territory
Contact:

#441

Post by Armoreska »

PeacefulAnarchy on Dec 23 2017, 03:34:56 PM wrote:I'm sure no one else cares about this, because few knew it existed, but before when you sorted lists by rating it would actually sort them by rating even when imdb ratings were the "same" (i.e. it went down to the decimals that aren't shown), now it uses the same sorting as advanced search where "tied" movies are sorted by popularity score.
I'm among these few!
(Not among those who really care about it being gone though ^_^ )
Last edited by Armoreska on December 23rd, 2017, 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
he or A. or Armo or any

Image
currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists: GODARD,
Spoiler
ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, Yasujiro Ozu, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
/forum.icmforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
User avatar
RogerTheMovieManiac88
Posts: 1955
Joined: February 4th, 2017, 7:00 am
Location: Westmeath, Ireland
Contact:

#442

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 »

blueboybob on Dec 23 2017, 03:23:47 PM wrote:Can't even load my ratings page anymore. Just 500 error.
Same here. Hope it's solved because I use my IMDb ratings for reference all the time.
That's all, folks!
User avatar
Armoreska
Posts: 12833
Joined: November 1st, 2012, 6:00 am
Location: Ukraine, former Free Territory
Contact:

#443

Post by Armoreska »

RogerTheMovieManiac88 on Dec 23 2017, 04:20:23 PM wrote:
blueboybob on Dec 23 2017, 03:23:47 PM wrote:Can't even load my ratings page anymore. Just 500 error.
Same here. Hope it's solved because I use my IMDb ratings for reference all the time.
It does say:
I'll be back!

This is nothing compared to when ICM goes down
he or A. or Armo or any

Image
currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists: GODARD,
Spoiler
ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, Yasujiro Ozu, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
/forum.icmforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
User avatar
AdamH
Site Admin
Posts: 12915
Joined: May 5th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#444

Post by AdamH »

Armoreska on Dec 23 2017, 04:12:18 PM wrote:
PeacefulAnarchy on Dec 23 2017, 03:34:56 PM wrote:I'm sure no one else cares about this, because few knew it existed, but before when you sorted lists by rating it would actually sort them by rating even when imdb ratings were the "same" (i.e. it went down to the decimals that aren't shown), now it uses the same sorting as advanced search where "tied" movies are sorted by popularity score.
I'm among these few!
(Not among those who really care about it being gone though ^_^ )
I'm among those few too. I do care about it being gone although it's not as big a deal as some of the other changes.
User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 8916
Joined: June 17th, 2015, 6:00 am
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#445

Post by xianjiro »

blueboybob on Dec 23 2017, 03:23:47 PM wrote:Can't even load my ratings page anymore. Just 500 error.
yeah - have had the same issue for a few days now

assuming it's just part of the system wide update and it will return at some point
User avatar
RogerTheMovieManiac88
Posts: 1955
Joined: February 4th, 2017, 7:00 am
Location: Westmeath, Ireland
Contact:

#446

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 »

xianjiro on Dec 23 2017, 08:06:44 PM wrote:
blueboybob on Dec 23 2017, 03:23:47 PM wrote:Can't even load my ratings page anymore. Just 500 error.
yeah - have had the same issue for a few days now

assuming it's just part of the system wide update and it will return at some point
I just set up another IMDb account (only takes a couple of minutes) and it's possible to access my ratings from this other account. Seems strange that only the account in question would appear to be blocked from accessing ratings. I notice for example that I can click on the ratings of other IMDb users who have them set to 'public' but when I click to see mine I get the 'error' message.

The thing I don't get about all these changes is the lack of transparency. Even if features aren't going to return after the upgrades throughout the next few quarters, at least a little fore-warning would be gracious and pleasant. I really don't hold out much hope for IMDb but we'll see...
Last edited by RogerTheMovieManiac88 on December 24th, 2017, 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
That's all, folks!
User avatar
blueboybob
Donator
Posts: 2518
Joined: March 11th, 2013, 6:00 am
Location: DC
Contact:

#447

Post by blueboybob »

User avatar
RogerTheMovieManiac88
Posts: 1955
Joined: February 4th, 2017, 7:00 am
Location: Westmeath, Ireland
Contact:

#448

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 »

blueboybob on Dec 23 2017, 08:40:02 PM wrote:Load for anyone? -- www.imdb.com/user/ur9654339/ratings
Yeah, perfectly. Seems a strange glitch in the system, alright!
That's all, folks!
User avatar
OldAle1
Donator
Posts: 5556
Joined: February 9th, 2017, 7:00 am
Location: Dairyland, USA
Contact:

#449

Post by OldAle1 »

As little as I respect IMDb's management ethos (as far as it can be known), or Amazon's for that matter, I can't imagine that it would make sense for them to decide that people don't need to or won't care about looking at their own ratings anymore. It's hard to fathom what the reasoning would be - you can still rate things, but sorry, we're not going to let you know what you've rated? Seems likely a glitch to me but if it's not it'd be nice to know how they explain this.
Here's to the fools who dream.
User avatar
RogerTheMovieManiac88
Posts: 1955
Joined: February 4th, 2017, 7:00 am
Location: Westmeath, Ireland
Contact:

#450

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 »

OldAle1 on Dec 23 2017, 08:50:52 PM wrote:As little as I respect IMDb's management ethos (as far as it can be known), or Amazon's for that matter, I can't imagine that it would make sense for them to decide that people don't need to or won't care about looking at their own ratings anymore. It's hard to fathom what the reasoning would be - you can still rate things, but sorry, we're not going to let you know what you've rated? Seems likely a glitch to me but if it's not it'd be nice to know how they explain this.
A inconvenience to make it harder to make lists for sites such as this one? I can't imagine that the powers that be would be content to see a proliferation of IMDb lists that make reference to other movie sites in the description. Throw another spanner in the works to make it harder and harder? Or perhaps that's just the cynic in me coming into play...
That's all, folks!
User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 8916
Joined: June 17th, 2015, 6:00 am
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#451

Post by xianjiro »

blueboybob on Dec 23 2017, 08:40:02 PM wrote:Load for anyone? -- www.imdb.com/user/ur9654339/ratings
yeah, sure can see your ratings :huh:
User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 8916
Joined: June 17th, 2015, 6:00 am
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#452

Post by xianjiro »

RogerTheMovieManiac88 on Dec 23 2017, 09:22:01 PM wrote:
OldAle1 on Dec 23 2017, 08:50:52 PM wrote:As little as I respect IMDb's management ethos (as far as it can be known), or Amazon's for that matter, I can't imagine that it would make sense for them to decide that people don't need to or won't care about looking at their own ratings anymore. It's hard to fathom what the reasoning would be - you can still rate things, but sorry, we're not going to let you know what you've rated? Seems likely a glitch to me but if it's not it'd be nice to know how they explain this.
A inconvenience to make it harder to make lists for sites such as this one? I can't imagine that the powers that be would be content to see a proliferation of IMDb lists that make reference to other movie sites in the description. Throw another spanner in the works to make it harder and harder? Or perhaps that's just the cynic in me coming into play...
here's guessing that they just haven't gotten enough complaints on GetSatisfaction or if they have, it hasn't quite moved up the buglist yet

and besides, it's the long weekend for Christmas - maybe a couple employees are actually Christians or observant for familial or cultural reasons
User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 8916
Joined: June 17th, 2015, 6:00 am
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#453

Post by xianjiro »

xianjiro on Dec 22 2017, 06:16:26 PM wrote:
joachimt on Dec 22 2017, 03:52:40 PM wrote:
albajos on Dec 22 2017, 03:49:43 PM wrote:It links to the reference page, so it's fast to get back from all the other subpages. But yes, they could have removed the one on the actual reference page.
Ah, I didn't realize that. I'm already on reference by default, so when I click it, it's completely pointless.
Yeah, I noticed that as well - one just has to be a bit more skilled with the select and copy, but it still works.
okay, this annoying link has disappeared on my reference view - can only hope it stays that way?
User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 8916
Joined: June 17th, 2015, 6:00 am
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#454

Post by xianjiro »

on viewing one's own ratings - I can see my own just fine when I log in from another browser (ie: I'm not signed into the IMDb system)

so, if one has a second browser installed, we've got a work around until they get the ratings to display while logged in fixed
User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 8916
Joined: June 17th, 2015, 6:00 am
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#455

Post by xianjiro »

The Add to Watchlist icon is also back - it's just to the left of the (unlinked) title in Reference View
User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 6107
Joined: December 23rd, 2012, 7:00 am
Contact:

#456

Post by Onderhond »

xianjiro on Dec 24 2017, 01:25:15 AM wrote:on viewing one's own ratings - I can see my own just fine when I log in from another browser (ie: I'm not signed into the IMDb system)

so, if one has a second browser installed, we've got a work around until they get the ratings to display while logged in fixed
Might be some bad caching from your original browser. If you accessed the page while it was effectively offline, your browser can take a while to figure out it's back. It's not very common, but it can happen.
User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 8916
Joined: June 17th, 2015, 6:00 am
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#457

Post by xianjiro »

Onderhond on Dec 24 2017, 04:45:42 AM wrote:
xianjiro on Dec 24 2017, 01:25:15 AM wrote:on viewing one's own ratings - I can see my own just fine when I log in from another browser (ie: I'm not signed into the IMDb system)

so, if one has a second browser installed, we've got a work around until they get the ratings to display while logged in fixed
Might be some bad caching from your original browser. If you accessed the page while it was effectively offline, your browser can take a while to figure out it's back. It's not very common, but it can happen.
yeah, but it's happening on different computer (in different browsers that I use for IMDb) so ...

I got the idea of trying another browser on the same computer when Roger mentioned he created a second account and was able to view the ratings from the first. Thought my second browser method a bit easier.
User avatar
monk-time
Posts: 1339
Joined: March 23rd, 2015, 6:00 am
Contact:

#458

Post by monk-time »

xianjiro on Dec 24 2017, 06:01:36 AM wrote:yeah, but it's happening on different computer (in different browsers that I use for IMDb) so ...
Ratings page generates "500" error message:
Thanks for the report. We've filed a ticket with the appropriate team and will update this thread once more information is received.
ICM profile | My userscripts for IMDb/iCM | iCheckMovies Enhanced by themagician: call it direct, call it collect, but CALL IT TODAY!
themagician
Posts: 3889
Joined: June 18th, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: Finland
Contact:

#459

Post by themagician »

If I try to view my ratings page I get the 500 error, but exporting still works fine, just add /export to the URL like this: www.imdb.com/user/ur123456/ratings/export
User avatar
Armoreska
Posts: 12833
Joined: November 1st, 2012, 6:00 am
Location: Ukraine, former Free Territory
Contact:

#460

Post by Armoreska »

joachimt on Dec 20 2017, 01:11:37 AM wrote:Now you have to click twice to rate a movie? :(
Also now you dont have to reload the page before rating if it was opened long ago, I think
he or A. or Armo or any

Image
currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists: GODARD,
Spoiler
ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, Yasujiro Ozu, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
/forum.icmforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
User avatar
Armoreska
Posts: 12833
Joined: November 1st, 2012, 6:00 am
Location: Ukraine, former Free Territory
Contact:

#461

Post by Armoreska »

They broke another thing on the reference view, it now lists regional title first, even though I just went and changed my location to US (from blank), like:
Кримiнальне чтиво (1994)
Pulp Fiction (original title)
Last edited by Armoreska on December 24th, 2017, 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
he or A. or Armo or any

Image
currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists: GODARD,
Spoiler
ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, Yasujiro Ozu, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
/forum.icmforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 8916
Joined: June 17th, 2015, 6:00 am
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#462

Post by xianjiro »

monk-time on Dec 24 2017, 07:22:34 AM wrote:
xianjiro on Dec 24 2017, 06:01:36 AM wrote:yeah, but it's happening on different computer (in different browsers that I use for IMDb) so ...
Ratings page generates "500" error message:
Thanks for the report. We've filed a ticket with the appropriate team and will update this thread once more information is received.
:thumbsup:

I tried to report it but didn't have any luck using the "Report this" button. :shrug: I also try to avoid GetSatisfaction (not) until it's absolutely my last resort but usually FTS wins out.
User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 8916
Joined: June 17th, 2015, 6:00 am
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#463

Post by xianjiro »

themagician on Dec 24 2017, 07:41:38 AM wrote:If I try to view my ratings page I get the 500 error, but exporting still works fine, just add /export to the URL like this: www.imdb.com/user/ur123456/ratings/export
oh cool! Thanks! :thumbsup:
allisoncm
Posts: 16746
Joined: May 11th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#464

Post by allisoncm »

I'm able to export, but all the text is in one column. Any pointers how to fix?


Attachments:
User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 33366
Joined: February 16th, 2012, 7:00 am
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#465

Post by joachimt »

allisoncm on Dec 25 2017, 01:27:56 PM wrote:I'm able to export, but all the text is in one column. Any pointers how to fix?
Open in Excel. Select the first column. Go to tab "Data". Click "Text to columns". Go through the wizard and select comma as separation-symbol.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
User avatar
monk-time
Posts: 1339
Joined: March 23rd, 2015, 6:00 am
Contact:

#466

Post by monk-time »

allisoncm on Dec 25 2017, 01:27:56 PM wrote:I'm able to export, but all the text is in one column. Any pointers how to fix?
Also make sure to choose a proper encoding so that all symbols show properly (like â, å, æ, ß). For some reason (BOM?) "1252 Western European (Windows)" doesn't work for me on my system with Excel 2010, but "28591 Western European (ISO)" does and should be at least 99% compatible with what IMDb uses. Try both.
Last edited by monk-time on December 25th, 2017, 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ICM profile | My userscripts for IMDb/iCM | iCheckMovies Enhanced by themagician: call it direct, call it collect, but CALL IT TODAY!
User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 10754
Joined: February 3rd, 2017, 7:00 am
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#467

Post by sol »

Armoreska on Dec 24 2017, 08:03:51 AM wrote:
joachimt on Dec 20 2017, 01:11:37 AM wrote:Now you have to click twice to rate a movie? :(
Also now you dont have to reload the page before rating if it was opened long ago, I think
That's correct. And I much prefer double-clicking rather than having to reload pages. The double-click also prevents me from rating films accidentally when I click in the wrong area. Say what you will about IMDb, this is one of their best changes so far (even if it comes amid a sea of bad changes).
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image
User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 8916
Joined: June 17th, 2015, 6:00 am
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#468

Post by xianjiro »

sol on Dec 25 2017, 09:29:46 PM wrote:
Armoreska on Dec 24 2017, 08:03:51 AM wrote:
joachimt on Dec 20 2017, 01:11:37 AM wrote:Now you have to click twice to rate a movie? :(
Also now you dont have to reload the page before rating if it was opened long ago, I think
That's correct. And I much prefer double-clicking rather than having to reload pages. The double-click also prevents me from rating films accidentally when I click in the wrong area. Say what you will about IMDb, this is one of their best changes so far (even if it comes amid a sea of bad changes).
and don't forget about preventing drunk rating and butt rating! :)
User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 8916
Joined: June 17th, 2015, 6:00 am
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#469

Post by xianjiro »

I can get my ratings on IMDb once again (and without doing anything other than clicking on the usual link).

I'm also reading that lots are pissed off about no longer being able to sort reviews. Have to wonder if this too isn't a work in progress.

With all the vitriol, it's no wonder that IMDb doesn't listen to the user base much.
User avatar
OldAle1
Donator
Posts: 5556
Joined: February 9th, 2017, 7:00 am
Location: Dairyland, USA
Contact:

#470

Post by OldAle1 »

Ratings still not working for me. Maybe I need to log out & log back in? Now I gotta find my IMDb password again, grrr.
Here's to the fools who dream.
User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 8916
Joined: June 17th, 2015, 6:00 am
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#471

Post by xianjiro »

No, you probably just like the way they are sorting as is or you haven't gone to a page with a bazillion reviews. I can't sort reviews and didn't have to logout to lose that functionality.

BTW, the official line on reviews from (Can't)Get(NO)Satisfaction

With everything that people dislike about the changes, it seems all this stuff is very much a work in progress. So if people are unhappy, I'm guessing a simple message (like sorting reviews on helpfulness is actually useful) will probably get results.

Not saying that they don't read the whining and vitriol, it's just the user base hasn't recovered since they killed forums and it seems panic ensues with every change.

Don't worry, be happy! Get stoned, watch movies!
User avatar
blueboybob
Donator
Posts: 2518
Joined: March 11th, 2013, 6:00 am
Location: DC
Contact:

#472

Post by blueboybob »

User profiles are visible again (at least mine is)
User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 6107
Joined: December 23rd, 2012, 7:00 am
Contact:

#473

Post by Onderhond »

xianjiro on Dec 26 2017, 12:17:55 PM wrote:Not saying that they don't read the whining and vitriol
They're used to it too. Change = whining, no matter how much it improves things. Usually this outrage is regarded as "vocal minorities" and the harder a few people bitch about something, the less inclined they are to listen.
User avatar
bal3x
Donator
Posts: 13073
Joined: May 26th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#474

Post by bal3x »

So it's no longer possible to filter out TV series in a list?! In the earlier "compact view" it was easy just checking the filters on the right in the edit mode - now as far as I can see the new "refine" option works only in regular view mode not in edit mode...
User avatar
LuxNatalis
Posts: 57
Joined: February 28th, 2017, 7:00 am
Location: Athens, Greece
Contact:

#475

Post by LuxNatalis »

Apparently we're not able to add shorts to a list anymore. Looks like every week they come up with a new trick to **** up the site a little bit more.
User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 33366
Joined: February 16th, 2012, 7:00 am
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#476

Post by joachimt »

LuxNatalis on Jan 19 2018, 06:46:10 AM wrote:Apparently we're not able to add shorts to a list anymore. Looks like every week they come up with a new trick to **** up the site a little bit more.
Don't try to search for it by title. Search for it by tt-number.

Best thing is still to create your list in Excel and then make the list from the tt-number using the listhelper script.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
User avatar
LuxNatalis
Posts: 57
Joined: February 28th, 2017, 7:00 am
Location: Athens, Greece
Contact:

#477

Post by LuxNatalis »

Hey man, that worked ace. Thanks for the advice!
User avatar
OldAle1
Donator
Posts: 5556
Joined: February 9th, 2017, 7:00 am
Location: Dairyland, USA
Contact:

#478

Post by OldAle1 »

Can't rate a movie for the last several hours. Tried with a couple of different films, tried logging in and out. Anybody else?
Here's to the fools who dream.
User avatar
LuxNatalis
Posts: 57
Joined: February 28th, 2017, 7:00 am
Location: Athens, Greece
Contact:

#479

Post by LuxNatalis »

I just rated Rogue One a 4 without encountering any problems.
User avatar
OldAle1
Donator
Posts: 5556
Joined: February 9th, 2017, 7:00 am
Location: Dairyland, USA
Contact:

#480

Post by OldAle1 »

Still not working for me. I suppose I could try switching to another browser. Meh, more stupid crap from that site. I should check and see if I can still log into my Amazon account - maybe they don't want American, or non-cell-phone users anymore? Who knows with these assholes.
Here's to the fools who dream.
Post Reply