Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th), Favourite Movies (Mar 28th)
Challenges: UK/Ireland, Directed by Women, Waves from around the World
Film of the Week: Lean on Pete, April nominations (Apr 1st)

iCM Bugs

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

Something that has been bothering me lately, because I've been using beta-ICM more.

If you're searching for a film title in beta, film titles with apostrophes get nothing. Beta seems to bail out of looking as soon as you type an apostrophe. No?
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

joachimt wrote: September 1st, 2020, 5:58 pm Another important bug has been solved. When you update a list with movie urls and some of those movies are not on iCM yet, you always get the whoops-message, but nothing actually happened. Now those movies are being added to the queue, processed within a minute and you can update the list as you wished. So no need to go through the hassle of figuring out which movies caused the problem. I'm so happy with this. :)
I think I'm so happy I could just cry. :clap:
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

joachimt wrote: September 1st, 2020, 2:45 pm He also just separated the processes of calculating official checks and calculating rankings. He hopes that ranking updates go faster that way. Let's see.
Rankings updated some time the last 24 hours, so I'm hopeful. Let's wait and see when the next update it.

Marijn also solved the bug of private lists that were visible in the beta.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

joachimt wrote: September 2nd, 2020, 5:00 pm
joachimt wrote: September 1st, 2020, 2:45 pm He also just separated the processes of calculating official checks and calculating rankings. He hopes that ranking updates go faster that way. Let's see.
Rankings updated some time the last 24 hours, so I'm hopeful. Let's wait and see when the next update it.

Oh no! Now the giant, overlapping, "bookkeeping" lists of people like sinapsis, mightysparks, tigerlily76 and mjf314 will remain an unsolved mystery forever. :)

The bug doesn't seem QUITE fixed.... I tried a movie that I remembered having visible private lists, and the private lists were still listed on the film's page but just weren't viewable when clicked.
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

Ebbywebby wrote: September 1st, 2020, 9:18 pm Something that has been bothering me lately, because I've been using beta-ICM more.

If you're searching for a film title in beta, film titles with apostrophes get nothing. Beta seems to bail out of looking as soon as you type an apostrophe. No?
ah, the PirateBay issue
he or A. or Armo or any

currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists: GODARD,
Spoiler
ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, Yasujiro Ozu, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
/forum.icmforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Ebbywebby wrote: September 2nd, 2020, 7:54 pm
joachimt wrote: September 2nd, 2020, 5:00 pm

Oh no! Now the giant, overlapping, "bookkeeping" lists of people like sinapsis, mightysparks, tigerlily76 and mjf314 will remain an unsolved mystery forever. :)

The bug doesn't seem QUITE fixed.... I tried a movie that I remembered having visible private lists, and the private lists were still listed on the film's page but just weren't viewable when clicked.
Can you give an example of a movie where you see this issue?
ICM-profile
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

Well, the particular film I looked up now seems fixed whereas it didn't before. But if I come across any other examples, I'll share them.
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

OK, maybe the problem IS fixed now. I Googled "beta.icheckmovies.com" + "test list japanese" (one of the private lists I've most repeatedly come across), and all the resulting links no longer had the "test list japanese" list visible anymore.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Ebbywebby wrote: September 1st, 2020, 9:18 pm Something that has been bothering me lately, because I've been using beta-ICM more.

I gave up on beta some time ago, but wasn't sure how v2 dealt with apostrophes but it came up tonight and no problem detected.

The one thing I remember having issues with was searching for a name with diacrtical characters (accents, grave, tilde, etc - done by cut and paste usually). Not only did I have issues with the pop-up list (you know the one that thinks The Dark Knight is the movie we're all looking for), but even submitting the search wouldn't result in a hit. However, I tried to recreate this unsuccessfully within the past 24 hours (though I didn't try that hard). Maybe something changed? If I do see the issue, I'll try to remember to post about it.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

joachimt wrote: September 1st, 2020, 5:58 pm Another important bug has been solved. When you update a list with movie urls and some of those movies are not on iCM yet, you always get the whoops-message, but nothing actually happened. Now those movies are being added to the queue, processed within a minute and you can update the list as you wished. So no need to go through the hassle of figuring out which movies caused the problem. I'm so happy with this. :)
:circle: :circle:
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

I strongly assume this has been posted before, but I'll leave this here since it annoys me all the time:

Comment count is broken on almost all film pages, in oldschool view and in beta view as well - for example, the tab will say there are Comments (1) when in fact there are zero.
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/tolo+tolo/ .. like here

The worst case scenario in terms of annoyance looks like this: https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/bra ... +chapters/
Tab says there are 4 comments, preview will always only show 3, so I go to the comment section ... to see that there are non more than 3 comments. <_<

If that hasn't been discussed before, my wild guess would be that there has been some kind of spam flood attack across the whole site one day and the account got banned and everything auto-deleted but left the numbers messed up. Might be total nonsense, though. Another hypothesis or proper explanation is all welcome. :lol:
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

I've noticed this as well, and I always thought it was because the total included deleted comments... but now that I can delete comments myself I realize that is not the case. When I delete a comment, the total number goes down by one as well. I don't think spam attacks were mass- or auto-deleted, but but maybe if an account gets deleted any comments from that account disappear, but they're not actually deleted and just hidden somewhere, thus they still show up in the total? Looking at the page source in both current and beta versions doesn't show me anything useful as well.
Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan »

So I added a movie (https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/pets+united/) and checked it. But the movie is showing up with 0 checks. if I remove my check, it goes to -1.
Owner of two platinums:
  • FilmTotaal Top 100
  • IMDb's Sci-Fi Top 50
hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu »

Kublai Khan wrote: September 13th, 2020, 6:13 am So I added a movie (https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/pets+united/) and checked it. But the movie is showing up with 0 checks. if I remove my check, it goes to -1.
Looks like reverse-checking à la Tenet
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Did you use the "also check this film" function when you imported it, or did you manually check it after it was imported?
Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan »

Fergenaprido wrote: September 13th, 2020, 10:53 am Did you use the "also check this film" function when you imported it, or did you manually check it after it was imported?
I believe I did, yes.
Owner of two platinums:
  • FilmTotaal Top 100
  • IMDb's Sci-Fi Top 50
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Kublai Khan wrote: September 13th, 2020, 4:22 pm
Fergenaprido wrote: September 13th, 2020, 10:53 am Did you use the "also check this film" function when you imported it, or did you manually check it after it was imported?
I believe I did, yes.
I just tried to replicate this by importing a new film and selecting the "also check this film" option, but it worked correctly and my check is displayed properly on the page: https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/brug-2017/

So it looks like an isolated incident. I'll report it to Marijn, but I'm not sure how easy of a fix it will be. 4 other people have now checked Pets United, so at least it's not at 0 anymore.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/the ... ss+moment/

film_noir seems to be quite the unique genre. :sweat:
I assume the name of Max Ophüls triggered some kind of error?
PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

That film noir bug is pretty old; it was fixed several years ago, I think. Could be that that one never got fixed. I just checked in the beta and only one other film had it Mr. Arkadin, which I just fixed. Hopefully they're leftovers and not a recurrence.
WalterNeff
Donator

Post by WalterNeff »

Torgo wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 12:15 am https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/the ... ss+moment/

You're just realizing that?
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

Torgo wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 12:15 am https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/the ... ss+moment/

I assume the name of Max Ophüls triggered some kind of error?
I'm missing the glitch here. What's the problem?
PeacefulAnarchy

I fixed it. The genre was film_noir instead of film-noir. Also Ophuls' name was wrong.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

WalterNeff wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 2:29 am

You're just realizing that?
:D
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

I fixed up Ophuls' world a bit too. One of his films was under "Max Opuls" instead and, for some reason, clicking his credit on a given film's page didn't bring up all his films. His big films were separate from his lesser ones. I've come across this glitch before...if you just "update" all the director's films, the problem gets corrected.

I also recently added about 30 films by the man who directed "A Colt Is My Passport." Kind of a one-hit wonder, wasn't he?
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Ebbywebby wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 7:01 pm

I also recently added about 30 films by the man who directed "A Colt Is My Passport." Kind of a one-hit wonder, wasn't he?
I'll say. If you look at IMDb votes of his 42 listed features and sort by # of ratings you get

1. 1606 ratings (Colt)
2. 11 ratings
3. 6 ratings

I guess nothing else he made got any distribution at all outside Japan, and maybe not much inside the country either. I liked Colt quite a bit, but not so much as to immediately think "undiscovered genius!" Still it'd be nice if some of those other films were rescued from obscurity so we could at least make a better guess as to his talent.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Ebbywebby wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 7:01 pm I fixed up Ophuls' world a bit too. One of his films was under "Max Opuls" instead and, for some reason, clicking his credit on a given film's page didn't bring up all his films.
This is exactly what happened in my post above - and the ominous genre film_noir didn't bring up any other matches at all. (Let alone 840 matches! :ph43r: )
It's weird sometimes.
PeacefulAnarchy

If you're trying to find other matches you need to do it in the beta version, not the live version.
zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

One of my Facebook friends just sent me the following iCM Bug

"Wayne, this is weird. I looked up the movie Paterson on iCM and then clicked on the director to see his films and the resulting list did not have Paterson in it, even though I arrived at the director's list by clicking on his name on the Paterson entry. Do you know what is happening? Does the same thing happen to you if you follow the steps I took?
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/paterson/ "

I did as asked. The normal site is only showing 17 movies in Jim Jarmusch's list but Beta has 24, including Paterson. Any idea why this is happening?
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

zzzorf wrote: October 24th, 2020, 12:50 am One of my Facebook friends just sent me the following iCM Bug

"Wayne, this is weird. I looked up the movie Paterson on iCM and then clicked on the director to see his films and the resulting list did not have Paterson in it, even though I arrived at the director's list by clicking on his name on the Paterson entry. Do you know what is happening? Does the same thing happen to you if you follow the steps I took?
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/paterson/ "

I did as asked. The normal site is only showing 17 movies in Jim Jarmusch's list but Beta has 24, including Paterson. Any idea why this is happening?
Hi there! PeacefulAnarchy gave a good answer on this, but apparently in another thread.
The director lists more or less were discontinued after 2016 or so on the "old" version of ICM and will be shown correctly in the Beta. That's how I understand it and it matches with my user experience on the site.
Maybe the admin(s) thought the shift to the next version of ICM would happen faster :)
PeacefulAnarchy

The way the db worked was when a movie was imported it autocreated tags for the genre, director, year, etc. So filter searching was done using those tags instead of the actual data. I assume the reason for this was some performance reason, where the tag index was smaller and easier to search/filter with, but it also wasn't properly designed to be updated when a movie was updated. Even though the beta has been in beta for years Marijn has been changing a lot of backend code over the years, making the db more efficient and adding a few options etc. One of those changes involved decoupling whatever was going on with the tags from the import, so any films added after whenever that was no longer generated tags. The new search and filter code, on beta, uses the actual fields instead of the tags, which is why it works there, but the live version still uses the old code so new movies don't get filtered by the genre/year/director tags.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Keep an eye out - I don't think totals are updating on the ranking of top users. Yesterday, I'd swear it said I was at 9148 and it still says 9148 today - I've watched at least five official checks in the meantime.
erde

Post by erde »

xianjiro wrote: October 27th, 2020, 8:24 am Keep an eye out - I don't think totals are updating on the ranking of top users. Yesterday, I'd swear it said I was at 9148 and it still says 9148 today - I've watched at least five official checks in the meantime.
Yep, I have noticed the same thing, and it seems to have been going on for a few days.
Image Image
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

erde wrote: October 27th, 2020, 8:28 am
xianjiro wrote: October 27th, 2020, 8:24 am Keep an eye out - I don't think totals are updating on the ranking of top users. Yesterday, I'd swear it said I was at 9148 and it still says 9148 today - I've watched at least five official checks in the meantime.
Yep, I have noticed the same thing, and it seems to have been going on for a few days.
Thanks erde! I'll wait for a third confirmation before reporting it officially - if someone else doesn't beat me to it.
jmarasco

Post by jmarasco »

xianjiro wrote: October 27th, 2020, 8:33 am
erde wrote: October 27th, 2020, 8:28 am
Thanks erde! I'll wait for a third confirmation before reporting it officially - if someone else doesn't beat me to it.
I third this - been waiting for checks for a few days now. Also if you look at any page of the user rankings no one is moving up or down.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

How quick is it normally? I just checked at my count and the number in the rankings is 4 checks behind on my actual checks, which is only two days worth of checks. We've had this before. I noticed some performance issues yesterday at fixing dupes, which was going very slow. So maybe the process is running but just slow.
ICM-profile
jmarasco

Post by jmarasco »

From what I've noticed it's typically within a day, give or take.
tazz_85

Post by tazz_85 »

it's updated every night(?)
i check almost every day a few shorts, my ranking is updated every morning when i check the website. but it hasn't updated since saturday/sunday
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

I might confirm that things seem to be more off than usual:
Yes, normally I expect rankings to update overnight (from an European perspective). I am used to a little hiccup in this process and never get anxious if it takes a day - the site reliably catches up everything missing. It seems that the displayed checks for top users of official lists also is lagging behind <- tried to prove that through stalking joachim's list progression for TSZDT and it seemed to check out, but looked for other examples and it didn't. <_<

My example would have been:
Spoiler
I checked Dry Summer on the Turkish list 12 hours ago, which could be just around the cutoff for site updates. It's my 9th check on the list, yet when I now control the top user progress it looks like this:

I had the impression that this information usually gets updated faster than top user rankings for individual lists and for ICM in general and that it was more lagging than usual.
Maybe that impression was just not true to begin with. <_<
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

@Torgo: The top user rankings for individual lists and the number of checks displayed in the rankings for those lists update at the same time. The number of checks displayed in the Checked tab for the list updates immediately, though. The individual rankings do seem to update at different times than the overall rankings, but I'm unaware of what the actual schedule is.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Well, I admit to being somewhat confused as to what is updating instantly (other than awards) and what needs a process to run (like reordering lists). I don't want to seem impatient simply because I don't remember the relative schedule of events.

Wasn't fixing problems with official vs non-official totals just addressed about a month ago - when Joachimt asked what we thought the most pressing (top 10?) issues were?