Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 16 released September 13th)
Polls: Romance (Results), 1951 (Results), 500<400 (Sep 23rd), 2008 (Oct 4th)
Challenges: Animation, Silent Era, Russia/USSR
Film of the Week: Durak, October nominations (Sep 25th)
World Cup S4: QF Schedule, Match QFB: India vs Greece (Sep 20th), Match QFC: Germany vs Italy (Oct 1st)

iCM Bugs

AdamH
Site Admin

Re: iCM Bugs

Post by AdamH » August 19th, 2020, 8:24 pm

Biggest issues for me:
-Can't upload a list by IMDb URL
-Can't import films that aren't already on iCM by importing a list or URLs - have to go through the longer method on beta

Just went on iCM and it's the quickest I've seen it for a very, very long time. Credit for that, very nice to see! Even going directly on www.icheckmovies.com loads quickly and that has taken ages for me for a long time. Good job.

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » August 19th, 2020, 10:10 pm

joachimt wrote:
August 19th, 2020, 8:09 pm
@Fergy:
Good one. Noted.

@hurluberlu:
Checkbox noted.
Doesn't updating a list by IMDb movie url(s) work for you? I never have problems with that.
The problem with both of these problems is that it's very hard for Marijn to reproduce them. But I agree with you that the checkbox-unreliability should be high on the priority list.
I'd guess Marjin is using an asynchronous pipeline for saving the checks (like posting the update to a kafka topic that then a back-end consumer would pick up and update in the database) for scalability reasons. Probably the best way to fix this from a user-facing standpoint would be to have the loading icon on the check remain in that status until the front-end receives a success message that the check was saved successfully by the back-end (which is usually posted to a separate response topic, also for scaling).

In general, the site seems to be running much better now though. :thumbsup:

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » August 20th, 2020, 12:45 am

Thank Marijn for me as well - much improved today (yesterday and Monday were problematic)

Not exactly sure how to frame it, but the search box thingie - we've all complained about it. You go to click the title you want and in that split second, the list updates and bam The Dark Knight or whatever (which isn't the target) pops up and you have to start over. Also, just not sure the fuzzy logic works too well. I've given it the exact name, and still have to scroll through a long list before I find the movie I want. Maybe someone else can express this better than I can right now.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 20th, 2020, 7:15 am

AdamH wrote:
August 19th, 2020, 8:24 pm
Biggest issues for me:
-Can't upload a list by IMDb URL
-Can't import films that aren't already on iCM by importing a list or URLs - have to go through the longer method on beta
- I don't think a bug that has existed since I joined iCM will have much priority at the moment. The bug is known, but it's not something he should fix asap.
- You mean when updating an iCM-list, right? That's in my top 10 as well.
xianjiro wrote:
August 20th, 2020, 12:45 am
Not exactly sure how to frame it, but the search box thingie - we've all complained about it. You go to click the title you want and in that split second, the list updates and bam The Dark Knight or whatever (which isn't the target) pops up and you have to start over. Also, just not sure the fuzzy logic works too well. I've given it the exact name, and still have to scroll through a long list before I find the movie I want. Maybe someone else can express this better than I can right now.
I'll summarize this somehow. Basically it's two things:
- Search engine is crap. Titles with general words or very short titles are hard to find.
- Dropdown of the search engine often reloads to default with The Dark Knight on top, often exactly at the moment you want to click the title you wanted.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » August 20th, 2020, 7:54 am

joachimt wrote:
August 19th, 2020, 8:09 pm
@hurluberlu:
Checkbox noted.
Doesn't updating a list by IMDb movie url(s) work for you? I never have problems with that.
The problem with both of these problems is that it's very hard for Marijn to reproduce them. But I agree with you that the checkbox-unreliability should be high on the priority list.
Checkbox works great now, first time I see it working so fast !
Adding movies from movie urls as well (I havent rechecked importing imdb lists). So the recent fix does wonders ! :D
Hopefully it will last.

The bug reported by xianjiro on dropdown menu is also annoying to me.
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 20th, 2020, 8:34 am

Maybe not one of the most necessary to prioritize, and probably too big to fix, but being able to delete a list (without freezing the site and possibly still not getting deleted)...
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » August 20th, 2020, 9:47 am

AdamH wrote:
Biggest issues for me:

Just went on iCM and it's the quickest I've seen it for a very, very long time. Credit for that, very nice to see! Even going directly on www.icheckmovies.com loads quickly and that has taken ages for me for a long time. Good job.
Good one! That’s one is major annoyance to me as well. It used to be when you upload IMDb url to make a list, the system automatically picked out which aren't on iCM and added those to the import queue. Nowadays you have to import them trough the beta. And cause I often don't know which movies are exactly missing I have to upload tons of movies to get the import the missing ones.. well joachim you know the problem as a poll hoster ;)

Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 » August 20th, 2020, 11:18 am

It's indeed quite .... frustrating when you import packs of 5000 movies.

Mighty is also right : it"s almost impossible to delete lists... even when i modify them before to one film only.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » August 20th, 2020, 11:29 am

mightysparks wrote:
August 20th, 2020, 8:34 am
Maybe not one of the most necessary to prioritize, and probably too big to fix, but being able to delete a list (without freezing the site and possibly still not getting deleted)...
+1

I've got so many pointless lists on the site but it's so difficult to delete them

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » August 20th, 2020, 1:06 pm

Just want to say, whatever has been done is amazing!

Movies chekc on first click now! Things are loading great. I appreciate all his hard work. I'm not a dev, but am a software tester. So if he needs some QE testing I could do that

my one bug (that i can work around) is my imdb export is too big to be imported on site. so i export, open in excel, trim it, then import

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 20th, 2020, 8:43 pm

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
August 20th, 2020, 9:47 am
AdamH wrote:
Biggest issues for me:

Good one! That’s one is major annoyance to me as well. It used to be when you upload IMDb url to make a list, the system automatically picked out which aren't on iCM and added those to the import queue. Nowadays you have to import them trough the beta. And cause I often don't know which movies are exactly missing I have to upload tons of movies to get the import the missing ones.. well joachim you know the problem as a poll hoster ;)
hurluberlu says above that it's working now. Can you reproduce this? I can try myself tomorrow as well.
ICM-profile

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 20th, 2020, 8:44 pm

Deleting lists is noted.

bbb's problem is annoying to only a few people, but is still something that needs to work, so noted.

I think I have the most important ones now. I'll report to Marijn tomorrow.
ICM-profile

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » August 21st, 2020, 12:21 am

joachimt wrote:
August 20th, 2020, 8:44 pm

bbb's problem is annoying to only a few people, but is still something that needs to work, so noted.
apprecited and agree, there is a very simple work around so low priority

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » August 21st, 2020, 1:20 am

joachimt wrote:
August 20th, 2020, 7:15 am
xianjiro wrote:
- Search engine is crap. Titles with general words or very short titles are hard to find.
- Dropdown of the search engine often reloads to default with The Dark Knight on top, often exactly at the moment you want to click the title you wanted.
Sounds good though I'll leave it to you to decide if the word "crap" will offend Marijn - that's certainly not the message I wish to send. I want him to know that we appreciate the work he puts into the site!

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » August 21st, 2020, 6:28 am

joachimt wrote:
I don't know how titles with general words or very few words COULD be easy to find. Maybe if we could input the release year too?

My usual workarounds:

1) Search for the director
2) Search for another film by the same director, then click the director's name on that film's page
3) Search for its IMDb tag

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 21st, 2020, 7:43 am

Ebbywebby wrote:
August 21st, 2020, 6:28 am
joachimt wrote:
I don't know how titles with general words or very few words COULD be easy to find. Maybe if we could input the release year too?

My usual workarounds:

1) Search for the director
2) Search for another film by the same director, then click the director's name on that film's page
3) Search for its IMDb tag
On iCM the best way is to search by IMDb-tt-number. But it's certainly very well possible to have a search-engine that finds movies with short titles. Compare these two search engines searching for R (2010):

ICM-profile

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 21st, 2020, 7:45 am

xianjiro wrote:
August 21st, 2020, 1:20 am
joachimt wrote:
xianjiro wrote:
Sounds good though I'll leave it to you to decide if the word "crap" will offend Marijn - that's certainly not the message I wish to send. I want him to know that we appreciate the work he puts into the site!
Marijn isn't offended very quickly, but I'll use another word indeed. ;)
ICM-profile

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » August 21st, 2020, 9:16 am

joachimt wrote:
August 20th, 2020, 8:43 pm
Lonewolf2003 wrote:
AdamH wrote:
Biggest issues for me:

hurluberlu says above that it's working now. Can you reproduce this? I can try myself tomorrow as well.
I don't know how I can test this, cause I will need some url of movies which aren't on iCM.

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » August 21st, 2020, 10:32 am

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
August 21st, 2020, 9:16 am
joachimt wrote:
August 20th, 2020, 8:43 pm
Lonewolf2003 wrote:

I don't know how I can test this, cause I will need some url of movies which aren't on iCM.
I think the easiest way its to look for 2020 films on imdb with few votes; those have a better likelihood of not having been added to icm yet.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 21st, 2020, 11:11 am

I'll check later today, when I'm adding movies to IMDb again.
ICM-profile

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 21st, 2020, 6:03 pm

hurluberlu, what made you think the bug with new titles on a list is solved?

I just edited a list of mine. I went to the tab "by IMDb movie url(s)". I added two IMDb-links at the bottom of movies that aren't on iCM yet. After hitting save I got the whoops message and it said they have been added to the queue. Clicking on the queue shows me three list-links that are stuck in the queue. No movie urls.
https://www.icheckmovies.com/import/moviequeue/
I also checked https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/?sort=dateadded
No sign of the movies there (movies are called "Picking Locks" and "Point of Honour").

How long did it take with you for the movies to appear?
ICM-profile

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 21st, 2020, 6:28 pm

After waiting a little longer, nothing happened, so I added them to iCM with the add movie form. They were added within seconds, showing up at all movies sorted by date added. I could add them to a list immediately. Search engine still doesn't find them though.

So as far as I can see, this isn't solved. I'll put this very high on the priority list, because it's something that bothers a lot of people.
ICM-profile

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » August 21st, 2020, 9:22 pm

joachimt wrote:
August 21st, 2020, 6:03 pm
I was referring to adding a movie to a list, new to the list not to ICM, which didn’t work for me before.
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » August 21st, 2020, 11:35 pm

joachimt wrote:
I have a program that converts titles to IMDb URLs, and it seems to work pretty well. Maybe Marijn can try something like this for the search engine. (I don't know how the current search engine works, so maybe he already does something similar to this)

First the user types a title. Let's call it "searchString".
Go through each movie in the database, and calculate a score for the movie, keeping track of the X highest scores (X is the number of search results that you want to display).

To calculate the score for a particular movie:
score = favs*16 + checks + 1
Calculate the edit distance to the movie's title, and the movie's aka title (ignoring case). Choose the smaller of the two edit distances.
If searchString is a substring of either title (ignoring case), cap the editDistance at 2.5.
Divide the score by 16^editDistance.

To improve efficiency, the movies can be sorted in advance (sort by favs*16 + checks + 1, and update this list maybe once a week). This way, if it's a popular movie, the best score will be near the beginning of the list. Also if the initial score is already very low, you can skip calculating the edit distance.

If it's still too slow, there are probably other ways to speed it up.

Torgo

Post by Torgo » August 22nd, 2020, 12:08 am

hurluberlu wrote:
August 19th, 2020, 6:45 pm
One of the priority should really be fixing the "checking" (checking the check box to mark a movie checked); it is what people use the site for after all...
Sometimes it works after a few seconds, sometimes the wheel is spinning forever over the check box without effect, sometimes it marks it is checked but if you reload the page it is not... You always need to reload the page to ensure it is checked or try again.
Just wanted to second that - I kinda got used to reloading the page after checking a film, because otherwise I would have missed quite a few so far due to this bug.
Been like this for a few years, I guess?

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » August 22nd, 2020, 12:42 am

Private lists aren't private - discussed in about 20 messages starting with viewtopic.php?p=642037#p642037

(sorry, was only reminded of this today - or at least something jogged my memory of it)

sol can find me here

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 22nd, 2020, 5:53 am

hurluberlu wrote:
August 21st, 2020, 9:22 pm
joachimt wrote:
August 21st, 2020, 6:03 pm
I was referring to adding a movie to a list, new to the list not to ICM, which didn’t work for me before.
I didn't have that problem at all. Glad it's working for you again.
Torgo wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 12:08 am
hurluberlu wrote:
August 19th, 2020, 6:45 pm
One of the priority should really be fixing the "checking" (checking the check box to mark a movie checked); it is what people use the site for after all...
Sometimes it works after a few seconds, sometimes the wheel is spinning forever over the check box without effect, sometimes it marks it is checked but if you reload the page it is not... You always need to reload the page to ensure it is checked or try again.
I never had to reload after checking. I often had to reload because it wouldn't check. But for a few days it's working fine. How is it working for you now?
mjf314 wrote:
August 21st, 2020, 11:35 pm
joachimt wrote:
I have a program that converts titles to IMDb URLs, and it seems to work pretty well. Maybe Marijn can try something like this for the search engine. (I don't know how the current search engine works, so maybe he already does something similar to this)

First the user types a title. Let's call it "searchString".
Go through each movie in the database, and calculate a score for the movie, keeping track of the X highest scores (X is the number of search results that you want to display).

To calculate the score for a particular movie:
score = favs*16 + checks + 1
Calculate the edit distance to the movie's title, and the movie's aka title (ignoring case). Choose the smaller of the two edit distances.
If searchString is a substring of either title (ignoring case), cap the editDistance at 2.5.
Divide the score by 16^editDistance.

To improve efficiency, the movies can be sorted in advance (sort by favs*16 + checks + 1, and update this list maybe once a week). This way, if it's a popular movie, the best score will be near the beginning of the list. Also if the initial score is already very low, you can skip calculating the edit distance.

If it's still too slow, there are probably other ways to speed it up.
Just wanted to second that - I kinda got used to reloading the page after checking a film, because otherwise I would have missed quite a few so far due to this bug.
Been like this for a few years, I guess?
Maybe you can discuss this with Marijn yourself?
xianjiro wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 12:42 am
Private lists aren't private - discussed in about 20 messages starting with viewtopic.php?p=642037#p642037

(sorry, was only reminded of this today - or at least something jogged my memory of it)
Oh right, I'll send Marijn another message.
ICM-profile

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » August 22nd, 2020, 9:56 am

Joachim, any chance the deleting lists bug will be fixed? For years, I haven't been able to delete lists without crashing the site and there are so many I'd like to delete.

And I definitely second the checking bug. It's been a bug for years and is obviously the core purpose of the site.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 22nd, 2020, 6:39 pm

I've put the deleting of list in the top 5 of bugs to solve.

Do you still second the checking bug? Others are saying it's working fine since Marijn made some changes this week after iCM was down.
ICM-profile

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » August 22nd, 2020, 6:44 pm

Checking bug is definitely better, but not fully fixed I think.

insomnius

Post by insomnius » August 29th, 2020, 12:17 pm

Can't add films to icm. Again.

tazz_85

Post by tazz_85 » August 29th, 2020, 6:59 pm

What's up with the general ranking? it's updated just once in the past two weeks, normally it's every night?

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 29th, 2020, 7:38 pm

It's slow....
ICM-profile

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 29th, 2020, 8:42 pm

insomnius wrote:
August 29th, 2020, 12:17 pm
Same here. I've contacted Marijn.
ICM-profile

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » August 30th, 2020, 7:16 am

joachimt wrote:
August 29th, 2020, 8:42 pm
insomnius wrote:
Seems like it's fixed now. Two films I tried to add last night finally got added today.

insomnius

Post by insomnius » August 30th, 2020, 9:35 am

Fergenaprido wrote:
August 30th, 2020, 7:16 am
joachimt wrote:
August 29th, 2020, 8:42 pm
insomnius wrote:
Seems like it's fixed now. Two films I tried to add last night finally got added today.
Yeah, mine got added too. I also tried two new ones just now and they were added immediately.

Thanks for fixing. :thumbsup:

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » September 1st, 2020, 2:45 pm

Marijn solved the Most Checked and Most Favorited bug. Lists are now updated.

He also just separated the processes of calculating official checks and calculating rankings. He hopes that ranking updates go faster that way. Let's see.
ICM-profile

filmbantha

Post by filmbantha » September 1st, 2020, 3:53 pm

joachimt wrote:
September 1st, 2020, 2:45 pm
Marijn solved the Most Checked and Most Favorited bug. Lists are now updated.
Excellent news! Send my thanks on to Marijn, really happy to see the most favourite list back in action. Also excited that the update has come with a couple of new films for me to check out. :thumbsup:

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » September 1st, 2020, 5:58 pm

Another important bug has been solved. When you update a list with movie urls and some of those movies are not on iCM yet, you always get the whoops-message, but nothing actually happened. Now those movies are being added to the queue, processed within a minute and you can update the list as you wished. So no need to go through the hassle of figuring out which movies caused the problem. I'm so happy with this. :)
ICM-profile

Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 » September 1st, 2020, 7:12 pm

That's excellent news!