Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 11 released July 24th)
Polls: 2010s (Results), 0 Official Lists (Jul 31st), 1960 (Aug 9th)
Challenges: German/Austrian/Swiss, <400, 1970s
Film of the Week: Sibiriada, September nominations (Aug 28th)
World Cup S4: Match 2G: Russia vs Portugal (Aug 6th), Match 2H: India vs Cuba (Aug 16th), QF Preparation (Aug 25th)

iCM Bugs

shugs
Donator

Re: iCM Bugs

Post by shugs » April 21st, 2020, 1:38 pm

Changing the password does not seem to kill existing sessions. :satstunned:

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » April 21st, 2020, 2:11 pm

AdamH wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 1:27 pm
I'm trying to add a list to iCM but can't get it to work. Public list on IMDb but it says the link is invalid when I try to add by IMDb list URL. When I try to add by movie URL instead it also doesn't work.

"Whoops!
You have specified movies that have not yet been added to iCheckMovies. The missing movies have automatically been added to the movie import queue. You will automatically receive a notificaton when the movies have been imported, if you have specified so in your notification settings."

When I go to the import queue, none of my films are on it. Any ideas?
By list url never works, ever since I'm on iCM.
By movie urls works, but if there are movies on the list that are not yet on iCM, you've got more work to do. Unfortunately the titles won't get added to the importer automatically (anymore) and even if they are, they won't process quickly so you can't add the list a moment later.

So first you need to figure out which movies are the problem. Go to the add title page on the beta. Paste the movie urls there and hit the button. You can't add more titles there than roughly 150. The importer will tell you which titles are already on iCM and which have been added to the queue. Make notes of those and repeat the process if your list is longer than 150.

If you're lucky you can add the list some moments later. I haven't tried for a while, because I stopped trying. In the past I had to wait at least a day before I could add the new titles to a list.

If you've got a long list, you don't want to repeat that process of 150 titles multiple times. So hopefully you have a way of filtering in Excel which movies are already on iCM. Could be done with a previous edition of a list for example...... Or if you're using an IMDb-export, you can assume the titles with lots of ratings are already on iCM, so you can skip those. Some basic Excel skills are helpful in this case.

Pain in the ass, I know. It's been bugging me for years and I'm actually pretty pissed at Marijn that he never solved this one.

This post should be in a FAQ somewhere, because I explained this so many times before.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » April 21st, 2020, 2:26 pm

Thanks, Joachim. Yeah, I've had this problem for a long time and it's often stopped me adding lists as I haven't been able to find a list. I have 250+ films on my list but I'll try your method. I'll try the ones with fewest votes first. It's a bit annoying as it's a list of films where I'm gradually adding new ones to it as I find them so I don't want to keep repeating this process. It's easily one of the most important features of the site for me.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » April 21st, 2020, 2:45 pm

It worked. Thanks!!!

A bit of a long way to have to do it but at least there's a workaround.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » April 21st, 2020, 2:52 pm

Great!

I do this every month with multiple lists...... sigh
ICM-profile

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » April 25th, 2020, 4:04 am

Anyone else having extra trouble getting the Movies/Lists/People pulldown menus to work in the past few weeks? Sometimes they work, sometimes not.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » April 25th, 2020, 4:57 am

yeah, yesterday seemed pretty problematic - also couldn't rate movies without multiple reloads, rebooting the browser, etc

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » April 29th, 2020, 6:41 am

Okay, I'm starting to notice a pattern on when I have problems checking. I'm posting here before going to the official forum as I'd like to hear your experiences. So please try to document how you're using iCM, when you're having trouble, etc.

Okay, one thing I've noticed is this seems to be an issue after having a page open for a while - I haven't tested if putting the computer effects it or not, but it's a thought and certainly happened tonight. But I'm pretty confident I've put the computer in sleep, come back, watched the film, reloaded the page, and had no problems.

I refreshed the page since it had been open for a while and the URL changed from https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/omocha/ to https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/omocha/#
That's right - a pound sign is added to the end of the URL. I noticed this a couple days ago when I had an issue, but almost by accident and wasn't certain until just now.

Tonight, even with the extra character, this time the check took. It was slow which isn't what I've been seeing - if the check won't stick, like my first attempt tonight (and before the # was appended), the revolving filmreel doesn't show and and the empty checkbox is almost immediately returned. This suggests that maybe the browser isn't trying to contact the server (it's so quick especially when compared to how long it takes for an actual check to happen).

I thought for sure I wouldn't be able to get a check with the # appendage, but it worked. So keep your eyes on the URL, especially when you're having trouble and let me know what you see.

Has anyone noticed the # appended before? :thumbsup:

Thanks!

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » April 29th, 2020, 6:58 am

That's right - a pound sign is added to the end of the URL. I noticed this a couple days ago when I had an issue, but almost by accident and wasn't certain until just now.
Usually a sign of javascript errors.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » April 29th, 2020, 9:01 am

As in errors in coding or is something happening during execution of the code?

My second movie tonight did the same thing and without putting the machine into sleep mode. This time refreshing didn't work, but closing that tab and opening a new tab and searching for the tt# in iCM worked.

So while this has happened a number of times, I'd say usually around this time of day - late for me, early for you guys - it doesn't feel completely consistent in how it manifests. That's a good reason for getting others to document the situation as they are seeing it.

sol can find me here

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » April 29th, 2020, 9:45 am

xianjiro wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 9:01 am
As in errors in coding or is something happening during execution of the code?
The # is because the element that does the code for the check is a basic html link (<a href="#">) that points to the same page. Javascript will stop the actual link action and perform the "check" functionality so that the film will register as checked by you. But when something goes wrong with the javascript, the link will not be stopped and you will be redirected to the same page with a # at the end.

Currently don't feel like exploring why the javascript is failing, but that shouldn't be too hard to figure out, as errors will appear in the inspect/console error log (hidden in most browsers) :) Since it is not consistent, it probably has something to do with the load of the page. If it happens around certain times, server load may be at the source of the problem, though in the end it's just bad coding if that affects the actual experience in the browser.

Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 » April 29th, 2020, 3:15 pm

Was importing new films this afternoon to my watch list when that particular one seems to crash the web server every time i try :

https://www.icheckmovies.com/search/mov ... =tt0295700

Ok that films seems to be terrible but ... anyway ;)

The ICm Linj do work

https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/wrong+turn/

and the IMDB page as well

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0295700/

Weird

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » April 29th, 2020, 5:06 pm

That's odd, I checked it in early 2017 so it's been on the site for some time. And clearly Mighty added it to TSZDT. Wonder what's wrong.

sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » April 30th, 2020, 2:36 am

Unable to check things right now regardless of browser.

edit: and clearing cookies was of no use either

sol can find me here

45MinuteZoom

Post by 45MinuteZoom » April 30th, 2020, 2:43 am

Yeah, I’m having the same issue right now.

Oh weird, I deleted the # at the end and it showed up checked.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » April 30th, 2020, 2:46 am

45MinuteZoom wrote:
April 30th, 2020, 2:43 am
Yeah, I’m having the same issue right now.

Oh weird, I deleted the # at the end and it showed up checked.
I've had that happen as well.

And finally the check took - so something's slowing things down in a way I'm not seeing on IMDb or this forum.

sol can find me here

Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 » April 30th, 2020, 6:18 am

Even adding to the watchlist took yesterday on 10% of the films 5 to 10 reload of the page...

It's the same problem at work : if a process is slower than usual, users will have to reload 10x or something that makes things worse hammering the servers.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » April 30th, 2020, 6:52 am

allison reported the issue on the official forum - no idea if anything was done (like a server reboot or something) but haven't had trouble since (for now)

sol can find me here

Minkin

Post by Minkin » April 30th, 2020, 6:37 pm

At this point, I'm impressed that anybody is staying with ICM after signing up. You just want to check the IMDB top 250, but the website never works.

More impressive though are the cheaters who check several thousand films - that must take a lot of reloads for their efforts.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » April 30th, 2020, 6:43 pm

Fair point. Every time I go onto icheckmovies.com, it takes ages to load. It's the only site I use that takes so long to load.

Then there's the huge difficulties in trying to add films to personal lists :(

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » April 30th, 2020, 6:48 pm

xianjiro wrote:
April 30th, 2020, 6:52 am
allison reported the issue on the official forum - no idea if anything was done (like a server reboot or something) but haven't had trouble since (for now)
I didn't realize the same thing was reported here. It seems like immediately after I reported it, it cleared up and I have had no problems since then. Hopefully, it's working for everyone else too.

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » April 30th, 2020, 7:09 pm

AdamH wrote:
April 30th, 2020, 6:43 pm
It's the only site I use that takes so long to load.
Ditto. :( :(

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » April 30th, 2020, 8:23 pm

Minkin wrote:
April 30th, 2020, 6:37 pm
At this point, I'm impressed that anybody is staying with ICM after signing up. You just want to check the IMDB top 250, but the website never works.

More impressive though are the cheaters who check several thousand films - that must take a lot of reloads for their efforts.
They use IMDb imports no doubt ;)

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » April 30th, 2020, 9:07 pm

allisoncm wrote:
April 30th, 2020, 6:48 pm
xianjiro wrote:
I didn't realize the same thing was reported here. It seems like immediately after I reported it, it cleared up and I have had no problems since then. Hopefully, it's working for everyone else too.
It's okay. I'm not sure if your post was acted on or not. I was trying to figure out how many others were seeing the problem before reporting it on the official forum. So if your post helped, that's a good thing! :thumbsup:

BTW, I've had no issues this morning.

What (local) time of day are you guys seeing slow load times and checks not sticking?

Also, is the problem with lists something other than the Whoops! message that not all the titles are in the database yet?

sol can find me here

onshy

Post by onshy » May 1st, 2020, 7:17 am

I do not know if this has been reported, but there is no way for me to access the info page of the Friends (1994) TV Series, the search will regardless point you to the Friends tab only:

https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/friends/

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 1st, 2020, 7:26 am

onshy wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 7:17 am
I do not know if this has been reported, but there is no way for me to access the info page of the Friends (1994) TV Series, the search will regardless point you to the Friends tab only:

That's quite a funny bug actually. :lol:

It works on the beta:
https://beta.icheckmovies.com/movies/71140-friends
ICM-profile

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 1st, 2020, 7:51 am

joachimt wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 7:26 am
onshy wrote:

It works on the beta:
and even more interesting, when you search iCM v2 for tt0108778 you also get your friends not Friends :huh:

sol can find me here

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 1st, 2020, 8:01 am

xianjiro wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 7:51 am
joachimt wrote:
onshy wrote:

It works on the beta:
and even more interesting, when you search iCM v2 for tt0108778 you also get your friends not Friends :huh:
No, that's not what you see. When you search on tt0108778, you see your friends who have checked Friends. Makes sense, right?

Every movie page has a friends-tab. The url of that is the url of the moviepage + "friends/". So the url of your friends that have checked Friends should be https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/friends/friends/. Unfortunately https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/friends/ already shows you exactly that.
ICM-profile

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » May 1st, 2020, 8:09 am

xianjiro wrote:
April 30th, 2020, 9:07 pm
allisoncm wrote:
xianjiro wrote:
It's okay. I'm not sure if your post was acted on or not. I was trying to figure out how many others were seeing the problem before reporting it on the official forum. So if your post helped, that's a good thing! :thumbsup:

What (local) time of day are you guys seeing slow load times and checks not sticking?

Also, is the problem with lists something other than the Whoops! message that not all the titles are in the database yet?
Every time I go on icheckmovies.com, I see slow load times. Doesn't seem to depend on the time of day. It's when I initially go on it that it's slow. It tends to be not so bad once I'm on the site.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 1st, 2020, 9:18 am

AdamH wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 8:09 am
xianjiro wrote:
allisoncm wrote:

Every time I go on icheckmovies.com, I see slow load times. Doesn't seem to depend on the time of day. It's when I initially go on it that it's slow. It tends to be not so bad once I'm on the site.
hmmm, wonder what others have to say. There are a number of reasons a website is always slow and it might have to do with something other iCM. :think: What about other websites?

sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 1st, 2020, 9:22 am

joachimt wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 8:01 am
xianjiro wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 7:51 am
joachimt wrote:

It works on the beta:
No, that's not what you see. When you search on tt0108778, you see your friends who have checked Friends. Makes sense, right?

Every movie page has a friends-tab. The url of that is the url of the moviepage + "friends/". So the url of your friends that have checked Friends should be https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/friends/friends/. Unfortunately https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/friends/ already shows you exactly that.
okay - didn't look THAT closely but I'm not sure it makes 'sense' in terms of not being able to get to the desired page on v2 :o and all the tabs just show you your friends who've checked Friends

:facepalm:

what a strange bug!

sol can find me here

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 1st, 2020, 9:23 am

xianjiro wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 9:18 am
AdamH wrote:
xianjiro wrote:

hmmm, wonder what others have to say. There are a number of reasons a website is always slow and it might have to do with something other iCM. :think: What about other websites?
iCM has been like Adam described for years. I have no problems with other sites.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » May 1st, 2020, 9:30 am

mightysparks wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 9:23 am
iCM has been like Adam described for years. I have no problems with other sites.
The performance has been overall terrible, but it's certainly worse at certain times, which can make it almost impossible to load a page.

My guess is that it is due to scheduled scripts running on the database (calculating rankings and such - everything that is not live data). These tasks tend to be quite resource-heavy, shutting out database request needed for rendering a page. Usually you plan these scripts to run at times when few people visit the site (ie nighttime), but it's harder when you have a global audience.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 1st, 2020, 9:33 am

I don't really notice any 'worse' times, but likely I'm sleeping when it's peak time for everyone else.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » May 1st, 2020, 9:42 am

xianjiro wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 9:18 am
AdamH wrote:
xianjiro wrote:

Only issue I've noticed is with icheckmovies and it's been an issue for a long time.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » May 1st, 2020, 9:45 am

Onderhond wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 9:30 am
mightysparks wrote:
The performance has been overall terrible, but it's certainly worse at certain times, which can make it almost impossible to load a page.

My guess is that it is due to scheduled scripts running on the database (calculating rankings and such - everything that is not live data). These tasks tend to be quite resource-heavy, shutting out database request needed for rendering a page. Usually you plan these scripts to run at times when few people visit the site (ie nighttime), but it's harder when you have a global audience.
Yes, you could certainly describe the performance as terrible. I really love the website so I'm not trying to criticise. Honestly, if I was to go on the site as a new user now then I don't think I'd stick around. If a website I go on as a new user consistently takes ages to load then I'd quit it very quickly. Other bugs like adding lists would put me off too. As a very long-term user, I will keep using the site but I have built up a lot of loyalty to the site and I can't imagine ever stopping using it. New users, on the other hand, are unlikely to tolerate the bugs like we do.

As Lauren said, this has consistently been an issue for years. Every site loads fine for me except for iCM. Sometimes, it puts me off going on it and I just don't bother waiting for it to load but I'm still a regular user overall. The list issue is a bigger one for me and reduces how often I use the site significantly.

I've had various issue in the past few years with the time it takes to check a film too. Sometimes I have to refresh a bunch of times before it will let me check but I haven't been watching many films recently/checking many so I've not noticed it recently.

sortile9io

Post by sortile9io » May 1st, 2020, 10:02 am

I've also had several issues during the last days while trying to check a film, expand a list or simply switch from one list's tab to another. At first I thought it was due to my latest Safari's update but it seems that's not the case. They typically happen after a page remains inactive for some time. There are some errors and warnings in the JavaScript console related to jQuery and a deprecated loader in a Google API. Could it be that iCM needs to update its code to start using the new loader?

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » May 1st, 2020, 3:57 pm

I just realised something. If I go on icheckmovies.com it takes ages to load but if I go on a list or a film directly then it works straight away.

For example, if I am on another site then try to access iCM,

https://www.icheckmovies.com/ takes ages

https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/trainspotting/ loads straight away

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 1st, 2020, 8:24 pm

AdamH wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 9:45 am
Onderhond wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 9:30 am
mightysparks wrote:

Yes, you could certainly describe the performance as terrible. I really love the website so I'm not trying to criticise. Honestly, if I was to go on the site as a new user now then I don't think I'd stick around. If a website I go on as a new user consistently takes ages to load then I'd quit it very quickly. Other bugs like adding lists would put me off too. As a very long-term user, I will keep using the site but I have built up a lot of loyalty to the site and I can't imagine ever stopping using it. New users, on the other hand, are unlikely to tolerate the bugs like we do.

As Lauren said, this has consistently been an issue for years. Every site loads fine for me except for iCM. Sometimes, it puts me off going on it and I just don't bother waiting for it to load but I'm still a regular user overall. The list issue is a bigger one for me and reduces how often I use the site significantly.

I've had various issue in the past few years with the time it takes to check a film too. Sometimes I have to refresh a bunch of times before it will let me check but I haven't been watching many films recently/checking many so I've not noticed it recently.
See, the reason I ask is I don't iCM as being slow until its slug-slow. Pages load just fine for me. Maybe not instantaneously, especially when I'm switching to a full list of over 1000 titles, so that's why I was trying to understand why it's slow for you three. Not sure what to suggest other than it's a difference in perception.

And again, to be clear, when we're talking about the "issue with lists', are we talking about the Whoops! message or something else?

sol can find me here

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » May 1st, 2020, 8:28 pm

Yes. When adding films by URL or adding a list URL, I get the "whoops" message which renders the feature virtually unusable.