Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Waiting for results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th)
Challenges: Experimental/Avant Garde, Benelux, Run the Director
Film of the Week: Daisan no kagemusha, March nominations (Feb 26th)

Your favorite official list

kongs_speech

Your favorite official list

Post by kongs_speech »

Of the ones that are theoretically possible (no lost films), which official list do you most wish to platinum? Alternately, maybe you're a true veteran and have already earned the platinum on your favorite list. Which was it?

My answer is easy. The Cahiers annual list. I'm quite far from completion (only 154/561 checks), but I will finish it in the next couple years. They have such fun, unique picks. Some of my casual film buff friends have the impression that Cahiers du Cinema is snobby. While I cannot read their publication because I don't know French, that is certainly not the vibe I get from their annual lists. They pick some way cool stuff that gets overlooked, and they're also not afraid to pick something really mainstream if they believe it's deserved. Split, for instance. French cinema is my favorite, and they have many exciting French films. Every list to do with France is a must-finish for me.
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

That's an easy one: 366 Weird Movies

Greatest list on the site for me by far. I will never care finishing some of the 1000-lists and Cahiers is one of them, even at only 560 entries! (Still sometimes feels like 1000. :lol: ) But it's cool, there are lists for each and everybody here :sweat:

[edit] It's funny tho, I finally saw Split this weekend and was (somehow pleasantly) surprised to find it on the Cahiers list :) Overall, it comes off snobby for me. .. yeah, that's exactly the word that comes to my mind. No offense. :thumbsup:
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

Some of my favorite official lists (i.e. the lists that I like working on, but not necessarily trying to get platinum) are:

LoveHKFilm
Most Favorite
Both Chinese lists
Kinema Junpo
Martial arts

But I haven't been working on any of them recently.
WalterNeff
Donator

Post by WalterNeff »

Hmmm, I'll have to think about this for a while.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Ok, to enhance my first posting: ICM Most Favorite is another list I want to finish one day, and additionally have a look at older versions of it. The swarm intelligence (=swarm taste?) works like a charm for our site. :wub:
And Tim Dirk's controversial stuff.

Of course, someday, 1001BYD, even if it's not the most sophisticated one. Then, TSPDT1000. But these are looong-time wishes which help me gaining film knowledge, not the lists I love as much as 366 + ICM Fav.
(Obviously following many of the Asian lists, Japan, Anime, China, parts of the Asian continent collectors list, Martial Arts & Samurai, sure.)

One day, even further away than TSP1000, probably Academy Award Foreign, I often like those, dunno.
Oh, every animation list. The Sci-fi ones, not much left for me.

And when I have finished everything, I work myself through TSPDT's 1,000 Noir Films .... mh, another project of mine.
:ph43r:
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

366 Weird Movies and Tim Dirk's list are right in my wheelhouse. I will enjoy finishing those, as well as the AV Club's New Cult Canon. I remember reading most of those articles when they were published, back when that site had integrity.
nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen »

tspd, 21st century, doubling, 366 weird, 500 cult, cahiers, criterion
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

nimimerkillinen wrote: ↑November 16th, 2020, 4:28 am tspd, 21st century, doubling, 366 weird, 500 cult, cahiers, criterion
Excellent picks. I'm actively working towards all of those except Canon, though I do seem to be seeing a lot of its films recently without trying. I definitely intend to complete the Criterion Collection and Eclipse.
Hunziker
Donator

Post by Hunziker »

Anthology, obviously. :whistling:

Second place would go to TSZDT I guess.
This is the voice of world control. πŸ€– - iCM
maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux »

I have a couple different takes on this question...

Lists I most want to complete to learn from:
- BFI Flare's Best LGBTQ+ Films
- S&S Greatest Documentaries
- Slate's Black Film Canon
- BFI 100 Docs (to a lesser extent)

Lists I most want to complete because they're fun:
- Marshal Julius' Action Movie A-Z
- Badmovies.org Best Bad Movies
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

maxwelldeux wrote: ↑November 16th, 2020, 4:57 am I have a couple different takes on this question...

The Badmovies list is quite a challenge. I seriously wish the IMDb bottom 100 was an official list. I'd try to finish it.
maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux »

kongs_speech wrote: ↑November 16th, 2020, 5:05 am
maxwelldeux wrote: ↑November 16th, 2020, 4:57 am I have a couple different takes on this question...

The Badmovies list is quite a challenge. I seriously wish the IMDb bottom 100 was an official list. I'd try to finish it.
I'm not "actively" working on it, but I'm delighted when those films pop up and try to squeeze one in every now and again. Those two on the "fun" categorization are what I gravitate towards when I don't want to be challenged, but still want to be "productive" (i.e., official checks).
beavis

Post by beavis »

Cahiers is an excellent choice!

The only list I actively pursued and got a platinum on at the moment is "Cahiers du CinΓ©ma's 100 Films for an Ideal Cinematheque". But I only went for it after I saw that it was in reach and all the remaining titles looked interesting to me. From all the "classics" lists this one seems to me to be the most balanced and most doable.

I do also keep an eye on the classics lists from Sight & Sound and TSPDT (first 1000) and I am getting at the point where I could want to complete them. But they are not lists I would call favorite. Rosenbaum was a favorite for quite a while, but what is remaining from it seems less interesting to me. I now do also favor the Cahiers annual list, next to hidden gem lists 500<400 and Doubling. I'm hoping to get a lot further on these three lists next year. Starting off with a 1000<400 challenge in January. And I want to check all American indie cinema from Cahiers... finally get to all those Francis Ford Coppola and Larry Clark films I have unwatched for years in my collection. But I fear the many Clint Eastwood films in that list... so it is another one I will not get to platinum I'm sure.

There are lists I will get to platinum on eventually. The Imdb lists accidentally of course...
BFI european horror seems fun to complete (11 to go)
BBC 21st century (3 to go that I wouldn't mind)
Maltin 20th century (3 to go that I look forward to)
All lists I haven't actively worked on, but they are solid for their topics and now I've almost completed them, they do catch my attention!

so favorite list and wanting to get a platinum on it seems not to be related for me
and Cahiers is cool!! (I'd call them idiosyncratic more than snobby, but It would take a lot before I would call someone or something snobby...)
zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

I would love to say the Australian list is my favourite but I really believe we could easily have a better list, or even a companion list to go with it. Still it is one I would love to get platinum on but since I have started doing a more chronological watch of Australian films it will be a while coming before I get Platinum there.

I think my favourites would have to be TSZDT and 500<400 but I also actively follow/work towards TSPDT (and 20th Century), Doubling the Canon, IMDb top 250, 366 Weird, iCM Most Checked and Most Favourited.
rnilsson19

Post by rnilsson19 »

Johnny Rosenbaum
Anthology
DtC
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

LoveHK and Paste Anime for me, but I've already completed them. The Martial Arts list is another one I actively worked one, still missing 1 film there (but it's really hard to find the original dub).

TSZDT and 366 Weird are nice too, though it's the kind of list where I feel I've already seen all the good stuff. Can't think of any other list I've actively worked on or would consider actively working on. ICM for me works better as a hive mind reference rather than an active recommendation engine.
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

zzzorf wrote: ↑November 16th, 2020, 10:29 am I would love to say the Australian list is my favourite but I really believe we could easily have a better list, or even a companion list to go with it.
Is there a particular list that you have in mind?
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

sci-fi
he or A. or Armo or any

currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists: GODARD,
Spoiler
ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, Yasujiro Ozu, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
/forum.icmforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

mjf314 wrote: ↑November 16th, 2020, 1:34 pm
zzzorf wrote: ↑November 16th, 2020, 10:29 am I would love to say the Australian list is my favourite but I really believe we could easily have a better list, or even a companion list to go with it.
Not particularly but I would be happy to look further into it. When we were asked about adding lists a few years back I did suggest adding in the AACTA Best Film award in as a second list since other countries have their movie of the year lists official.

Edit: here is my list for the AACTA Award for Best Film https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/aact ... lm/zzzorf/
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

zzzorf wrote: ↑November 16th, 2020, 8:27 pm
Not particularly but I would be happy to look further into it. When we were asked about adding lists a few years back I did suggest adding in the AACTA Best Film award in as a second list since other countries have their movie of the year lists official.

Edit: here is my list for the AACTA Award for Best Film https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/aact ... lm/zzzorf/
I would support the AACTA being official. A country as large and influential to film as Australia having more than one official list would not be a bad decision.
jeroeno

Post by jeroeno »

The Spaghetti Western Database's Essential Top 50 Films :guns: :cowbow:
Total Sci-Fi's The 100 Greatest Sci-Fi Movies
Marshall Julius's Action! The Action Movie A-Z
Quentin Tarantino's Coolest Movies of All Time
Galloway's Samurai Film Handbook & Companion
Jennifer Eiss's 500 Essential Cult Movies
Badmovies.org's Best B-Movies
Paste's The 100 Best Anime Movies of All Time
A.V. Club's The New Cult Canon
Wei Jun Zi's 100 Classic Martial Arts Films
TSPDT's 1,000 Noir Films
366 Weird Movies
Grindhouse Cinema Database's Top Grindhouse Classics

Obviously I already own platinum for those lists :ICM:

Now I want platinum for:
TSZDT's The 1,000 Greatest Horror Films (just one left :sweat: )
Tim Dirks's 100+ Most Controversial Films of All-Time (I need to watch Mignonnes asap to get my platinum back :shifty: )
LoveHKFilm.com's The Best Hong Kong Films Ever (didn't even know it was possible to get a platinum on this until this thread (D:) )
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

jeroeno wrote: ↑November 16th, 2020, 8:47 pm The Spaghetti Western Database's Essential Top 50 Films :guns: :cowbow:
Total Sci-Fi's The 100 Greatest Sci-Fi Movies
Marshall Julius's Action! The Action Movie A-Z
Quentin Tarantino's Coolest Movies of All Time
Galloway's Samurai Film Handbook & Companion
Jennifer Eiss's 500 Essential Cult Movies
Badmovies.org's Best B-Movies
Paste's The 100 Best Anime Movies of All Time
A.V. Club's The New Cult Canon
Wei Jun Zi's 100 Classic Martial Arts Films
TSPDT's 1,000 Noir Films
366 Weird Movies
Grindhouse Cinema Database's Top Grindhouse Classics

Obviously I already own platinum for those lists :ICM:

Now I want platinum for:
TSZDT's The 1,000 Greatest Horror Films (just one left :sweat: )
Tim Dirks's 100+ Most Controversial Films of All-Time (I need to watch Mignonnes asap to get my platinum back :shifty: )
LoveHKFilm.com's The Best Hong Kong Films Ever (didn't even know it was possible to get a platinum on this until this thread (D:) )
I will have a blast getting the anime platinum. Forgot about that one. Definitely something to work towards in 2021.

I hope you like Cuties. It's not at all what right-wing Americans have tried to paint it as. Very good, tasteful coming-of-age story.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

jeroeno wrote: ↑November 16th, 2020, 8:47 pm LoveHKFilm.com's The Best Hong Kong Films Ever (didn't even know it was possible to get a platinum on this until this thread (D:) )
Why not? HK films aren't that hard to come by :)
jeroeno wrote: ↑November 16th, 2020, 8:47 pm Wei Jun Zi's 100 Classic Martial Arts Films
I'm assuming you watched the English dub of The Bloody Fists?
zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

Ok so I went searching the net, and quite honestly I couldn't really find a good substitute :( . The closest I got was the 2018 public voted list from the Adelaide Film Festival " The Top 100 Australian Films #YOUMUSTSEE" https://adelaidefilmfestival.org/read-t ... oumustsee/ but that tends to lean a little more towards recent movies forgetting some of the classics the other list has.

Other than the AACTA Award the only other list I could think of adding would be stuff that has been added to Australian Screen Online, the Australian version of the US Film Registry https://aso.gov.au/ I am going to make iCM lists up of both the AFF list and the ASO selections to add to my AACTA list when I can for whatever purposes people want.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

zzzorf wrote: ↑November 17th, 2020, 12:10 am
Ok so I went searching the net, and quite honestly I couldn't really find a good substitute :( . The closest I got was the 2018 public voted list from the Adelaide Film Festival " The Top 100 Australian Films #YOUMUSTSEE" https://adelaidefilmfestival.org/read-t ... oumustsee/ but that tends to lean a little more towards recent movies forgetting some of the classics the other list has.

Other than the AACTA Award the only other list I could think of adding would be stuff that has been added to Australian Screen Online, the Australian version of the US Film Registry https://aso.gov.au/ I am going to make iCM lists up of both the AFF list and the ASO selections to add to my AACTA list when I can for whatever purposes people want.
I added the Adelaide FF list to icm a while back: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/adel ... genaprido/ :)
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

zzzorf wrote: ↑November 17th, 2020, 12:10 am Ok so I went searching the net, and quite honestly I couldn't really find a good substitute :( . The closest I got was the 2018 public voted list from the Adelaide Film Festival " The Top 100 Australian Films #YOUMUSTSEE" https://adelaidefilmfestival.org/read-t ... oumustsee/ but that tends to lean a little more towards recent movies forgetting some of the classics the other list has.
If the classics are already covered by the other list, then would this list be a good complement? Or is AACTA a better choice? Or should we wait for something better to come along?
zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

mjf314 wrote: ↑November 17th, 2020, 1:24 am
zzzorf wrote: ↑November 17th, 2020, 12:10 am Ok so I went searching the net, and quite honestly I couldn't really find a good substitute :( . The closest I got was the 2018 public voted list from the Adelaide Film Festival " The Top 100 Australian Films #YOUMUSTSEE" https://adelaidefilmfestival.org/read-t ... oumustsee/ but that tends to lean a little more towards recent movies forgetting some of the classics the other list has.
If the classics are already covered by the other list, then would this list be a good complement? Or is AACTA a better choice? Or should we wait for something better to come along?
Of the 100 movies in the list 34 are currently not official. I don't know what the overlap would be with the other list but my guess would be the majority (say at minimum 50) of the other 66 come from the already official so it seems a little repetitive.

The AACTA list has 52 movies, 17 of which aren't official and I think 7 others don't appear on that list. I think in that case the award would seem the better companion and fit better in with the way the other countries are set up with critics and awards lists. Pity though we can't add in nominees as well because that would make for a nice handy list but no other awards then the Oscars has that as an official list so no luck there.

I am just about to start work on the Screen Australia list.
jeroeno

Post by jeroeno »

Onderhond wrote: ↑November 16th, 2020, 8:55 pm
jeroeno wrote: ↑November 16th, 2020, 8:47 pm LoveHKFilm.com's The Best Hong Kong Films Ever (didn't even know it was possible to get a platinum on this until this thread (D:) )
Why not? HK films aren't that hard to come by :)
jeroeno wrote: ↑November 16th, 2020, 8:47 pm Wei Jun Zi's 100 Classic Martial Arts Films
I'm assuming you watched the English dub of The Bloody Fists?
Yes I watched the English dub for that one (and some others). Even cheesier like that anyway. :party:
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

Favorite lists: Roger Ebert Great Movies, TSPDT Top 1000, Arts & Faith Top 100 (although I preferred the previous version that allowed more than one film per director), Sight & Sound Greatest Films, and icm's Most Favorited. I am pretty confident that if a film appears on one of these lists I will find something to enjoy about the movie.

Lists that I am most interested in completing (that I didn't already mention): the National Film Registry, 1001MYMSBYD, Criterion Collection, The Story of Film, and BFI's 360 Classic Films.
zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

Ok well I started on the Screen Australia list yesterday and it will be a lot more difficult than originally thought. I have done the A's and have 21 movies on the list, this does not include however a fair chunk of the list that does not yet appear on iCM (or could not at least find on my phone at work). While I compared it to the US National Film Registry earlier it is in fact a little bit more thorough than that with certain TV episodes, news clips, tv ads etc also included. So while the list will have some great additions in it I don't know it is what we are looking for in an official list. Anyway I will still continue on with the project now I started.

Here is the Lost as it stands for anyone interested. https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/scre ... ia/zzzorf/
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Is it that nobody really cares about Ain't Nobody's Blues But My Own, or is it impossible to get higher than about 200/250 right now?
beavis

Post by beavis »

That list is so.... random
I would not be surprised if actually no one cares about it
zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

I am making progress with the Screen Australia list. It is definitely more extensive then any other Australian list around, I'm just not sure it is the type of list you are looking for. It is definitely more definitive but if you were to include everything you would be including TV ads, individual TV episodes, news reports, early home videos etc. As a film, short, documentary, mini-series list however it has a great range to what Australia has had to offer. Though it is for me to say but for all of you in charge. The links are above for the website and my list for you to browse but I won't take offence if nothing comes of it as I am going to use the list as a helpful nudge on which Australian films I should prioritise. Otherwise as I said before the AACTA is probably the best companion list for the already official list. Now I go start on the C's for Screen Australia