Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 16 released September 13th)
Polls: Romance (Results), 1951 (Results), 500<400 (Sep 23rd), 2008 (Oct 4th)
Challenges: Animation, Silent Era, Russia/USSR
Film of the Week: Durak, October nominations (Sep 25th)
World Cup S4: QF Schedule, Match QFB: India vs Greece (Sep 20th), Match QFC: Germany vs Italy (Oct 1st)

Should we adopt a list of kids/family movies?

Armoreska

Re: Should we adopt a list of kids/family movies?

Post by Armoreska » August 8th, 2020, 4:53 pm

mjf314 wrote:
August 6th, 2020, 3:58 pm
Armoreska: the bigger the better (I guess this means Common Sense)
Actually Scholastic or Pixar. But dont hold my opinion too high.
Adopting 2 lists or making a composite list with low voted movies excluded - even better.

opposed to Disney/Pixar heavy lists

Another idea is to adopt one list with actual films that kids will watch and another list with movies that kids would barely watch (BFI is it?)
and link all the unadopted lists as recommendations!
Last edited by Armoreska on August 8th, 2020, 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists (besides TV): ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » August 8th, 2020, 5:02 pm

Didn't we have some kind of go-round on this before? I remember quite a discussion and a bunch of us submitted lists.
I would certainly favor different lists for older and younger kids. A pair of ICM lists would be richer.

Then there are favorites of my autistic daughter way back when - things that pushed her buttons, like The swimmer....
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

Tasselfoot

Post by Tasselfoot » August 8th, 2020, 5:05 pm

mjf314 wrote:
August 8th, 2020, 3:41 pm
Tasselfoot wrote:
August 8th, 2020, 3:31 pm
As some other possible ideas that I haven't seen mentioned, that cover a different approach, what about the Teen Choice Awards for Best Drama / Best Comedy?
Should I count this as a vote, or are you just sharing the links?

It might be worth considering, but I don't think it would fill the role of a kids/family list, because not many of the films are good for younger children.
Sharing the links. No, not specifically good for kids. But voted on as the best movies by kids (teens). So, it's a different perspective. And it's not ALL blockbusters, although certainly some.

There's also the Nickelodeon Kid's Choice Awards for Favorite Movie, which is from a younger voting audience than Teen Choice. But I have a hard time thinking that 10 year olds voted Beverly Hills Cop 2 or Titanic as their favorite movie for a year. Overall, this list is more like the MTV Awards... not particularly good.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kids%27_C ... rite_Movie

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » August 8th, 2020, 5:14 pm

Experts - cant see anyone posted
Note, scholastic includes the Common Sense Media editor
ScholasticShow
Betsy Bozdech
Managing Editor, Common Sense Media
Bozdech has vast experience working in online parenting and entertainment content. After earning bachelor's and master's degrees from Northwestern University's Medill School of Journalism, she began her editorial career at BabyCenter.com in 1997 and later served as an editor at Reel.com, Emode.com, and AOL's Digital City before working as the site content manager at Netflix for three years. She joined Common Sense Media in 2006. She is the proud mother of a preschool-age daughter.

Nell Minow
"The Movie Mom," Beliefnet.com
Minow reviews movies and DVDs each week as "The Movie Mom" for Beliefnet and various radio stations across the country. She is the author of two books: The Movie Mom's Guide to Family Movies and 101 Must-See Movie Moments.

Ben Mankiewicz
host of Turner Classic Movies (TCM)
Mankiewicz debuted on TCM in September 2003 as only the second host in the network’s history. As a film critic, Mankiewicz has co-hosted the online movie review show What the Flick?! as well as the nationally syndicated TV series At the Movies. His film reviews appear regularly with The Huffington Post. Mankiewicz graduated from Tufts University and received his master's degree from Columbia University's Graduate School of Journalism.

Bill Hader
host of Essentials, Jr. on Turner Classic Movies (TCM)
As host of the popular Essentials, Jr. showcase, Hader presents films that are ideal for parents to introduce to kids. Hader is also a well-known actor and writer. He has starred on Saturday Night Live for the past seven years and is a producer of South Park. He has also turned in memorable performances in such films as Tropic Thunder, Night at the Museum 2, Superbad, and Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

Eric Beckerman
founder of the New York International Children's Film Festival.
Beckerman started the NYICFF in 1997 to promote intelligent, passionate, provocative cinematic works for ages 3-18 and to help define a more compelling film for kids. Since its launch, the event has grown to become the largest festival for children and teens in North America. Beckerman is also the president of GKIDS, a distributor of award-winning animated films for both adult and family audiences. The company has earned three Oscar nominations for Best Animated Feature in the past three years: The Secret of Kells (2010), A Cat in Paris (2012), and Chico & Rita (2012).
PixarShow
We asked a group of the renowned studio’s directors and story artists—the people behind WALL·E, Finding Nemo, Inside Out, Bao, La Luna, The Good Dinosaur, Purl, Cars 3, Toy Story 4 and more
CSShow
inhouse "expert reviewers" (possibly just Betsy Bozdech?) based on stuff like
Educational value
Messages and role models
Lack of Consumerism
User reviews
TGShow
Robbie Collin, Sarah Crompton, David Gritten, Marc Lee, Mark Monahan, Tim Robey, and Jacob Stolworthy
BFI - collab with Into Film
currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists (besides TV): ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » August 8th, 2020, 5:28 pm

Armoreska wrote:
August 8th, 2020, 4:53 pm
If we go with Pixar, do you prefer first 2 sections only, or all sections?

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » August 8th, 2020, 5:47 pm

mjf314 wrote:
August 8th, 2020, 5:28 pm
Armoreska wrote:
August 8th, 2020, 4:53 pm
If we go with Pixar, do you prefer first 2 sections only, or all sections?
The more the better stands!
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Chilton

Post by Chilton » August 8th, 2020, 10:54 pm

I thought The Guardian had released a list of "xx movies you have to see before you're xx" last year but I might be confusing it with Mark Kermode's small list of children's list and this addendum with titles provided by readers.

I found two older lists as well, which I will throw into the mix:
50 Films to Watch Before You're 11 from 2017 (doesn't look all too great actually)
The 50 Best Family Films from 2010, which is a little bit dated but looks like it might be worth perusing.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » August 8th, 2020, 11:21 pm

flavo5000 wrote:
August 6th, 2020, 10:31 pm
Hey, I just came across this thread. I'm a parent of two kids, a 3 year old and 7 year old and would definitely be interested in seeing a Best Kids Films list adopted. Having said that, I can state with 100% fact that the BFI list would be the most useless list to adopt if the intent is to represent best movies for kids. I definitely agree with several others on here that it's certainly more targeted to just teens or would be even better more of a Film Studies 101 type list (which the site already has a bunch of anyway). I'd actually say the most accurate title for it is Best Movies That Cultured Parents Wish Their Kids Would Watch But Definitely Won't.. Does it have the most number of actual quality films from around the globe? Sure. But yea, show me more than like five kids on this planet under 15 years old that would actually sit and watch Pather Panchali or Where Is The Friend's House? and I'll eat my hat, dear sir.

Honestly I do agree in general with the sentiments that most of the lists are too anglo and Disney-oriented in general. I actually think the 'first two-thirds' of the Pixar list may be the best one in terms of actually being well-balanced and having films that would actually entertain kids. Also I do think kids under 12 can enjoy silent comedies although honestly short films would work better than full length features. Like if I introduce my kids to Buster Keaton, it most likely won't be Steamboat Bill Jr or The General. It'll probably be One Week or The Haunted House maybe.

Also it makes me sad that the Telegraph list is the only one with The Witches (1990) on it. That was and still is a favorite kids movie of mine.
I guess I have weird kids... I've shown them The General and they really liked it. They've seen a bunch of Keaton and Chaplin shorts as well, but had no problem watching a feature length silent. My youngest (8) asks to see The Adventures of Prince Achmed once or twice a year.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » August 12th, 2020, 7:30 am

Just finished Zeman's A Journey to the Beginning of Time (Cesta do praveku (1955)) and have to say it's disappointing NOT to see this one any of the lists aimed at younger viewers. It's exactly the type of tone that I think works very well with younger audiences and it doesn't have the stupid anachronism found in similar Hollyweird productions - you know, with cavemen running around with dinosaurs and crap.

I get that having kids read a movie for 88 minutes is a stretch, but one of the beauties of discs and streaming is it's easy to stop, do something else, and if the kids are interested in seeing more they'll want to come back. It's episodic nature even makes that super easy. I absolutely wouldn't want to exclude something like this from an ideal list for young audiences.

(My only complaint is the lack of a young adventuress, but I'm sure no one who knows me and the film finds that surprising.)

The American version is what it is. I get why they chose to revoice the film and set it in an American context. Clearly that worked for a generation or two though I didn't feel like it was familiar even though I'd likely have been exposed to the syndicated version on Garfield Goose and Friends which I loved as a youngster and thought was the bees knees, really neato, and all that jazz.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » August 12th, 2020, 4:49 pm

xianjiro wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 7:30 am
Just finished Zeman's A Journey to the Beginning of Time (Cesta do praveku (1955)) and have to say it's disappointing NOT to see this one any of the lists aimed at younger viewers. It's exactly the type of tone that I think works very well with younger audiences and it doesn't have the stupid anachronism found in similar Hollyweird productions - you know, with cavemen running around with dinosaurs and crap.

I get that having kids read a movie for 88 minutes is a stretch, but one of the beauties of discs and streaming is it's easy to stop, do something else, and if the kids are interested in seeing more they'll want to come back. It's episodic nature even makes that super easy. I absolutely wouldn't want to exclude something like this from an ideal list for young audiences.

(My only complaint is the lack of a young adventuress, but I'm sure no one who knows me and the film finds that surprising.)

The American version is what it is. I get why they chose to revoice the film and set it in an American context. Clearly that worked for a generation or two though I didn't feel like it was familiar even though I'd likely have been exposed to the syndicated version on Garfield Goose and Friends which I loved as a youngster and thought was the bees knees, really neato, and all that jazz.
I have Zeman's Baron Munchhausen on blu-ray, I love it! But my kids just didn't seem to care for it at all. They've watched it once (the older kid reading the subtitles out loud to the younger) and that was it. They've rejected it whenever I've suggested it as something to watch.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » August 12th, 2020, 5:14 pm

Knaldskalle wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 4:49 pm
xianjiro wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 7:30 am

I have Zeman's Baron Munchhausen on blu-ray, I love it! But my kids just didn't seem to care for it at all. They've watched it once (the older kid reading the subtitles out loud to the younger) and that was it. They've rejected it whenever I've suggested it as something to watch.
How about Zeman's Ukradená vzducholod?
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » August 12th, 2020, 7:33 pm

I showed my kids a Gamera movie from the new box set this weekend and they seemed to enjoy it pretty well.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » August 12th, 2020, 7:47 pm

Knaldskalle wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 4:49 pm
That doesn't come as a surprise - I would say it is my least favorite of the three in the recent Criterion collection. I also think Invention for Destruction would be boring for most kids. I didn't find the story (Invention) all that compelling but the design and implementation were very intriguing, but that's a very adult response. Baron is also more interesting (to me) for it's design and implementation.

No idea how they would react to Journey to... but suspect kids that are really into dinosaurs would be more receptive and boys/tomboys more than girls into princesses. But I also know readers that really don't enjoy subtitles, so ... training preteens who like to read to do subs? That's maybe where Journey could work? :shrug:

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » August 12th, 2020, 7:50 pm

3eyes wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 5:14 pm
How about Zeman's Ukradená vzducholod?
Haven't seen it yet - zero official lists, so that shouldn't be a total surprise :lol:

sol can find me here

dirty_score

Post by dirty_score » August 30th, 2020, 1:05 pm

I left some sports lists in the other thread but I want to share this one here, might be useful for someone:

52 Kid-Friendly Best Sports Movies: http://www.kids-sports-activities.com/b ... ovies.html

Divided by classification: G, PG and PG-13

Torgo

Post by Torgo » August 30th, 2020, 3:48 pm

To answer the question in this thread's subject:
Why, yes, of course!

I like the Pixar list the most. Subtract the rated R titles (for obvious reasons) and we're good to go.
(Funny how there are not enough Pixar titles on the list :))

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » August 31st, 2020, 7:44 am

dirty_score wrote:
August 30th, 2020, 1:05 pm
I left some sports lists in the other thread but I want to share this one here, might be useful for someone:

52 Kid-Friendly Best Sports Movies: http://www.kids-sports-activities.com/b ... ovies.html

Added to icm: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/52+k ... genaprido/

More unofficial films on that list than I had expected. Plus, a lot of golf :headscratch:

dirty_score

Post by dirty_score » August 31st, 2020, 9:22 am

Fergenaprido wrote:
August 31st, 2020, 7:44 am
dirty_score wrote:

More unofficial films on that list than I had expected. Plus, a lot of golf :headscratch:
Golf is good to practice social distancing :thumbsup:

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » August 31st, 2020, 10:27 am

dirty_score wrote:
August 31st, 2020, 9:22 am
Fergenaprido wrote:
dirty_score wrote:

Sure, but in the context of this list? I just don't see golf as a sport of much interest to kids.

dirty_score

Post by dirty_score » August 31st, 2020, 11:01 am

Fergenaprido wrote:
August 31st, 2020, 10:27 am
dirty_score wrote:
August 31st, 2020, 9:22 am
Fergenaprido wrote:

Sure, but in the context of this list? I just don't see golf as a sport of much interest to kids.
I don't see why not. I'm not a big fan of the sport myself and I think it's sometimes stereotyped as "that sport for retired rich old men". We're talking the long game sure, but isn't Mini Golf courses a thing, in United States at least, for family day out/teens go on a date?

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » September 2nd, 2020, 5:19 am

All I know is nothing got me out of the room faster than golf on the TV when I was kid.

sol can find me here