Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 8 released June 27th)
Polls: 2010s (Results), 1974 (Jun 28th), 2019 awards (Jul 11th)
Challenges: Canada, Low Rated, Director
Film of the Week: Il ferroviere, August nominations (Jul 31st)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2D: Estonia vs Spain (Jul 5th), Match 2E: Georgia vs Ukraine (Jul 16th)

TSPDT films you wouldn't watch

Ebbywebby

TSPDT films you wouldn't watch

Post by Ebbywebby » June 27th, 2020, 8:41 pm

Are there any for you, or does completism rule the day?

Me, I really can't imagine ever sitting through:

An Affair to Remember 1957
Diary 1983
El Dorado 1967
Fort Apache 1948
Hatari! 1962
The Hour of the Furnaces 1968
Point Break 1991 (the overcompensating blast of female-directed films in the list's latest edition...ehhh, come on)
The Lusty Men 1952
They Were Expendable 1945
Tie Xi Qu: West of the Tracks 2002
Written on the Wind 1956 (I tried this a few months ago and found it thoroughly unbearable)

This question obviously is not aimed at the 26 users with Platinum status. :) I'm currently at 866/1001.

zuma
Donator

Post by zuma » June 27th, 2020, 9:47 pm

While they are super long, these two were very captivating IMO;

Diary 1983
Tie Xi Qu: West of the Tracks 2002

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » June 27th, 2020, 10:14 pm

Nah, don't really have a problem with any of them, though there are ones I look forward to more than others.

I'm currently at 924/1000.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » June 27th, 2020, 10:23 pm

Well, Empire was always the one where i drew line, back when it was on the list, although not sure anyone really watched that one.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » June 27th, 2020, 10:23 pm

I'm at 909 - could theoretically finish it off this year, but not really trying - perhaps in 2021. As is probably true for many people, a lot of what's left are very long films, and/or films that just aren't in any of my primary interests - in my case this means there are lots of long documentaries in particular. The only film on the list that I"m really dreading in any way is Chelsea Girls, having not really liked any Warhol film I've seen so far that much.

prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson » June 27th, 2020, 10:38 pm

Aw, Hour of the Furnaces and West of the Tracks are the two best movies I've seen so far this year.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » June 28th, 2020, 12:45 am

brokenface wrote:
June 27th, 2020, 10:23 pm
Well, Empire was always the one where i drew line, back when it was on the list, although not sure anyone really watched that one.
Same for me, otherwise nothing is off limits. I’ve found so many favourites on that list that I originally turned my nose up at, but a 24 hour film of a building is just not something I really want to sit through even though I find it an interesting experiment. Maybe one day I would watch it an hour at a time or something but for now I’m not interested.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

sol
Donator

Post by sol » June 28th, 2020, 3:48 am

Hopefully everybody who is reading this thread has listened to our podcast episode where we discussed exactly this. :D
St. Gloede wrote:
June 2nd, 2020, 4:32 pm
New episode: "Unwatched Gems or Carefully Avoided Trash?"

Listen here:
Spotify - https://open.spotify.com/show/3GhRXnb6OzOnfae2Uvkvus
Sounder - https://talkingimages.sounder.fm/show/talking-images
Empire definitely came up in discussion and all of us were pretty happy that we had never subjected ourselves to it.

Regarding the other films I mentioned in the podcast, I have since seen Seven Samurai and I guess liked it as much as I expected to given my extreme disinterest in samurai movies. A couple of TSPDT 1000 (or former top 1000) films that I still haven't seen since the podcast are Amour (don't want to watch a man caring for a dying woman) and The Act of Killing (celebrating killing).

Regarding the films that you mentioned, Ebby, I thought that Hatari! and El Dorado were really rather decent. Point Break was another film that I had avoided for years, but it's very decent too. I have also seen An Affair to Remember, but I couldn't ever imagine rewatching it.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson » June 28th, 2020, 5:06 am

Personally I would love to see Empire, preferably in one of those all-night outdoor screenings, with maybe an eighth of flower.

Reflect

Post by Reflect » June 28th, 2020, 5:13 am

Really don't see myself ever sitting down to watch Shoah.

Never really been hellbent on completion with most film lists anyway (will I be sentenced to death for that on here :lol: ). This is a great one, though.

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » June 28th, 2020, 5:41 am

Knaldskalle wrote:
June 27th, 2020, 10:14 pm
Nah, don't really have a problem with any of them, though there are ones I look forward to more than others.

erde

Post by erde » June 28th, 2020, 11:29 am

nimimerkillinen wrote:
June 28th, 2020, 5:41 am
Knaldskalle wrote:
June 27th, 2020, 10:14 pm
Me too. I'm 68 films away from completion, and Pink Flamingos is probably the only one that I'm dreading a bit, and would not probably watch it if it wasn't on the list. As a whole I'm really happy abut the list and have found a lot of new favourites by going through it during this year.
Image Image

Tasselfoot

Post by Tasselfoot » June 28th, 2020, 12:29 pm

West of the Tracks is top 2 worst things I've ever watched. But I have 40 dislikes out of 920 checks from the list...

Of remaining, least looking forward to Out 1.

AB537

Post by AB537 » June 28th, 2020, 3:11 pm

I'm at 812. I do have completist instincts, and based on the current composition of the list availability rather than aversion to specific films is probably my main obstacle. That being said, some remaining entries would probably be easier to get through than others: for example, I have minimal interest in experimental/avant-garde films (e.g. Wavelength, Dog Star Man), and don't gravitate as much towards silents or documentaries. A bunch of the ones I have left are also quite long, e.g. Tie Xi Qu, Satantango, Out 1. I'm kind of hoping though that Female Trouble drops off the list before I'd need to watch it to finish the whole thing. Of the ones I've seen, there were a bunch that weren't my thing, but only a very small number that I intensely disliked: The Idiots and Pink Flamingos jump to mind.

As far as the ones Ebbywebby mentioned are concerned, I did enjoy Fort Apache and Hatari quite a bit, and have seen all but Tie Xi Qu and Hour of the Furnaces.

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » June 28th, 2020, 4:20 pm

I'm at 117/1001. Most movies don't interest me.

beavis

Post by beavis » June 28th, 2020, 7:50 pm

I'm at 945/1000 and think it is a very good list, obviously I should say, even if I don't really use it much. There is not much on there that I wouldn't EVER want to see, but there is some work on there by John Ford, Clint Eastwood and Leni Riefenstahl that I am not looking forward to. Rightwing conservative imperialistic and/or macho stuff is not for me.

8/14 unseen Ford's with misogynistic the Quiet Man also the film on most ICM-lists that I haven't seen yet
3/4 unseen Eastwood's (only Unforgiven seen)
2/3 unseen Riefenstahl, the sport movies, anything sportive is another strike against ;)

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » June 28th, 2020, 9:13 pm

I have 3 to go on the main TSPDT list, but I am not very motivated to see those that remain.

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » June 28th, 2020, 10:51 pm

allisoncm wrote:
June 28th, 2020, 9:13 pm
I have 3 to go on the main TSPDT list, but I am not very motivated to see those that remain.
You made me go look and see which three you missed. I'd certainly try "Iracema - Uma Transa Amazônica"....

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » June 29th, 2020, 9:34 am

I only have Diary left, which I'm not avoiding, but also have very little interest in as I have no reference point for the style, not really heard much positive and of course it is 6+ hours long. I finally see some praise for it here so that is certainly some encouragement.

The only film I even actively avoided from the list is Empire, which (as I argue in the podcast Sol linked to above) is not even intended to be a film. It is an installation piece, intended to be shown at Warhol parties, and later museums, etc. It is not a "film" in the sense it was expected to be shown on tv, at the cinema or to even be consumed as a consecutive work - so it is just odd to have it there (it is currently high on the extended list). To actually get the "correct" experience I should throw a party, project it and occasionally look at it, talk about it, etc. which I'm not completely against - but a lot of additional effort. :lol:

jal90

Post by jal90 » June 29th, 2020, 12:43 pm

On the main list there's nothing that I won't watch. On the top2000 expanded list however there's Empire, which I have really no interest in watching in the entirety, Eniaios, which I have no means or will to get into, and Cannibal Holocaust, a movie I had at some point at my watchlist but it's the kind of stuff I'd put my whole 16,000 title watchlist before even touching it.
beavis wrote:
June 28th, 2020, 7:50 pm
I'm at 945/1000 and think it is a very good list, obviously I should say, even if I don't really use it much. There is not much on there that I wouldn't EVER want to see, but there is some work on there by John Ford, Clint Eastwood and Leni Riefenstahl that I am not looking forward to. Rightwing conservative imperialistic and/or macho stuff is not for me.

8/14 unseen Ford's with misogynistic the Quiet Man also the film on most ICM-lists that I haven't seen yet
3/4 unseen Eastwood's (only Unforgiven seen)
2/3 unseen Riefenstahl, the sport movies, anything sportive is another strike against ;)
I wouldn't describe John Ford as macho when the guy is quite sentimental through his whole body of work. Other directors are a much better fit for this label. Even The quiet man with all its troubling content reads mostly as good-willed nostalgia. I enjoyed it and I certainly expected to dislike what I'd find. In the movie it turned out to not be that much of an issue.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » June 29th, 2020, 1:30 pm

St. Gloede wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 9:34 am
The only film I even actively avoided from the list is Empire, which (as I argue in the podcast Sol linked to above) is not even intended to be a film. It is an installation piece, intended to be shown at Warhol parties, and later museums, etc. It is not a "film" in the sense it was expected to be shown on tv, at the cinema or to even be consumed as a consecutive work - so it is just odd to have it there (it is currently high on the extended list). To actually get the "correct" experience I should throw a party, project it and occasionally look at it, talk about it, etc. which I'm not completely against - but a lot of additional effort. :lol:
I don't know what Warhol's intention was, but I agree, I think looking at it occasionally is the correct way to experience it. If you look at it for 15 seconds as you walk past it in a museum or party, I think that's good enough to say that you've experienced it.

I don't have any desire to watch the whole thing, but if I ever see it in a museum, I'll be sure to look at it as I walk past. I'm not sure if I would check it.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » June 29th, 2020, 3:30 pm

mjf314 wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 1:30 pm
St. Gloede wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 9:34 am
I don't know what Warhol's intention was, but I agree, I think looking at it occasionally is the correct way to experience it. If you look at it for 15 seconds as you walk past it in a museum or party, I think that's good enough to say that you've experienced it.

I don't have any desire to watch the whole thing, but if I ever see it in a museum, I'll be sure to look at it as I walk past. I'm not sure if I would check it.
Exactly, that's the thing, you would have gotten "the experience" but you wouldn't have seen it as a film.