Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Favorite Movies (Results), 1945 (Results), 1929 awards (Apr 4th), South Asia (Apr 25th), Doubling the Canon (Ratings Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Nordic, 1950s
Film of the Week: The Music of Chance, May nominations (May 1st)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1F: Brazil vs Greece vs Japan vs Poland (Apr 5th), 1G: Germany vs Pakistan vs Ukraine vs USA (Apr 22nd)

Question regarding Doubling the Canon

fori

Re: Question regarding Doubling the Canon

Post by fori » March 5th, 2020, 9:12 pm

xianjiro wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 8:55 pm
BTW, wasn't List Promoter's debut on this forum "Who's more overrated, Fellini or Bergman?"
Actually I think it was “who’s the most overrated director ever” and the poll options were Fellini and Bergman.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » March 5th, 2020, 9:13 pm

xianjiro wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 8:55 pm
BTW, wasn't List Promoter's debut on this forum "Who's more overrated, Fellini or Bergman?"
I remember that! One of the foremost troll moments in this forum's history.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » March 5th, 2020, 9:16 pm

I just see him "call" people out constantly ever since he stopped talking about his serious personal issues. First calling out rbg for seeing a lot of checked films, for no fucking reason. I've had it when he said my taste is too white which are fighting words. My fav albums list of the year so far contains field recordings of forests and villages in various asian countries, traditional portuguese music, edm from south america and africa, and andean traditional music, but yea such white taste. It's probably because I don't fetishize hip hop or a country's films or something like that.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » March 5th, 2020, 9:17 pm

List Promoter is very similar to a lot of trolls on IMDb. fori, whatever else he might be, isn't.

fori

Post by fori » March 5th, 2020, 9:20 pm

Someone should tell pretentious hipster to cool off a bit and stop imagining why I might say certain things. I’m not trying to call out anyone.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » March 6th, 2020, 12:45 am

I don't know what's going on in this thread but y'all should stop talking past each other. Fori can be a bit abrasive at times but I've never seen anything that could reasonably be called a troll. List Promoter, who is not fori, obviously likes to push buttons, but I actually do think their opinions are (somewhat) sincere even if they're exaggerated and make a lot of unfounded assumptions at times, I can certainly see why some would call it trolling, though I don't know if riling people up is the primary purpose or just a bonus side effect.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » March 6th, 2020, 12:51 am

beavis wrote:
March 3rd, 2020, 12:11 pm
Also for people against adoption of the next 1000, you should have spoken up louder during the polls about which lists you would like to see official, ever since the results of those polls it has been known there was a majority in favor of adopting that list
I don't think this is fair. They spoke plenty loudly, we knew there were people against it. The reality is that sometimes things you're against happen. A lot of people thought it should be official, some didn't. It's not that they weren't heard or that they were ignored, simply that there was stronger support for adoption.

This happens all the time, no one will be happy with every single official list nor have everything they wish were official become official.

As for DtC I think there's a fair argument that it shouldn't be official and/or has outlived it's usefulness. I don't agree with it and I don't think it has the traction to convince us to unadopt it, but I think it's a fair question to ask.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 6th, 2020, 4:26 am

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
March 6th, 2020, 12:51 am
The reality is that sometimes things you're against happen.
Tell me about it!!!Show

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Harco
Donator

Post by Harco » March 7th, 2020, 8:02 am

I think I’ve said this before but I think it’s weird that there’s something like DtC that wants to be an extension of TSPDT while TSPDT already offers a 1001-2000. Why overrule the “official” 1001-2000?

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » March 7th, 2020, 9:05 am

Onderhond wrote:
March 4th, 2020, 1:30 pm
fori wrote:
March 4th, 2020, 12:57 pm
When did I earn this persistent reputation as a troll? I can assure you I’m not trolling when I say that doubling the canon should not be an official list.
Not sure where the reputation comes from, put posts like this one definitely don't help:
viewtopic.php?p=625779#p625779
Also not the first time he has done this either. Posted a prank list of films for inclusion in ICMFF.

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » March 7th, 2020, 9:20 am

Harco wrote:
March 7th, 2020, 8:02 am
I think I’ve said this before but I think it’s weird that there’s something like DtC that wants to be an extension of TSPDT while TSPDT already offers a 1001-2000. Why overrule the “official” 1001-2000?
isnt 1001-2000 much more recent than DtC and its by different people thus very different and interesting list by nature

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » March 7th, 2020, 9:29 am

OldAle1 wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 9:17 pm
List Promoter is very similar to a lot of trolls on IMDb. fori, whatever else he might be, isn't.
List Promoter is a troll for sure, and yes the list promoter type troll is very familiar from IMDb. The "false reasonable thread starter" who starts a contentious thread with a half-baked anchor and sits back in glee as the negativity piles up. Also very much looks like a second account. I remember there were trolls on IMDb who had tens of fake personas.

Although very different in their way trolls like BadgerBoy, SnowmanMcKnives and ThePianoPlayerWoreBlack were all trying to share their pain around, as if justice consisted in making sure that everyone they encountered felt as anguished as they did. Fori is a troubled personality on the brink of that status and has a history of deliberately attempting to disrupt this forum's projects. That type of troll is all the more dangerous, because their dark mission is subconscious. The conscious troll always tends to burn themselves out and have, "I've gone too far" moments. Every time Fori goes further he feels "more justice".

fori

Post by fori » March 7th, 2020, 1:12 pm

Enough of the psychoanalysis please. What is it with certain people in this forum and thinking that they can diagnose and classify me based on an extremely limited amount of direct interaction? I’m getting to the point where I’m sick and tired of these arguments too. The two examples you cite of “derailing” projects are 2 years apart and come nowhere near the threshold of “dangerous”. Yeah, it’s silly to post a list of movies that I have total disdain for as my favourite films for a forum poll, but can that really be called derailment? If it had been posted by someone who just turned up on the forum, nobody would bat an eyelid, many might even be happy that the vote boosts favourites of theirs. Then what’s the problem?

Angel Glez

Post by Angel Glez » March 7th, 2020, 8:07 pm

beavis wrote:
March 3rd, 2020, 9:26 am
Angel has spoken out that for this year's update, the 1001-2000 is not counted as official yet, so they are aloud to cross over into DtC
I don't think this is what most users / participants in DtC want, but he also said there is a lot going on personally for him at the moment, so it is understandable that he might not want the extra hassle of looking into this...
That's right and right.
beavis wrote:
March 3rd, 2020, 12:11 pm
Angel have said in the past he would very much like the additional 1000 to be official on ICM, and he would then exclude those titles for Doubling. He liked that it would shake up Doubling somewhat... not that people would suggest to make Doubling lose official status.
And right.

That said, the next edition seems like a good time to redesign this old exercise (if necessary): Unofficialization, Name, Format, Rules*...

*For example the Adjustment for Popularity is rather unfair and nobody complains about it. :P

albajos

Post by albajos » March 7th, 2020, 8:22 pm

As the moderators are going to change the name of most the list now anyway, this seem like a good time as any.

Don't think anyone will argue with Beyond the Canon

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » March 7th, 2020, 9:02 pm

I don't like Beyond the Canon. "Expanding the Canon" does a much better job of maintaining the connotations of the current title.

WalterNeff
Donator

Post by WalterNeff » March 7th, 2020, 11:47 pm

"Increasing the Canon by Approximately 50%"

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » March 8th, 2020, 2:54 pm

albajos wrote:
March 7th, 2020, 8:22 pm
As the moderators are going to change the name of most the list now anyway, this seem like a good time as any.
No. This is completely unrelated to a possible name change of DtC. The name changes of the lists on iCM are made to have a (as much as possible) consistent way of naming the lists, based on the name of the source and the title of the source list. As long as Angel calls the list "Doubling the Canon" the name on iCM will be the same.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"