Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Favorite Movies (Results), 1945 (Results), 1929 awards (Apr 4th), South Asia (Apr 25th), Doubling the Canon (Ratings Apr 30th)
Challenges: Crime, Directed by Women, Indian Subcontinent
Film of the Week: The Music of Chance, May nominations (May 1st)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1F: Brazil vs Greece vs Japan vs Poland (Apr 5th), 1G: Germany vs Pakistan vs Ukraine vs USA (Apr 22nd)

How do you deal with Sequels that are official checks?

blueboybob
Donator

How do you deal with Sequels that are official checks?

Post by blueboybob » February 12th, 2020, 3:07 pm

IE lets say "This Movie 3" is on an official list but "This Movie" and "This Movie 2" are not on any lists.

Would you watch the Sequel without having seen the previous films?

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » February 12th, 2020, 3:29 pm

If ever I've seen a question that separates the check-whores from everybody else, this is it.

I can't think of any time I've ever watched a sequel without watching the earlier films - leaving aside series where the films aren't part of any continuity like James Bond - except for the time I saw the second Harry Potter film in the theater, because friends wanted to, before I'd seen the first or read the books. So my answer - assuming we are not talking about Bond-like series - is a definite "no".

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 12th, 2020, 3:34 pm

I’ve accidentally watched sequels I didn’t know were sequels. I’d be willing to watch an unrelated sequel of a film if I was interested in it (eg, the aforementioned James Bond, or Red/White/Blue). Otherwise probably not. I am currently in this debate with myself over Paddington 2 though because it’s on a list I want to finish and everyone raves about it but I’ve never heard a thing about the first Paddington and wtf even is Paddington and does the first film even matter? I haven’t answered that one yet.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » February 12th, 2020, 3:37 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 3:29 pm
If ever I've seen a question that separates the check-whores from everybody else, this is it.

This :thumbsup: :lol:

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » February 12th, 2020, 3:38 pm

mightysparks wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 3:34 pm
I’ve accidentally watched sequels I didn’t know were sequels. I’d be willing to watch an unrelated sequel of a film if I was interested in it (eg, the aforementioned James Bond, or Red/White/Blue). Otherwise probably not. I am currently in this debate with myself over Paddington 2 though because it’s on a list I want to finish and everyone raves about it but I’ve never heard a thing about the first Paddington and wtf even is Paddington and does the first film even matter? I haven’t answered that one yet.
Yeah the Paddington films are a good test here. Haven't seen them myself, and yeah the second one gets a lot of raves but so do 354654654 other films that I haven't seen. My impression from what little I know is that it is a direct sequel so I'd have to see the first one first. But really I don't imagine I'll ever see either.

zuma
Donator

Post by zuma » February 12th, 2020, 3:48 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 3:29 pm

I can't think of any time I've ever watched a sequel without watching the earlier films - leaving aside series where the films aren't part of any continuity like James Bond - except for the time I saw the second Harry Potter film in the theater, because friends wanted to, before I'd seen the first or read the books. So my answer - assuming we are not talking about Bond-like series - is a definite "no".
Exactly this. I even suffered through all the episodes of the Evangelion Anime series so I could suffer through the Neon Genesis Evangelion film.

EDIT: Paddington. Both were enjoyable and there are numerous callbacks to the first film in the second.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » February 12th, 2020, 3:54 pm

zuma wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 3:48 pm

Exactly this. I even suffered through all the episodes of the Evangelion Anime series so I could suffer through the Neon Genesis Evangelion film.

EDIT: Paddington. Both were enjoyable and there are numerous callbacks to the first film in the second.
Heh. Evangelion must be one of the most polarizing things out there. I remember back in IMDb days two of the most ardent anime- and Japanese-film guys, one of whom thought it was the greatest thing ever and the other maybe the worst. I probably shared the first guy's taste slightly more than the second and I'm a little bummed that I never watched it while I was still in contact with either of them. Still haven't watched it, hard for me to make myself watch a TV series, particularly one with a cohesive storyline.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » February 12th, 2020, 3:55 pm

I'm not a check whore, but I generally don't mind doing so, unless it's singular stories split up because of length.
So many horror series, HK martial arts/comedy stuff you can just watch regardless of prequels/sequels. Stories don't really matter for these films and they're so simple it doesn't take you more than 5 minutes to be up to speed.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » February 12th, 2020, 4:07 pm

blueboybob wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 3:07 pm
IE lets say "This Movie 3" is on an official list but "This Movie" and "This Movie 2" are not on any lists.

Most likely wouldn't watch a sequel without. If the preceding movies look good then I will watch them first.
But I work on a list because it interests me, not on "official lists".
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » February 12th, 2020, 4:23 pm

Movie that made me ask this -- https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/qia ... +qian+ren/

And I take offense to check whore. My ratio right now 8,342 to 25,835 or 3 to 1

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » February 12th, 2020, 4:40 pm

Onderhond wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 3:55 pm
I'm not a check whore, but I generally don't mind doing so, unless it's singular stories split up because of length.
So many horror series, HK martial arts/comedy stuff you can just watch regardless of prequels/sequels. Stories don't really matter for these films and they're so simple it doesn't take you more than 5 minutes to be up to speed.
Well put and my personal response is "depends" and "what I can get a hold of". So, for example, I've watched a number of the official checks for Friday the 13th series, but I certainly don't care enough about it to go through each and every last one. Superman III (not official but on IMDb's Bottom 100) is on disc with S-IV so I'll go ahead and watch both. So, in some ways this swings both ways. Some series with official checks early will get watched because there is something that I'm interested in and I can get/stream.

But seriously, what does "Halloween III: Season of the Witch" contribute to anything including the subsequent "reboots"?

It would also be nice if we could be a little less judgy - judgement whores - users can watch whatever the F they want to watch and that's cool. iCM is a big tent that can even accommodate crazy people who religiously track down every Brakhage short.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » February 12th, 2020, 4:48 pm

blueboybob wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 4:23 pm
Movie that made me ask this -- https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/qia ... +qian+ren/

At this point, if I could get the referenced film and wasn't able to get 1 & 2, I'd just watch 3 and make a decision after that. I know I've done this with at least one other Chinese franchise - I think 2 was the only thing available stateside and I watched it. Pretty sure it didn't excite me near enough to go to great pains to track down 1.

And while not entirely related, I stumbled into the Patrick O'Brian Aubrey–Maturin series by finding a large print version of the fifth book in the series. I liked it so much that I went back and read the nautical books he wrote before that including two that weren't part of the series. So sometimes reading/watching something later in the series sparks an interest and I track down the rest - if not, I move on to find something I am interested in.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » February 12th, 2020, 4:50 pm

blueboybob wrote:

Not trying to offend, any more than you are probably bragging about the gigantic number of checks you have. So what? My point is that IF somebody doesn't watch the first film(s) in a series SOLELY because they are not official checks, to my mind that's being an official check whore. There are certainly other reasons to only watch the official film - maybe it's the only one that's available, or maybe, well, any of the other reasons people have cited here. But I don't see how ignoring anything that isn't official isn't essentially being obsessed with official checks over everything else - whether "whoring" is an appropriate term or not. And it's totally fine if people want to do that, obviously the majority of people here are focused on it to one extent or other, including me.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » February 12th, 2020, 5:10 pm

blueboybob wrote:
You have to ask yourself, why would I actually wanna watch that?
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » February 12th, 2020, 5:16 pm

Armoreska wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 5:10 pm
blueboybob wrote:
You have to ask yourself, why would I actually wanna watch that?
Leaving out the sequel element for a moment, I'd think about watching it. I like rom-coms more than most guys, and in particular I think the Chinese, Koreans and Japanese do them a lot better than Americans or Europeans these days. But it still doesn't look good enough to make an effort to see and I've got plenty of other choices for Valentine's Day if I go that route. Would probably have a see a convincing review before I'd make it any kind of priority.

albajos

Post by albajos » February 12th, 2020, 7:23 pm

I saw Halloween III before Halloween II but as you know they don't have anything to do with each other plotwise

I always see evrything in order. The only reason I haven't seen and checked the Sex and the City movies is because I haven't gotten around to see the TV series yet.

sebby

Post by sebby » February 13th, 2020, 3:32 am

WATCH BOTH PADDINGTON FILMS YOU HEARTLESS SOBS

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » February 13th, 2020, 3:58 am

So, kind of a flip side question: If you start watching a series, hate the first installment and don't find anything to convince you subsequent installments are either more of the same or - as often happens with series - worse, do you continue watching the series because they are official checks?

sol can find me here

fori

Post by fori » February 13th, 2020, 4:37 am

Probably not a great movie, but I’d guess it’s ok to skip the earlier ones. These films are designed to be watched by people unfamiliar with the series. I haven’t seen any of this particular one, but the “Lost in X”, “Wolf Warrior” & other franchises I have seen this way all got the job done. In fact, for many of these newer Chinese franchises, the newer entries attract far larger audiences than they had earlier on. I wasn’t watching for the check though, just light entertainment, keeping up with the big releases, that sort of stuff. I only watched Lost in Russia because my wife wanted to see it. But if you wanted to really dive in and bring your critical perspective to these as works of art, you should probably see them all.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 13th, 2020, 4:50 am

xianjiro wrote:
February 13th, 2020, 3:58 am
So, kind of a flip side question: If you start watching a series, hate the first installment and don't find anything to convince you subsequent installments are either more of the same or - as often happens with series - worse, do you continue watching the series because they are official checks?
I probably would because if they are a check (or on a list that interests me) it signals to me that they are potentially worth watching for some reason (it would depend on what list, how many lists, who recommends it, if it's a series I'm interested in completing etc). I could hate the first 6 films of a series and love the 7th, so I'll give anything a shot. Even like, the Friday the 13th series; 6 is the best, 3 is good, 1 and 10 were ok, the rest are pretty rubbish. They are all pretty much more or less the same, but.. not.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » February 13th, 2020, 9:00 am

Just imagine the writers/director of the seventh installment in a series deciding to make a film no one would get unless they'd watched the six prior films - or even more fun - if the next Star Trek feature film required extensive knowledge of all prior TV series and movies.

Of course this wouldn't happen because it limits the potential audience drastically, even for something as popular as Star Trek.

No, the creators try to walk a thin line between keeping the franchise story moving forward and providing entertainment even someone unfamiliar with the franchise should be able to enjoy. If something from episode 2 is critical to understanding, they use a flashback. So it seems really unlikely that one would need to have seen prior, unofficial, entries before watching the official check.

And besides that, if we want to be really pedantic, we would have to inspect every check for something like the original Star Wars trilogy or the Lord of the Rings trilogy to make sure users have checked all three simultaneously. After all, the movies are listed in some sources as a trilogy and not individual entries. Thus 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die has 1007 entries on our version of the list but only 1001 in the book. ;)

sol can find me here

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » February 13th, 2020, 9:10 am

xianjiro wrote:
February 13th, 2020, 9:00 am
After all, the movies are listed in some sources as a trilogy and not individual entries. Thus 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die has 1007 entries on our version of the list but only 1001 in the book. ;)
Let's not participate in the stupidity of others.

cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage » February 13th, 2020, 9:51 am

If/when I watch a movie for the check, then I wouldn't mind watching a sequel without care for the previous movies.

But I very rarely watch a movie only for the check. I'm just curious about movies, and don't really care about these lists, as they keep changing, gain or lose official status and all that. I don't see a point in this.
I usually just want to know and understand what the fuss is all about, so watch all of the films in a franchise, whether official or not. I just did that last month with Bill & Ted's movies. And I plan to watch Blacula 2 this month, even though it's not on any list...

Regarding Paddington, any person with a heart should try and watch it. It's great animation paired with great storytelling.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » February 13th, 2020, 5:04 pm

Onderhond wrote:
February 13th, 2020, 9:10 am
xianjiro wrote:
After all, the movies are listed in some sources as a trilogy and not individual entries. Thus 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die has 1007 entries on our version of the list but only 1001 in the book. ;)
:mw_confused:

sol can find me here

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » February 13th, 2020, 5:20 pm

xianjiro wrote:
February 13th, 2020, 5:04 pm
Onderhond wrote:
xianjiro wrote:
Talking about lists that group individual films in combined entries.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 14th, 2020, 2:18 pm

Well, y’all convinced me to watch the first Paddington. Turns out it was on a list after all, so not a total waste lol. My boyfriend watched the last hour with me and was like ‘is this on a list or something coz it sucksss’. Knows me well.

Coryn

Post by Coryn » February 14th, 2020, 2:28 pm

Watched Paddington 2 yesterday, had seen the 1st one before. Absolutely loved it.

People are not watching movies because they are not on an official list? Everybody to his own of course but why? Just because of the rank?
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?

dirty_score

Post by dirty_score » February 14th, 2020, 6:44 pm

blueboybob wrote:

No, I think it's important to watch every movie in a 'franchise' because of character growth. But only if you really want to invest your time in it. I have to confess, a long time ago, I started with Pirates of Caribbean 3 and I skipped the middle films of Harry Potter and so I learned the hard way that it's not the same. Especially with recent movies, even if they try to make it a separated entry, usually it has some connections with previous movies.

Unless it's a spinoff like American Pie or Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift, but even that one, got retconned by a later movie. Or prequels like in the Alien Saga.
xianjiro wrote:
I did that twice. First with Twilight and then Fast & Furious and now I have to keep going because completionist. Forgive me, I was in a bad place. I learned my lesson by just watching the first 50 shades of Grey, out of curiosity.

Both Paddington's are not that bad! :hug: :hmph:

Teproc

Post by Teproc » February 14th, 2020, 7:11 pm

I watch the previous ones, or don't watch them at all.

Paddington > Paddington 2, btw.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » February 15th, 2020, 7:03 pm

Onderhond wrote:
February 13th, 2020, 5:20 pm
xianjiro wrote:
February 13th, 2020, 5:04 pm
Onderhond wrote:

Talking about lists that group individual films in combined entries.
ah! but if they each had their own entry, there might not be room for stunner like the most recent Star Is Bored

sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » February 15th, 2020, 7:08 pm

dirty_score wrote:
February 14th, 2020, 6:44 pm
blueboybob wrote:

No, I think it's important to watch every movie in a 'franchise' because of character growth. But only if you really want to invest your time in it. I have to confess, a long time ago, I started with Pirates of Caribbean 3 and I skipped the middle films of Harry Potter and so I learned the hard way that it's not the same. Especially with recent movies, even if they try to make it a separated entry, usually it has some connections with previous movies.

Unless it's a spinoff like American Pie or Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift, but even that one, got retconned by a later movie. Or prequels like in the Alien Saga.
xianjiro wrote:
I did that twice. First with Twilight and then Fast & Furious and now I have to keep going because completionist. Forgive me, I was in a bad place. I learned my lesson by just watching the first 50 shades of Grey, out of curiosity.

Both Paddington's are not that bad! :hug: :hmph:
Wow - some of the series you mention - character growth?!? Do you mean like Christian Grey growing more annoying and tedious? I've never really thought about Mike Meyers, Freddy Krueger, or Jason Vorhees in terms of character growth. (D:)

sol can find me here

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » February 15th, 2020, 9:00 pm

Weirdly, I saw both "Halloween III" and "Paddington 2" within the past three weeks. :)

Yeah, this is definitely a check-whore question. I wouldn't watch a sequel alone just to get a check, but I might watch it if I thought its "official" status indicated it was superior to the first film.

My worst "sequel first" example is easily "The Emigrants" vs. "The New Land." I saw "The New Land" about 2.5 years ago (TCM, probably?) and STILL haven't gotten to "The Emigrants." It's one of the top films I want to see. TCM has shown "The Emigrants" twice since I put it on my watchlist, but they show the shorter US edit and I want the longer one.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » February 16th, 2020, 2:23 am

Ebbywebby wrote:
February 15th, 2020, 9:00 pm
My worst "sequel first" example is easily "The Emigrants" vs. "The New Land." I saw "The New Land" about 2.5 years ago (TCM, probably?) and STILL haven't gotten to "The Emigrants." It's one of the top films I want to see. TCM has shown "The Emigrants" twice since I put it on my watchlist, but they show the shorter US edit and I want the longer one.
I saw them a couple of weeks ago, and I can't imagine they would work as well seen in reverse. It's essentially one movie, as both were shot in one go. I'd put The Emigrants a little ahead as a more compelling story. I kind of want to read the novels now.