Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 4 released May 26th)
Polls: 1950s (Results), 1966 awards (May 28th), 1935 (May 29th)
Challenges: Comedy, Western, Iberian Peninsula
Film of the Week: Unter den Brücken, June nominations (May 29th)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2A: Poland vs Mexico (Jun 4th), Match 2B: Tajikistan vs Italy (Jun 14th)

Name the 10 Criterion Collection films you most want to see

Ebbywebby

Name the 10 Criterion Collection films you most want to see

Post by Ebbywebby » October 17th, 2019, 7:18 pm

I don't necessarily mean the Criterion edition itself...just seeing the film for the first time, period.

After seeing L'enfance Nue last night, I'd say my priority list becomes....

1. The Emigrants (1971)
2. Eight Hours Don't Make a Day (1972)
3. La Verité (1960)
4. Here Is Your Life (1966)
5. The Magic Flute (1975)
6. Le Amiche (1955)
7. Le Havre (2011)
8. The Story of the Last Chrysanthemum (1939) [the bottom three aren't explicitly on my watchlist]
9. À Nos Amours (1983)
10. The Devil's Envoys (1942)

(Rich, theBlackLodge, Zuma and arsee need not reply. :D )

But I also saw the first hour of Mothra vs. Godzilla last night, so that'll be my next CC check. Less than a masterpiece.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » October 17th, 2019, 10:46 pm

It's really hard to pick 10 from the 17 I haven't seen when my goal is see everything.

Zimna wojna 2018
L'eau froide 1994
Acht Stunden sind kein Tag 1972
The Inland Sea 1991
Zendegi va digar hich 1992
The Daytrippers 1996
The Story of Temple Drake 1933
Le petit soldat 1963
Yûkoku 1966
Kedamono no ken 1965

Four of the titles not picked are Gojira films. The other three could easily replace three titles on the bottom half of the list. But, as I said, I will see them all.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » October 17th, 2019, 11:26 pm

I still say The Inland Sea seems like the most obscure Criterion release EVAH. And STILL only 27 checks...wow.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » October 18th, 2019, 11:01 am

Possibly...

Robinson Crusoe on Mars
Island of Lost Souls
Love Streams
Divorce Italian Style
Bob le flambeur
Il sorpasso
Big Deal on Madonna Street
Ride the Pink Horse
Marketa Lazarová
Identification of a Woman

...in roughly that order - though I'm sure some of those would be available to me were I to actively research this.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » October 18th, 2019, 12:00 pm

My problem with Criterion is that so many of the ones I would most like to see / rewatch (older films in English) don't have subs.
Otherwise I'm way past "most wanting" to see anything. I'd like to see more Zatoichi, but did I watch any during the Japan challenge? Naw.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

zuma
Donator

Post by zuma » October 18th, 2019, 1:09 pm

Ebbywebby wrote:
October 17th, 2019, 7:18 pm
I don't necessarily mean the Criterion edition itself...just seeing the film for the first time, period.

After seeing L'enfance Nue last night, I'd say my priority list becomes....

1. The Emigrants (1971)
3. La Verité (1960)
6. Le Amiche (1955)
7. Le Havre (2011)
8. The Story of the Last Chrysanthemum (1939) [the bottom three aren't explicitly on my watchlist]
9. À Nos Amours (1983)

(Rich, theBlackLodge, Zuma and arsee need not reply. :D )

But I also saw the first hour of Mothra vs. Godzilla last night, so that'll be my next CC check. Less than a masterpiece.
If The Emigrants is your highest priority, then The New Land (1972) should be second highest. They are part 1 and Part 2 of the same story.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » October 18th, 2019, 4:36 pm

3eyes wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 12:00 pm
My problem with Criterion is that so many of the ones I would most like to see / rewatch (older films in English) don't have subs.
Otherwise I'm way past "most wanting" to see anything. I'd like to see more Zatoichi, but did I watch any during the Japan challenge? Naw.
Is this a streaming issue? I've never had an issue with subs on Criterion discs - and I've seen a few. :whistling:

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » October 18th, 2019, 5:20 pm

I still have 933 to see, so out of the 227 I've watchlisted, this would be my rough top ten most wanted, in no particular order.

Tengoku to jigoku (1963)
Charade (1963)
Nora inu (1949)
Fanny och Alexander (1982)
Kanal (1957)
If... (1968)
Zéro de conduite (1933)
La dolce vita (1960)
Morte a Venezia (1971)
Europa Europa (1990)

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » October 18th, 2019, 6:19 pm

xianjiro wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 4:36 pm
3eyes wrote:
Is this a streaming issue? I've never had an issue with subs on Criterion discs - and I've seen a few. :whistling:
I guess it is. NF DVDS have subs, but Criterion Channel doesn't much care about us deaf folks (as I just informed them).

zuma
Donator

Post by zuma » October 18th, 2019, 6:33 pm

3eyes wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 6:19 pm
xianjiro wrote:
3eyes wrote:
I guess it is. NF DVDS have subs, but Criterion Channel doesn't much care about us deaf folks (as I just informed them).
All the films I have watched on Criterion Channel had subtitles or closed captioned subs. I always have to turn them on though as the film is starting.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » October 18th, 2019, 7:50 pm

zuma wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 6:33 pm
3eyes wrote:
xianjiro wrote:

All the films I have watched on Criterion Channel had subtitles or closed captioned subs. I always have to turn them on though as the film is starting.
How do you do that? I haven't figured it out with Roku - there the subs show up if they exist (CC says not all films have them). All foreign-language films and more recent English-language films have them but earlier English, sometimes not. Depends on age of Criterion release, I suppose.

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » October 18th, 2019, 8:16 pm

zuma wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 1:09 pm

If The Emigrants is your highest priority, then The New Land (1972) should be second highest. They are part 1 and Part 2 of the same story.
I've seen it. I went backwards. :)

albajos

Post by albajos » October 18th, 2019, 8:18 pm

Ebbywebby wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 8:16 pm

I've seen it. I went backwards. :)
They went back to Sweden?

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » October 18th, 2019, 10:04 pm

3eyes wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 7:50 pm
zuma wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 6:33 pm
3eyes wrote:

How do you do that? I haven't figured it out with Roku - there the subs show up if they exist (CC says not all films have them). All foreign-language films and more recent English-language films have them but earlier English, sometimes not. Depends on age of Criterion release, I suppose.
I don't have access to the Criterion Channel, and things can vary on Roku from channel to channel, app to app. However, my Roku remote has an asterisk that generally gets me into any settings that I can change - both for my Roku and for the channel I'm watching. It didn't seem to do anything for Netflix, but when I start selecting a Netflix title, there's an option for Audio/Subtitles and there is a similar display on screen after the title starts streaming, but I have to get it to display by basically calling up the control bar at the bottom.

Also, my Roku has an item under Setting (from the main screen) - I think it's called Accessibility. Under it is another selection that allows one to select CC on/off as a default. However, I can't promise that Criterion's app can or won't override that.

So yes, I really do believe you should be able to get closed captions/subtitles for most releases - you just have to find where the controls are. I got really frustrated using Kanopy on Roku because they hide much of the interface in a 'drawer' on the lefthand side of the screen. Can't remember what I had to do to access that - maybe just press the left arrow on the remote when at the opening screen (which lists available titles).

I don't know if part of Criterion's process for packaging releases includes adding captions for English language movies or not. While it's been pretty standard industry practice for a number of years, I don't know that it's a legal obligation (though who knows, it might be an ADA thing at this point). Occasionally I have noticed that an old movie or TV show on DVD won't be captioned - I'm pretty sure Leave It To Beaver doesn't have captions for example. Also, while there have been main feature subtitles on a foreign DVD, I'm never surprised that the extra features aren't subtitled. I'll keep my out for this on the next few Criterion discs I watch, just for a general sense of things. If, for example, I had known when I had Cluny Brown, it would have been easy to check. I don't see any notes that it is captioned on the library website, but that isn't definitive.

So, look around for settings in Roku. If you still have trouble locating them, I can take some photos of the screen, but who knows if our screens will even look alike. I certainly don't expect any of my channels/apps to behave the same as Criterion's so can't offer much help there.

sol can find me here

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » October 18th, 2019, 10:19 pm

Thanks, xianjiro. I think I know my way around roku pretty well but I recently had to replace my remote and maybe this one will work better.
(I still don't know what the return button [not the back button] is supposed to do - nothing, as far as I can see.)

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » October 18th, 2019, 10:57 pm

3eyes wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 10:19 pm
Thanks, xianjiro. I think I know my way around roku pretty well but I recently had to replace my remote and maybe this one will work better.
(I still don't know what the return button [not the back button] is supposed to do - nothing, as far as I can see.)
Is the return button the one with an almost circle behind the arrow?

edit: we should probably relocate this part of the conversation - I'm happy to help but don't want to hijack the thread

sol can find me here

sebby

Post by sebby » October 19th, 2019, 1:33 am

Haven't seen the Cloud Capped Star and waiting on it from the library right now. Excited for that. I have the Fassbinder miniseries but haven't gotten around to it. More criminally, I have the BR of Fanny and Alexander just sitting here in front of me, as it has been since its release, and still have not watched it.

monclivie

Post by monclivie » October 19th, 2019, 6:08 am

I don't even have a bronze on this list, so i could easily name 20 or more, but these ones look like my future favorites:

A Brighter Summer Day
Jeanne Dielman, 23 Commerce Quay, 1080 Brussels
Claire's Knee
Il sorpasso
Lacombe Lucien
Kagemusha
Frances Ha
Grey Gardens
My Life as a Dog
Alice in the Cities

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » October 25th, 2019, 11:48 pm

That this thread flopped so badly just suggests that I must have a very different approach to choosing movies than other forum regulars. The CC list is arguably the site's second most essential list after TSPDT (it's inarguably the ninth most Favorited), and yet only four other people have an answer to this question? I guess people just choose entire lists to concentrate on and, from there, it's just whichever films from the list they stumble upon first.

You'd think loads of regulars would have at least 10 CC films on their watchlists, so answering the question would only require going to the CC list, noting which films are watchlisted and casually editing that subset down to 10....

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » October 26th, 2019, 1:41 am

:shrug:

sol can find me here

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » October 26th, 2019, 3:17 am

Ebbywebby wrote:
October 25th, 2019, 11:48 pm
You'd think loads of regulars would have at least 10 CC films on their watchlists, so answering the question would only require going to the CC list, noting which films are watchlisted and casually editing that subset down to 10....
At least for me, I don't maintain a watchlist. And I've never been super interested in the Criterion list as something to focus on, as many/most of those films show up on other things I'm at least tangentially interested in. :shrug:

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » May 14th, 2020, 10:21 pm

Ebbywebby wrote:
October 17th, 2019, 7:18 pm
1. The Emigrants (1971)
3. La Verité (1960)
6. Le Amiche (1955)
7. Le Havre (2011)
8. The Story of the Last Chrysanthemum (1939)
9. À Nos Amours (1983)
Hm. I was disappointed in the lack of response to this thread but, just seven months later, the topic doesn't even suit me. I've now seen #3-#7 and #9 from the above 10, and choosing a top 10 isn't meaningful for me anymore because I just don't have 10 standout Criterion cravings left. I do have a private list of 38 unseen Criterion films "of measurable interest"***, but only two of them (Emigrants, Eight Hours) are actually on my watchlist. Most of the rest just bleed together as borderline "might be good"-type films.

This question popped into my mind again, because I saw "Sundays and Cybele" last night and it would have been among my top remaining wants.

***24 Frames, And Life Goes On, Bigger Than Life, Burroughs: The Movie, Canoa: A Shameful Memory, Certified Copy, Clean Shaven, Colossal Youth, Eight Hours Don't Make a Day, Europe '51, Hard Boiled, Husbands, I Am Curious (Blue), In a Lonely Place, Insomnia, Japon, L'humanite, Land of Milk and Honey, Letter Never Sent, Love Streams, Mala Noche, Mikey and Nicky, One Sings the Other Doesn't, Parade, Shoah, State of Siege, The Devil's Backbone, The Devil's Envoys, The Docks of New York, The Emigrants, The Human Condition (trilogy), The Life of Jesus, The Lower Depths, The Story of Temple Drake, The Story of the Last Chrysanthemums, Through the Olive Trees, When a Woman Ascends the Stairs, Youth of the Beast

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 15th, 2020, 6:44 am

Ebbywebby wrote:
October 25th, 2019, 11:48 pm
I guess people just choose entire lists to concentrate on and, from there, it's just whichever films from the list they stumble upon first.
I just watch whichever I stumble upon first from whatever list. If I select all official checks that I haven't seen from my four available streaming services (Prime, Disney, MUBI, Plex) I can barely keep up. I'm not even working on any list anymore.

That said. I have no particular interest in this list.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

Minkin

Post by Minkin » May 15th, 2020, 7:09 pm

I'll help you out Ebbywebby! Though I won't rank my top ten.

So, I used to have a goal in life of wanting to own every Criterion film, hence we now own over 500 of them! When my mental health took a turn for the worse, that goal turned into "watching the complete edition -special features and all." And now its turned into a "just simply watch the damn thing." When I planned to own everything, I'd strategically not watch certain films that I knew were coming to Criterion (since I run the Criterion forthcoming list at criterionforum) - because I knew I'd own it one day -and would want to watch the bluray that I owned instead of TCM/Amazon/youtube/etc. We also had a huge backlog of things to watch with our DVR taking up primary resources. Now with that gone, we're waiting until we have a better film watching setup to watch most of our blurays -since we'd rather watch them on a large screen. This convoluted story results in: being rather controlled by the Criterion list. Either putting off watching for the sake of it; or for the better appreciation of it. As a result, we own a huge film collection that we almost never watch! The only thing we own that gets regular play is MST3K. It also means that a list of "most official lists that you haven't checked yet" - are all films that we own. Since the Criterion Collection wasted several thousand of my dollars, controlled my movie watching, and has left me with a large collection sitting around that never gets any use .... I might as well pay it the favor of selecting a top ten I want to watch.

Lonesome (1928) - Own it
I remember telling my partner that I was planning to "get Lonesome" at the store, and they thought I needed some alone time. But the film looks like a blast -especially with its depiction of early Coney Island + a cute romance story attached + early color / sound.

The Color of Pomegranates (1969) - Own it
I've only seen screenshots of this film, and I don't think anything else like it exists. It just effuses style and presentation and just beckons me to want to figure out its mysteries.

Marius/Fanny/Cesar - Don't own it
I love these sort of belle epoque films from France from between the wars. They seem so full of life. And these seem like fun comedies to boot.

Science is Fiction - films by Jean Painleve - Own it
I've only seen one of the films on this set (the vampire) and thought it was super imaginative and impressive for an early animal documentary. I'd like to see how Painleve approached other animals / elements of the sea and used an entertainingly creative approach to inform the audience.

Baron Munchausen (1962) - Don't own it
This looks like a lot of fun. I've been on a huge Czech bent lately and I've been wanting to see more visually stylized films that are adventures / fun.

Pierre Etaix set - Own it
Like Painleve, I've only seen a single short, but I loved it. I really appreciate Etaix's sense of humor and approach to comedy.

Valerie and Her Week of Wonders (1970) - Own it
See Munchausen. I love that they included an alternative soundtrack on this one - that's always the best kind of special feature (chiefly for silent cinema, but so rare for a sound film!)

The Phantom Carriage (1921) - Own it
I love silent cinema - especially when it has a stylized approach to the narrative and visuals. I've always wanted to watch this one and for some reason it hasn't happened yet. + that cover really helps to sell the film.

Female Trouble (1974) - Own it
I loved Polyester and I've seen a few clips of this film (I wanted Cha-Cha heels!). So I'm super excited to finally be able to see this one.

The Olympics set - Own it
Yes, I own this monstrosity and haven't seen any of it. It sits atop a shelf staring at me - knowing that it would take me probably a year to get through it at our slow pace. But stuff like this set makes me really appreciate Criterion -for these oddball choices that get thrown in. It makes me want to keep collecting them - to see what discoveries further await.

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » May 15th, 2020, 8:44 pm

Thanks, Minkin. Phew, I really can't imagine EVER watching most of those Olympics films. Bud Greenspan, auteur? :)

Otherwise, lots of great stuff there and I've seen all except the Pagnol trilogy. I've had "Cesar" in my DVR for over two years (recorded off TCM), but I've put off trying it because 1) it's very long 2) I'm not sure I'll like it 3) maybe it's wrong to watch the third film first?

Today, I guess "The Comfort of Strangers" becomes another unseen Criterion film "of measurable interest" to me. Though not a lot.

zuma
Donator

Post by zuma » May 16th, 2020, 2:05 am

A lot of great choices there Minkin...aside from the Olympics set. Although I can image the set itself is beautiful. About half of your list are favourites of mine.

I am in the same boat wrt remastering. I put off the Apu trilogy for a decade before I watched it. Thankfully by the time it was released we had the big screen, home theatre, setup.