Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Directors (Results), 2019 (Feb 16th), Mini-series (Feb 29th), 2009 awards (Mar 3rd), Favorite Movies (Mar 21st), Doubling the Canon (Mar ??)
Challenges: Academy Awards, Africa, African American/Blaxploitation
Film of the Week: Doa al karawan, March nominations (Feb 28th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1D: Australia vs Hungary vs Portugal vs Tajikistan (Mar 1st), 1E: Czechia vs France vs Georgia vs Mexico (Mar 18th)

Is ICM on its deathbed?

Is ICM a ghost town?

Yes
12
16%
Maybe
22
29%
No
43
56%
 
Total votes: 77

User avatar
Ebbywebby
Posts: 2866
Joined: Sep 10, 2012
Location: Orange County, CA
Contact:

Re: Is ICM on its deathbed?

#121

Post by Ebbywebby » October 26th, 2019, 3:43 am

WalterNeff wrote:
October 26th, 2019, 2:47 am
fori wrote:
October 26th, 2019, 2:16 am
WalterNeff wrote:
October 26th, 2019, 1:43 am
圖書館在哪裡
What did you mean by this? “Where Is the library?”
????
When I learned French 50 years ago, we learned it by memorizing dialogues. The one everyone in my cohort remembers is "Ou est la bibliotheque" which we translated into many languages and used for humorous purposes.
I recall this being one of the initial exchanges:

Ou est Sylvie?

À la piscine.

Avec qui?

Avec Anne.

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 30651
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#122

Post by joachimt » October 26th, 2019, 6:49 am

xianjiro wrote:
October 26th, 2019, 1:39 am
Yeah, but allowing posts sexualizing an actress potraying a woman dying of AIDS is totally cool with moderators.
Huh? :huh:
Link please.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 7065
Joined: Jun 17, 2015
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#123

Post by xianjiro » October 26th, 2019, 7:21 am

joachimt wrote:
October 26th, 2019, 6:49 am
xianjiro wrote:
October 26th, 2019, 1:39 am
Yeah, but allowing posts sexualizing an actress potraying a woman dying of AIDS is totally cool with moderators.
Huh? :huh:
Link please.
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/gia/
viewtopic.php?p=602956#p602956
viewtopic.php?p=603044#p603044

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 30651
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#124

Post by joachimt » October 26th, 2019, 7:39 am

xianjiro wrote:
October 26th, 2019, 7:21 am
joachimt wrote:
October 26th, 2019, 6:49 am
xianjiro wrote:
October 26th, 2019, 1:39 am
Yeah, but allowing posts sexualizing an actress potraying a woman dying of AIDS is totally cool with moderators.
Huh? :huh:
Link please.
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/gia/
viewtopic.php?p=602956#p602956
viewtopic.php?p=603044#p603044
It would have helped if you told the whole story in the first place. I only saw you reporting someone who posted tits on iCM. I don't know the movie. It goes to far to conclude that I am "cool with sexualizing an actress potraying a woman dying of AIDS", since I didn't know the context.

I removed it now.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 7065
Joined: Jun 17, 2015
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#125

Post by xianjiro » October 26th, 2019, 9:09 am

joachimt wrote:
October 26th, 2019, 7:39 am
xianjiro wrote:
October 26th, 2019, 7:21 am
joachimt wrote:
October 26th, 2019, 6:49 am

Huh? :huh:
Link please.
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/gia/
viewtopic.php?p=602956#p602956
viewtopic.php?p=603044#p603044
It would have helped if you told the whole story in the first place. I only saw you reporting someone who posted tits on iCM. I don't know the movie. It goes to far to conclude that I am "cool with sexualizing an actress potraying a woman dying of AIDS", since I didn't know the context.

I removed it now.
True. Though not having any criteria or process, how are we supposed to know such things? You could have also asked. But even if was a different movie - for sake of discussion, let's rule out movies meant to be sexual like soft-core and hard-core porn - how is the Troll's comment not "sexualizing an actress" regardless of whom she is portraying? Would we allow a detailed comment about the apparent skill of one character fellating another, with lots of descriptive detail, to stand? It's probably just something the mods should think and talk about at some point. It's just kind of odd that there isn't a flagging mechanism build into the UI - I was trying to check the beta, but can't seem to get it to load in any browser. Okay, finally got it to load and see there is the ability to report comments in the beta. :thumbsup:

Which brings up another difficulty with iCM - sometimes nothing seems to work at about this time of day (database update or something?) and there are some things that only work in certain browsers - the only thing I've noticed consistently is I can only add titles to iCM using Edge, Chrome doesn't work for that, but I can do everything else I use iCM for in Chrome, well, except access the beta site - can't remember the last time I was able to do that in Chrome.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

User avatar
albajos
Posts: 6668
Joined: May 24, 2016
Location: Norway
Contact:

#126

Post by albajos » October 26th, 2019, 9:19 am

Seems like a problem with your Chrome, not the site.

User avatar
72aicm
Donator
Posts: 3068
Joined: Nov 13, 2016
Contact:

#127

Post by 72aicm » October 26th, 2019, 10:02 am

So the moderators are supposed to remove comments that’s not 100% pc? Yes. iCM is on its deathbed...

But then again, so is society.

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 30651
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#128

Post by joachimt » October 26th, 2019, 2:16 pm

xianjiro wrote:
October 26th, 2019, 9:09 am
Okay, finally got it to load and see there is the ability to report comments in the beta. :thumbsup:
To be honest, I don't know where those report go though. :unsure:
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
Wonderful Rainbow
Posts: 336
Joined: Sep 29, 2012
Contact:

#129

Post by Wonderful Rainbow » October 26th, 2019, 7:36 pm

And what would be wrong with ICM remaining a 1000 member website? I don't see any reason to feel bad about this. It's supposed to be about you checking films on lists and that's it! No need for extra users to do that! Easier to move among the rankings anyway. At no point on the website we see signs that say "beat 100 000 users to unlock next batch of lists". If you're actually so worried turn this into a pyramid scheme, invite a friend and ask them to invite friends and so forth.

User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 7065
Joined: Jun 17, 2015
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#130

Post by xianjiro » October 26th, 2019, 10:08 pm

72allinncallme wrote:
October 26th, 2019, 10:02 am
So the moderators are supposed to remove comments that’s not 100% pc? Yes. iCM is on its deathbed...

But then again, so is society.
Nothing quite like having all the puerile comments about how hot this or that actress is or how much she shows her tits to make the site more meaningful. It seems odd that we're willing to police some forms of language and expression (non-English) but it's okay to say: What a horrible movie! Nothing worse than watching two ______ (straight, gay, lesbian, alien, biracial, etc) people fucking and grinding non-stop to make you want to hurl. This is the worst film and I wish they'd stop making movies like this to force that agenda on me! Goddam commie nazis should all be taken out and shot.

Say whatever you want, just say it in English.

Also, I'll never forget a comment I saw somewhere about IMDb. A woman wrote about keyword tags that consistently listed basically how much female flesh was on display and what sex acts were being preformed. And no, it wasn't in an effort to alert folks that a movie was NSFW or meant for adults only, it was about tracking down big tits, sex scenes and where a bush was shaved or not. Crap like that.

To me, this is what {.}{.} is all about. There is no comment on applicability of the nudity to the story, it's reflection of factual evidence, nor artistic expression. It is simply a statement "tits here." Sorry, if you find that valuable and my objection to it as demeaning and not benefiting the site.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 7065
Joined: Jun 17, 2015
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#131

Post by xianjiro » October 26th, 2019, 10:41 pm

albajos wrote:
October 26th, 2019, 9:19 am
Seems like a problem with your Chrome, not the site.
Yeah, that's clearly the answer. Chrome broken on one site, works just fine on hundreds of others - so my Chrome is obviously the problem.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

User avatar
PeacefulAnarchy
Moderator
Posts: 23798
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#132

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » October 26th, 2019, 10:59 pm

IF you can't access the beta site on chrome then there's something wrong with cookies on chrome. It works on chrome for others, and other sites work for you in chrome, so it's either cookies or addons.

User avatar
Ebbywebby
Posts: 2866
Joined: Sep 10, 2012
Location: Orange County, CA
Contact:

#133

Post by Ebbywebby » October 26th, 2019, 11:08 pm

Wonderful Rainbow wrote:
October 26th, 2019, 7:36 pm
At no point on the website we see signs that say "beat 100 000 users to unlock next batch of lists".
Ha!

User avatar
Ebbywebby
Posts: 2866
Joined: Sep 10, 2012
Location: Orange County, CA
Contact:

#134

Post by Ebbywebby » October 26th, 2019, 11:13 pm

xianjiro wrote:
October 26th, 2019, 10:08 pm

Nothing quite like having all the puerile comments about how hot this or that actress is or how much she shows her tits to make the site more meaningful. It seems odd that we're willing to police some forms of language and expression (non-English) but it's okay to say: What a horrible movie! Nothing worse than watching two ______ (straight, gay, lesbian, alien, biracial, etc) people fucking and grinding non-stop to make you want to hurl. This is the worst film and I wish they'd stop making movies like this to force that agenda on me! Goddam commie nazis should all be taken out and shot.

Say whatever you want, just say it in English.

Also, I'll never forget a comment I saw somewhere about IMDb. A woman wrote about keyword tags that consistently listed basically how much female flesh was on display and what sex acts were being preformed. And no, it wasn't in an effort to alert folks that a movie was NSFW or meant for adults only, it was about tracking down big tits, sex scenes and where a bush was shaved or not. Crap like that.

To me, this is what {.}{.} is all about. There is no comment on applicability of the nudity to the story, it's reflection of factual evidence, nor artistic expression. It is simply a statement "tits here." Sorry, if you find that valuable and my objection to it as demeaning and not benefiting the site.
That's how I feel when the forum periodically conducts those "Most Attractive Celebrities" polls. Really makes me cringe.

User avatar
PeacefulAnarchy
Moderator
Posts: 23798
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#135

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » October 26th, 2019, 11:52 pm

Ebbywebby wrote:
October 26th, 2019, 11:13 pm
That's how I feel when the forum periodically conducts those "Most Attractive Celebrities" polls. Really makes me cringe.
Me too, but I think we only did that once or twice and last time was almost 4 years ago, now.

User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 7065
Joined: Jun 17, 2015
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#136

Post by xianjiro » October 27th, 2019, 12:42 am

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
October 26th, 2019, 10:59 pm
IF you can't access the beta site on chrome then there's something wrong with cookies on chrome. It works on chrome for others, and other sites work for you in chrome, so it's either cookies or addons.
I'm totally unwilling to kill all cookies just to see if that makes a site that has known issues "work". Also, most of the likely addons that might affect the beta site's functionality came upon recommendation of forum users I think we both tend to trust. Yes, I can go through various options to figure out what's causing the issue, but why bother? Especially since a much easier work around is to fire up Edge that one time each fortnight I need to add a title. That also seems a lot safer than removing security addons which might leave me exposed elsewhere. And, if that's what 'breaking" a feature on iCM, one wonders how 'safe' the site is.

I'm sure someone who's just starting out and can't get the browser tweaked just right so that the beta site works will say, "oh heck, it's that one addon that's causing the problem". Sure, they'll spend lots of time trying to figure it out AND won't just walk away.

That's the real issue: we don't really know why people stop using the site, now do we. Lots of conjecture.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

User avatar
72aicm
Donator
Posts: 3068
Joined: Nov 13, 2016
Contact:

#137

Post by 72aicm » October 27th, 2019, 1:05 am

xianjiro wrote:
October 26th, 2019, 10:08 pm
Sorry, if you find that valuable and my objection to it as demeaning and not benefiting the site.
I never said I found any value in it (the comment) and I don’t. But this is (sort of) off topic so I’ll leave it at that. I’ll just say that I found those kind of comments just as fun as you, but I disagree that they need to be deleted.

I do agree with you on the «only comments in English are allowed» issue, though. One comment in a «foreign» language on a movie page is more valuable then no comments at all.

User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 7065
Joined: Jun 17, 2015
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#138

Post by xianjiro » October 27th, 2019, 1:37 am

Just ran across some of those 'useful' IMDb keywords I eluded to earlier, though I don't believe this was the movie the other writer was pointing to. Still, there are a group of keywords that cause one to wonder ...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0346800/keywords

Wow! "cmnm scene" puts this film right at the top of my watchlist! (Hint: not everything I say is true or something I truly believe ;) )

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 7522
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#139

Post by sol » October 27th, 2019, 1:48 am

Wonderful Rainbow wrote:
October 26th, 2019, 7:36 pm
And what would be wrong with ICM remaining a 1000 member website? I don't see any reason to feel bad about this. It's supposed to be about you checking films on lists and that's it! No need for extra users to do that! Easier to move among the rankings anyway. At no point on the website we see signs that say "beat 100 000 users to unlock next batch of lists". If you're actually so worried turn this into a pyramid scheme, invite a friend and ask them to invite friends and so forth.
Amen. :poshclap: I said earlier on this thread, Marijn isn't running the website to turn a profit, so as long as there are enough of us willing and able to help him out, a decline in new users isn't really a problem.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 600 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

User avatar
fori
Posts: 1258
Joined: Aug 24, 2014
Contact:

#140

Post by fori » October 27th, 2019, 2:05 am

sol wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 1:48 am
Wonderful Rainbow wrote:
October 26th, 2019, 7:36 pm
And what would be wrong with ICM remaining a 1000 member website? I don't see any reason to feel bad about this. It's supposed to be about you checking films on lists and that's it! No need for extra users to do that! Easier to move among the rankings anyway. At no point on the website we see signs that say "beat 100 000 users to unlock next batch of lists". If you're actually so worried turn this into a pyramid scheme, invite a friend and ask them to invite friends and so forth.
Amen. :poshclap: I said earlier on this thread, Marijn isn't running the website to turn a profit, so as long as there are enough of us willing and able to help him out, a decline in new users isn't really a problem.
It’s not that it would be a problem, but I don’t know how fulfilling it would be for Marjin or whoever is operating the site at that time. Perhaps more crucially, I don’t think a core audience - of 1000 fairly active users that won’t bounce - exists. Many (or even most) people on this forum use Letterboxd or IMDb more. I think crunch time is coming, and sticking our heads in the sand is not a solution.

User avatar
PeacefulAnarchy
Moderator
Posts: 23798
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#141

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » October 27th, 2019, 2:28 am

xianjiro wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 12:42 am
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
October 26th, 2019, 10:59 pm
IF you can't access the beta site on chrome then there's something wrong with cookies on chrome. It works on chrome for others, and other sites work for you in chrome, so it's either cookies or addons.
I'm totally unwilling to kill all cookies just to see if that makes a site that has known issues "work". Also, most of the likely addons that might affect the beta site's functionality came upon recommendation of forum users I think we both tend to trust. Yes, I can go through various options to figure out what's causing the issue, but why bother? Especially since a much easier work around is to fire up Edge that one time each fortnight I need to add a title. That also seems a lot safer than removing security addons which might leave me exposed elsewhere. And, if that's what 'breaking" a feature on iCM, one wonders how 'safe' the site is.

I'm sure someone who's just starting out and can't get the browser tweaked just right so that the beta site works will say, "oh heck, it's that one addon that's causing the problem". Sure, they'll spend lots of time trying to figure it out AND won't just walk away.

That's the real issue: we don't really know why people stop using the site, now do we. Lots of conjecture.
You don't have to kill all cookies, you can just delete the ICM ones. I don't know what addons you're using so I can't say anything about that.

On the one hand I know where you're coming from, there are sites I won't visit because they want me to not use a private window or disable adblock and if the only reason I'm there is from a google search or a link someone posts I'll just close the tab and move on with my day. I don't think that applies to ICM though.
On the other hand there's a lot of stuff out there that fails to work for reasons that neither the users nor the web designers can really predict, data gets corrupted by browsers for a bunch of reasons and troubleshooting is basically disable/delete stuff until it works.

User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 7065
Joined: Jun 17, 2015
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#142

Post by xianjiro » October 27th, 2019, 2:48 am

fori wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 2:05 am
sol wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 1:48 am
Wonderful Rainbow wrote:
October 26th, 2019, 7:36 pm
And what would be wrong with ICM remaining a 1000 member website? I don't see any reason to feel bad about this. It's supposed to be about you checking films on lists and that's it! No need for extra users to do that! Easier to move among the rankings anyway. At no point on the website we see signs that say "beat 100 000 users to unlock next batch of lists". If you're actually so worried turn this into a pyramid scheme, invite a friend and ask them to invite friends and so forth.
Amen. :poshclap: I said earlier on this thread, Marijn isn't running the website to turn a profit, so as long as there are enough of us willing and able to help him out, a decline in new users isn't really a problem.
It’s not that it would be a problem, but I don’t know how fulfilling it would be for Marjin or whoever is operating the site at that time. Perhaps more crucially, I don’t think a core audience - of 1000 fairly active users that won’t bounce - exists. Many (or even most) people on this forum use Letterboxd or IMDb more. I think crunch time is coming, and sticking our heads in the sand is not a solution.
For the record, I think I use both iCM and IMDb equally - though, which one has more influence on my choices? Clearly iCM. Am I a core user? Probably. At this point, I can't imagine using another site. Until yesterday, I'd barely opened Letterboxd and am not enamored with their lists being covers. But it does have a feature that was useful - a single link to JustWatch (though I open it a different, more locked down browser since JW likes invasive tracking cookies). I didn't like that the movie title and year wasn't listed on the list page I was using (though I admit there might be ways to change the display). While cover photos are helpful, a graphic image isn't necessarily how I think about a movie.

I don't believe I've opened TMDb more than a couple times. No idea why. Nothing caught my interest so I moved on.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

User avatar
sebby
Posts: 6125
Joined: Jul 04, 2011
Contact:

#143

Post by sebby » October 27th, 2019, 2:49 am

A lot of talk about letterboxd -- can someone explain the appeal to me? If you already use imdb, icm, criticker, what does it offer that the others do not?

User avatar
Ebbywebby
Posts: 2866
Joined: Sep 10, 2012
Location: Orange County, CA
Contact:

#144

Post by Ebbywebby » October 27th, 2019, 2:50 am

xianjiro wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 1:37 am
Just ran across some of those 'useful' IMDb keywords I eluded to earlier, though I don't believe this was the movie the other writer was pointing to. Still, there are a group of keywords that cause one to wonder ...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0346800/keywords

Wow! "cmnm scene" puts this film right at the top of my watchlist! (Hint: not everything I say is true or something I truly believe ;) )
https://www.imdb.com/search/keyword/?ke ... ating-duct

Now here's a list that's just begging to be expanded.

User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 7065
Joined: Jun 17, 2015
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#145

Post by xianjiro » October 27th, 2019, 2:53 am

Ebbywebby wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 2:50 am
xianjiro wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 1:37 am
Just ran across some of those 'useful' IMDb keywords I eluded to earlier, though I don't believe this was the movie the other writer was pointing to. Still, there are a group of keywords that cause one to wonder ...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0346800/keywords

Wow! "cmnm scene" puts this film right at the top of my watchlist! (Hint: not everything I say is true or something I truly believe ;) )
https://www.imdb.com/search/keyword/?ke ... ating-duct

Now here's a list that's just begging to be expanded.
Seriously! Isn't there a Die Hard with a heating duct scene? I think Aliens also has one.

We need a(n official) list! This is almost as good as the Top 1000 Animal Herding Movies of All Time. :P

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

User avatar
PeacefulAnarchy
Moderator
Posts: 23798
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#146

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » October 27th, 2019, 2:57 am

sebby wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 2:49 am
A lot of talk about letterboxd -- can someone explain the appeal to me? If you already use imdb, icm, criticker, what does it offer that the others do not?
A big userbase and fancy design. If neither of those is appealing then nothing. To me the userbase would be appealing if it matched the way I discover or talk about films, but it doesn't. It's strongly geared towards already knowing or connecting to people outside the site. The visual style is superficially appealing to me, but the functionality gets lost under it. I'd rather look at a letterboxd page of a movie than one from any of those other sites, but I'd rather use one of the other sites than try to parse the information on a letterboxd page.

User avatar
sebby
Posts: 6125
Joined: Jul 04, 2011
Contact:

#147

Post by sebby » October 27th, 2019, 3:02 am

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 2:57 am
sebby wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 2:49 am
A lot of talk about letterboxd -- can someone explain the appeal to me? If you already use imdb, icm, criticker, what does it offer that the others do not?
A big userbase and fancy design. If neither of those is appealing then nothing. To me the userbase would be appealing if it matched the way I discover or talk about films, but it doesn't. It's strongly geared towards already knowing or connecting to people outside the site. The visual style is superficially appealing to me, but the functionality gets lost under it. I'd rather look at a letterboxd page of a movie than one from any of those other sites, but I'd rather use one of the other sites than try to parse the information on a letterboxd page.
Ok, that's kind of the impression I got when i browsed the site several years ago. It seems to have grown almost exponentially since then and I was wondering if I missed something or they added new features.

User avatar
PeacefulAnarchy
Moderator
Posts: 23798
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#148

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » October 27th, 2019, 3:18 am

They made some features more accessible when imdb closed its forums, but I don't think much has changed since. It certainly doesn't compete on the core features of any of those three sites. There are a ton of list but they're only barely more discoverable than on imdb, nothing to compete with ICM, it has a ton of users but no recommendation engine or user discoverability like criticker, and obviously for movie data nothing compares to imdb.

The movie logging and unlimited length for reviews are it's core feature, and I do see how those have appeal over the other three, it's why I started using it but then I stopped writing reviews.

User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 7065
Joined: Jun 17, 2015
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#149

Post by xianjiro » October 27th, 2019, 3:29 am

Maybe rather than making iCM more like this or that other site, sticking to what iCM does best - lists - and making them as useful and robust as possible would be a good strategy. (And I'm not saying iCM isn't doing that. This is a discussion about why it might be "dying" and I'm not convinced it is.) If other sites have good features, then figuring out how to link to them makes much more sense to me than trying to add every possible functionality to iCM. Granted, there's always a risk that users will drift away because they find feature X on site Y more useful than our lists. That's life and doesn't mean we're doing anything wrong.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

User avatar
fori
Posts: 1258
Joined: Aug 24, 2014
Contact:

#150

Post by fori » October 27th, 2019, 4:28 am

Letterboxd also has:
- accounts from high profile users such as the aforementioned Sean Baker & Jonathan Rosenbaum and many others.
- accounts held by numerous lower profile but equally serious film critics
- far livelier discourse, with a good culture of legitimate reviewing, formulating canons & in depth exploration of esoteric regions of film.
- almost every function of ICM plus ratings, a much better site design, a more efficient twitter style followers/following function, additional profile customisation, detailed statistics and regular community polls, articles & interviews conducted by staff
- rarer experimental/older non-English language/VR-adjacent films are much easier to add to Letterboxd due to the comparative ease of adding things to TMDB. TMDB also handles non-English films much better, by not forcing alphabet romanisation & keeping surname/given name order consistent to country of origin for cast/crew.
- somewhat meaningful yearly popularity charts & more functions for filtering and ordering lists
And many other things not coming to mind right now.
:letbxd: :party:
:ICM: :rip:
I’m not trying to bag on ICM though, I actually prefer it.

User avatar
PeacefulAnarchy
Moderator
Posts: 23798
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#151

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » October 27th, 2019, 5:01 am

fori wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 4:28 am
- far livelier discourse, with a good culture of legitimate reviewing, formulating canons & in depth exploration of esoteric regions of film.
Than ICM, sure. ICM has no discourse, but considering that should be Letterboxd's main feature (it's what makes the fact that it has "personalities" on it meaningful) I find its discourse incredibly hard to use. The only discourse I see is comment circles on specific reviews by people who know each other. There's no meaningful entry point to the discourse for an outsider, or even a particularly useful way of finding the discussions. I suppose for rare films with few reviews it works, or for reviews by personalities, but I genuinely don't understand how the average user makes use of it.

Maybe this is just me, though. I have similar issues with twitter. Obviously people use twitter and like the way it works but I don't really "get" how it's supposed to work in any way beyond following the tweets of famous people. Posting on twitter feels like yelling into a void, and reading responses to tweets feels like listening to random people yelling into the void.

I guess this is pretty off topic at this point, though.

User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 30094
Joined: May 05, 2011
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#152

Post by mightysparks » October 27th, 2019, 6:03 am

Yea I like that letterboxd has the social aspect and it’s livelier, but most of the reviews are jokey and stupid things and some weird circle jerk between people. I dont even bother reading them anymore.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image

User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 7065
Joined: Jun 17, 2015
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#153

Post by xianjiro » October 27th, 2019, 6:09 am

Well. Maybe. (Sorry, Mighty snuck in. I was replying to Peaceful's closing thought.) But understanding what people want from a movie site and how we are or aren't meeting that is useful.

I would sure be interested in knowing what other movie sites people are using and why they are choosing them.

Even on IMDb, I can't say there was much 'real conversation' going on. Maybe if I was going to opening weekend and joining in the (now gone) comments discussion. But other than reviewing comments for a given film to see if anyone wrote about that X in scene Y, I can't say I cared much about that part of the site and certainly didn't think the world was ending when they killed it. I've also NEVER attached Facebook to my IMDb account and even ditched FB completely now. ("Hated it!")

I do wish the iCM user base was more active in the sense of doing a FotW (or five - say one blockbuster, one arthouse, one international, etc) and then people interested in that film could join in discussion that week. That's about the only way I can think of to get people talking about a single film that isn't in wide release on the main site. Maybe there is some of that when a film hits Netflix or disc. I do see a fair amount of comments for 'popular' films, but it's mostly liked/disliked rather than a discussion. Really, for a discussion, we'd need to have a group agree to watch a given film in the next week and then log on during a given window to discuss it. But that gets difficult with the user base stretching from Sydney to Vancouver. (Not seen any Kiwis or Hawaiians around these parts, but maybe them too!)

But on the other hand, I don't go to a gallery or art museum to have a bunch of random strangers stand around with me and discuss a Matisse. Sure, if Matisse were available, that would be entirely different. Or maybe Sister Wendy. I don't mean to imply that average people and amateurs can't provide insight, but it's just not something I've had a lot of positive experience with. Clearly most viewers reacted quite differently to Hale County This Morning, This Evening than I did, but do I honestly care? Not really. It's about me and the art.

If a given user feels that iCM isn't providing value to his or her life and cinema experiences but another site is, then I'd say I'm thrilled that individual found something that works! Enjoy! Live happily ever after in peace and pleasure. It's just not everyone is looking for the same things.

And yeah, when I was doing Twitter, I sort of felt like I had to be glued to it or I'd miss out that key piece to the 'conversation'. Then I realized there really wasn't a conversation: just everyone suddenly walking out on the street and saying whatever they wanted to say from "I just ate a piece of Mom's apple pie." to "E=MC^2". But then when a friend visits my home, I turn the TV, computer, radio, etc off and just talk to my friend. (Might leave music on for a party, but it's been about 20 years since the last of those.)

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 3345
Joined: Dec 23, 2012
Contact:

#154

Post by Onderhond » October 27th, 2019, 9:33 am

xianjiro wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 6:09 am
I would sure be interested in knowing what other movie sites people are using and why they are choosing them.
Some of the Dutch/Belgian people here are on MovieMeter, which has a relatively vibrant community. Then again, that site has always been discussion-first, with a strong focus on the discussion area below each film. The option to filter "reviews" from the general discussion also helped a lot.

In comparison, a site like Letterboxd still "hides" its reviews behind extra clicks. So far the Letterboxd experience is nice (mostly faster than ICM) and rather effortless, but I don't quite see/get the community aspect there. There's following and liking, but very little conversation. Which is a shame because in the end that's what I like best. Finding people with similar taste in film is one thing, but reading about other people's views is what interests me the most.

User avatar
St. Gloede
Moderator
Posts: 10314
Joined: May 06, 2011
Contact:

#155

Post by St. Gloede » October 27th, 2019, 12:27 pm

Honestly the only real advantage ICM has is the filtered lists, checked/unchecked especially, which the main competition sites just don't have. List view is also quite great from a functionality perspective, Letterboxd is nicer to look at, IMDb adds in a bit more info (actors), but that's essentially it.

User avatar
Knaldskalle
Moderator
Posts: 9651
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: New Mexico, Trumpistan
Contact:

#156

Post by Knaldskalle » October 27th, 2019, 3:25 pm

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 5:01 am
Maybe this is just me, though. I have similar issues with twitter. Obviously people use twitter and like the way it works but I don't really "get" how it's supposed to work in any way beyond following the tweets of famous people. Posting on twitter feels like yelling into a void, and reading responses to tweets feels like listening to random people yelling into the void.
Very apt description. I closed my Twitter account a couple of years ago for this very reason.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 7065
Joined: Jun 17, 2015
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#157

Post by xianjiro » October 27th, 2019, 7:27 pm

Onderhond wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 9:33 am
xianjiro wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 6:09 am
I would sure be interested in knowing what other movie sites people are using and why they are choosing them.
Some of the Dutch/Belgian people here are on MovieMeter, which has a relatively vibrant community. Then again, that site has always been discussion-first, with a strong focus on the discussion area below each film. The option to filter "reviews" from the general discussion also helped a lot.

In comparison, a site like Letterboxd still "hides" its reviews behind extra clicks. So far the Letterboxd experience is nice (mostly faster than ICM) and rather effortless, but I don't quite see/get the community aspect there. There's following and liking, but very little conversation. Which is a shame because in the end that's what I like best. Finding people with similar taste in film is one thing, but reading about other people's views is what interests me the most.
I assume MovieMeter is in either Dutch or French?

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 30651
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#158

Post by joachimt » October 27th, 2019, 7:46 pm

xianjiro wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 7:27 pm
Onderhond wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 9:33 am
xianjiro wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 6:09 am
I would sure be interested in knowing what other movie sites people are using and why they are choosing them.
Some of the Dutch/Belgian people here are on MovieMeter, which has a relatively vibrant community. Then again, that site has always been discussion-first, with a strong focus on the discussion area below each film. The option to filter "reviews" from the general discussion also helped a lot.

In comparison, a site like Letterboxd still "hides" its reviews behind extra clicks. So far the Letterboxd experience is nice (mostly faster than ICM) and rather effortless, but I don't quite see/get the community aspect there. There's following and liking, but very little conversation. Which is a shame because in the end that's what I like best. Finding people with similar taste in film is one thing, but reading about other people's views is what interests me the most.
I assume MovieMeter is in either Dutch or French?
Dutch
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
fori
Posts: 1258
Joined: Aug 24, 2014
Contact:

#159

Post by fori » October 27th, 2019, 8:40 pm

St. Gloede wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 12:27 pm
Honestly the only real advantage ICM has is the filtered lists, checked/unchecked especially, which the main competition sites just don't have. List view is also quite great from a functionality perspective, Letterboxd is nicer to look at, IMDb adds in a bit more info (actors), but that's essentially it.
Actually Letterboxd has this function, it is called “fade watched films”.

User avatar
St. Gloede
Moderator
Posts: 10314
Joined: May 06, 2011
Contact:

#160

Post by St. Gloede » October 27th, 2019, 8:50 pm

fori wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 8:40 pm
St. Gloede wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 12:27 pm
Honestly the only real advantage ICM has is the filtered lists, checked/unchecked especially, which the main competition sites just don't have. List view is also quite great from a functionality perspective, Letterboxd is nicer to look at, IMDb adds in a bit more info (actors), but that's essentially it.
Actually Letterboxd has this function, it is called “fade watched films”.
Thanks, really good to know, found it. :cheers:

Though it is two clicks rather than one click away. Not user friendly for such a vital function.

Post Reply