Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 16 released September 13th)
Polls: Romance (Results), 1951 (Results), 500<400 (Sep 23rd), 2008 (Oct 4th)
Challenges: Animation, Silent Era, Russia/USSR
Film of the Week: L'inhumaine, October nominations (Sep 25th)
World Cup S4: QF Schedule, Match QFB: India vs Greece (Sep 20th), Match QFC: Germany vs Italy (Oct 1st)

Everything you want to ask about IMDb ...

xianjiro
Donator

Everything you want to ask about IMDb ...

Post by xianjiro » March 23rd, 2019, 4:10 am

... but are afraid to know

Just a general thread for IMDb questions, comments, idle gossip, chit chat, bug queries, etc.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 23rd, 2019, 4:11 am

So, I can't seem to rate movies on IMDb tonight. Anyone else having issues?

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » March 23rd, 2019, 4:21 am

xianjiro wrote:
March 23rd, 2019, 4:11 am
So, I can't seem to rate movies on IMDb tonight. Anyone else having issues?
Yeah it was mentioned in another thread. It's only in reference view, which doesn't bode well for those of us who still use it.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 23rd, 2019, 4:30 am

okay, thanks -- no idea which other thread fit, so that's why I started this one

sol can find me here

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » March 23rd, 2019, 4:37 am

I don't remember where it was. This thread has good potential, though, imdb is always making something worse.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » March 23rd, 2019, 4:55 am

I'm not sure if I'm annoyed or impressed that you didn't go with "But were afraid to ask" as the tagline. But it's definitely one of those two. :P

sol
Donator

Post by sol » March 23rd, 2019, 5:53 am

This might be a sign that they are finally going to can Reference View. That's a shame, but I guess I don't really use the site much these days anyway unless I am looking for specific information that I can't get off iCM or Letterboxd.

And I don't know if it's the quickest way to do it, but I rated the latest two films that I saw on IMDb by clicking on the director's filmography, sorting by votes and then rating from there.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 23rd, 2019, 7:45 am

for a while I was using my phone (yeah, I actually traded in the cuneiform tablet and stylus for a 'smart'phone) and couldn't be bothered logging into IMDb - well "for a while" was like three views - but I got so annoyed with the bs alternative that I gave up and logged in

VIVA REFERENCE VIEW! (I'm an IMDb Luddite and I don't care who knows it!)

So, going to try Sol's workaround - anything's better than losing reference view!

sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 23rd, 2019, 8:36 am

see https://getsatisfaction.com/imdb/topics ... ate-titles

another reported work around is to use the IMDb Android App

sol can find me here

sol
Donator

Post by sol » March 23rd, 2019, 9:21 am

Fixed. That was quick! :sweat: I guess *sometimes* the IMDb folks do listen...
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 23rd, 2019, 11:23 am

I stopped using reference view a few years ago, I was pretty religious about reference view but then it just got annoying to use. I hate all the emphasis on pointless images and star meters, and the endless scrolling for useful information but I’ve just gotten used to it now.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » March 23rd, 2019, 2:52 pm

sol wrote:
March 23rd, 2019, 9:21 am
Fixed. That was quick! :sweat: I guess *sometimes* the IMDb folks do listen...
I think it's because it affected the mobile site as well.

Torgo

Post by Torgo » August 23rd, 2020, 11:18 pm

Ok, this is a weird one: The Last Full Measure (2019)

The film shows no ratings for me and even has the area where the rating usually shows completely missing. -> Screenshot on Imgur

It's not a small film or anything, has 160 reviews - most of them, ironically, with a IMDb rating - a legit metascore, Rotten Tomatoes page et cetera; looks like a bug.
A bug I never had in all my years on IMDb, so I felt like sharing. I invite you to confirm, disprove or comment!

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » August 23rd, 2020, 11:44 pm

Torgo wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 11:18 pm
Ok, this is a weird one: The Last Full Measure (2019)

The film shows no ratings for me and even has the area where the rating usually shows completely missing. -> Screenshot on Imgur

It's not a small film or anything, has 160 reviews - most of them, ironically, with a IMDb rating - a legit metascore, Rotten Tomatoes page et cetera; looks like a bug.
A bug I never had in all my years on IMDb, so I felt like sharing. I invite you to confirm, disprove or comment!
Yeah that's strange. I think I have seen it before though, or something like it; there was an Indian film, Vishwaroopam (2013) which had a rating of something like 9.8-9.9 just after it came out, with over 10k votes, and it was clear that when it hit 25k it would debut very high on the top 250, possibly at #1. Can't have that! So they wiped the ratings, made them invisible - whatever they do - and for a good couple of years it showed as having no ratings, I guess until it was no longer a threat to dethrone The Dark Knight and Shawshank - clearly no furrin film can ever be truly competitive at the highest levels of True Cinema Ratings. I don't know for sure if the main page and ratings pages looked exactly the same as what you're linking but I'm pretty sure the reference view was similar - I think you could look at the ratings view and see them but I'm not sure anymore, never really kept track of that shit or did screenshots or anything.

What's weird in this case is that the reviews look "normal" - lots of 10s, mostly very positive, but nothing totally bizarre, no indication that it would have some ridiculous rating. So in this particular case I'd guess it's just a bug.

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » August 25th, 2020, 7:11 pm

FWIW it's got a rating now that I can see (didn't notice this thread when you first posted, so don't know when it came back): 6.7 from 5320 votes. Could indeed have been a temporary bug. :shrug:

Torgo

Post by Torgo » August 26th, 2020, 11:52 am

Ah, thanks for getting back to me; I checked the page the day before and the voting section didn't return until then, so it must have lasted for at least a couple of days.
Looks like the most normal film page ever now. What a weird thing to happen.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 26th, 2020, 6:37 pm

AdamH wrote:
August 26th, 2020, 6:27 pm
Any ideas on how to merge two IMDb films if they have the exact same title?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379798/reference and https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379799/reference
https://help.imdb.com/article/contribut ... art_nav_17#
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » August 26th, 2020, 7:31 pm

joachimt wrote:
August 26th, 2020, 6:37 pm
AdamH wrote:
August 26th, 2020, 6:27 pm
Any ideas on how to merge two IMDb films if they have the exact same title?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379798/reference and https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379799/reference
https://help.imdb.com/article/contribut ... art_nav_17#
Thanks, I had seen that but wasn't sure if it would work when they already have the same title but I guess it would as one will be listed as (1920) (II).

I'm confused because it's listed with the April and September release dates on http://www.intanibase.com/ but surely a studio wouldn't release a film with the exam same title five months after the first one? Details are identical on IMDb and intanibase for both films except release date.

Edit: Did a bit of research online and it appears the studio actually did release two shorts with an identical title in the same year so I won't merge them.

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » August 27th, 2020, 5:38 am

I've tried to merge titles a few times and never have been successful.

I discovered this just the other night:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2150395/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2088837/

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 27th, 2020, 4:54 pm

I merged Immigrants and Emigrants with success not so long ago.
ICM-profile

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » August 28th, 2020, 6:32 am

Submitted these for a merge. I've only merged a couple of films ever but it has worked.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » August 28th, 2020, 9:12 am

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 6:32 am
Submitted these for a merge. I've only merged a couple of films ever but it has worked.
How long does it normally take? The one I recently submitted has not yet merged but runtimes tend to update very quickly. I've been watching a lot of old shorts and adding runtimes.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » August 28th, 2020, 4:09 pm

AdamH wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 9:12 am
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 6:32 am
How long does it normally take? The one I recently submitted has not yet merged but runtimes tend to update very quickly. I've been watching a lot of old shorts and adding runtimes.
Merging definitely take longer than any other updates, probably because it's something that can't be reasonably undone and messes with the database in more fundamental ways. A few days, less than a week sounds about right. I don't know if Covid has had any impact on them.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 28th, 2020, 7:12 pm

I think it was about a week last time I did it.
ICM-profile

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » August 30th, 2020, 11:51 pm

Does anyone else enjoy being the 5th voter? i.e. rating a title that has no visible rating and pushing it into being shown?
currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists (besides TV): ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » August 31st, 2020, 4:56 am

Me! But I also enjoy when other people are the 5th voter :D Seeing films with no rating on imdb makes me sadder than seeing films with only a single check on icm.

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » August 31st, 2020, 6:24 am

I didn't know five ratings was the threshold.

Torgo

Post by Torgo » September 4th, 2020, 1:13 pm

I don't know where to drop this, so I'll just leave this here:
Sadak 2, Indian film with a rating of 1.0 at 53.000 votes. Perfectly normal voting behavior over there, again. :mellow:

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » September 4th, 2020, 1:27 pm

It's related to the upvoting of Dil Bechara, it seems. Something about that film's star Rajput's suicide. I don't understand the whole story, but that's a coordinated effort trolling. Over 600 reviews (most 1-star), and each one has a couple hundred "likes".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sadak_2#T ... _reception

And I learned a new term today. Vote brigading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vote_brigading

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » September 6th, 2020, 6:48 pm

Does anyone understand why the episodes of Canadian Army Newsreel can't be rated?
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12961302/
ICM-profile

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » September 6th, 2020, 7:49 pm

joachimt wrote:
September 6th, 2020, 6:48 pm
Does anyone understand why the episodes of Canadian Army Newsreel can't be rated?
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12961302/
It probably needs a release date in order to vote for it. I've had the problem before in which I couldn't rate an episode, but after adding a release date to an episode then I was able to vote for it once its updated.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » September 6th, 2020, 7:51 pm

Okay, let's try one before I add the other 105.
ICM-profile

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » September 7th, 2020, 12:43 pm

It works. I'll add releaseyears for all of them. I found years on Youtube at the clips uploaded by Library and Archives Canada.
ICM-profile