Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 16 released September 13th)
Polls: Romance (Results), 1951 (Results), 500<400 (Sep 23rd), 2008 (Oct 4th)
Challenges: Animation, Silent Era, Russia/USSR
Film of the Week: L'inhumaine, October nominations (Sep 25th)
World Cup S4: QF Schedule, Match QFB: India vs Greece (Sep 20th), Match QFC: Germany vs Italy (Oct 1st)

iCheckMovies - Most Checked

fori

iCheckMovies - Most Checked

Post by fori » January 2nd, 2019, 2:46 am

I think this list should be deleted. Due to the sheer number of dead accounts and users who have left the site, newer films can never get onto this list. The highest ranked movie after 2012 is The Wolf of Wall Street at 344. Did 20000 more people on icm watch Click than Interstellar? Really?

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » January 2nd, 2019, 2:53 am

I think it might be nice if icm deactivated accounts that hadn’t been active in 2 years or something and then made their rank and checks dark until they login again. I like the idea of the list but yea I’m confused about some of the entries as well; The Devil Wears Prada??
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

fori

Post by fori » January 2nd, 2019, 2:58 am

Was about edit my post, looking at box office The Force Awakens is a more compelling example than interstellar. Something like that might also be nice, but I’d say make just take their check count away instead. Many of these users may have created valuable lists or comments. Leave everything intact in case they decide to return or others find it useful.

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » January 2nd, 2019, 6:35 am

mightysparks wrote:
January 2nd, 2019, 2:53 am
I think it might be nice if icm deactivated accounts that hadn’t been active in 2 years or something and then made their rank and checks dark until they login again. I like the idea of the list but yea I’m confused about some of the entries as well; The Devil Wears Prada??
dunno maybe thats just me but i would find it nice / comforting or something if my account would remain even decades (or forever) after my death if the site is still alive
maybe if they went grey after 5 years? or just checks wouldnt count for that but the ranking remains? :P havent managed to find dark users rank myself so that would be nice tho i wonder would it be too time consuming / space taking vs the people who would be interested in that

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » January 2nd, 2019, 10:02 am

Checkcount for movies always includes dark users as well, so the problem with the Most Checked list won't be solved by setting inactive accounts to dark. It will need some extra coding or something.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

albajos

Post by albajos » January 2nd, 2019, 10:07 am

The focus should be to get more new users to the site and this would resolve itself.

ChrisReynolds
Donator

Post by ChrisReynolds » January 2nd, 2019, 3:04 pm

Maybe it could be changed to "most checked over the past two years" (or whatever seems a sensible amount of time). I don't know how easy that would be to calculate.

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » January 2nd, 2019, 3:08 pm

ChrisReynolds wrote:
January 2nd, 2019, 3:04 pm
Maybe it could be changed to "most checked over the past two years" (or whatever seems a sensible amount of time). I don't know how easy that would be to calculate.
it would be heavily in favor of films from the past 5 years then tho since the older more actives have checked

Torgo

Post by Torgo » September 1st, 2020, 8:29 pm

Just stumbled upon this as well. Have a look at the list yourself: Sorted by year

It instantly seemed too odd to me that, for example, Toy Story 3 is #37 for the most checked movies of all time while there's not even remotely Interstellar on. (For reference: TS3 has 740k Votes on IMDb while Interstellar has 1,450,000 (which is enormous!). Avengers 3+4 have 800k/750k votes.)

Any other ideas for a solution to this problem?

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » September 1st, 2020, 9:12 pm

Torgo wrote:
September 1st, 2020, 8:29 pm
Any other ideas for a solution to this problem?
Get more active users on ICM. That's about all you can do. :shrug:

Torgo

Post by Torgo » September 2nd, 2020, 2:40 am

Funnily enough, if you ditch the list at all (which I don't promote), the only film to lose its official status would be Kick-Ass.
Then there's Zombieland which would be saved by the TSZ list.
After that come quite a few movies which are official only thanks to equally appearing on the same 3 lists: Most checked + both of the box office lists .. so, let's hope for them that things stay the way the are. :whistling:

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » September 2nd, 2020, 5:00 am

While I won't join any call to pull the list, it doesn't seem to move very much: it feels like a list from the heyday or something. Will anything ever move TDK from the top of the list? Yes, more iCMers is one option, but not really certain if that's the issue since I've never seen any kind of stats. It would be lovely to know how many checks-per-month compared to last year and five years ago.

What I think I'd rather see, is a new list that tells what people are busy checking right now (though of course right now isn't as immediate as it sounds). It would be interesting see something like Last Month's/Last Quarter's/Last Year's Top 100 based on checked received in that period. But only seeing examples like those would make it possible to tell if such an option would be useful.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » September 2nd, 2020, 5:36 am

Yeah, I think something like 'Most checked of [last year]' could be interesting. I think iCM probably doesn't have quite enough activity to make a smaller length of time that meaningful, but 'last month' would also be nice if there is. It's sad to see the list so static.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Chilton

Post by Chilton » September 4th, 2020, 6:26 pm

or make inactive accounts' checks private and only count the checks from the active users?