Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 16 released September 13th)
Polls: Romance (Results), 1951 (Results), 500<400 (Sep 23rd), 2008 (Oct 4th)
Challenges: Animation, Silent Era, Russia/USSR
Film of the Week: L'inhumaine, October nominations (Sep 25th)
World Cup S4: QF Schedule, Match QFB: India vs Greece (Sep 20th), Match QFC: Germany vs Italy (Oct 1st)

Post your ICM ranking

User avatar
MilenaFlaherty
Posts: 50
Joined: Aug 25, 2013
Location: Dallas,TX, USA
Contact:

Re: Post your ICM ranking

#5641

Post by MilenaFlaherty » February 17th, 2020, 8:03 pm

I gained 53 official checks but my ranking still went down.

User avatar
OldAle1
Donator
Posts: 4815
Joined: Feb 09, 2017
Location: Dairyland, USA
Contact:

#5642

Post by OldAle1 » February 17th, 2020, 8:07 pm

MilenaFlaherty wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 8:03 pm
I gained 53 official checks but my ranking still went down.
I think I gained 66 and also lost in ranking (only 1 spot though). Lot of people out there who have seen the vast majority of all the box office hits.

User avatar
Leopardi
Donator
Posts: 1492
Joined: Feb 04, 2012
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Contact:

#5643

Post by Leopardi » February 17th, 2020, 8:21 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 8:07 pm
MilenaFlaherty wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 8:03 pm
I gained 53 official checks but my ranking still went down.
I think I gained 66 and also lost in ranking (only 1 spot though). Lot of people out there who have seen the vast majority of all the box office hits.
Yeah, I thought I was safe, I gained 121 or 122 checks and was more than 20 checks ahead of winds (the person right behind me) but still managed to drop in rank (by one spot). Some people really have their blockbusters covered!

User avatar
Coryn
Posts: 1113
Joined: Dec 05, 2018
Contact:

#5644

Post by Coryn » February 17th, 2020, 9:04 pm

67 places down for me.
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?

User avatar
Ebbywebby
Posts: 3447
Joined: Sep 10, 2012
Location: Orange County, CA
Contact:

#5645

Post by Ebbywebby » February 17th, 2020, 9:11 pm

I plunged down three slots, because I skip so many of the "blockbusters." Three slots doesn't sound like much, but when you have a relatively high rank (#122 --> #125), such sharp movements are rare.

[edit: make that down four slots, not three...my lowest rank in quite a long time]
Last edited by Ebbywebby on February 18th, 2020, 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
OldAle1
Donator
Posts: 4815
Joined: Feb 09, 2017
Location: Dairyland, USA
Contact:

#5646

Post by OldAle1 » February 17th, 2020, 9:12 pm

Leopardi wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 8:21 pm
OldAle1 wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 8:07 pm
MilenaFlaherty wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 8:03 pm
I gained 53 official checks but my ranking still went down.
I think I gained 66 and also lost in ranking (only 1 spot though). Lot of people out there who have seen the vast majority of all the box office hits.
Yeah, I thought I was safe, I gained 121 or 122 checks and was more than 20 checks ahead of winds (the person right behind me) but still managed to drop in rank (by one spot). Some people really have their blockbusters covered!
Darth-whatever, the guy who was going on so much about the box office lists, must have gained a lot of spots. Hope s/he is happy.

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 32218
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#5647

Post by joachimt » February 17th, 2020, 9:18 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 9:12 pm
Darth-whatever, the guy who was going on so much about the box office lists, must have gained a lot of spots. Hope s/he is happy.
218 -> 216
Not a lot.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 9493
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#5648

Post by sol » February 18th, 2020, 10:58 am

tazz_85 wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 5:21 pm
sol wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 11:59 am
Some pretty crazy ranking shifts in the latest update.

The result of the box office lists expanding to 1000?
wow, you're right. didn't notice it till now

i jumped about 186 places up, with only a handful official checks last weekend
Easy come, easy go. :mellow: Already down one spot on my rise, though still one higher than before the Box Office lists update.

Image

(that's 175, not 2016, I didn't fall that much)
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 9493
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#5649

Post by sol » February 18th, 2020, 11:09 am

OldAle1 wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 8:07 pm
Lot of people out there who have seen the vast majority of all the box office hits.
I've always wondered about this... but I guess the average non-cinephile is going to see all of the big blockbusters at some stage (cinema, Netflix) just as a matter of the course of their limited engagement with cinema. The box office hits are probably the most well known films to the average punter.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 8164
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#5650

Post by maxwelldeux » February 18th, 2020, 11:08 pm

sol wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 11:09 am
OldAle1 wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 8:07 pm
Lot of people out there who have seen the vast majority of all the box office hits.
I've always wondered about this... but I guess the average non-cinephile is going to see all of the big blockbusters at some stage (cinema, Netflix) just as a matter of the course of their limited engagement with cinema. The box office hits are probably the most well known films to the average punter.
Well hell. That was me ~4 years ago. That was one of the earliest lists I had gotten a bronze on. When in doubt, watch something that nearly everyone has seen. :shrug:

User avatar
MilenaFlaherty
Posts: 50
Joined: Aug 25, 2013
Location: Dallas,TX, USA
Contact:

#5651

Post by MilenaFlaherty » February 22nd, 2020, 1:00 pm

All-time world box office is my second lowest ranking. I've only seen 35% of them. I think it will be hard for me to ever get a bronze .I'll usually see the
originals but then with all the sequels and remakes I get bored.

User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 9493
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#5652

Post by sol » February 23rd, 2020, 1:47 am

Back up one spot... for now. :pinch:

Image
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

User avatar
72aicm
Donator
Posts: 3284
Joined: Nov 13, 2016
Contact:

#5653

Post by 72aicm » March 1st, 2020, 8:18 am

Image

User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 9493
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#5654

Post by sol » March 2nd, 2020, 7:49 am

Lost some Official checks with IW being ditched, but gained some from the new Latin America list to finish up a single spot overall.

Image
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 9493
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#5655

Post by sol » March 3rd, 2020, 3:32 pm

I don't know who went dark on page 4, but I can return to the Canada theme once again... for now. :whistling:

Image
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image


User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 9493
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#5657

Post by sol » March 14th, 2020, 4:46 am

Seems like my image above is no longer loading. It was rank #171. I'm now up two spots to a nice aspect ratio. :)

Image
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 30871
Joined: May 05, 2011
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#5658

Post by mightysparks » March 14th, 2020, 4:57 am

Depressing since I was once nearly in the top 50...

Image
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image

User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 4847
Joined: Dec 23, 2012
Contact:

#5659

Post by Onderhond » March 18th, 2020, 6:43 pm

When life gives you lemons

Image

Mostly because I've been slowly going through some animation/shorts lists.
Last edited by Onderhond on April 27th, 2020, 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
frbrown
Posts: 6305
Joined: Nov 01, 2011
Contact:

#5660

Post by frbrown » March 31st, 2020, 11:03 pm

Image



With 3596 official checks

User avatar
clemmetarey
Donator
Posts: 2360
Joined: Nov 20, 2011
Contact:

#5661

Post by clemmetarey » April 2nd, 2020, 1:04 am

I went from 584 on January 1rst to 591 as of right now.

Image

I checked 51 officials titles in that time, and I may have got one or two more from the new lists. Funny to think I've reach the point where checking 1 official title every two days isn't enough to clim the ranking (not that I really care anymore mind you).

User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 9493
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#5662

Post by sol » April 4th, 2020, 12:10 pm

The new Official Lists have served me well with checks gained, even if none of the award images are working yet. :ermm:

Image
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 32218
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#5663

Post by joachimt » April 20th, 2020, 11:24 am

Been a while since I had a significant change. I've got a new highest peak of my ranking.

Image
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 9493
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#5664

Post by sol » April 27th, 2020, 12:04 pm

Shh... don't tell weirdboy and psychotronicbeatnik that I recently overtook them. :ph43r:

Image
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

User avatar
Tim2460
Posts: 2512
Joined: Oct 01, 2018
Location: Dijon, France
Contact:

#5665

Post by Tim2460 » April 27th, 2020, 12:58 pm

I think i have reach the higher i'll ever get @ICM :

Everyone above seems to look even more film than me hehe
And i have watched almost all the short shorts... :facepalm:

Image

Back to award hunting and Top 75 Goal ! :hmph:

User avatar
Tasselfoot
Posts: 465
Joined: May 06, 2014
Contact:

#5666

Post by Tasselfoot » April 27th, 2020, 1:47 pm

Tasselfoot wrote:
September 19th, 2017, 1:22 pm
Jul 25, 2014: 1463
Oct 13, 2014: 996
Jan 30, 2015: 735
Oct 25, 2015: 499
May 7, 2016: 399
Sept 6, 2016: 299
April 17, 2017: 250
Hit 200th with this post, Sept 19th, 2017. Think I peaked around 184, maybe?
Dropped to 236th, but slowly climbing back... 232nd now. Was gone for about 500 days, at (conservatively) 2 films/day... had I not taken a break, would be around 130th.

User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 4847
Joined: Dec 23, 2012
Contact:

#5667

Post by Onderhond » April 27th, 2020, 1:56 pm

Image

Shorts are a cheap way to rise up the rankings it seems. I say cheap and not easy, because damn there's a lot of terrible stuff there ...

User avatar
Ebbywebby
Posts: 3447
Joined: Sep 10, 2012
Location: Orange County, CA
Contact:

#5668

Post by Ebbywebby » April 27th, 2020, 9:43 pm

Onderhond wrote:
April 27th, 2020, 1:56 pm
Shorts are a cheap way to rise up the rankings it seems. I say cheap and not easy, because damn there's a lot of terrible stuff there ...
Even if I had seen ZERO official shorts, I'd only drop about 188 slots and still would be ranked in the top 320. I don't feel any shame.

Obgeoff
Posts: 444
Joined: May 29, 2019
Contact:

#5669

Post by Obgeoff » April 27th, 2020, 9:48 pm

Obgeoff wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 12:31 pm
1571

Think I've gone up roughly 300 roughly places in the last 6 months but no way of checking.
Just over 10 months later, I'm at 901.
Image

User avatar
72aicm
Donator
Posts: 3284
Joined: Nov 13, 2016
Contact:

#5670

Post by 72aicm » April 28th, 2020, 4:56 am

I’m back!

Image

mathiasa
Posts: 2542
Joined: Aug 18, 2013
Contact:

#5671

Post by mathiasa » May 2nd, 2020, 6:46 pm

Image

:party: :party: Very proud to have overtaken mightysparks. :party: :party:

Take care, or you'll be next!

mathiasa
Posts: 2542
Joined: Aug 18, 2013
Contact:

#5672

Post by mathiasa » May 2nd, 2020, 6:49 pm

Onderhond wrote:
April 27th, 2020, 1:56 pm
Image

Shorts are a cheap way to rise up the rankings it seems. I say cheap and not easy, because damn there's a lot of terrible stuff there ...
Watching terrible stuff comes easy to you? This explains a lot .... :lol:


Seriously, short movies are a legit form of art and there's also terrible stuff that's feature-length.

User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 4847
Joined: Dec 23, 2012
Contact:

#5673

Post by Onderhond » May 2nd, 2020, 7:12 pm

mathiasa wrote:
May 2nd, 2020, 6:49 pm
Watching terrible stuff comes easy to you? This explains a lot .... :lol:

Seriously, short movies are a legit form of art and there's also terrible stuff that's feature-length.
Oh, not really a knock on shorts, just the official ones here.

mathiasa
Posts: 2542
Joined: Aug 18, 2013
Contact:

#5674

Post by mathiasa » May 4th, 2020, 10:10 am

Onderhond wrote:
May 2nd, 2020, 7:12 pm
mathiasa wrote:
May 2nd, 2020, 6:49 pm
Watching terrible stuff comes easy to you? This explains a lot .... :lol:

Seriously, short movies are a legit form of art and there's also terrible stuff that's feature-length.
Oh, not really a knock on shorts, just the official ones here.
Ok, can‘t argue that. There‘s indeed a lot of boring feminist/wanna be avant-garde/postmodern/blabla stuff around. As I‘m writing this, I‘m watching „Pull My Daisies“, a leftover from last months 50s challenge. It‘s very boring. But a lot of this stuff has „historical value“. This one fe exemplifies the beat generation. As it seems, the official history of the last 60 years sucked a bit, that‘s why we‘re not getting better stuff. It‘s sad.

User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 4847
Joined: Dec 23, 2012
Contact:

#5675

Post by Onderhond » May 4th, 2020, 12:24 pm

mathiasa wrote:
May 4th, 2020, 10:10 am
But a lot of this stuff has „historical value“.
That seems to be the main story with most "official" shorts. Probably because they're also drawing from very similar sources (TSPDT/S&S), which inflates the numbers for those kinds of shorts. But even the Annecy lists seems overly focused on that, which was really disappointing. I do understand that it's a very difficult area to cover though, as much as I've liked certain short films (also a big fan of anthologies), I've never found a good way to dig for good shorts I haven't seen/heard of.

User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 30871
Joined: May 05, 2011
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#5676

Post by mightysparks » May 4th, 2020, 12:31 pm

mathiasa wrote:
May 2nd, 2020, 6:46 pm
Image

:party: :party: Very proud to have overtaken mightysparks. :party: :party:

Take care, or you'll be next!
:run:
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image

User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 30871
Joined: May 05, 2011
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#5677

Post by mightysparks » May 4th, 2020, 12:33 pm

Onderhond wrote:
May 4th, 2020, 12:24 pm
mathiasa wrote:
May 4th, 2020, 10:10 am
But a lot of this stuff has „historical value“.
That seems to be the main story with most "official" shorts. Probably because they're also drawing from very similar sources (TSPDT/S&S), which inflates the numbers for those kinds of shorts. But even the Annecy lists seems overly focused on that, which was really disappointing. I do understand that it's a very difficult area to cover though, as much as I've liked certain short films (also a big fan of anthologies), I've never found a good way to dig for good shorts I haven't seen/heard of.
Yeah, I actually had seen maybe like 5 short films before joining iCM and for years I thought I hated shorts because I only watched official ones (some are great, though). Since I started finding shorts on my own, I've definitely grown to appreciate them more.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image

User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 4847
Joined: Dec 23, 2012
Contact:

#5678

Post by Onderhond » May 4th, 2020, 12:46 pm

There are some nifty horror shorts out there, that's for sure. We have/had monthly horror nights in our cinema (in coop with BIFFF) where they would show a short before the main film. Usually it ended up being better than the main film too. But yeah, that's about 12 shorts/year, not going to get much wiser that way :D

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 32218
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#5679

Post by joachimt » May 4th, 2020, 2:35 pm

Onderhond wrote:
May 4th, 2020, 12:24 pm
mathiasa wrote:
May 4th, 2020, 10:10 am
But a lot of this stuff has „historical value“.
That seems to be the main story with most "official" shorts. Probably because they're also drawing from very similar sources (TSPDT/S&S), which inflates the numbers for those kinds of shorts.
I don't think mathiasa was talking about the shorts on TSPDT or S&S. You can't use the same argument every time.

Of the 1817 official shorts on iCM, only 24 are on TSPDT. 11 of those 24 are also on our forum's favourite movies. Those 24 shorts are not there because of historical significance. The 1817 official shorts come from a lot of different lists, but there are a few lists that have a lot more shorts than other lists. The lists with a lot of shorts are not canon lists, but they indeed include shorts for historical significance in some cases. I really fail to see the connection with canon/TSPDT/S&S in this.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

mathiasa
Posts: 2542
Joined: Aug 18, 2013
Contact:

#5680

Post by mathiasa » May 4th, 2020, 3:13 pm

mightysparks wrote:
May 4th, 2020, 12:33 pm
Onderhond wrote:
May 4th, 2020, 12:24 pm
mathiasa wrote:
May 4th, 2020, 10:10 am
But a lot of this stuff has „historical value“.
That seems to be the main story with most "official" shorts. Probably because they're also drawing from very similar sources (TSPDT/S&S), which inflates the numbers for those kinds of shorts. But even the Annecy lists seems overly focused on that, which was really disappointing. I do understand that it's a very difficult area to cover though, as much as I've liked certain short films (also a big fan of anthologies), I've never found a good way to dig for good shorts I haven't seen/heard of.
Yeah, I actually had seen maybe like 5 short films before joining iCM and for years I thought I hated shorts because I only watched official ones (some are great, though). Since I started finding shorts on my own, I've definitely grown to appreciate them more.
I've seen quite a few shorts before I joined icm. In school we watched powers of ten, which I think is fantastic. Then we had teachers we were fans of Wallce & Gromit. Then we watched shitty Eduitainment that belonged due to its runtime to shorts. In a city near to Zurich, Winterthur, there were 2 short film festival, the bigger one, The Internationale Kurzfilmtage Winterthur (international short film days of Winterhur.) I went there a couple of times in the end 90s and beginning 00s but found the selection of short films not very good. Their audience was elderly left-wing people of the middle to upper class who didn't really care that much for movies.
The other one, rather small, punk-style Organisation with a daring selection of shorts, was much more to my likings. They even had one evening, after the scheduled program was over, an open-night amateur show, everybody from the audience could present their own work. That was great. But it had a drawback, it was abused by lonesome travellers to show their holiday picture. One guy had to be stopped after 40 minutes. Well, it was a moment never to forget. Sadly, this festival doesn't last.
I also watched the cineastic tv shows that run late in the night and showed obscure short movies. This way I got acquainted with the short work of Brakhage, I even had him on VHS. When I joined ICM i had no idea that I already knew this guy, only when many years later, a friend showed me this VHS i realized.
Also I saw a lot of the cartoon from Luney Tunes, daffy duck and roadrunner on tv.
I was also a little bit acquainted with the first movies ever made, (pre)-Lumière stuff, and they count also as shorts.
So, I've seen a lot of the good ICM shorts already, while the one's I didn't knew often weren't that good.
It probably has a lot to do with age, regarding the question how many shorts you've seen at the point you're joining icm.
I'm happy you found places where you find good shorts. I have to say, I'm not that lucky, then again, I'm not so much interested in non-official stuff. In Zurich we now have since a few years the Short Film Nights, I join them when I'm not at the hospital. This year of course they don't happen because of corona-regulation. They always have a a couple of great unofficial shorts and about 1 or 2 not so good official shorts.


There are also sub-categories of shorts that everybody has seen: music video. Only very few of them are official now, and I believe they deserve their own list.
And I agree with @onderhond that there are many good horror shorts, who sadly often don't even have a chance in 400<500 or DTC. It would be possible to get a quality official list of horror shorts. This would help with the good/bad ratio of official shorts, which is now really not good.

Post Reply