Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Animation (Results), 2016 awards (Aug 25th), 1987 (Aug 25th), Benelux (Aug 30th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Romance, UK/Ireland, <400 Checks
Film of the Week: Hospital, September nominations (Aug 30th)

Adding films to IMDB

Ebbywebby

Adding films to IMDB

Post by Ebbywebby » March 7th, 2018, 2:31 am

I'm just curious how comfortable others are with adding films to the IMDB database. There is a pile of experimental films that I'd love to add, but it seems like you practically have to be involved with a film's production to know all the data the site requires for submission. :satstunned:

I've added over 300 running times to IMDB (for purposes of getting them transferred over here), but never an entire film.

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » March 7th, 2018, 2:46 am

It's very easy and not too time consuming if you just do the bare minimum. I don't think anyone human checks new submissions. You just need two outside-imdb "official" sites, which can just be about anything from an entry on another database network, to social media pages, to youtube clips.

New Title Form (keeping the link here for myself)
Last edited by Carmel1379 on March 7th, 2018, 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » March 7th, 2018, 7:38 am

Just hit the box "provide explanation" if you don't have enough info.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 7th, 2018, 10:55 am

There are only two things that bother me a lot: 1) collecting the information from the credits and 2) deciding which Bob Smith is the right Bob Smith (though usually I select whatever equates to "let IMDb decide" since I've no fricken idea if it's a new Bob Smith who worked as second assistant to the best boy or if happens to be the same Bob Smith who worked in costuming department as fourth assistant to the thread puller on the director's prior film).

I'm not exactly sure what is absolutely required to get a film in the database other than title and year. I sort of think they make a big thing out of release date, but I also haven't added a new title in quite some time - some will beat me to it if I wait long enough. ;)

Anyway, the key is to not let the five hundred drop-downs overwhelm you - most can be left blank and after you run the first check of data entered, you'll know exactly what it required.

And yes, if you can provide a link to video online - which will document everything you've input - IMDb is much happier.

Good luck!
Last edited by xianjiro on March 7th, 2018, 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » March 7th, 2018, 2:28 pm

I add titles fairly regularly, time permitting. I always add features, and even if I don't have that much information, it's always been accepted. This is true even for old obscure Indonesian and Egyptian films I've added. Shorts are harder, as there's usually less information available, but usually as long as the film itself exists online it's fairly straightforward to prove it's legit even if some key info is lacking.

Simba63
Donator

Post by Simba63 » March 7th, 2018, 3:21 pm

Agreed with many posts above. A miscellaneous link to your sources gets the best results. I've been a top 250 contributor the last two years and my changes seem to be processed faster than others. Within 30 minutes in some cases.

insomnius

Post by insomnius » March 7th, 2018, 4:17 pm

joachimt on Mar 7 2018, 12:38:04 AM wrote:Just hit the box "provide explanation" if you don't have enough info.
^This. My standard comment is "no more info found". Works every time as long as you provide a link with proof of its existence.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » March 7th, 2018, 6:49 pm

Simba63 on Mar 7 2018, 08:21:15 AM wrote:Agreed with many posts above. A miscellaneous link to your sources gets the best results. I've been a top 250 contributor the last two years and my changes seem to be processed faster than others. Within 30 minutes in some cases.
Wow! Top 250 contributor. Impressive. Even in my top adding year, I didn't get that far. How many do you add on a yearly basis roughly?
ICM-profile

Simba63
Donator

Post by Simba63 » March 7th, 2018, 10:10 pm

joachimt on Mar 7 2018, 11:49:42 AM wrote:
Simba63 on Mar 7 2018, 08:21:15 AM wrote:Agreed with many posts above. A miscellaneous link to your sources gets the best results. I've been a top 250 contributor the last two years and my changes seem to be processed faster than others. Within 30 minutes in some cases.
Wow! Top 250 contributor. Impressive. Even in my top adding year, I didn't get that far. How many do you add on a yearly basis roughly?
Two years ago it was 31,071 (80th place). Last year it was 14,107 (220th place). This year, I'm dragging. With all the recent changes (in my opinion for the worse) I'm not sure home much longer I'm willing to work for free to keep their data up-to-date.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » March 7th, 2018, 10:25 pm

Simba63 on Mar 7 2018, 03:10:37 PM wrote:
Two years ago it was 31,071 (80th place). Last year it was 14,107 (220th place). This year, I'm dragging. With all the recent changes (in my opinion for the worse) I'm not sure home much longer I'm willing to work for free to keep their data up-to-date.
31k?! Does that include editing as well, for example add or edit a runtime? I can't imagine that's only adding new movies. Still an awful lot though.
ICM-profile

Simba63
Donator

Post by Simba63 » March 8th, 2018, 5:08 pm

joachimt on Mar 7 2018, 03:25:41 PM wrote:
joachimt on Mar 7 2018, 11:49:42 AM wrote:Wow! Top 250 contributor. Impressive. Even in my top adding year, I didn't get that far. How many do you add on a yearly basis roughly?
31k?! Does that include editing as well, for example add or edit a runtime? I can't imagine that's only adding new movies. Still an awful lot though.
Yes, that includes editing as well. A majority of my contributions are adding the credit rolls to each episode of my favorite shows. However, during that process I often add new people, images, plots, titles, etc.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 8th, 2018, 8:15 pm

serious

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Simba63
Donator

Post by Simba63 » March 8th, 2018, 8:56 pm

xianjiro on Mar 8 2018, 01:15:57 PM wrote:
joachimt on Mar 7 2018, 11:49:42 AM wrote:Wow! Top 250 contributor. Impressive. Even in my top adding year, I didn't get that far. How many do you add on a yearly basis roughly?
serious
If you're asking if I'm serious, then yes. If you're stating that it is serious contributing, then yes it is. ;)

My IMDb Profile with contributor badges:

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur0343564/

The IMDb Top Contributors page where you will find me (Simba63) in last two years lists:

https://contribute.imdb.com/czone/hall_of_fame

Yes, it's a labor of love, and I'm not sure how much I love IMDb anymore. :o
Last edited by Simba63 on March 8th, 2018, 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » March 8th, 2018, 11:16 pm

Well, I used everyone's advice and added my first film to IMDB. Woo woo! And now you can check it off on ICM, if you happen to have seen it.... (It's on YouTube.)

https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/sum ... tice-1974/

I doubt I'll get there but, ideally, I'd love to add every missing film cited in the introductory text of this list:
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/chao ... ebbywebby/

There are also some Stan Vanderbeek and William Wegman films I'd like to add.

Simba63
Donator

Post by Simba63 » March 8th, 2018, 11:53 pm

Ebbywebby on Mar 8 2018, 04:16:00 PM wrote:Well, I used everyone's advice and added my first film to IMDB. Woo woo! And now you can check it off on ICM, if you happen to have seen it.... (It's on YouTube.)

I doubt I'll get there but, ideally, I'd love to add every missing film cited in the introductory text of this list:

I might be able to help you out occasionally, if you'd like. All I really require is a link/copy of the title (with credits) or the site that has the credits. :thumbsup:

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 9th, 2018, 2:29 am

Simba63 on Mar 8 2018, 01:56:10 PM wrote:
xianjiro on Mar 8 2018, 01:15:57 PM wrote:
Simba63 on Mar 7 2018, 03:10:37 PM wrote:Two years ago it was 31,071 (80th place). Last year it was 14,107 (220th place). This year, I'm dragging. With all the recent changes (in my opinion for the worse) I'm not sure home much longer I'm willing to work for free to keep their data up-to-date.
serious
If you're asking if I'm serious, then yes. If you're stating that it is serious contributing, then yes it is. ;)

The IMDb Top Contributors page where you will find me (Simba63) in last two years lists:

actually, was thinking more along the lines of what I've highlighted above.

It's a lot of hard work though and you should be properly thanked and congratulated!

sol can find me here

Simba63
Donator

Post by Simba63 » March 9th, 2018, 4:59 pm

xianjiro on Mar 8 2018, 07:29:37 PM wrote:
Simba63 on Mar 8 2018, 01:56:10 PM wrote:
xianjiro on Mar 8 2018, 01:15:57 PM wrote:serious

actually, was thinking more along the lines of what I've highlighted above.

It's a lot of hard work though and you should be properly thanked and congratulated!
Oh, I see. Yes, I guess I should be more thankful. If they had not terminated the message boards I would have never found and ended up here. This is a great site!

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » March 10th, 2018, 11:34 pm

Simba63 on Mar 8 2018, 04:53:15 PM wrote:
Ebbywebby on Mar 8 2018, 04:16:00 PM wrote:Well, I used everyone's advice and added my first film to IMDB. Woo woo! And now you can check it off on ICM, if you happen to have seen it.... (It's on YouTube.)

I might be able to help you out occasionally, if you'd like. All I really require is a link/copy of the title (with credits) or the site that has the credits. :thumbsup:
Well, that would be great! It's not a fun process for me.

So far, I've successfully added these seven films: Summer Solstice (1974), Airborn (1968), A MAL GAM A (1976), Doppler Effect: Version II (1968), SSS (1988), Broken Fall (Organic) (1971) and Broken Fall (Geometric) (1971). So if anyone has seen these, here's your chance for a belated check. I submitted a bare minimum of data about them, because that's really all I know.

There are still 123 more missing films listed in the text at https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/chao ... ebbywebby/.

I've discovered a couple of things, so far.....

1) The adding process doesn't seem to be all at once on IMDB. I goofed with a couple of titles, because I added them to ICM at a point when not all of the fields had been filled in on IMDB. So, "SSS" and "A MAL GAM A" have empty Director fields on ICM as yet. Even though I supplied the directors to IMDB.

2) It's really frustrating that there's a delay on the ICM end too. The films get added to ICM immediately, but then it takes some time before they show up in a search within the process of adding titles to a personal list. And THEN there's a further period where the film shows up in a search, but if you try to add it, you just get a red error box basically saying the film doesn't exist on ICM*.

So...it seems to take a couple of days to entirely finish the process of adding a film to IMDB *and* adding it to a personal ICM list. Tedious. :( Currently, I'm still waiting to be able to add the two "Broken Fall" films to my list.

As for your question about supplying the credits, I've mostly been going by the films' pages on Letterboxd. Then I Google to find another link or two on a case-by-case basis. And I had either seen or found links to stream all the films I added, so I had some basic idea of whether they were color/B&W or silent/sound and the casts (fortunately, these experimental films often have no actors).

If anyone decides to add any of the missing films himself/herself, keep me posted....

==
*Whoops! You have specified movies that have not yet been added to iCheckMovies. The missing movies have automatically been added to the movie import queue. You will automatically receive a notificaton when the movies have been imported, if you have specified so in your notification settings. [Except the movies were already imported...]
Last edited by Ebbywebby on March 11th, 2018, 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » March 12th, 2018, 3:06 am

Ebbywebby on Mar 10 2018, 04:34:08 PM wrote:Currently, I'm still waiting to be able to add the two "Broken Fall" films to my list.
STILL waiting.

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » March 12th, 2018, 4:13 pm

Still.
Last edited by Ebbywebby on March 12th, 2018, 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » March 17th, 2018, 11:09 pm

These were already on IMDB so this is somewhat off-topic, but I added 47 (!) Vanderbeek films to ICM last night. So what are you waiting for, get checking!

(There's a stack of Vanderbeek stuff streamed on the Ubu film site.)

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » April 28th, 2018, 9:36 pm

wow - just started a short and before it was half over, my addition of the runtime was already published on IMDb - not sure I've ever seen an update applied so quickly, so something is different over there

sol can find me here

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » April 28th, 2018, 10:46 pm

insomnius

Post by insomnius » April 28th, 2018, 11:41 pm

Must have missed X-tracts in the activity feed. Thanks for posting.

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » May 16th, 2018, 1:34 pm

I've started adding LaCinetek directors' lists again, and I stumbled upon a film that is not on IMDb: Life/Expectancy (1999, Shellie Fleming). But worse, I almost can't find anything about the director.

Does somebody know how to add this to IMDb, when there are almost no sources? Help, or even adding it to IMDb, would be much appreciated.

Edit: the same goes for Riyo (1999) by Dominique Gonzalez-Foerster (IMDb director entry)
Last edited by Gershwin on May 16th, 2018, 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

themagician

Post by themagician » May 16th, 2018, 3:46 pm

Gershwin on May 16 2018, 07:34:47 AM wrote:I've started adding LaCinetek directors' lists again, and I stumbled upon a film that is not on IMDb: Life/Expectancy (1999, Shellie Fleming). But worse, I almost can't find anything about the director.

Does somebody know how to add this to IMDb, when there are almost no sources? Help, or even adding it to IMDb, would be much appreciated.

Edit: the same goes for Riyo (1999) by Dominique Gonzalez-Foerster (IMDb director entry)
You can add all the evidence of a film's existence in the Miscellaneous Links section, screenings are most important, but entries in other databases and articles work too, the more evidence the better. When I add Japanese films to IMDb I include two database entries on other sites and that's enough evidence. With only one link it gets rejected. Remember to specify next to the URL what it is. Here's a few I found for Life/Expectancy:

Screenings: http://www.cccb.org/en/activities/file/ ... ing/228037
Screenings: http://www.cjcinema.org/divers/newslett ... aClef.html
Screenings (?): https://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/f ... d=13360120
Database entry: http://www.bfi.org.uk/films-tv-people/4ce2b84ddd8e8
Article: http://blogs.saic.edu/fvnma/2013/12/30/ ... e-fleming/

Those screenings are most important since they definitively prove the title exists.

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » May 16th, 2018, 5:31 pm

Thanks! I now have submitted the title. Let's hope it gets accepted.
RokP 250

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » May 16th, 2018, 5:38 pm

I'll add Riyo

Done, says it'll be up tomorrow. The film shares a producer with a Weerasethakul film, makes you go "hmmm."
Last edited by PeacefulAnarchy on May 16th, 2018, 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » May 16th, 2018, 6:34 pm

PeacefulAnarchy on May 16 2018, 11:38:49 AM wrote:I'll add Riyo

Done, says it'll be up tomorrow. The film shares a producer with a Weerasethakul film, makes you go "hmmm."
Thanks! :thumbsup:
RokP 250

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » June 2nd, 2018, 1:50 am

Would someone be willing to add "His Majesty's Sergeant" (1983, Ghana)" to IMDB? (After about 4 attempts, I still have no idea what I'm doing there, and have run out of IMDB patience.)

Here are links/details:

Added to TheMovieDB: https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/527443 ... s-sergeant

Video is available: https://www.kanopy.com/product/his-majestys-sergeant

BFI acknowledges it: http://www.bfi.org.uk/films-tv-people/4ce2b7270a2d4

News article: https://www.modernghana.com/music/15970 ... nally.html

And please let me know if you need more info - all the info I was able to dig up I have included in the TheMovieDB link. I also suspect that we'll have quite a few more of these with the African challenge...

Simba63
Donator

Post by Simba63 » June 2nd, 2018, 3:51 pm

maxwelldeux on Jun 1 2018, 07:50:42 PM wrote:Would someone be willing to add "His Majesty's Sergeant" (1983, Ghana)" to IMDB? (After about 4 attempts, I still have no idea what I'm doing there, and have run out of IMDB patience.)

Here are links/details:

And please let me know if you need more info - all the info I was able to dig up I have included in the TheMovieDB link. I also suspect that we'll have quite a few more of these with the African challenge...
I would be happy to do that. I'm a 2 year top contributor and my screens, upload times, and contribution sites are driven from IMDb Pro which I've found gives me a special edge. So, in other words, I'm on it!

Simba63
Donator

Post by Simba63 » June 2nd, 2018, 4:30 pm

Simba63 on Jun 2 2018, 09:51:47 AM wrote:
maxwelldeux on Jun 1 2018, 07:50:42 PM wrote:Would someone be willing to add "His Majesty's Sergeant" (1983, Ghana)" to IMDB? (After about 4 attempts, I still have no idea what I'm doing there, and have run out of IMDB patience.)

Here are links/details:

I would be happy to do that. I'm a 2 year top contributor and my screens, upload times, and contribution sites are driven from IMDb Pro which I've found gives me a special edge. So, in other words, I'm on it!
Submitted through my IMDbPro account. I will provide updates here as I receive them. Estimated processing date 3 June 2018.
Last edited by Simba63 on June 2nd, 2018, 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » June 2nd, 2018, 7:00 pm

Simba63 on Jun 2 2018, 10:30:01 AM wrote:
Simba63 on Jun 2 2018, 09:51:47 AM wrote:]I would be happy to do that. I'm a 2 year top contributor and my screens, upload times, and contribution sites are driven from IMDb Pro which I've found gives me a special edge. So, in other words, I'm on it!
Submitted through my IMDbPro account. I will provide updates here as I receive them. Estimated processing date 3 June 2018.
Awesome - thank you!

Simba63
Donator

Post by Simba63 » June 2nd, 2018, 7:15 pm

maxwelldeux on Jun 2 2018, 01:00:51 PM wrote:
Simba63 on Jun 2 2018, 10:30:01 AM wrote:
Simba63 on Jun 2 2018, 09:51:47 AM wrote:]I would be happy to do that. I'm a 2 year top contributor and my screens, upload times, and contribution sites are driven from IMDb Pro which I've found gives me a special edge. So, in other words, I'm on it!
Awesome - thank you!
Here you go my friend. Enjoy!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8500670/

psychotronicbeatnik
Donator

Post by psychotronicbeatnik » June 3rd, 2018, 2:29 am

Simba63 on Jun 2 2018, 01:15:09 PM wrote:
maxwelldeux on Jun 2 2018, 01:00:51 PM wrote:
Simba63 on Jun 2 2018, 10:30:01 AM wrote:Submitted through my IMDbPro account. I will provide updates here as I receive them. Estimated processing date 3 June 2018.
Awesome - thank you!

Oh mighty Simba,

Maxwelldeux and I would like to get a film that I watched for the African challenge added to IMDb so it can get added to ICM as well but the only proof for the film's existence is the listing on YT where you can view it. I've searched for filmographies of both the director and star and all the ones I find seem woefully incomplete including their pages on IMDb.

Here's the film and info I do have:

Anger of a Wonder Girl (2017, Nigeria) Ilochi Olisaemeka
Film stars Regina Daniels who apparently is a 17 year-old screen sensation in Nigeria.

screening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZrP5e23sBU

There is also a sequel: Anger of a Wonder Girl 2 - although really they play like two parts of a whole - similar to the last Harry Potter films. The sequel also has a link on YT.

I realize this is scanty info for adding a film. Any ideas? I'll be away from the internet until next Tuesday so I will not be able to offer a quick response if you have any questions. Thanks!

Simba63
Donator

Post by Simba63 » June 3rd, 2018, 4:13 am

psychotronicbeatnik on Jun 2 2018, 08:29:11 PM wrote:
Simba63 on Jun 2 2018, 01:15:09 PM wrote:
maxwelldeux on Jun 2 2018, 01:00:51 PM wrote:Awesome - thank you!

Oh mighty Simba,

Maxwelldeux and I would like to get a film that I watched for the African challenge added to IMDb so it can get added to ICM as well but the only proof for the film's existence is the listing on YT where you can view it. I've searched for filmographies of both the director and star and all the ones I find seem woefully incomplete including their pages on IMDb.

Here's the film and info I do have:

Anger of a Wonder Girl (2017, Nigeria) Ilochi Olisaemeka
Film stars Regina Daniels who apparently is a 17 year-old screen sensation in Nigeria.

screening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZrP5e23sBU

There is also a sequel: Anger of a Wonder Girl 2 - although really they play like two parts of a whole - similar to the last Harry Potter films. The sequel also has a link on YT.

I realize this is scanty info for adding a film. Any ideas? I'll be away from the internet until next Tuesday so I will not be able to offer a quick response if you have any questions. Thanks!
psychotronicbeatnik, you are funny. :lol: I don't know if I can get it added, but I will certainly try. Probably be tomorrow.

Update: I have submitted the film (partial credits as I could not add them all...kinda tiring) We'll see if this goes through and then I could always watch and add the complete credit roll. Estimated date for addition is 4 June 2018.

Update 2: Wow, only took 10 minutes to add title. As day's go by more credits (as approved like actors, producers, and such) will appear. But for now:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8505994/

Enjoy!
Last edited by Simba63 on June 4th, 2018, 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » June 4th, 2018, 12:13 pm

It looks like Amos Vogel entry Make Love, Not War (iCM) has the wrong title on IMDb: according to the Zagreb Film website it's called Ljubite se, ne ratujte, and NOT Volite se a ne ratujte.
I guess the IMDb entry is based upon the Film as a subversive art entry, and was then 'translated back' to the presumed Croatian title.

Any thoughts? What might be a good way to fix this on IMDb?
RokP 250

Simba63
Donator

Post by Simba63 » June 4th, 2018, 4:05 pm

Gershwin on Jun 4 2018, 06:13:22 AM wrote:It looks like Amos Vogel entry Make Love, Not War (iCM) has the wrong title on IMDb: according to the Zagreb Film website it's called Ljubite se, ne ratujte, and NOT Volite se a ne ratujte.
I guess the IMDb entry is based upon the Film as a subversive art entry, and was then 'translated back' to the presumed Croatian title.

Any thoughts? What might be a good way to fix this on IMDb?
Gershwin, I have put in a title request change with the documentation you provided. I will let you know if/when the contribution is accepted.

Update: The title has been corrected:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2052011/
Last edited by Simba63 on June 4th, 2018, 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » June 4th, 2018, 9:23 pm

That's great, thanks so much! I hope this will make the film resurface a bit quicker, because searching for the wrong title certainly doesn't help.
RokP 250

Simba63
Donator

Post by Simba63 » June 5th, 2018, 12:05 am

Gershwin on Jun 4 2018, 03:23:26 PM wrote:That's great, thanks so much! I hope this will make the film resurface a bit quicker, because searching for the wrong title certainly doesn't help.
No problem, it's nice to finally help you out after all you've done for me. :D