Page 7 of 7

Re: Lost 'n' Found

Posted: November 26th, 2018, 5:19 pm
by PeacefulAnarchy
OldAle1 wrote:
November 26th, 2018, 5:11 pm
I don't understand why films would be tied in the first place. Do their algorithms only count to one place beyond the decimal point or something, i.e. all 7.7s are the same? That's nuts. With thousands - sometimes 10s or 100s of thousands - of votes for each film it seems to me there should be virtually no actual ties. There's just no logic to this that I can see, but that's par for the course for that site.
The extra decimal places are kept 'somewhere' but since they aren't displayed they took them out of the database used for search many years ago (when they introduced the new advanced search I think). Sites like this use multiple databases for different functions, with a master database used to feed them restricted tables so that they can be more efficient. Maybe they put them back in now and that's what's going wonky, or maybe it's something else.

Re: Lost 'n' Found

Posted: November 27th, 2018, 2:57 pm
by sol
Ahem. Getting back to the topic at hand, I am now one of only 31 iCMers to have a Silver Sundance plaque. :D

Image

Came from The Miseducation of Cameron Post, which I liked slightly more than Boy Erased overall. The Sundance winner is more character than message based and equally well acted, though I think Boy Erased did capture the emotional turmoil of gay conversion therapy in more depth.

Neither film though has left me totally satisfied as an exploration of the topic, so I might try to pursue some documentaries on the subject next month. Any recommends are welcome.

Re: Lost 'n' Found

Posted: November 27th, 2018, 3:12 pm
by OldAle1
Good job sol. Sundance is interesting; I've been a film buff since it was brand-new, and I'm American, and I lived in a major city from 1983-2000, but a great many of the winners never got any kind of real commercial release and I had few if any opportunities to see them new. It's improved a bit in recent years; Cameron Post actually played here - for a week - and I could have seen it I suppose. Of course there's video but a lot of times they just fly totally under the radar, and I find no reason to actively seek them out if I missed them in the cinema. I actually have only seen 15 of the 38, and while I have a few unseen or know I have them available I just haven't ever made an effort in that direction. Maybe I'll at least try to see the ones that look interesting over the next few months and get to that Bronze.

Re: Lost 'n' Found

Posted: November 27th, 2018, 6:17 pm
by Hunziker
Image

What the hell? :huh:

Re: Lost 'n' Found

Posted: November 27th, 2018, 7:05 pm
by maxwelldeux
Hunziker wrote:
November 27th, 2018, 6:17 pm
What the hell? :huh:
If you remember the 1920 screwup with IMDB, it's the same thing - they somehow reversed the order.

Re: Lost 'n' Found

Posted: November 27th, 2018, 7:12 pm
by albajos
Human error probably. Gotta compile that code

Re: Lost 'n' Found

Posted: November 28th, 2018, 3:33 pm
by sol
OldAle1 wrote:
November 27th, 2018, 3:12 pm
Good job sol. Sundance is interesting; I've been a film buff since it was brand-new, and I'm American, and I lived in a major city from 1983-2000, but a great many of the winners never got any kind of real commercial release and I had few if any opportunities to see them new. It's improved a bit in recent years; Cameron Post actually played here - for a week - and I could have seen it I suppose. Of course there's video but a lot of times they just fly totally under the radar, and I find no reason to actively seek them out if I missed them in the cinema. I actually have only seen 15 of the 38, and while I have a few unseen or know I have them available I just haven't ever made an effort in that direction. Maybe I'll at least try to see the ones that look interesting over the next few months and get to that Bronze.
Thanks. It's taken a bit of work and searching, however, I have been slowly plodding away at the Sundance list ever since registering on iCM. It has been inside my top 5 highest ranked lists ever since Day One, even with less than a Bronze myself at first. I actually have a couple of unwatched Sundance films in my DVD collection, so there's a good chance I'll be able to maintain my Silver award for a while, though some stuff really is that rare that aiming higher is probably futile.

Re: Lost 'n' Found

Posted: November 29th, 2018, 10:13 am
by xianjiro
Well, it appears my Shorts are no longer backwards and I have platinum again (plus the usual padding between myself and rkzk though Apu's not going to be an easy catch).

Re: Lost 'n' Found

Posted: December 31st, 2018, 8:37 pm
by albajos
Lost a silver in 1950s today, but gained 18 other awards in december so I end 2018 with

103 awards

16 platinum
24 gold
21 silver
42 bronze
and 3 lists where I'm one check from the next award. So maybe I'll do those first thing in 2019.

Re: Lost 'n' Found

Posted: January 1st, 2019, 4:14 am
by mightysparks
I forgot how annoying it was to keep up to date with the IMDb lists.

1950s (platinum, was gold)
1960s (gold, was platinum)
Independent (platinum, was gold)
Music (silver, was gold)
Musical (silver, was gold)

Re: Lost 'n' Found

Posted: January 1st, 2019, 4:29 am
by weirdboy
sol wrote:
November 28th, 2018, 3:33 pm
OldAle1 wrote:
November 27th, 2018, 3:12 pm
Good job sol. Sundance is interesting; I've been a film buff since it was brand-new, and I'm American, and I lived in a major city from 1983-2000, but a great many of the winners never got any kind of real commercial release and I had few if any opportunities to see them new. It's improved a bit in recent years; Cameron Post actually played here - for a week - and I could have seen it I suppose. Of course there's video but a lot of times they just fly totally under the radar, and I find no reason to actively seek them out if I missed them in the cinema. I actually have only seen 15 of the 38, and while I have a few unseen or know I have them available I just haven't ever made an effort in that direction. Maybe I'll at least try to see the ones that look interesting over the next few months and get to that Bronze.
Thanks. It's taken a bit of work and searching, however, I have been slowly plodding away at the Sundance list ever since registering on iCM. It has been inside my top 5 highest ranked lists ever since Day One, even with less than a Bronze myself at first. I actually have a couple of unwatched Sundance films in my DVD collection, so there's a good chance I'll be able to maintain my Silver award for a while, though some stuff really is that rare that aiming higher is probably futile.
I have a horrible number of films seen on the Sundance list, but I must admit that the few I've seen from the list I have liked. I suppose I should dedicate some modicum of effort into watching more of those, but I still have not done so.

Re: Lost 'n' Found

Posted: January 1st, 2019, 5:15 am
by sol
weirdboy wrote:
January 1st, 2019, 4:29 am
sol wrote:
November 28th, 2018, 3:33 pm
OldAle1 wrote:
November 27th, 2018, 3:12 pm
Good job sol. Sundance is interesting; I've been a film buff since it was brand-new, and I'm American, and I lived in a major city from 1983-2000, but a great many of the winners never got any kind of real commercial release and I had few if any opportunities to see them new. It's improved a bit in recent years; Cameron Post actually played here - for a week - and I could have seen it I suppose. Of course there's video but a lot of times they just fly totally under the radar, and I find no reason to actively seek them out if I missed them in the cinema. I actually have only seen 15 of the 38, and while I have a few unseen or know I have them available I just haven't ever made an effort in that direction. Maybe I'll at least try to see the ones that look interesting over the next few months and get to that Bronze.
Thanks. It's taken a bit of work and searching, however, I have been slowly plodding away at the Sundance list ever since registering on iCM. It has been inside my top 5 highest ranked lists ever since Day One, even with less than a Bronze myself at first. I actually have a couple of unwatched Sundance films in my DVD collection, so there's a good chance I'll be able to maintain my Silver award for a while, though some stuff really is that rare that aiming higher is probably futile.
I have a horrible number of films seen on the Sundance list, but I must admit that the few I've seen from the list I have liked. I suppose I should dedicate some modicum of effort into watching more of those, but I still have not done so.
Well, they are not all worth checking out. In fact, I would say that around half the winners are pretty average/mediocre films. There are some real gems in there though. Of the less widely seen (pre-2000s) winners, I would highly recommend The Young Poisoner's Handbook and Chameleon Street.

Re: Lost 'n' Found

Posted: March 3rd, 2019, 2:25 pm
by joachimt
I just got a bronze award on Top 100 Animated Features of All Time. Aren't you guys proud of me? :rolleyes:

EDIT: It's still my lowest ranked list though.

Re: Lost 'n' Found

Posted: March 3rd, 2019, 3:06 pm
by MMDan
Lost my silver Cesar award thanks to the new award.
I did gain a silver The 21st Century's Most Acclaimed Films! I'm not sure it's worth going for the gold on that one.

Re: Lost 'n' Found

Posted: March 3rd, 2019, 7:35 pm
by Armoreska
joachimt wrote:
March 3rd, 2019, 2:25 pm
I just got a bronze award on Top 100 Animated Features of All Time. Aren't you guys proud of me? :rolleyes:
Rehabilitation in progress

Re: Lost 'n' Found

Posted: March 3rd, 2019, 9:50 pm
by maxwelldeux
joachimt wrote:
March 3rd, 2019, 2:25 pm
I just got a bronze award on Top 100 Animated Features of All Time. Aren't you guys proud of me? :rolleyes:

EDIT: It's still my lowest ranked list though.
:cheers:

One of only 8 lists I'm ahead of you on. :ph43r:

Re: Lost 'n' Found

Posted: March 14th, 2019, 11:33 am
by sol
joachimt wrote:
March 3rd, 2019, 2:25 pm
I just got a bronze award on Top 100 Animated Features of All Time. Aren't you guys proud of me? :rolleyes:

EDIT: It's still my lowest ranked list though.
I'm still 13 away from a Bronze on that list (much harder to work on than the BFI one) and it's my second-lowest ranked list after iCM Most Checked. <_<

Re: Lost 'n' Found

Posted: March 14th, 2019, 11:35 am
by sol
I found out the answer to the age-old question of "is Paris burning?", which led to a new Silver award. B)

Image

Re: Lost 'n' Found

Posted: August 13th, 2019, 8:42 pm
by Armoreska
Updated:
IMDb's 1910s Top 50 (platinum, was gold)

OMG this is a first. That one random overstuffed movie that I refused to watch finally left the list.

Now the worst remaining culprit is For Better, for Worse

Re: Lost 'n' Found

Posted: August 13th, 2019, 9:17 pm
by maxwelldeux
So far this month I've picked up bronzes for IMDB Music and Documentary, despite not watching anything for those. So... yay?

Re: Lost 'n' Found

Posted: August 18th, 2019, 12:53 am
by PeacefulAnarchy
Armoreska wrote:
August 13th, 2019, 8:42 pm
Updated:
IMDb's 1910s Top 50 (platinum, was gold)

OMG this is a first. That one random overstuffed movie that I refused to watch finally left the list.

Now the worst remaining culprit is For Better, for Worse
It's gone, still needs a day for ICM to update but lol, droping from over 1.5 points in imdb rating without a single vote.
For Better, for Worse (1919) 5.7

Shifting Sands is fine even if it was vote stuffed.