Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Animation (Results), 2016 awards (Aug 25th), 1987 (Aug 25th), Benelux (Aug 30th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Romance, UK/Ireland, <400 Checks
Film of the Week: Hospital, September nominations (Aug 30th)

What is your top 10 to watch by most official lists?

3eyes
Donator

What is your top 10 to watch by most official lists?

Post by 3eyes » May 27th, 2017, 4:33 pm

Cinewest, I enjoyed reading through your long and careful list of why you want to watch these particular ones.

Re Edvard Munch: I wouldn't call Peter Watkins a documentarian exactly, but he provides interesting spins on the genre. Most of his stuff is pseudo-journalistic (A lot of people dis La Commune, but there was one long weekend when events in the outside world were such that it spoke to my condition.)

What struck me about Edvard Munch, though, is how painterly is. The way it repeatedly comes back again and again to dwell on certain images, he really seems to be viewing events through the consciousness of a visual artist.
Last edited by 3eyes on May 27th, 2017, 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

cinewest

Post by cinewest » May 28th, 2017, 2:36 am

3eyes on May 27 2017, 10:33:50 AM wrote:Cinewest, I enjoyed reading through your long and careful list of why you want to watch these particular ones.

Re Edvard Munch: I wouldn't call Peter Watkins a documentarian exactly, but he provides interesting spins on the genre. Most of his stuff is pseudo-journalistic (A lot of people dis La Commune, but there was one long weekend when events in the outside world were such that it spoke to my condition.)

What struck me about Edvard Munch, though, is how painterly is. The way it repeatedly comes back again and again to dwell on certain images, he really seems to be viewing events through the consciousness of a visual artist.
Thanks for the response. I used to find most documentaries pretty boring as films, aside from the information they provided about a subject: Lot's of talking heads supporting the thesis of the filmmaker, etc., but over the past 20 years, or so, the number of creative, imaginative filmmakers making documentaries has grown in leaps and bounds, and that makes me want to go back and see those documentaries that provided earlier inspiration.

Most were not so available when they first came out (still aren't to a large degree, unless they are picked up by television or internet channels). I have also enjoyed quite a few films that blur the line between documentary and fiction, in that they do so much more than just document or editorialise about something real in the world.

On the flip side, most "Oscar bait" dramas seem to have become more and more based on real life events and people that propagandise and mythologize in "popular" terms, which has made them ever less interesting to me. I'm really sick of the bio-pic that seems to speak to so many "mature," more educated audiences, while using cinema as a mundane vehicle.

tobias

Post by tobias » May 28th, 2017, 2:21 pm

Ebbywebby on May 24 2017, 01:05:48 AM wrote:Of my top 10 unseen films by official lists, I'd say I'm very unlikely to ever see at least four of them (Stagecoach, Great Expectations, Johnny Guitar, Rio Bravo).
How come if I may ask? Do you dislike Westerns and Dickens?

Johnny Guitar is a great film. It's more of an anti-western if that helps. Not a traditional American one (like Stagecoach or Rio Bravo).

tobias

Post by tobias » May 28th, 2017, 2:23 pm

sol on May 24 2017, 04:18:01 AM wrote:Like EbbyWebby, there are several films on tons of lists that I don't ever expect to see (most notably Days of Heaven)
I don't really get why you would categorically exclude films like that (especially films as acclaimed as that). Do you harshly dislike Malick?

Edit: Saw your reasoning in the thread. Is Fanny and Alexander still your favorite film? It's actually a little similar to Days of Heaven is the funny part so you're probably both missing out on a movie you'd really like. Personally I love Badlands aswell. It might be my favorite Malick film.
Last edited by tobias on May 28th, 2017, 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tobias

Post by tobias » May 28th, 2017, 2:32 pm

@sol
1.Bicycle Thieves - already know the ending (spoilt in The Player) and the basic storyline too
You should still watch it. The story is not particularly important. It's more about the everydaylife inbetween and the determination to get the bike.
2.Rashomon - I have somehow managed to avoid all of Kurosawa's big four movies and I really have no idea where to start
You should start right here with Rashomon.
3.Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans - harder to come across on DVD in Australia than one might imagine
It's on YouTube in excellent quality if that helps.
6.Andrei Rublev - see above (I absolutely love Solaris, but the two films do not look similar in the least)
Yes, that's because Andrei Rublev is the best (but seriously, it's probably the most accesible Tarkovsky film if you have the faintest interest in period pieces).
8.The Gold Rush - I don't watch a whole lot of silent films and of what I have seen, I prefer Chaplin's work in sound
For what it's worth I think it's his best silent film.
9.The Passion of Joan of Arc - really doesn't sound like an easy or enjoyable film to get through
Watch it with the right soundtrack and it goes by in an instant. I find it extremely involving.
10.The 400 Blows - I disliked Jules and Jim and this is Truffaut's other big film, so not appealing
It's his worst from what I've seen but then again, I think Jules and Jim is his 2nd best... so maybe...
13. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - it gives Cynical Cinephile something to complain about with my reluctance to watch it :P
baah babababahah arabarab (uninteligble grunting)

tobias

Post by tobias » May 28th, 2017, 2:39 pm

jeff_v on May 24 2017, 12:25:16 PM wrote:1t. Lagaan (2001)
O thiasos / The Traveling Players (1975)
3t. El sol del membrillo / Quince Tree of the Sun (1992)
Heimat - Eine deutsche Chronik / Heimat: A Chronicle of Germany (1984)
La hora de los hornos: Notas y testimonios... / The Hour of the Furnaces (1968)
Huang tu di / Yellow Earth (1984)
Mother India (1957)
Po zakonu / By the Law (1926)
Ruan Lingyu / Center Stage (1991)
Yol (1982)
Zui quan / Drunken Master (1978)

The primary reason for not having seen these is the same: I don't torrent or file share, and none of these are available on Netflix DVD. (I don't use Netflix streaming and cancelled Hulu+ awhile ago.) I will occasionally blind buy a DVD, but generally I have enough to watch just using Netflix DVD, TCM and YouTube.

Also, many of these movies look to be punishingly long.
By The Law is legally available on YouTube but you'll have to download subs.

tobias

Post by tobias » May 28th, 2017, 2:52 pm

MASH - 19 lists
World of Apu - 17
In the Heat of the Night - 17
My Fair Lady - 17
Napoléon vu par Abel Gance - 17
Day for Night - 17
Yi yi - 17
In the Realm of the Senses - 16
Easy Rider - 16
Performance - 16
Shoah - 16

Want to watch all of them. Heard a lot of unfavorable things about In the Realm of the Senses though which doesn't exactly make me pumped to watch it.
Last edited by tobias on May 28th, 2017, 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » May 28th, 2017, 3:27 pm

tobias on May 28 2017, 08:23:42 AM wrote:
sol on May 24 2017, 04:18:01 AM wrote:Like EbbyWebby, there are several films on tons of lists that I don't ever expect to see (most notably Days of Heaven)
I don't really get why you would categorically exclude films like that (especially films as acclaimed as that). Do you harshly dislike Malick?

Edit: Saw your reasoning in the thread. Is Fanny and Alexander still your favorite film? It's actually a little similar to Days of Heaven is the funny part so you're probably both missing out on a movie you'd really like. Personally I love Badlands aswell. It might be my favorite Malick film.
Just to be clear, I don't ever think of it as a case of me categorically excluding films. It is more a case of them not being high priorities for me. I have plenty of films lined up to potentially watch at the moment between the two official challenges this month and the war challenge next month and with over 2000 unwatched movies in my collection, I am not exactly short on things to view. If I was short, sure, I would crack open Rashomon and Andrei Rublev next week, but I have other stuff that I am interested in seeing and which I expect has more chance of appealing to me.

Unlike most (all?) iCM users, I am not much a completist when it comes to lists. I only have one Gold Award and no Platinum Awards despite ranking among the top 500 users. I am a bit of completist when it comes to directors (I have seen everything available from Woody Allen, Brian De Palma, David Cronenberg, etc.) but lists, hmm, they have never interested me that much. Reaching bronze or silver on a list is enough to excite me; I never really feel the need to strive for gold.

:mellow:

Yes, Fanny and Alexander is still my #1. It simply ... overwhelms me ... every time I view it.

Oh, and thanks for the tip on Sunrise being available on YT. I don't watch many silents, however that one and The Gold Rush are easily the two films from my top ten unseen that interest me the most. Maybe when the Silent Film Challenge comes around this year? We'll see.

Of yours, I hated MASH the first time round. A couple of viewings later, it rates as an okay (not great) film in my books - certainly inferior to the TV series and Catch-22 as far as war comedies from the year 1970 are concerned.
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

tobias

Post by tobias » May 29th, 2017, 8:37 am

sol on May 28 2017, 09:27:20 AM wrote:
tobias on May 28 2017, 08:23:42 AM wrote:

Just to be clear, I don't ever think of it as a case of me categorically excluding films. It is more a case of them not being high priorities for me. I have plenty of films lined up to potentially watch at the moment between the two official challenges this month and the war challenge next month and with over 2000 unwatched movies in my collection, I am not exactly short on things to view. If I was short, sure, I would crack open Rashomon and Andrei Rublev next week, but I have other stuff that I am interested in seeing and which I expect has more chance of appealing to me.

Unlike most (all?) iCM users, I am not much a completist when it comes to lists. I only have one Gold Award and no Platinum Awards despite ranking among the top 500 users. I am a bit of completist when it comes to directors (I have seen everything available from Woody Allen, Brian De Palma, David Cronenberg, etc.) but lists, hmm, they have never interested me that much. Reaching bronze or silver on a list is enough to excite me; I never really feel the need to strive for gold.

:mellow:

Yes, Fanny and Alexander is still my #1. It simply ... overwhelms me ... every time I view it.

Oh, and thanks for the tip on Sunrise being available on YT. I don't watch many silents, however that one and The Gold Rush are easily the two films from my top ten unseen that interest me the most. Maybe when the Silent Film Challenge comes around this year? We'll see.

Of yours, I hated MASH the first time round. A couple of viewings later, it rates as an okay (not great) film in my books - certainly inferior to the TV series and Catch-22 as far as war comedies from the year 1970 are concerned.
Yes, indeed, I am surprised that MASH is the highest up there. I am more interested in almost all the others on that list (only not In the Realm of the Senses and possibly In the Heat of the Night which also surprises me by being on so many lists).

I'm not much of a completionist either when it comes to lists. I don't have any platinum either and the only 3 lists I have any interest in completing are TSPDT (which is an agglomeration of lists and thus a little bit of another beast), Sight & Sound (which has a huge overlap with TSPDT anway - I actually kind of prefer it but the movies on the very bottom only have like 3 votes so I might lose motivation once I'm closing in and only stuff is left that doesn't interest me that much) and the german list but not because I necesarilly take it for that credible (it's also about "the most important films" which is a shitty factor to base such a list on) but because it's a nice primer to have on german film. I'm also not set on necesarilly finsihing it. There could be films on that I have little interest in and to watch something like Heimat I'd really have to be in the right mood (it's actually also on TSPDT and S&S I believe). But I have already seen the longest film on the list (and also on TPDT and S&S), Alexanderplatz (which singlehandledly elevated my perception of Fassbinder enough to call me a fan now). Otherwise I'm with you on filmographies. It feels much more personal and authentic to watch the entire filmography of someone and at times it happens without me even noticing. That being said the movies still have to hold some appeal for me. I have still not seen Kubrick's Seafarers although me was my favorite director ever since I really got into film (and I watched all the 15 others almost immediatly). I'll probably watch it someday though.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » May 29th, 2017, 10:08 am

tobias on May 29 2017, 02:37:07 AM wrote:I'm not much of a completionist either when it comes to lists ... I'm with you on filmographies. It feels much more personal and authentic to watch the entire filmography of someone and at times it happens without me even noticing. That being said the movies still have to hold some appeal for me. I have still not seen Kubrick's Seafarers although me was my favorite director ever since I really got into film (and I watched all the 15 others almost immediatly). I'll probably watch it someday though.
I would say the same about Kubrick, though I have never seen any of his shorts. With much apprehension, I watched Fear and Desire for the first time last year and while it doesn't hold up against Kubrick's 1956-1999 movies, I would definitely place it a notch above Killer's Kiss.

The Zombie Canon is probably the only list that I would eventually like to get a Platinum on since I love my horror movies; that said, quality there really seems to take dip towards the end of the list.
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » May 29th, 2017, 2:14 pm

1 movie in 9 lists and 8 movies in 8 lists

La chienne 1931
La batalla de Chile: La lucha de un pueblo sin... 1975
Edvard Munch 1974
O Pagador de Promessas 1962
Potomok Chingis-Khana 1928
Queen Kelly 1929
Le rayon vert 1986
Shen nu 1934
Sud pralad 2004

Rene Narciso

Post by Rene Narciso » May 30th, 2017, 5:06 pm

blueboybob on May 23 2017, 03:37:44 PM wrote:Also, am I the only person who basically just always watches what is next in the "most official lists"?
No, you're not the only one. Sometimes I go looking for the movies in most official lists that I didn't watch. I don't do this more often for several reasons, not all of them rational. I like to have "great movies" unwatched, so I'll have stuff to look forward to, I also am hesitant to make my movie watching too "planned". Sometimes you just want to watch an action movie or horror movie that isn't a respected classic, you know.

Anyway, here is my top 10 unwatched:

1 - The Red Shoes
2 - Tokyo monogatari
3 - Fanny och Alexander
4 - Los olvidados
5 - Roma citta aperta
6 - Stalker
7 - Ugetsu monogatari
8 - Duck Soup (highest ranking American movie on the list of unwatched)
9 - Ikiru
10 - Viridiana

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » May 30th, 2017, 6:34 pm

1. Sholay - 1975 - Ramesh Sippy
2. Lagaan: Once Upon a Time in India - 2001 - Ashutosh Gowariker
3. Sense and Sensibility - 1995 - Ang Lee
4. Le doulos - 1963 - Jean Pierre Melville
5. The Lodger: A Story of the London Fog - 1927 - Alfred Hitchcock
6. Pelle erobreren - 1987 - Bille August
7. Tom Jones - 1963 - Tony Richardson
8. Cabiria - 1914 - Giovanni Pastrone
9. Cops - 1922 - Buster Keaton
10. Divorzio all'italiana - 1961 - Pietro Germi

A few of these are already on my to-do list, and in fact I already have the movies waiting for me to watch them. I haven't exactly been in a hurry to watch the Bollywood movies, though, and I tried to watch Tom Jones before but failed to get past the first 30 minutes.

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » May 30th, 2017, 6:44 pm

1. Belle de jour 1967— a.k.a. Belle de Jour, in 20 top lists
2. L'année dernière à Marienbad 1961— a.k.a. Last Year at Marienbad, in 20 top lists
3. Ordet 1955— a.k.a. The Word, in 20 top lists
4. Le charme discret de la bourgeoisie 1972— a.k.a. The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, in 19 top lists
5. Days of Heaven 1978, in 19 top lists
6. If.... 1968, in 19 top lists
7. Peeping Tom 1960— a.k.a. Face of Fear, in 19 top lists
8. Da hong deng long gao gao gua 1991— a.k.a. Raise the Red Lantern, in 18 top lists
9. Jules et Jim 1962— a.k.a. Jules and Jim, in 18 top lists
10. Kiss Me Deadly 1955, in 18 top lists

No particular reason I haven't seen these movies (yet).

albajos

Post by albajos » June 1st, 2017, 7:23 am

TSPDT is over, the top one has been seen. But as I said previously, unless any of these are in the top 5 War genre, they are comfortable where they are until the next TSPDT.

01 The Red Shoes (25)
02 Roma città aperta (24) - War
03 Intolerance: Love's Struggle Throughout the Ages (23) - I think we're doing a silent challenege later in 2017?
03 Los olvidados (23)
05 The Grapes of Wrath (22)
05 Ikiru (22)
05 Sullivan's Travels (22)
08 L'année dernière à Marienbad (20)
08 El espíritu de la colmena (20)
08 Greed (20) - I tried to find this for the Western challenge, but ny library didn't have it. Not sure if it fits that challenge anyway. Well it fits Silent anyway.
08 Le notti di Cabiria (20)
08 Suna no onna (20) - of this top 10 Suna no onna is probably the one I "want" to see first.

albajos

Post by albajos » July 2nd, 2017, 12:55 am

01 The Red Shoes (24)
02 Intolerance: Love's Struggle Throughout the Ages (23) - I'll postpone it to the silent challenge
03 The Grapes of Wrath (22)
03 Ikiru (22)
03 Sullivan's Travels (22)
06 L'année dernière à Marienbad (20)
06 El espíritu de la colmena (20)
06 Greed (20)
06 Le notti di Cabiria (20)
06 Suna no onna (20)

None of these cries out to me to watch them, so this summer I'll focus on getting through the 42 unwatched DVD/BRs I own that is in official lists.

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » July 2nd, 2017, 7:25 am

Gone with the Wind 1939
The Maltese Falcon 1941
L.A. Confidential 1997
The Birth of a Nation 1915
Les enfants du paradis 1945
MASH 1970
Le notti di Cabiria 1957
All the President's Men 1976
Great Expectations 1946
A Hard Day's Night 1964

albajos

Post by albajos » August 1st, 2017, 8:25 am

01 (01) The Red Shoes (24)
02 (02) Intolerance: Love's Struggle Throughout the Ages (23) - I'll postpone it to the silent challenge
03 (03) Ikiru (22)
04 (06) L'année dernière à Marienbad (20) - Can collect this from my library today
04 (06) El espíritu de la colmena (20)
04 (06) Greed (20)
04 (06) Le notti di Cabiria (20)
04 (06) Suna no onna (20)
09 (---) 8 movies (19) - Got Aguirre from the library yesterday.

albajos

Post by albajos » September 3rd, 2017, 7:11 pm

01 (02) Intolerance: Love's Struggle Throughout the Ages (23) - silent challenge
02 (03) Ikiru (22) - japanese challenge
03 (04) El espíritu de la colmena (20)
03 (04) Greed (20) - silent challenge
03 (04) Le notti di Cabiria (20)
03 (04) Suna no onna (20) - japanese challenge
07 (09) Brief Encounter (19)
07 (09) Bringing Up Baby (19)
07 (09) Days of Heaven (19)
07 (09) Great Expectations (19)
07 (09) If.... (19)
07 (09) Sanshô dayû (19) - japanese challenge
07 (09) Sweet Smell of Success (19)

For those non-challenge movies they are all well-known movies that should be easy to get at the library. To wait for thriller, fantasy or film noir challenges for these I probably wont.

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » September 4th, 2017, 11:12 am

Ebbywebby on May 24 2017, 01:05:48 AM wrote:Of my top 10 unseen films by official lists, I'd say I'm very unlikely to ever see at least four of them (Stagecoach, Great Expectations, Johnny Guitar, Rio Bravo).
Recently saw a few of my most-listed unseen films...The Thing, My Neighbor Totoro and Triumph of the Will. Plus two more from the "10+ Lists" club, Letter from an Unknown Woman and Journey to Italy. I don't usually choose movies this way, but I've done so recently for whatever random reason.

Now my top 10 unseen are:

Akira 1988, in 20 top lists
Stagecoach 1939, in 20 top lists
Great Expectations 1946, in 19 top lists
Johnny Guitar 1954, in 19 top lists
Raise the Red Lantern 1991, in 18 top lists
Heat 1995, in 18 top lists
Rio Bravo 1959, in 18 top lists
Yi yi 2000, in 18 top lists
The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 1943, in 17 top lists
The Philadelphia Story 1940, in 17 top lists

Not much that turns me on here. If I had to choose one to see, I guess it would be Colonel Blimp.

albajos

Post by albajos » October 2nd, 2017, 12:59 pm

01 (03) El espíritu de la colmena (20)
01 (03) Greed (20)
01 (03) Le notti di Cabiria (20)
04 (07) Bringing Up Baby (19)
04 (07) Days of Heaven (19)
04 (07) Great Expectations (19)
04 (07) If.... (19)
04 (07) Sanshô dayû (19)
04 (07) Sweet Smell of Success (19)
10 (---) Il conformista, The Crowd, Ivan Groznyy, Kind Hearts and Coronets, Kiss Me Deadly, The Lady Eve, Napoléon vu par Abel Gance, Rocco e i suoi fratelli (18)

No direct plans to see any of these right now. But I ususally see a movie in some of the list I'm closest to a new medal, so who knows, it might happen.

Update November 1st. None of these was possible during the horror challenge so, the standings are the same
Last edited by albajos on November 1st, 2017, 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

albajos

Post by albajos » October 1st, 2018, 10:04 am

11 months have passed

01 (01) El espíritu de la colmena (20)
01 (01) Greed (20)
03 (04) If.... (19)
03 (01) Le notti di Cabiria (19)
03 (04) Sanshô dayû (19)
06 (10) Il conformista (18)
06 (10) The Crowd (18)
06 (04) Days of Heaven (18)
06 (04) Great Expectations (18)
06 (10) Ivan Groznyy (18)
06 (10) Napoléon vu par Abel Gance (18)
06 (10) Rocco e i suoi fratelli (18)

Got through the top comedies this month, so that cleaned up a few titles.

rnilsson19

Post by rnilsson19 » October 1st, 2018, 10:21 am

12 Years a Slave (2013) - 13 official lists
Sholay (1975) 13 official lists
Chariots of Fire (1981) - 12 official lists
The Chronicle History of King Henry the Fifth with His Battell Fought at Agincourt in France (1944) - 12 official lists
Odd Man Out (1947) - 12 official lists
Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942) - 12 official lists
Coco (2017) - 11 official lists
The Revenant (2015) - 11 official lists
Tom Jones (1963) - 11 official lists
Biruma no tategoto (1956) - 10 official lists

I'll probably watch Odd Man Out & Yankee Doodle Dandy eventually, not too keen on the others.

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » October 1st, 2018, 6:04 pm

haven't check for a while. These are my remaining 6+:

Sholay - 13
Coco - 11
The Incredibles 2 - 9
The Message - 8
Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge - 7
Dirty Dancing - 7
Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion - 7
Brilliantovaya ruka - 6
Ingeborg Holm - 6
Mughal-E-Azam - 6
The Music Man - 6
Regeneration - 6
Reminiscences of a Journey to Lithuania - 6

max-scl

Post by max-scl » October 2nd, 2018, 4:37 am

Andrey Rublev (1966) 28
The Apartment (1960) 26
La battaglia di Algeri (1966) 25
C'era una volta il West (1968) 25
Paths of Glory (1957) 25
Solyaris (1972) 25
Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo (1966) 23
Stalker (1979) 23
Sullivan's Travels (1941) 23
The Wild Bunch (1969) 23

Waiting for a chance to watch the Tarkovskys in a theater.
Not in a hurry about the others.

tourdesb

Post by tourdesb » October 2nd, 2018, 7:17 am

Funny Girl (1968) - 9
Avengers: Infinity War (2018) - 8
Fiddler on the Roof (1971) - 8
Fröken Julie (1951) - 8
Howards End (1992) - 8
Kimi no na wa. (2016) - 8
The Message (1976) - 8
One-Eyed Jacks (1961) - 8
Hope and Glory (1987) - 7
Jezebel (1938) - 7

+ 5 others on 7 lists

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » November 1st, 2018, 6:15 pm

Lawrence of Arabia (1962) - 40
Citizen Kane (1941) - 37
Apocalypse Now (1979) - 36
Casablanca (1942) - 36
Ladri di bicyclette (1948) - 34
M - Eine Stadt sucht einen Mörder (1931) - 34
Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (1927) - 34
Metropolis (1927) - 33
Rashômon (1950) - 33
Singin' in the Rain (1952) - 33
The Third Man (1949) - 33

Aside of Apocalypse Now, i don't think i'll work on this soon.

albajos

Post by albajos » November 1st, 2018, 7:12 pm

01 (01) El espíritu de la colmena (21)
02 (01) Greed (20)
03 (03) If.... (19)
03 (03) Le notti di Cabiria (19)
03 (03) Sanshô dayû (19)
06 (06) Il conformista (18)
06 (06) The Crowd (18)
06 (06) Great Expectations (18)
06 (06) Ivan Groznyy (18)
06 (06) Napoléon vu par Abel Gance (18)
06 (06) Rocco e i suoi fratelli (18)

I'm watching If.... and probably The Crowd this month

flaiky

Post by flaiky » November 1st, 2018, 9:31 pm

Majority are silents:

Intolerance (23 lists) - I did see about 40 minutes of this once upon a time...
The Birth of a Nation (21)
Napoleon (18)
In the Realm of the Senses (16)
Earth (15)
Goldfinger (14) - I've seen hardly any Bond
A Touch of Zen (14)
October (13)
Olympia 1 + 2 (13)
Sholay (13)
Strike (13)
The Thief of Baghdad (1924) (13)
Les Vampires (13)

I have a feeling this would have been almost exactly the same 2, even 3 years ago - the only "super high list count" film I can recall seeing for the first time since then is Daises. For years I was very driven to watch the most acclaimed films, not for the sake of lists or rankings but because I was genuinely interested in film history and wanted to experience anything important. I'm glad I have seen so many such films but it hasn't been a motivation for a while now; I'm more narrowly focussed on personal film interests.

Nothing left here is a big priority but the top two are probably the ones I would pick first...most are pretty low priorities to be honest, and I doubt I'll ever watch In the Realm, Vampires, or Sholay.
Let the ashes fly
ICM | Letterboxd | All-time stats

tourdesb

Post by tourdesb » November 1st, 2018, 10:38 pm

Kimi no na wa. (2016) - 9
Avengers: Infinity War (2018) - 8
Fröken Julie (1951) - 8
Funny Girl (1968) - 8
Howards End (1992) - 8
The Message (1976) - 8
Fiddler on the Roof (1971) - 7
Hope and Glory (1987) - 7
The Lion in Winter (1968) - 7
The Parallax View (1974) - 7

+ 3 others on 7 lists

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » November 1st, 2018, 10:49 pm

01. [21] Bringing Up Baby
02. [21] A Matter of Life and Death
03. [21] Les vacances de Monsieur Hulot
04. [20] La dolce vita
05. [20] Les enfants du paradis
06. [20] Greed
07. [20] Jules et Jim
08. [20] Stagecoach
09. [19] If....
10. [19] Johnny Guitar

... and 7 more 19-list films. I check this list once in a while, but only when I have little else to watch. Not really the kind of cinema I expect to like.

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » November 1st, 2018, 11:32 pm

1. Belle de jour 1967 — a.k.a. Belle de Jour, in 20 top lists
1. Peeping Tom 1960 — a.k.a. Face of Fear, in 20 top lists
3. If.... 1968, in 19 top lists
4. Days of Heaven 1978, in 18 top lists
5. All That Jazz 1979, in 17 top lists
5. L'armée des ombres 1969 — a.k.a. Army of Shadows, in 17 top lists
5. La nuit américaine 1973 — a.k.a. Day for Night, in 17 top lists
5. Shoah 1985, in 17 top lists
9. Ai no korîda 1976 — a.k.a. In the Realm of the Senses, in 16 top lists
9. Au hasard Balthazar 1966 — a.k.a. Au Hasard Balthazar, in 16 top lists
9. Die Büchse der Pandora 1929 — a.k.a. Pandora's Box, in 16 top lists
9. Hiroshima mon amour 1959 — a.k.a. Hiroshima, My Love, in 16 top lists
9. Le mépris 1963 — a.k.a. Contempt, in 16 top lists
9. Performance 1970, in 16 top lists
9. Triumph des Willens 1935 — a.k.a. Triumph of the Will, in 16 top lists

flaiky

Post by flaiky » November 2nd, 2018, 12:00 am

Onderhond wrote:
November 1st, 2018, 10:49 pm
01. [21] Bringing Up Baby
02. [21] A Matter of Life and Death
03. [21] Les vacances de Monsieur Hulot
04. [20] La dolce vita
05. [20] Les enfants du paradis
06. [20] Greed
07. [20] Jules et Jim
08. [20] Stagecoach
09. [19] If....
10. [19] Johnny Guitar

... and 7 more 19-list films. I check this list once in a while, but only when I have little else to watch. Not really the kind of cinema I expect to like.
Hard to tell, but I think you might like A Matter of Life and Death.
Let the ashes fly
ICM | Letterboxd | All-time stats

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » November 2nd, 2018, 4:06 am

1. Hidden 2005— a.k.a. Caché, in 13 top lists
  2. Ten 2002— a.k.a. Dah, in 11 top lists
  3. Days of Being Wild 1990— a.k.a. Ah fei zing zyun, in 10 top lists
  4. The Lovers on the Bridge 1991— a.k.a. Les amants du Pont-Neuf, in 10 top lists
  5. Time of the Gypsies 1988— a.k.a. Dom za vesanje, in 10 top lists
  6. To Our Loves 1983— a.k.a. À nos amours, in 10 top lists
  7. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri 2017, in 10 top lists
  8. Dont Look Back 1967, in 9 top lists
  9. Quince Tree of the Sun 1992— a.k.a. El sol del membrillo, in 9 top lists
  10. Vengeance Is Mine 1979— a.k.a. Fukushû suru wa ware ni ari, in 9 top lists
Plus eleven more titles on 9 lists. I don't often watch any of the top unchecked ones, but I would like to get knock it down off all the 10+ titles.
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

Apu

Post by Apu » November 13th, 2018, 4:27 pm

Avengers: Infinity War - 8
Kaguyahime no monogatari - 7
Song of the Sea - 7
Ziemia obiecana (The Promised Land) - 7
Brilliantovaya ruka (The Diamond Arm) - 6
Mughal-E-Azam - 6
Sennen joyû (Millennium Actress) - 6
Tih Minh - 6
Amor de Perdição: Memórias de uma Família (Ill-Fated Love) - 5
Babam ve Oglum - 5

WalterNeff
Donator

Post by WalterNeff » November 13th, 2018, 4:31 pm

Salò o le 120 giornate di Sodoma 1975— a.k.a. Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom, in 11 top lists
Sátántangó 1994— a.k.a. Satantango, in 11 top lists
Jeanne Dielman, 23, quai du commerce, 1080... 1975— a.k.a. Jeanne Dielman, 23 Commerce Quay, 1080 Brussels, in 9 top lists
Berlin Alexanderplatz 1980, in 9 top lists
Giulietta degli spiriti 1965— a.k.a. Juliet of the Spirits, in 9 top lists
La hora de los hornos: Notas y testimonios... 1968 in 9 top lists
La meglio gioventù 2003— a.k.a. The Best of Youth, in 9 top lists
Qiu Ju da guan si 1992— a.k.a. The Story of Qiu Ju, in 9 top lists
Juventude Em Marcha 2006— a.k.a. Colossal Youth, in 8 top lists
Lan feng zheng 1993— a.k.a. The Blue Kite, in 8 top lists

beasterne

Post by beasterne » November 27th, 2018, 10:03 pm

1. The Young and the Damned (23)
2. Viridiana (23)
3. Last Year at Marienbad (21)
4. Pather Panchali (21)
5. Belle de jour (20)
6. La Dolce Vita (20)
7. Children of Paradise (20)
8. Greed (20)
9. L'Atalante (20)
10. Ordet (20)
11. Legend of Bailiff Sansho (20)

I haven't watched many of these due to availability. I mostly use my local library to get my movies and they don't have 1, 4, 8, 9, or 10 in their system. I do have Viridiana and Legend of Bailiff Sansho checked out right now though so those should fall off the list soon!

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » November 27th, 2018, 10:18 pm

Hmm, never responded on this topic, surprised. Anyway I have 10 at 12+ at the moment, nice even number so -

(17) 1. Shoah

(14) 2. Au revoir les enfants

(13) 3. Olympia I
(13) 3. Olympia 2
(13) 3. Sholay

(12) 6. Angst essen Seele auf
(12) 6. The Killing Fields
(12) 6. Koyaanisqatsi
(12) 6. W.R.: Misterije organizma
(12) 6. Withnail & I

I think I've actually seen Olympia and Koyaanisqatsi - in the cinema no less - but just can't say for sure at this point. No particular reason for not having seen most of these though several are long and several are documentaries, and for whatever reason I've never really focused on docs. Think I might watch Shoah in December though.

RBG

Post by RBG » November 27th, 2018, 10:33 pm

8 1/2 4-evah (33 lists)
ben-hur (24 lists)
les vacances de monsieur hulot (21 lists)
playtime (20 lists)
trois couleurs: rouge (19 lists)
spartacus (18 lists)
la nuit americaine (17 lists)
festen (16 lists)
mon oncle (16 lists)
viskningar och rop/cries and whispers (16 lists)

i have a copy of festen tehe i've seen pieces of at least half these ofc.
will probably check tati soon - always said i was waiting for a bigger screen and now have much less excuse
how the fuck did this get into 8 official lists
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » November 28th, 2018, 2:01 am

RBG wrote:
November 27th, 2018, 10:33 pm
how the fuck did this get into 8 official lists
a four letter word. imdb. also it's 9 lists now.

for me!:
Schindler's List 31
Gone with the Wind 30
Saving Private Ryan 27
Ben-Hur 24
Forrest Gump 24
Titanic 23
Amadeus 21
Platoon 20
To Kill a Mockingbird 20
Brokeback Mountain 19

nothing different from the last time I did this except minus Snow White (seen!) and plus Brokeback Mountain. Amadeus is the only one I might watch in the next year or so unless I really get into checking the most official listed films, which probably won't happen.

but immediately after this batch of films I've got a bunch of good-lookin' ones, If..., Apur Sansar, Grave of the Fireflies, Napoelon, All Quiet on the Western Front, All That Jazz, Ninotchka. Those are the ones I'm far more likely to watch.