Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Animation (Results), 2016 awards (Aug 25th), 1987 (Aug 25th), Benelux (Aug 30th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Romance, UK/Ireland, <400 Checks
Film of the Week: The Great White Silence, September nominations (Aug 30th)

What is your top 10 to watch by most official lists?

blueboybob
Donator

What is your top 10 to watch by most official lists?

Post by blueboybob » May 23rd, 2017, 9:37 pm

Sort all unwatched by most official lists what should you watch?

Also, am I the only person who basically just always watches what is next in the "most official lists"?

7th Heaven 1927
Biruma no tategoto 1956
F for Fake 1973
La chienne 1931
Moartea domnului Lãzãrescu 2005
Spione 1928

I only put 6, because there are many more in 8 lists. So this is all the movies in 9 and 10 lists.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » May 23rd, 2017, 10:08 pm

bbb, are you assuming that we have to watch unwatched movies starting from the top (most official lists) or are you asking about the top 10 we want to see or might consider watching? In my case (see albajos' link) there's a huge list of stuff that nothing could induce me to watch, plus stuff I tried watching and couldn't stand.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 23rd, 2017, 10:25 pm

blueboybob on May 23 2017, 03:37:44 PM wrote:Also, am I the only person who basically just always watches what is next in the "most official lists"?
In the 5 years I've been a member of iCM I think I picked a movie this way maybe three times.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » May 24th, 2017, 7:05 am

Of my top 10 unseen films by official lists, I'd say I'm very unlikely to ever see at least four of them (Stagecoach, Great Expectations, Johnny Guitar, Rio Bravo).

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » May 24th, 2017, 7:48 am

blueboybob on May 23 2017, 03:37:44 PM wrote:Also, am I the only person who basically just always watches what is next in the "most official lists"?
I often do this, but not always. The number one on my list is Dekalog, and thats been the case for quite a while. It's still a long ways off before I watch it, too.
iCM

“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ (Matthew 25:37-40)

sol
Donator

Post by sol » May 24th, 2017, 10:18 am

Like EbbyWebby, there are several films on tons of lists that I don't ever expect to see (most notably Days of Heaven), so no, I don't watch films based purely on the number official lists that they are in. That said, for something like the Doubling the Canon nominations, it was easiest for me to prioritise films that were in more official lists rather than less. Same goes for the current Westerns Challenge.

iCM is loading slowly at the moment but I'll get back to you with my top ten unseen shortly.
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » May 24th, 2017, 10:36 am

Top 10 Unseen (by # official lists) and why:

1. Bicycle Thieves - already know the ending (spoilt in The Player) and the basic storyline too

2. Rashomon - I have somehow managed to avoid all of Kurosawa's big four movies and I really have no idea where to start

3. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans - harder to come across on DVD in Australia than one might imagine

4. The Wizard of Oz - probably saw this 20-25 years ago, plus another one for which I already know the ending

5. Seven Samurai - finding time for a 3.5 hour film with subtitles is never easy, especially if I would prefer to see it in one go

6. Andrei Rublev - see above (I absolutely love Solaris, but the two films do not look similar in the least)

7. The Best Years of Our Lives - don't own; could probably find on DVD but even so that's another three hour movie...

8. The Gold Rush - I don't watch a whole lot of silent films and of what I have seen, I prefer Chaplin's work in sound

9. The Passion of Joan of Arc - really doesn't sound like an easy or enjoyable film to get through

10. The 400 Blows - I disliked Jules and Jim and this is Truffaut's other big film, so not appealing

Also of interest:

13. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - it gives Cynical Cinephile something to complain about with my reluctance to watch it :P
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

Cynical Cinephile

Post by Cynical Cinephile » May 24th, 2017, 11:35 am

sol on May 24 2017, 04:36:16 AM wrote:Also of interest:

13. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - it gives Cynical Cinephile something to complain about with my reluctance to watch it :P
Go watch it while this challenge is still running, goddamnit. When you do it, I'll complain about Andrei Rublev. :D

Intolerance: Love's Struggle Throughout the Ages (1916) - 23 top lists
Roma città aperta (1945) - 23 top lists
Cabaret (1972) - 22 top lists
Sullivan's Travels (1941) - 22 top lists
The Birth of a Nation (1915) - 21 top lists
Le notti di Cabiria (1957) - 20 top lists
Les vacances de Monsieur Hulot (1953) - 20 top lists
Fantasia (1940) - 20 top lists (I might've seen it when I was a kid, but I don't really remember it; I'll try to get to it soon)
If (1968) - 19 top lists
Bride of Frankenstein (1935) - 18 top lists

There are 6 more films in 18 top lists.
blueboybob on wrote:Also, am I the only person who basically just always watches what is next in the "most official lists"?
Not me, I never do this. Although, I do plan to watch all of these film eventually, none of them is a priority for me at the moment.
The truth is you're Donny, and I'm Walter. But I'm tryin', Ringo, I'm tryin' real hard to be The Dude.

:ICM: :letbxd: :imdb:

Tasselfoot

Post by Tasselfoot » May 24th, 2017, 12:36 pm

Lock this thread since it already exists?

albajos

Post by albajos » May 24th, 2017, 1:26 pm

If you watch in the other thread you can see that Andrey Rublev have been on top for some months now. It's simply about accessibility.

I did actually finally reserve it May 1st at the library for the TSPDT and is still in queue three weeks later.

But in general I only look at the top 5 offical based on genres (like I have seen all top 5 official list westerns this month, and saw the top 5 animation last month. But because of waiting time I can't go for the "top" film all the time, anyway.

Of my top 10 I think all of them are availbale in my library, so when the time is right I can watch them.

Also the notion that I basically focus on "unofficial" films, and getting through my collection outside of challenges

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » May 24th, 2017, 1:32 pm

Tasselfoot on May 24 2017, 06:36:16 AM wrote:Lock this thread since it already exists?
I take your point, but this one is a lot more fun so far - I like the inclusion of people's intentions. And there is a difference - top 10 by # of official lists vs top 5 by varying criteria, tho some folks have been doing 10. Well, whatever.

I'm laughing because I've seen everything on Sol and Cynical's lists.
(I learned from Andrei Rublev that Tarkovsky has a horse fetish.)

OK, here are mine:

The exorcist (hated the book)
Saving Private Ryan - tried
Olduboi - tried twice
Reservoir dogs - tried
The Dark Knight
Terminator 2
Rosemary's baby - tried (hated the book)
The terminator
Aliens
Requiem for a dream
Last edited by 3eyes on May 24th, 2017, 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » May 24th, 2017, 1:37 pm

sol on May 24 2017, 04:18:01 AM wrote:Like EbbyWebby, there are several films on tons of lists that I don't ever expect to see (most notably Days of Heaven (...)
Why wouldn't you want to see Days of Heaven? :o It's beautiful, touching, realistic ...
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

Cynical Cinephile

Post by Cynical Cinephile » May 24th, 2017, 1:45 pm

Gershwin on May 24 2017, 07:37:17 AM wrote:
sol on May 24 2017, 04:18:01 AM wrote:Like EbbyWebby, there are several films on tons of lists that I don't ever expect to see (most notably Days of Heaven (...)
Why wouldn't you want to see Days of Heaven? :o It's beautiful, touching, realistic ...
Yeah, I'm curious about this as well.
The truth is you're Donny, and I'm Walter. But I'm tryin', Ringo, I'm tryin' real hard to be The Dude.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » May 24th, 2017, 1:48 pm

Cynical Cinephile on May 24 2017, 07:45:53 AM wrote:
Gershwin on May 24 2017, 07:37:17 AM wrote:
Hehe, it's a sort of pact that I have with my best friend. His #1 film of all time is Days of Heaven; mine is Fanny and Alexander, and neither of us has seen the other's #1 film. It started as a bit of a joke since back in our high school days we used to get really argumentative with one another when one of us disliked a film that the other one loved. Since then -- 12+ years on -- we have both grown up and matured (though me more than him) however this pact has somehow still remained in place. I suppose maybe we will break the pact one day. We'll see.
Image Image Image

Cynical Cinephile

Post by Cynical Cinephile » May 24th, 2017, 1:52 pm

3eyes on May 24 2017, 07:32:23 AM wrote:
Tasselfoot on May 24 2017, 06:36:16 AM wrote:Lock this thread since it already exists?
I take your point, but this one is a lot more fun so far - I like the inclusion of people's intentions. And there is a difference - top 10 by # of official lists vs top 5 by varying criteria, tho some folks have been doing 10. Well, whatever.

I'm laughing because I've seen everything on Sol and Cynical's lists.
(I learned from Andrei Rublev that Tarkovsky has a horse fetish.)

OK, here are mine:

The exorcist (hated the book)
Saving Private Ryan - tried
Olduboi - tried twice
Reservoir dogs - tried
The Dark Knight
Terminator 2
Rosemary's baby - tried (hated the book)
The terminator
Aliens
Requiem for a dream
Funnily enough, I've seen all on your list. (btw, I too have seen all on sol's list as well).

Out of the 10 I listed, which one would you compel me to watch first?

Cynical Cinephile

Post by Cynical Cinephile » May 24th, 2017, 1:57 pm

sol on May 24 2017, 07:48:39 AM wrote:
Cynical Cinephile on May 24 2017, 07:45:53 AM wrote:
Gershwin on May 24 2017, 07:37:17 AM wrote:Why wouldn't you want to see Days of Heaven? :o It's beautiful, touching, realistic ...
Hehe, it's a sort of pact that I have with my best friend. His #1 film of all time is Days of Heaven; mine is Fanny and Alexander, and neither of us has seen the other's #1 film. It started as a bit of a joke since back in our high school days we used to get really argumentative with one another when one of us disliked a film that the other one loved. Since then -- 12+ years on -- we have both grown up and matured (though me more than him) however this pact has somehow still remained in place. I suppose maybe we will break the pact one day. We'll see.
That's interesting. Have you seen other Malick's films? If you have, did you like them?

sol
Donator

Post by sol » May 24th, 2017, 2:12 pm

Cynical Cinephile on May 24 2017, 07:57:18 AM wrote:
sol on May 24 2017, 07:48:39 AM wrote:
Cynical Cinephile on May 24 2017, 07:45:53 AM wrote:Yeah, I'm curious about this as well.
That's interesting. Have you seen other Malick's films? If you have, did you like them?
Yeah, he's an interesting guy (I will leave it at that since he actually has an icmforum account and logs in on the odd rare occasion). :ermm:

From Malick, I have seen Badlands three times and consider it to be an all-time favourite. I also saw The Tree of Life during its theatrical run, which went a little over my head.

With regards to the Malick films that I have not yet seen, I am actually planning on watching The Thin Red Line for the War Challenge next month. Knight of Cups looks intriguing too. I can't say that the rest of his filmography appeals to me in the slightest, especially if they are more like Tree than Badlands.
Image Image Image

Cynical Cinephile

Post by Cynical Cinephile » May 24th, 2017, 2:24 pm

sol on May 24 2017, 08:12:17 AM wrote:
Cynical Cinephile on May 24 2017, 07:57:18 AM wrote:
sol on May 24 2017, 07:48:39 AM wrote:Hehe, it's a sort of pact that I have with my best friend. His #1 film of all time is Days of Heaven; mine is Fanny and Alexander, and neither of us has seen the other's #1 film. It started as a bit of a joke since back in our high school days we used to get really argumentative with one another when one of us disliked a film that the other one loved. Since then -- 12+ years on -- we have both grown up and matured (though me more than him) however this pact has somehow still remained in place. I suppose maybe we will break the pact one day. We'll see.
Yeah, he's an interesting guy (I will leave it at that since he actually has an icmforum account and logs in on the odd rare occasion). :ermm:

From Malick, I have seen Badlands three times and consider it to be an all-time favourite. I also saw The Tree of Life during its theatrical run, which went a little over my head.

With regards to the Malick films that I have not yet seen, I am actually planning on watching The Thin Red Line for the War Challenge next month. Knight of Cups looks intriguing too. I can't say that the rest of his filmography appeals to me in the slightest, especially if they are more like Tree than Badlands.
The Thin Red Line is my all time favorite (anti)war film, fuck, it may as well be my all time favorite film, regardless (not that I have such a thing). I'm looking forward to see what you think of it.

Knight of Cups is certainly a lot more like Tree than it is like Badlands (this is the case for all of Malick's films this side of The Thin Red Line), but Days of Heaven isn't. I would advise going through his films chronologically; as his filmography went along, they became less and less accessible, imo.

The Tree of Life went over my head as well when I first watched, but after I revisited it, it became a favorite.

The thing about TTRL is, although it was, just like The Tree of Life, really made in the editing room, it still has a much clearer narrative and characters, so don't let the similarity in style put you off from watching it.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » May 24th, 2017, 5:59 pm

Cynical Cinephile on May 24 2017, 07:52:17 AM wrote:Funnily enough, I've seen all on your list. (btw, I too have seen all on sol's list as well).

Out of the 10 I listed, which one would you compel me to watch first?
My takes on movies are unabashedly subjective and my memory isn't that good anymore. In the abstract (for cultural literacy) I guess I'd say either Birth of a nation or Les vacances de M. Hulot. (If you see Fantasia, check out Bruno Bozzetto's Allegro non troppo as well - A spoof which shows what fluff Fantasia is, as well as a sendup of Italian neorealism. Maybe my all-time favorite.)

jeff_v

Post by jeff_v » May 24th, 2017, 6:25 pm

1t. Lagaan (2001)
O thiasos / The Traveling Players (1975)
3t. El sol del membrillo / Quince Tree of the Sun (1992)
Heimat - Eine deutsche Chronik / Heimat: A Chronicle of Germany (1984)
La hora de los hornos: Notas y testimonios... / The Hour of the Furnaces (1968)
Huang tu di / Yellow Earth (1984)
Mother India (1957)
Po zakonu / By the Law (1926)
Ruan Lingyu / Center Stage (1991)
Yol (1982)
Zui quan / Drunken Master (1978)

The primary reason for not having seen these is the same: I don't torrent or file share, and none of these are available on Netflix DVD. (I don't use Netflix streaming and cancelled Hulu+ awhile ago.) I will occasionally blind buy a DVD, but generally I have enough to watch just using Netflix DVD, TCM and YouTube.

Also, many of these movies look to be punishingly long.

albajos

Post by albajos » May 24th, 2017, 6:34 pm

Well, I saw Lagaan in cinema. One of my best cinema experiences ever.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 24th, 2017, 8:48 pm

sixteen listed due to tie, seven I consider 'in process', can't remember if I have any of the others on my streaming server
  • Arrival 2016, in 8 top lists - should have Friday
  • L'argent 1983— a.k.a. Money, in 8 top lists - waiting for Criterion ed to hit library
  • Limite 1931, in 8 top lists - waiting for Criterion ed to hit library
  • Logan 2017— a.k.a. Wolverine: Weapon X, in 8 top lists - held, waiting for library to get copies
  • Arsenal 1929— a.k.a. January Uprising in Kiev in 1918, in 7 top lists
  • Le crime de Monsieur Lange 1936— a.k.a. The Crime of Monsieur Lange, in 7 top lists
  • Le feu follet 1963— a.k.a. The Fire Within, in 7 top lists
  • Une histoire de vent 1988— a.k.a. A Tale of the Wind, in 7 top lists
  • Long men kezhan 1967— a.k.a. Dragon Inn, in 7 top lists - waiting for ILL to arrive (next week?)
  • Masculin féminin 1966— a.k.a. Masculine-Feminine, in 7 top lists
  • La montaña sagrada 1973— a.k.a. The Holy Mountain, in 7 top lists
  • Qing mei zhu ma 1985— a.k.a. Taipei Story, in 7 top lists - waiting for Criterion ed to hit library
  • La région centrale 1971, in 7 top lists
  • La roue 1923— a.k.a. The Wheel, in 7 top lists
  • Subarnarekha 1965— a.k.a. The Golden Thread, in 7 top lists - requested ILL today
  • Zire darakhatan zeyton 1994— a.k.a. Through the Olive Trees, in 7 top lists

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » May 24th, 2017, 8:53 pm

xianjiro on May 24 2017, 02:48:47 PM wrote:sixteen listed due to tie, seven I consider 'in process', can't remember if I have any of the others on my streaming server
  • L'argent 1983— a.k.a. Money, in 8 top lists - waiting for Criterion ed to hit library
  • Logan 2017— a.k.a. Wolverine: Weapon X, in 8 top lists - held, waiting for library to get copies
  • Le crime de Monsieur Lange 1936— a.k.a. The Crime of Monsieur Lange, in 7 top lists
  • Long men kezhan 1967— a.k.a. Dragon Inn, in 7 top lists - waiting for ILL to arrive (next week?)
  • Qing mei zhu ma 1985— a.k.a. Taipei Story, in 7 top lists - waiting for Criterion ed to hit library
  • Subarnarekha 1965— a.k.a. The Golden Thread, in 7 top lists - requested ILL today
You are I in the same area of movies. I am also watching the movies in the 9/8/7 official lists area.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 24th, 2017, 9:10 pm

blueboybob on May 24 2017, 02:53:08 PM wrote:
xianjiro on May 24 2017, 02:48:47 PM wrote:
Spoiler: click to toggleShow
sixteen listed due to tie, seven I consider 'in process', can't remember if I have any of the others on my streaming server
You are I in the same area of movies. I am also watching the movies in the 9/8/7 official lists area.
yeah. I don't prioritize this listing as much as my spreadsheet which ranks the official lists by proximity to bronze, award upgrades, and date of last watching something from that list - oh, and rank - the two things that move a list to the top are not having bronze and being at the lowest end of the rankings (Russian, Polish, Zombies)

but I do try to rotate through other ways - like on most official lists - as well as my watchlist and lists that I've favourited. I rarely focus on one list, though Canadian and Zombies are about as close as I get to doing this since bronze is so close for both
Last edited by xianjiro on May 24th, 2017, 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Kasparius

Post by Kasparius » May 24th, 2017, 10:10 pm

I didn't do ties, just the first 10 that showed up.

Inside Out (12 lists) ( I have a screener, I'll watch it eventually, it's also inflated because of the bullshit IMDB lists)

Zootopia (11 Lists) (Same bullshit inflation with the IMDB lists)

Boyhood (10 lists) (I have a screener, I don't really know why I haven't watched it yet.)

Whiplash (10 lists) (I heard a lot of bad things from people I respect, and a lot of good things from people whose taste I don't really respect)

Interstellar (9 lists) (It's Christopher Nolan. Enough said.)

Jigokumon (9 lists) (One of those I have been meaning to watch for years, I think the bad prints kept me away for a time)

La batalla de chile (8 lists) (Not in the mood)

The Grand Budapest Hotel (8 lists) (A cat gets killed for a cheap laugh, I want to see the film, but I hate animal death used as comedy, it makes me sad and I respect Wes Anderson much less for it.)

Hedwig and the Angry Inch (8 lists) (Sure, why not, guess I just never got around to it)

Jagten (8 lists) (Heard ambivalent things about it.)
Last edited by Kasparius on May 24th, 2017, 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cynical Cinephile

Post by Cynical Cinephile » May 24th, 2017, 10:26 pm

Kasparius on May 24 2017, 04:10:16 PM wrote:Interstellar (9 lists) (It's Christopher Nolan. Enough said.)
This could mean very different things depending on who you ask.

Kasparius

Post by Kasparius » May 24th, 2017, 10:47 pm

Cynical Cinephile on May 24 2017, 04:26:37 PM wrote:
Kasparius on May 24 2017, 04:10:16 PM wrote:Interstellar (9 lists) (It's Christopher Nolan. Enough said.)
This could mean very different things depending on who you ask.
If it meant that I thought he was the shit, I would have seen it already.

Tasselfoot

Post by Tasselfoot » May 24th, 2017, 11:01 pm

I'm currently at 57 unwatched films on 7 lists. Have seen all 8+. Not currently working on these, but I did obviously work on 8+... and may later this year work on the remaining 7s.

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » May 25th, 2017, 7:34 am

Gone with the Wind 31 lists
The Maltese Falcon
L.A. Confidential
The Birth of a Nation
Les enfants du paradis
Le notti di Cabiria
All the President's Men
Great Expectations
A Hard Day's Night
Der Himmel über Berlin 19 lists

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » May 25th, 2017, 7:45 am

Despite having a fairly high rank, I have 94 unseen films that appear on 10+ lists...which certainly suggests seeing films on the most lists isn't a prime strategy for me.

In fact, I've added 19 official checks so far this month, but only six of them (The Meetings of Anna, Moonlight, The Falls, Une Chambre en Ville, La Promesse, Manchester by the Sea) even appear on more than one official list.

Malick's "Knight of Cups" was so terrible that I'll never be gungho about seeing one of his films again.

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » May 25th, 2017, 7:47 am

sol on May 24 2017, 04:18:01 AM wrote:Like EbbyWebby, there are several films on tons of lists that I don't ever expect to see (most notably Days of Heaven), so no, I don't watch films based purely on the number official lists that they are in. That said, for something like the Doubling the Canon nominations, it was easiest for me to prioritise films that were in more official lists rather than less.
For a number of us, we actually prioritize films that aren't on official lists when deciding what to watch for DTC nominations, in the hopes of making them official :D
Kasparius on May 24 2017, 04:10:16 PM wrote:I didn't do ties, just the first 10 that showed up.

Inside Out (12 lists) ( I have a screener, I'll watch it eventually, it's also inflated because of the bullshit IMDB lists)

Zootopia (11 Lists) (Same bullshit inflation with the IMDB lists)

Boyhood (10 lists) (I have a screener, I don't really know why I haven't watched it yet.)

Whiplash (10 lists) (I heard a lot of bad things from people I respect, and a lot of good things from people whose taste I don't really respect)

Interstellar (9 lists) (It's Christopher Nolan. Enough said.)

Jigokumon (9 lists) (One of those I have been meaning to watch for years, I think the bad prints kept me away for a time)

La batalla de chile (8 lists) (Not in the mood)

The Grand Budapest Hotel (8 lists) (A cat gets killed for a cheap laugh, I want to see the film, but I hate animal death used as comedy, it makes me sad and I respect Wes Anderson much less for it.)

Hedwig and the Angry Inch (8 lists) (Sure, why not, guess I just never got around to it)

Jagten (8 lists) (Heard ambivalent things about it.)
- Inside Out and Zootopia may be on more lists than they "deserve", but they're both solid films with a lot more for adults than most movies geared towards children.
- I didn't remember the cat scene in GB Hotel; reviewing the scene now, I don't find it funny and I'm not sure if it's intended as a cheap laugh. I understand your distaste, but I wouldn't suggest not seeing the film simply for that (especially since it seems Anderson has a penchant for offing animals in his other films and I think you've seen most of those). I had a friend in uni who refused to see Closer because she didn't agree with adultery; watching a film doesn't mean you condone the actions taken in that film. (I've also now read a bunch of articles and blog posts about Anderson killing animals in his films... interesting viewpoints)
- What have you heard that's ambivalent about Jagten? From what I've heard, it's received almost unanimous praise, both critically and popularly, and on this forum.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » May 25th, 2017, 12:59 pm

Fergenaprido on May 25 2017, 01:47:38 AM wrote:
sol on May 24 2017, 04:18:01 AM wrote:for something like the Doubling the Canon nominations, it was easiest for me to prioritise films that were in more official lists rather than less.
For a number of us, we actually prioritize films that aren't on official lists when deciding what to watch for DTC nominations, in the hopes of making them official :D
Just to be clear, I did watch several dozen Unofficial films for the Canon Doubling, however, around 75% would have been on an Official List already. Of the Unofficial films that I watched, Gett was the most pleasing 2017 entrant for me, while I would have been happy for the underwhelming The Yakuza to stay Unofficial.
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » May 25th, 2017, 1:02 pm

Fergenaprido on May 25 2017, 01:47:38 AM wrote:What have you heard that's ambivalent about Jagten? From what I've heard, it's received almost unanimous praise, both critically and popularly, and on this forum.
Hehehe, maybe he saw the very vocal discussions I had regarding Jagten on the weekly thread a month or so ago. I thought Mads was great in it, but as a teacher myself, I had an incredibly hard time accepting certain aspects of the story.
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » May 25th, 2017, 1:05 pm

Ebbywebby on May 25 2017, 01:45:53 AM wrote:Despite having a fairly high rank, I have 94 unseen films that appear on 10+ lists...which certainly suggests seeing films on the most lists isn't a prime strategy for me.
Is that all that unusual? I have 252 films unseen films on 10+ lists and I am ranked around a 350 spots below you.
Image Image Image

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » May 25th, 2017, 9:56 pm

sol on May 25 2017, 07:05:12 AM wrote:
Ebbywebby on May 25 2017, 01:45:53 AM wrote:Despite having a fairly high rank, I have 94 unseen films that appear on 10+ lists...which certainly suggests seeing films on the most lists isn't a prime strategy for me.
Is that all that unusual? I have 252 films unseen films on 10+ lists and I am ranked around 350 spots below you.
Well, I've seen so many posts from people who have watched every film on more than seven or eight lists....

And I thought "Jagten" was ho-hum, and still can't figure out why it was so revered. Just seemed like another "Falsely Accused" genre film such as you'd see on Lifetime. Sure, it was extra well-made and well-acted, but...shrug.
Last edited by Ebbywebby on May 25th, 2017, 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cinewest

Post by cinewest » May 27th, 2017, 7:51 am

I choose what I watch in a variety of ways, but do use the TSPDT lists to remind me of the most critically acclaimed films that I haven't yet seen.

That said, while I intend to get to those highest on these lists, I am not always that interested in them, for one reason or another.

#1) Other than Chaplin and various short films, I have just not be that compelled by the "silent era."

#2) I might say the same about films from the 30's and 40's, though I have seen and enjoyed most of the classics, and continue to explore filmmakers I am less familiar with from time to time, or delve further into filmographies and genres I am already familiar with when the mood strikes.

#3) I am not that into animation, though I have enjoyed some, and am at times in the mood.

#4) I am not that into mainstream cinema anymore, though I continue to see the most celebrated from time to time, if only to keep abreast of cultural and cinematic norms.

Here are 100 of the films highest on the TSPDT lists that I want to see (including important documentaries, and several by Bresson, Cassavetes, Dreyer, and Murnau, who are 4 filmmakers I want to delve into more)

2000's:
Spirited Away (anime)
Tropical Malady- haven't yet taken to this filmmaker
West of The Tracks (documentary, and where I am currently living)
Elephant- just missed it when it played in theatres
Colossal Youth- another filmmaker who has been difficult for me
Goodbye Dragon Inn- another filmmaker who can be a chore
Nostalgia for The Light (documentary I have wanted to see since watching the trailer)
UP (next on my list from Pixar)
Leviathan (documentary I have wanted to see since watching the trailer)

1980's and 90's:
Shoah (doc)- probably essential
Satantango- have to make the time for it
Histories du Cinema (Godard)- ditto above
Come and See- dying to see this one. Love Russian cinema
A City of Sadness- next on my list for Hou
Distant Voices, Still Lives- not that familiar yet with Davies
Berlin Alexanderplatz (TV Series I saw part of a long time ago)
Farewell My Concubine- essential Chinese film
Quince Tree of The Sun (doc.)- have wanted to se it for ages
Au revoir Les Enfants- missed it in the theatres. Have seen a lot of related films
Orlando- have heard good things
My Friend Ivan Lapshin (have never seen a film by this director)

1970's:
The Mother and The Whore- been on my list for a long time
A Woman Under the Influence- Cassavetes is a filmmaker I want to delve into more
Ali: Fear Eats The Soul- the next fassbinder on my list
Cries and Whispers- one of the Bergman's I haven't got to yet
Traveling Players- been on my list for a long time
Celine and Julie Go Boating (saw it years ago)
In the Realm Of The Senses (saw part of it years ago)
Killer of Sheep- need to see something by this filmmaker
India Song- Love Duras
Edvard Munch (documentary. want to become familiar with this documentarian)

1960's: have probably more from this era on my list (and the current one) than any other
Contempt- I really struggle with most of Godard, but continue to try him from time to time
Playtime- been on the list for a long time
The Gospel According To St. Mathew (saw ages ago)
Mouchette- Bresson is a filmmaker I really want to explore more
Umbrellas of Cherbourg- have always stayed away, but seems essential
Wavelength- when I make the time and can find it
The Color of Pomegranate (saw it ages ago)
El Verdugo- essential Spanish film
Black God, White Devil- essential Brazilian film
Red Dessert- next antonioni on my list
Eyes Without A Face- unfamiliar with Franju
Salvatore Giuliano- Rossi's first
Woman in The Dunes (saw it ages ago)
Sorrow and The Pity- essential viewing
Daisies- essential Czech new wave
The House Is Black- precursor of the Iranian new wave
Army of Shadows- next melville on my list
Barren Lives- essential Brazilian cinema
Chronicle of a Summer- essential french new wave
Muriel- next Resnais on my list
Loves of A Blond- the film that first called attention to Milos Forman
The Round Up- on my list for awhile

1950's:
Ordet- Dreyer is a filmmaker I haven't yet explored
Voyage to Italy
Pickpocket
A Man Escaped
Imitation of Life- have never seen anything by this director
Ashes and Diamonds- next Wajda
Diary of A Country Priest
The Life of Oharu- next Mizoguchi
Floating Clouds- want to check out Naruse
In A Lonely Place- next Bogart
The Music Room- next Ray
Orpheus (saw ages ago)
Shadows
The Big Heat- essential noir
Rififi- essential noir
Forbidden Games

1930's and 40's:
The Grand Illusion (saw ages ago)
Bicycle Thieves- too familiar with it, but I need to see it
The Magnificent Amberson’s- never could find it
To Be or Not To Be- don't know Lubitsch
Rome: Open City (saw ages ago)
A Matter Of Life And Death- next Powell and Pressburger
Springtime In A Small Town- Chinese classic

The Best Years of Our Lives
Paisan
Kind Hearts and Coronets
Sullivan’s Travels
Ivan The Terrible (pts. 1 & 2)
Only Angels Have Wings- next Hawks
Tabu
Germany, Year Zero
Meshes in The Afternoon
Day of Wrath
Make Way for Tomorrow
Triumph of The Will
Alexander Nevsky
The Blue Angel

The Silent's:
Sunrise- have to see Murnau one day
Man With A Movie Camera- will definitely see this one
Passion of Joan Of Arc- maybe I should start here with Dreyer
M- next Lang
Greed
Intolerance
Sherlock Jr.- next Keaton
L’ Age D’ Or
Nosferatu
Napoleon
Nanook Of the North
Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
The Crowd
Pandora’s Box
The Wind
Last edited by cinewest on November 26th, 2017, 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cinewest

Post by cinewest » May 27th, 2017, 8:46 am

jeff_v on May 24 2017, 12:25:16 PM wrote:1t. Lagaan (2001)
O thiasos / The Traveling Players (1975)
3t. El sol del membrillo / Quince Tree of the Sun (1992)
Heimat - Eine deutsche Chronik / Heimat: A Chronicle of Germany (1984)
La hora de los hornos: Notas y testimonios... / The Hour of the Furnaces (1968)
Huang tu di / Yellow Earth (1984)
Mother India (1957)
Po zakonu / By the Law (1926)
Ruan Lingyu / Center Stage (1991)
Yol (1982)
Zui quan / Drunken Master (1978)

The primary reason for not having seen these is the same: I don't torrent or file share, and none of these are available on Netflix DVD. (I don't use Netflix streaming and cancelled Hulu+ awhile ago.) I will occasionally blind buy a DVD, but generally I have enough to watch just using Netflix DVD, TCM and YouTube.

Also, many of these movies look to be punishingly long.
Most of these are on my list, as well.

Didn't care for Lagaan (bollywood, even revisionist bollywood, is just too corny for me).

Thought Yol was outstanding, though it is probably greater in the context of its time and circumstances (it was made by a jailed political dissident, is autobiographical, and had a huge influence on the Iranian New Wave- Kiarostami, et. all- that was about to arrive).

cinewest

Post by cinewest » May 27th, 2017, 9:16 am

nimimerkillinen on May 25 2017, 01:34:56 AM wrote:Gone with the Wind 31 lists
The Maltese Falcon
L.A. Confidential
The Birth of a Nation
Les enfants du paradis
Le notti di Cabiria
All the President's Men
Great Expectations
A Hard Day's Night
Der Himmel über Berlin 19 lists
Given all that I haven't seen, I've actually seen all but one of these (Birth Of A Nation, which is not high on my list, though important in film history). In fact, I have dvds of 5 (out of roughly 350, total)

I think all are worthwhile, though LA Confidential is way overrated (doesn't hold a candle to Chinatown).

Not sure what your taste in films is, but the other 3 Hollywood films on your list are classics of their type.

Apart from those, Les Enfantes du Paradis is probably the most essential (Many French consider it their greatest film). The other two that probably made the biggest impression on me were Great Expectations, and Der Himmel uber Berlin.
I saw Great Expectations when I was a youngster (before I read the book), and though it doesn't capture the book completely, it does capture the essence of it, and creates some amazing visual characterisations (including scenes I will never forget)
The Wenders' film came out at a time when I was just our of college (and also making short films of my own), and it made a huge impression on me (just as Blue Velvet did) at the time. Not sure whether this film will have the same impact seen at another point in time, or even if I was a different age at the time, but it's still top 10 for me from the 80's (if only because I am a prisoner of my own experience).

One film that has grown in my estimation is La notti di Cabiria, which is less emotionally manipulative than DeSica's films, and represents Fellini at his best just prior to becoming liberated, as well as more internally reflective and fantasy driven.

sushantv10

Post by sushantv10 » May 27th, 2017, 10:15 am

10 Lists
Shoah
Farewell My Concubine
A Brighter Summer Day
The Mother an the Whore
La Belle Noiseuse
Pelle the Conqueror

9 Lists
Berlin Alexanderplatz
Heimat