Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 2006 (Results), Directors (Jan 3rd), 1968 awards (Jan 21st), Documentaries (Jan 26th), 2018 (Feb 17th)
Challenges: Russia, Sci-Fi/Fantasy, Rosenbaum
World Cup: Quarter Finals schedule, QF-A (Jan 16th), QF-B (Jan 27th)
Film of the Week: Pisma myortvogo cheloveka

Posting Links on iCM title comments

joachimt
Donator

Posting Links on iCM title comments

Post by joachimt » December 2nd, 2017, 1:16 pm

Done
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » December 6th, 2017, 8:48 am

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » December 6th, 2017, 7:24 pm

maxwelldeux on Dec 6 2017, 01:48:12 AM wrote:https://beta.icheckmovies.com/movies/night+mail/
Dead link removed.
ICM-profile

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » December 7th, 2017, 7:41 am

allisoncm on Dec 6 2017, 05:42:22 PM wrote:Dead link
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/shiryo+no+wana/
Removed
ICM-profile

Minkin

Post by Minkin » December 17th, 2017, 8:04 am

Is there some easy explanation for this sort of thing:

I assume it means that the two comments are from people who've chosen to keep their ICM comments private / with friends only? Rather annoying either way.

Also, is there some rule against all of the sketchy Russian websites that get posted? Besides things like putting ICM at risk for copyright take-down notices (these links are always for the easiest available films), none of the links are exactly safe for your computer/phone/whatever. At least if they weren't hyperlinked, we wouldn't run the risk of accidentally clicking on them.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » December 17th, 2017, 8:24 am

Can you give an example of the Russian sites?
Last edited by PeacefulAnarchy on December 17th, 2017, 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

monk-time

Post by monk-time » December 17th, 2017, 8:24 am

Most likely it's just a bug: deleting users or changing their privacy level (or something like that) doesn't update comment numbers for all entries that they've commented on.

Re: Russian websites: can you give an example? In case you mean afisha.ru links posted by Skyscore, that site is (was) just a popular lifestyle magazine with some of the best Russian critics publishing there.
ICM profile | My userscripts for IMDb/iCM | iCheckMovies Enhanced by themagician: call it direct, call it collect, but CALL IT TODAY!

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » December 17th, 2017, 10:12 am

monk-time on Dec 17 2017, 01:24:24 AM wrote:Most likely it's just a bug: deleting users or changing their privacy level (or something like that) doesn't update comment numbers for all entries that they've commented on.
Something like that indeed. When an account is deleted, I think the number of comments doesn't update, but the comments disappear.
ICM-profile

Minkin

Post by Minkin » December 17th, 2017, 12:36 pm

PeacefulAnarchy on Dec 17 2017, 01:24:07 AM wrote:Can you give an example of the Russian sites?
Almost all of Sien's comments:

https://www.icheckmovies.com/profiles/c ... ?user=sien

+ nymets138
https://www.icheckmovies.com/profiles/c ... =nymets138

Seems like there's a ton of these, and they all come from Russia. Things like vsevideo / ok.ru / my.mail.ru / VK.com / etc etc or really shady things like putlocker/Iwannawatch (not from Russia, but just as bad)

Heavens forbid you aren't able to find Anchors Aweigh anywhere else.......
Last edited by Minkin on December 17th, 2017, 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monk-time

Post by monk-time » December 17th, 2017, 4:46 pm

Minkin on Dec 17 2017, 05:36:36 AM wrote:ok.ru / my.mail.ru / VK.com
These three are the largest websites in the whole region with 50-100 million monthly visitors each, all three are large IT businesses as legit and non-shady as it gets. The widespread acceptance of piracy here means that they all allow to upload videos as a way to attract the audience, and only the most popular mainstream stuff gets removed. But they are still just social networks, as likely to lock your computer as Tinder, Foursquare or douban.

So I agree with the copyright violation risk, but it's ridiculous to say that they are not safe.
ICM profile | My userscripts for IMDb/iCM | iCheckMovies Enhanced by themagician: call it direct, call it collect, but CALL IT TODAY!

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » December 17th, 2017, 5:24 pm

ICM aren't the copyright police and linking to films is not a primary or even secondary purpose of ICM, those films are uploaded to those sites completely independently and copyright owners can (and do based on the number of dead links that have to get cleaned up) send their complaints that way. In terms of content ICM's policy is if it was uploaded to a site that does DMCA takedowns and it hasn't been taken down then ICM assumes it's fine and if it isn't then it can be taken down on that site. So links to obvious piracy like piratebay are no good, links to youtube or youtube equivalents are fine. ICM can't know or investigate every site, so in general ICM assumes good faith. (This is not an official ICM statement, but is the general gist of what we've discussed in terms of moderating comments.)

Browsing safety is a different matter that I don't think we've discussed, but I'd be interested in hearing opinions on it. ok.ru doesn't send my alarm bells ringing in terms of browsing safety (at least on a computer browser with ad block), though putlocker does and I'd be inclined to delete those links. I haven't looked at the other sites you mentioned yet. Interested in hearing other opinions on this.
Last edited by PeacefulAnarchy on December 17th, 2017, 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monk-time

Post by monk-time » December 17th, 2017, 5:56 pm

Well, I am Russian, and ok.ru has been around for at least ten years (both it and vk.com launched in 2006 as our two Facebook clones), and if it suddenly started to serve hidden miners or exploits etc. there would be quite an outcry. They are not safe only for privacy-sensitive communication or even the most harmless political dissent.

I agree though that all sites specialized on "watch movies online" are sketchy as heck and can turn malicious the second the owner decided to get richer, and since they are already illegal with no community around them there's nothing to prevent them from doing that.

Minkin

Post by Minkin » December 18th, 2017, 3:51 am

What about vsevideo or x264 Video then?

Sorry that I wasn't aware of the status of some of these Russian sites. I just think its poor form to link to pirated copies of films that are extremely easy to find. Its just as stupid as the comments that go "KG." Perhaps for some ultra rare film that I can't find anywhere, but when its something like The Way We Were, I think you can try a bit harder to find them - and not turn to foreign piracy.

I'd highly recommend getting rid of the putlocker/Iwannawatch/sockshare/free-classic-movies garbage, at the very least for the security of people's tech if they try to access them. Not everyone has heard of all of these video options, and may just think its another Youtube clone like Dailymotion, and instead end up on a very unsecured site like Iwannawatch.

Perhaps having a list of good/bad video hosts might be a good idea. Or perhaps just telling those two users (I don't really run into problems with anyone else, just those two people) to perhaps stop.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » December 18th, 2017, 5:06 am

vsevideo asked me to mine bitcoin or some shit so fuck that. Don't see anything immediately sketchy with x264 so i don't know.

I'm leaning towards agreeing with you about the others.

vsevideo links I found are gone. I'll see about the other stuff later.
Last edited by PeacefulAnarchy on December 18th, 2017, 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » December 25th, 2017, 11:30 am

https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/la+rabbia/
Oldman's comment no longer relevant
currently working thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Pier Paolo Pasolini, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » January 9th, 2018, 9:16 am

on Rastus in Zululand: Dief88's and John Milton's links are to a different film (see TimHeaney's comments)

also, the intertitles say "Rastus Among the Zulus". I believe the first frame has been added later and mis-identifies the film. Also the YouTube title agrees with the intertitles, not the first frame title.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » January 9th, 2018, 2:34 pm

xianjiro on Jan 9 2018, 02:16:42 AM wrote:on Rastus in Zululand: Dief88's and John Milton's links are to a different film (see TimHeaney's comments)

also, the intertitles say "Rastus Among the Zulus". I believe the first frame has been added later and mis-identifies the film. Also the YouTube title agrees with the intertitles, not the first frame title.
I'm not editing such comments, because it's useful information, but it seems Tim has a point there. ChrisReynolds has seen it from a DVD. Maybe he can confirm the clip on youtube is incorrect. I'll ask him.
ICM-profile

ChrisReynolds
Donator

Post by ChrisReynolds » January 9th, 2018, 4:44 pm

joachimt on Jan 9 2018, 07:34:04 AM wrote:
xianjiro on Jan 9 2018, 02:16:42 AM wrote:on Rastus in Zululand: Dief88's and John Milton's links are to a different film (see TimHeaney's comments)

I'm not editing such comments, because it's useful information, but it seems Tim has a point there. ChrisReynolds has seen it from a DVD. Maybe he can confirm the clip on youtube is incorrect. I'll ask him.
This is the short on the "Visions of Africa" DVD where it is billed as Rastus in Zululand by Sigmund Lubin, 1910. Reading the trade descriptions it does seem like the wrong one. I suppose the DVD company has probably incorrectly identified it.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » January 9th, 2018, 7:51 pm

ChrisReynolds on Jan 9 2018, 09:44:12 AM wrote:
joachimt on Jan 9 2018, 07:34:04 AM wrote:

This is the short on the "Visions of Africa" DVD where it is billed as Rastus in Zululand by Sigmund Lubin, 1910. Reading the trade descriptions it does seem like the wrong one. I suppose the DVD company has probably incorrectly identified it.
Or the IMDb-synopsis are switched. Who submits those synopses? Could be anyone.
Btw, both shorts are produced by Sigmund Lubin, so they switch is easily made.

Maybe we should check the Film Comedy book?
Last edited by joachimt on January 9th, 2018, 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ICM-profile

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » January 10th, 2018, 5:31 am

joachimt on Jan 9 2018, 12:51:50 PM wrote:
ChrisReynolds on Jan 9 2018, 09:44:12 AM wrote:
joachimt on Jan 9 2018, 07:34:04 AM wrote:I'm not editing such comments, because it's useful information, but it seems Tim has a point there. ChrisReynolds has seen it from a DVD. Maybe he can confirm the clip on youtube is incorrect. I'll ask him.

all sorts of things are possible, but as I said, I trust intertitles more than what looks like a computer generated title screen

there is even a remote possibility the are the same film but have through the ages been given different names - though yes, the summaries suggest they are different, but there too, I've read summaries on IMDb written by different authors and would swear they hadn't seen the same thing.

what a mess

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Lilarcor
Donator

Post by Lilarcor » January 10th, 2018, 8:28 am

xianjiro on Jan 9 2018, 10:31:25 PM wrote:
joachimt on Jan 9 2018, 12:51:50 PM wrote:
ChrisReynolds on Jan 9 2018, 09:44:12 AM wrote:This is the short on the "Visions of Africa" DVD where it is billed as Rastus in Zululand by Sigmund Lubin, 1910. Reading the trade descriptions it does seem like the wrong one. I suppose the DVD company has probably incorrectly identified it.

all sorts of things are possible, but as I said, I trust intertitles more than what looks like a computer generated title screen

there is even a remote possibility the are the same film but have through the ages been given different names - though yes, the summaries suggest they are different, but there too, I've read summaries on IMDb written by different authors and would swear they hadn't seen the same thing.

what a mess
Wouldn't be surprised if it was the same film but two different versions (for different markets). Could be that one is a pirated version (piracy existed since the beginning of film hence why for example you often see Gaumont logos in the scenery as a kind of watermark for their films) or reedited by the projectionist who would sometimes play God, and that that source has come down to us. Of course, at that point, it becomes the question if these are the same film after all.

monk-time

Post by monk-time » January 10th, 2018, 8:51 am

Lilarcor on Jan 10 2018, 01:28:14 AM wrote:piracy existed since the beginning of film hence why for example you often see Gaumont logos in the scenery as a kind of watermark for their films
That was such a funny move. Did they really expect viewers to become visibly elated from knowing that they were watching 10 seconds of "a genuine Gaumont" and not a worthless fake?

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » January 10th, 2018, 11:14 am

Well, and especially with the silent era, copying took so many forms including the pervasive rip-off character. Maybe tomorrow I'll see what I can find online about that film. I did check and my library doesn't have a copy - not much of a surprise there though.

sol can find me here

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » January 10th, 2018, 11:37 pm

Dead links removed.
ICM-profile

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » January 14th, 2018, 8:04 am

sol can find me here

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » January 14th, 2018, 8:53 am

Beta isn't loading correctly for me at the moment (is it alright for others?). I'll remove this later.
ICM-profile

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » January 14th, 2018, 10:02 pm

Beta wasn't working for me yesterday, but seems fine again now.

sol can find me here

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » February 13th, 2018, 7:02 pm

Done
ICM-profile

wowwee123

Post by wowwee123 » February 16th, 2018, 7:36 am

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » February 16th, 2018, 9:50 am

done
ICM-profile

monk-time

Post by monk-time » February 16th, 2018, 9:18 pm

After detecting ~4.5k dead video links last summer, I've rerun the tool today on 20000 top users by all checks. Here's a list of 728 links that have died since then:

648 links from top-2500
80 links from the rest of top-20000
https://gist.github.com/monk-time/7389d ... fbbc0e3034
Last edited by monk-time on February 17th, 2018, 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » February 16th, 2018, 10:10 pm

monk-time on Feb 16 2018, 02:18:39 PM wrote:After detecting ~4.5k dead video links last summer, I've rerun the tool today on 2500 top users by all checks. Here's the list of 648 links that have died since then:

https://gist.github.com/monk-time/7389d ... fbbc0e3034
Thanks!
Do you have this as textfile or csv or something like that with the full iCM-urls?
ICM-profile

monk-time

Post by monk-time » February 16th, 2018, 10:21 pm

ICM links are clickable on that page and lead to the comments pages, same format as the last time.

If you click on the "Raw" button in on the right you can extract full ICM links from there (.md is a text format), or you can simply select all & copy and run a simple text replacement in your text editor ("/movies/" to "https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/").
Last edited by monk-time on February 16th, 2018, 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » February 16th, 2018, 10:48 pm

Ah right, I'll figure it out. I did something like that the past time.
I know the links there are clickable, but it's easier to keep track of what I've done if I put it in a document.
ICM-profile

monk-time

Post by monk-time » February 17th, 2018, 11:08 am

joachimt on Feb 16 2018, 03:48:07 PM wrote:I know the links there are clickable, but it's easier to keep track of what I've done if I put it in a document.
Another suggestion: you can just select the contents of that link and paste it into Word. That way links will remain clickable, and you can remove portions of the file as you go.

Or (a much better and modern solution) use an online Markdown editor like StackEdit or Dillinger that can save files in browser cache or sync them with cloud services. Paste the raw Markdown from my file there and you can click on links and remove them without leaving your browser: