Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 2007 (Results), 2017 awards (Dec 21st), 1955 (Dec 27th), Directors (Dec 31st), Underrated (Jan 3rd), Knockout competition (Round 5)
Challenges: Documentary, Travel the World, Italy
Film of the Week: Five Dedicated to Ozu, January nominations (Dec 27th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1A: Canada vs England vs Estonia vs Iran (Dec 29th)

Which film do you think should win the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature Film?

albajos

Which film do you think should win the Academy Award for Bes

Post by albajos » February 11th, 2017, 7:23 pm

Pear Cider Cigarettes - Vimeo On Demand

It's a bit strange to compare 7 minute movies with 35 minute movies.

PUNQ

Post by PUNQ » February 17th, 2017, 5:53 pm

Thanks for the rest of the cartoon shorts. I'll give Pear Cider and Cigarettes (2016) the nod. At least there was a story there, compared to just a handful gags and nothing more. But being over 30 minutes long, it had an advantage over the overs.
- The Western Challenge 2016 & 2017, Asian Challenge 2016 GOLD medallist!
- The ICM First-Check Master!
- Member of ICM's 25,000 Checks Club!
- The guy with the most reviews on Letterboxd!

monty

Post by monty » February 27th, 2017, 11:24 am

So how do you guys feel about Zootopia and Piper winning? My Life as a Zucchini and The Red Turtle likely never stood a chance as they aren't American produced.
Last edited by monty on February 27th, 2017, 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » April 30th, 2017, 1:24 pm

finished Zucchini which is just 1 hour long
final ranking goes like this:
Zootopia
Ma vie de Courgette
Moana
La tortue rouge
Kubo And The Two Strings
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

albajos

Post by albajos » May 1st, 2017, 7:42 am

I have seen everything now, and frankly I don't think any feature should win. La tortue rouge perhaps if I had to choose.

Looking back at the short subject category through the years, they generally award for technique rather than plot/punchline. In that regard Piper follows that line of thought, but emotionally I would probably go for Pearl, and as a honorable mention: Blind Vaysha - as the more deeper one.

dirty_score

Post by dirty_score » January 23rd, 2018, 5:00 pm

Pretty weak this year. Coco will win because Pixar/Disney already bought it. And because little kids don't care about Loving Vicent, the one who could make a stand.

The Breadwinner could be good but I fear is just a animated (and lightier) version of Osama.

The Boss Baby? Ferdinand? Really :mw_confused:

There's no diversity at all. I thought they were gonna push Your Name to this year's ceremony à là Crash.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » January 23rd, 2018, 5:04 pm

I'm actually happy that I saw one; I haven't consciously boycotted PIXAR or the other big CGI American films but I didn't bother to see any of them last year and I doubt I'll bother with Coco on the big screen. But I did see Loving Vincent, liked it a lot, and would be thrilled to see it win. I doubt I'd get 100-1 odds on it unfortunately; they should just rename this the PIXAR award.
Here's to the fools who dream.

Mate_cosido

Post by Mate_cosido » January 23rd, 2018, 6:51 pm

I've only seen Zootopia and the zucchini boy, and wasn't impressed by neither, they weren't bad and i can see how some people would liked them more though

Of the others, the one that looks interesting is La tortue rouge, i'll try to watch it before the awards

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » January 23rd, 2018, 6:56 pm

Mate_cosido on Jan 23 2018, 11:51:41 AM wrote:I've only seen Zootopia and the zucchini boy, and wasn't impressed by neither, they weren't bad and i can see how some people would liked them more though

Of the others, the one that looks interesting is La tortue rouge, i'll try to watch it before the awards
Before this years awards?
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » January 23rd, 2018, 7:41 pm

I just heard In This Corner of the World and A Silent Voice were both up for grabs in this year's animation category ... the Oscar animation category is such a farce.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/award-season ... 09456.html
Last edited by Onderhond on January 23rd, 2018, 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » January 25th, 2018, 4:01 pm

Onderhond on Jan 23 2018, 12:41:05 PM wrote:I just heard In This Corner of the World and A Silent Voice were both up for grabs in this year's animation category ... the Oscar animation category is such a farce.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/award-season ... 09456.html
You're misusing that article from 3 years ago.

The nominations come from within the branch itself, so only the animators are voting for the animation category. If the animation branch (or rather, the animators in the Short Films & Feature Animation branch) don't nominate certain films, it's not because they're "clueless about animation". I forget the exact way they determine the nominees (It's online somewhere), but I believe they overhauled it a few years back. Given the limited field of eligible pictures (20-30 in recent years), I think it's highly likely that most branch members get to see a decent number of those, especially since there are often dedicated screenings for members and screeners sent out.

The profiles in that article are Academy members from any branch, voting for their pick to win based on the nominees. Voter 2 is the only one of those 7 in the animation branch.
I'm actually pleasantly surprised how many voters said they abstained from voting in a category when they hadn't seen all/most of the nominees.

dirty_score

Post by dirty_score » January 25th, 2018, 11:44 pm

The "funny" years were definitely:

2003 - when Shihiro won. No Disney/Pixar movies and the most fierce competition was... Ice Age.

2006 - Wallace & Gromit wins against Burton's Corpse Bride and Miyazaki's Howl's Moving Castle.

and

2007 - Went to Happy Feet. And the only time Pixar lost because the nominated film was Cars... since then, has been Pixar/Disney.

But it will be curious to see how the next Pixar movies will fare since they're gonna be sequels and not original movies. Toy Story 3 may be the exception (the award was created after the 2nd movie so maybe they needed to give them one?) but sequels never won anything.

Shrek was the first oscar winner but Shrek 2 lost to Incredibles. The next Pixar movie will be Incredibles 2. If all goes well, Wes Anderson's Isle of Dogs will be a contender next year and he already lost to Pixar with Fantastic Mr. Fox (against Up).

Cynical Cinephile

Post by Cynical Cinephile » January 26th, 2018, 12:01 am

I haven't seen any so far (in time I'll see all of them I think), but I'd like to see Loving Vincent win. Why? Well, as an idea, it's more intriguing than all the rest together. It's a breath of fresh air. In a time where we've seen everything, it's something new.

But, Pixar will probably win (again).

*Don't get me wrong, I love Pixar films (most of them), but it seems like they win by default. When there's no Pixar film, then it's just regular Disney that wins. How the fuck did Big Hero 6 beat The Tale of Princess Kaguya??!!
Did voters even watch the films?
The truth is you're Donny, and I'm Walter. But I'm tryin', Ringo, I'm tryin' real hard to be The Dude.

:ICM: :letbxd: :imdb:

monty

Post by monty » January 26th, 2018, 12:12 am

How about two of this year's nominations, namely, Dreamworks Animation’s The Boss Baby and Blue Sky Studio’s Ferdinand?
Loads of people were confused by these nominations, since there was a general lack of passion and interest surrounding the films and the fact that neither had attempted anything cinematically remarkable. The nominations of these two films were even more surprising considering that this was one of the strongest years ever for the category. [Moreover,] amongst movie critics, The Boss Baby had only 52% positive reviews on Rotten Tomatoes and Ferdinand had 70% positive. Both of those are outliers in the animated feature Oscar category. The last time an animated film with a 70% or lower RT score was nominated was 13 years ago, when Shark Tale managed a nod with only 35% positive reviews. In fact, in the entire history of the award, only three other nominees besides Shark Tale have had critical reviews below the 70% threshold, and all of those were in the early years of the category, when there were far fewer quality contenders. Therefore, it seems highly unusual that the Academy would nominate not only one, but two lowly reviewed films in the same year, especially when the nominees over the past two years had all enjoyed critical reviews over 90%.

There’s a simple reason for this result though, and it’s because the Academy re-engineered the voting rules for the category this year, which we first reported last April. At the time, we suggested that weaker studio films could benefit from the new rules, and that fear has now been realized.

I spoke to an Academy member this morning, and the member believes that the culprit for the skewed results wasn’t that the Academy opened up the nomination committee more widely to all Academy members (previously, a smaller percentage of members outside of the Short Films and Feature Animation Branch were allowed to vote for the nominees), but rather the new preferential balloting system.

Each member, this person said, was assigned to watch a certain number of films (less than 10 of the 26 eligible features) and then they had to rank their top five choices. But here’s where it gets weird. In addition to the films they were assigned to watch, they also had to choose four other animated films and consider those in their pool. Keep in mind, the Academy members already had to watch around 10 films, so they may have not wished to choose four additional films to watch on top of those. This means there’s a good chance that they’d simply choose mainstream commercial releases that they’d seen at some point earlier in the year, giving the advantage to big studio films.

What’s not exactly clear at this point is why the Academy chose to break its own category and implement new rules that would increase the nomination odds for lesser films while handicapping better films. Such a move is contrary to the entire existence of the Oscars, which are intended to reward excellence in cinematic artistry and technical craft.
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/awards/2018- ... 56125.html
Last edited by monty on January 26th, 2018, 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » January 26th, 2018, 12:56 am

Such a move is contrary to the entire existence of the Oscars, which are intended to reward excellence in cinematic artistry and technical craft.
No way an adult actually believes this.

dirty_score

Post by dirty_score » January 23rd, 2019, 6:16 pm

My bet for this year is Spiderman: Into the spider-verse which could end the reign Disney/Pixar.

Incredibles 2 and Ralph breaks the Internet were subpar sequels imo and in the next years they will continue with more sequels.

Isle of Dogs is the dark horse and Mirai is obviously the P.C. choice for the last spot.

albajos

Post by albajos » January 23rd, 2019, 8:38 pm

Yes, forget about Black Panther. Spiderman: Into the spider-verse has the best black superhero to look up to.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » January 23rd, 2019, 9:57 pm

Spiderman: Into the spider-verse is the most likely winner, but Incredibles 2 might win. The voters are mostly people who don't care about animation, so the most-watched film has a good chance of winning, regardless of which film is best.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » January 24th, 2019, 6:22 am

I'm rooting for Into the Spider-verse myself. Haven't seen the film yet, but at least it does something new with CG animation and I did see Incredibles 2, which was completely terrible.

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » January 24th, 2019, 11:51 am

I think it might go for Spider-Verse or Isle of Dogs.
The first Incredibles 1 won the award (as well as sound editing) and received two additional noms (screenplay and sound mixing).
This time, Incredibles 2 is only up for the animated award (ditto for Spider-Verse). Isle of Dogs is also up for original score (for ten-time nominee/two-time winner Desplat, who was also nominated for the score for Anderson's previous animated effort - Mr. Fox lost both the score and animated awards to Pixar's Up that year).
Ralph 2 and Mirai are also only have one nomination apiece. Ralph 1 lost to Pixar's Brave last that year, and Hosoda's never been nominated before, so there's no precedent for him (though other Japanese animators have been nominated and won).

On top of mjf's point about the most-watched winning, the Academy also has a penchant for "It's Time" and "Overdue" narratives, as well as fixing past oversights.

So what am I getting at? Sequels actually get nominated fairly often, but only one has ever won (Toy Story 3, and it didn't hurt that the award didn't exist when the first two were made), and the reception for both sequels in this year is not nearly as high as their predecessors (though Incredibles 2 did make a shit-tonne of money). Mirai is in the "happy to be nominated" category, which leaves a showdown between Spider-Verse and Isle of Dogs (with Incredibles 2 as a possible spoiler if none of my above assumptions mean anything :P ).

At least it's a competition for the award this year, after the previous three were locked up pretty much when the winning films were released in theatres (Inside Out, Zootopia, and Coco).

My month-in-advance likelihood predictions:
1. Isle of Dogs (Anderson's never won an Oscar, and this may be the easiest place to reward him, as many will consider him "overdue" after losing all three noms for Grand Budapest)
2. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (something fresh, or a way to recognize a superhero movie)
3. Incredibles 2 (another superhero movie that made a lot of money and was enjoyed by a lot of people, but will inevitably be compared to the original)
4. Ralph Breaks the Internet
5. Mirai

Note: I've only seen 1 & 3, and doubt the other three will get releases here before the Oscars (or I missed the theatrical release if it happened), though they may become available online by then.

Teproc

Post by Teproc » January 24th, 2019, 2:15 pm

Having not seen Ralph Breaks the Internet (or Wreck-It-Ralph for that matter), I would rank them as follows:

1. Incredibles 2
2. Mirai
3. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
4. Isle of Dogs

I'd be fine with any of them winning though, I like them all to different degrees. I get that Incredibles 2 is not very interesting, I think no one does action better than Brad Bird in animation: that's what makes me prefer it over Spider-Man. The latter is much more innovative in how it uses the format, but in the end its climax suffers from the same problems as most live-action superhero films do, which I do not find to be the case with Incredibles 2.

I guess I am rooting against Isle of Dogs, because I think there's a whole section of the film (the one with the humans) that completely fails. I'm very happy Desplat was nominated though, I think it's my favorite score of the year.

wasabi

Post by wasabi » January 27th, 2019, 5:54 am

My ranking:
1. Isle of Dogs
2. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
3. Ralph Breaks the Internet
4. Incredibles 2
I liked Isle of Dogs more, but I think Spider-Man probably gonna win.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » January 27th, 2019, 3:12 pm

all I can say is that I hope Mirai comes out soon in an accessible form so my granddaughter, who has a new baby brother, can watch it.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

dirty_score

Post by dirty_score » January 27th, 2019, 7:35 pm

I forgot that Pixar can still win the oscar in the short category with Bao.