Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Animation (Results), 2016 awards (Aug 25th), 1987 (Aug 25th), Benelux (Aug 30th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Romance, UK/Ireland, <400 Checks
Film of the Week: The Great White Silence, September nominations (Aug 30th)

List Length

User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 6436
Joined: Jun 17, 2015
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

List Length

#1

Post by xianjiro » May 21st, 2016, 2:17 am

There have been numerous discussions in various topics, so now here's the poll - unofficial of course. Feel free to chime in and the number of titles that makes a good list.

edit 9 July 2018: Before moving, we had polls attached to this topic. Here were the results:

What's the right length for a list?
50 or fewer titles 0 (0%)
51 - 100 4 (8.3%)
101 - 250 19 (39.6%)
251 - 500 9 (18.8%)
501 - 1000 9 (18.8%)
1000 or more 7 (14.6%)
Total Votes: 48

Does the type of list affect the perfect length for you?
Yes 23 (26.1%)
No 8 (9.1%)
It depends 2 (2.3%)
Genre lists should be longer 10 (11.4%)
Genre lists should be shorter 5 (5.7%)
Country lists should be longer 0 (0%)
Country lists should be shorter 7 (8%)
Longer, shorter, it really just depends on the list 33 (37.5%)
Total Votes: 88

Do you agree with Tommy about the desirable length of official lists?
Yes - what tommy_leazaq says below is PERFECT 3 (8.8%)
Yes - I basically support what tommy_leazaq says below 18 (52.9%)
No - I've got another idea and will post it below 2 (5.9%)
No - I'm an obstructionist and will am prepared to fight about it 5 (14.7%)
Unsure - Whatcha talkin' 'bout Willis? 6 (17.6%)
Total Votes: 34
Last edited by xianjiro on July 9th, 2018, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

User avatar
monty
Posts: 12737
Joined: May 09, 2011
Contact:

#2

Post by monty » May 21st, 2016, 2:18 am

1,000 titles is way too big for a list to be made official.

User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 6436
Joined: Jun 17, 2015
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#3

Post by xianjiro » May 21st, 2016, 2:29 am

Sorry, second poll has two answers that are the same... but we'll still get the idea

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

tommy_leazaq
Donator
Posts: 3371
Joined: May 18, 2011
Location: Chennai, India
Contact:

#4

Post by tommy_leazaq » May 21st, 2016, 2:43 am

All time general (mixture of countries, years, genres) 1000... User polls 250.. Main Genre 150 to 200... Sub genres 100.. Top countries (usa, japan, france) 500.. Next tier countries/regions (italy, asia, germany, uk) 200-250.. next tier countries 100-150.. Smaller counrries 50..

User avatar
Kublai Khan
Posts: 628
Joined: Nov 09, 2014
Location: Sarasota, FL
Contact:

#5

Post by Kublai Khan » May 21st, 2016, 4:17 am

I agree with Tommy.

Nathan Treadway
Donator
Posts: 3642
Joined: Jun 26, 2015
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Contact:

#6

Post by Nathan Treadway » May 21st, 2016, 8:15 am

tommy_leazaq on May 20 2016, 08:43:25 PM wrote:All time general (mixture of countries, years, genres) 1000... User polls 250.. Main Genre 150 to 200... Sub genres 100.. Top countries (usa, japan, france) 500.. Next tier countries/regions (italy, asia, germany, uk) 200-250.. next tier countries 100-150.. Smaller counrries 50..
Something like this. I didn't vote for the first part of the poll, because my second answer was "Yes." Different lists require different lengths, and a lot of it depends on what the author was attempting to accomplish.
iCM

“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ (Matthew 25:37-40)

User avatar
Gershwin
Donator
Posts: 7067
Joined: May 17, 2011
Location: Leiden, NL
Contact:

#7

Post by Gershwin » May 21st, 2016, 8:50 am

Well put, Tommy. I voted for 100-250, but this is indeed how it should be.
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

User avatar
Melvelet
Posts: 1953
Joined: Mar 29, 2013
Contact:

#8

Post by Melvelet » May 21st, 2016, 9:01 am

monty on May 20 2016, 08:18:36 PM wrote:1,000 titles is way too big for a list to be made official.
Indeed, the site would be so much better without TSPDT, DtC and all those other Top 1000 lists
Current recommendation: Mutter Küsters' Fahrt zum Himmel (1975)


ImageImage


Current focus: Germany, Spain

User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 7727
Joined: Dec 29, 2012
Contact:

#9

Post by Lonewolf2003 » May 21st, 2016, 10:52 am

treadwaynathan on May 21 2016, 02:15:13 AM wrote:
tommy_leazaq on May 20 2016, 08:43:25 PM wrote:All time general (mixture of countries, years, genres) 1000... User polls 250.. Main Genre 150 to 200... Sub genres 100.. Top countries (usa, japan, france) 500.. Next tier countries/regions (italy, asia, germany, uk) 200-250.. next tier countries 100-150.. Smaller counrries 50..
Something like this. I didn't vote for the first part of the poll, because my second answer was "Yes." Different lists require different lengths, and a lot of it depends on what the author was attempting to accomplish.
I agree with this.

User avatar
Gershwin
Donator
Posts: 7067
Joined: May 17, 2011
Location: Leiden, NL
Contact:

#10

Post by Gershwin » May 21st, 2016, 2:36 pm

We should have a third poll: "Do you agree with Tommy about the desirable length of official lists?"
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

Mulholland
Posts: 1038
Joined: Oct 14, 2012
Contact:

#11

Post by Mulholland » May 21st, 2016, 2:49 pm

Melvelet on May 21 2016, 03:01:31 AM wrote:
monty on May 20 2016, 08:18:36 PM wrote:1,000 titles is way too big for a list to be made official.
Indeed, the site would be so much better without TSPDT, DtC and all those other Top 1000 lists
I think some of these lists like TSPDT and 1001 BYD have a place on the site as they are all time cross-genre lists.

Lists like More Noirs, Silent but Not Forgotten and (sorry mighty) They Shoot Zombies just don't inspire me to complete them because of their length.

User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 6436
Joined: Jun 17, 2015
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#12

Post by xianjiro » May 21st, 2016, 3:57 pm

Gershwin on May 21 2016, 08:36:57 AM wrote:We should have a third poll: "Do you agree with Tommy about the desirable length of official lists?"
Done and done.

:D

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

De Limgralois
Posts: 0
Joined: Apr 29, 2016
Contact:

#13

Post by De Limgralois » May 21st, 2016, 4:03 pm

Mulholland on May 21 2016, 08:49:43 AM wrote:
Melvelet on May 21 2016, 03:01:31 AM wrote:
monty on May 20 2016, 08:18:36 PM wrote:1,000 titles is way too big for a list to be made official.
Indeed, the site would be so much better without TSPDT, DtC and all those other Top 1000 lists
I think some of these lists like TSPDT and 1001 BYD have a place on the site as they are all time cross-genre lists.

Lists like More Noirs, Silent but Not Forgotten and (sorry mighty) They Shoot Zombies just don't inspire me to complete them because of their length.
Until you are the first one here complaining about They Shoot Zombies list, that's not a problem.

As my mom's always said, the perfect length is when you obtain an orgasm from me.

So, yes, what tommy said.


And now, what? if lists don't fit the criteria? "Hoops?!" and move on?^

"That's OK... " "No, that's my fault. I came too early." "Well, you know, I prefer small list." "Yeah?" "Sure." "You don't mind my Frankenweenie?" "Well, if I want the bigger one, I still may find it in another list..." "No, please, don't! I'm sorry."

User avatar
WalterNeff
Donator
Posts: 3041
Joined: Jul 27, 2011
Contact:

#14

Post by WalterNeff » May 21st, 2016, 4:23 pm

I need a large Noir list to compensate for my small dingus.

User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 6436
Joined: Jun 17, 2015
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#15

Post by xianjiro » May 21st, 2016, 4:26 pm

How does the title "WalterNeff's The Extra Long - Thick and Uncut - List of Anything Even Remotely Noirish Ever Produced Anywhere at Anytime by Anyone"

I vote to make it official sight unseen.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi
Posts: 11696
Joined: May 29, 2011
Contact:

#16

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi » May 21st, 2016, 4:30 pm

No, Tommy's breakdown is far too schematic. Lists should be considered, discussed, and voted on on a case by case basis -- AS THEY HAVE BEEN.

I find it strange to re-litigate lists that already been discussed, hashed out, voted on, and adopted long ago. If you feel strongly about what should and shouldn't get adopted, then get involved in the discussion and voting when we're doing the rounds of new possibilities.

User avatar
WalterNeff
Donator
Posts: 3041
Joined: Jul 27, 2011
Contact:

#17

Post by WalterNeff » May 21st, 2016, 4:35 pm

xianjiro on May 21 2016, 10:26:31 AM wrote:How does the title "WalterNeff's The Extra Long - Thick and Uncut - List of Anything Even Remotely Noirish Ever Produced Anywhere at Anytime by Anyone"

I vote to make it official sight unseen.
I thank you, and my Falcon thanks you and my cat thanks you.

User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 6436
Joined: Jun 17, 2015
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#18

Post by xianjiro » May 21st, 2016, 4:37 pm

WalterNeff on May 21 2016, 10:35:05 AM wrote:
xianjiro on May 21 2016, 10:26:31 AM wrote:How does the title "WalterNeff's The Extra Long - Thick and Uncut - List of Anything Even Remotely Noirish Ever Produced Anywhere at Anytime by Anyone"

I vote to make it official sight unseen.
I thank you, and my Falcon thanks you and my cat thanks you.
Such interesting names guys give 'it.'

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 6436
Joined: Jun 17, 2015
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#19

Post by xianjiro » May 21st, 2016, 4:41 pm

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on May 21 2016, 10:30:58 AM wrote:No, Tommy's breakdown is far too schematic. Lists should be considered, discussed, and voted on on a case by case basis -- AS THEY HAVE BEEN.

I find it strange to re-litigate lists that already been discussed, hashed out, voted on, and adopted long ago. If you feel strongly about what should and shouldn't get adopted, then get involved in the discussion and voting when we're doing the rounds of new possibilities.
Well said as well.

Please don't take this as an attempt to re-litigate existing lists or hamstring future consideration - that certainly wasn't my intent. However, another discussion was going every which way but forward and I thought it would be interesting, informative, and unofficial to ask a couple questions and see what folks have to say.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi
Posts: 11696
Joined: May 29, 2011
Contact:

#20

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi » May 21st, 2016, 4:49 pm

xianjiro on May 21 2016, 10:41:47 AM wrote:
Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on May 21 2016, 10:30:58 AM wrote:No, Tommy's breakdown is far too schematic. Lists should be considered, discussed, and voted on on a case by case basis -- AS THEY HAVE BEEN.

I find it strange to re-litigate lists that already been discussed, hashed out, voted on, and adopted long ago. If you feel strongly about what should and shouldn't get adopted, then get involved in the discussion and voting when we're doing the rounds of new possibilities.
Well said as well.

Please don't take this as an attempt to re-litigate existing lists or hamstring future consideration - that certainly wasn't my intent. However, another discussion was going every which way but forward and I thought it would be interesting, informative, and unofficial to ask a couple questions and see what folks have to say.
No, you're not one I had in mind with 're-litigating.' I have no problem at all with the questions you've been asking, and I think it's good to have an ongoing discussion about what gets adopted and why. I have just been flabbergasted in the last 72 hours as to HOW this is being discussed.

User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 6436
Joined: Jun 17, 2015
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#21

Post by xianjiro » May 21st, 2016, 4:58 pm

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on May 21 2016, 10:49:26 AM wrote:
xianjiro on May 21 2016, 10:41:47 AM wrote:
Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on May 21 2016, 10:30:58 AM wrote:No, Tommy's breakdown is far too schematic. Lists should be considered, discussed, and voted on on a case by case basis -- AS THEY HAVE BEEN.

I find it strange to re-litigate lists that already been discussed, hashed out, voted on, and adopted long ago. If you feel strongly about what should and shouldn't get adopted, then get involved in the discussion and voting when we're doing the rounds of new possibilities.
Well said as well.

Please don't take this as an attempt to re-litigate existing lists or hamstring future consideration - that certainly wasn't my intent. However, another discussion was going every which way but forward and I thought it would be interesting, informative, and unofficial to ask a couple questions and see what folks have to say.
No, you're not one I had in mind with 're-litigating.' I have no problem at all with the questions you've been asking, and I think it's good to have an ongoing discussion about what gets adopted and why. I have just been flabbergasted in the last 72 hours as to HOW this is being discussed.
Yeah. Well. You've got a point there.

But it's the internet.

Whacanyadoabooowdit?

:pinch:

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

User avatar
ChrisReynolds
Donator
Posts: 2403
Joined: Dec 29, 2011
Location: London, UK
Contact:

#22

Post by ChrisReynolds » May 21st, 2016, 7:57 pm

I don't think lists should be over 50 and not much over 1000. 1200 for the Doubling the Canon list, is about the limit.

When it comes to assigning list sizes to different types of list, it has to be done on a case by case basis. Doubling the Canon is the longest list despite being a fan poll on a website forum because it has a unique perspective and is a valuable resource for people who want to explore films which have high regard from fans but have escaped critical attention.

Only one question needs to be asked when considering lists: will it be a valuable resource for people who check movies? It must bring people to work on it and bring films to people's attention.

User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 7727
Joined: Dec 29, 2012
Contact:

#23

Post by Lonewolf2003 » May 21st, 2016, 9:29 pm

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on May 21 2016, 10:30:58 AM wrote: I find it strange to re-litigate lists that already been discussed, hashed out, voted on, and adopted long ago. If you feel strongly about what should and shouldn't get adopted, then get involved in the discussion and voting when we're doing the rounds of new possibilities.
I totally agree.

De Limgralois
Posts: 0
Joined: Apr 29, 2016
Contact:

#24

Post by De Limgralois » May 21st, 2016, 11:15 pm

I totally disagree.

Every adopted lists should or has been discussed on the forum? I wasn't aware about admission about a horror list cause I never put my noise in this thread. Why? no only because I don't care much about horror, but because I didn't think that such a stupid list could be adopted. So, I know it when it's adopted as 98% of iCM members. And here I find it litigious. As usual horror fans just conspire in the dark, close violently the door and attack from behind.

And if a list is too long, not enough authoritative or whatever, it should be said AND changed. Ask Allison, when you vote you don't only ask your friends to participate.

mjf314
Moderator
Posts: 10771
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#25

Post by mjf314 » May 21st, 2016, 11:37 pm

De Limgralois on May 21 2016, 05:15:48 PM wrote:Every adopted lists should or has been discussed on the forum? I wasn't aware about admission about a horror list cause I never put my noise in this thread.
viewtopic.php?t=1603&1/

Out of 61 votes, 51 people voted that it should be official, 6 people voted that it should not be official, and 4 people did not care.

User avatar
Harco
Donator
Posts: 374
Joined: May 03, 2013
Location: Groningen
Contact:

#26

Post by Harco » May 29th, 2016, 1:17 am

Top 1000 for every genre ftw.

User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 29326
Joined: May 05, 2011
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#27

Post by mightysparks » May 29th, 2016, 2:03 am

I agree with Local and Chris. Depends on each individual list. I tend to prefer bigger lists since it gives a wider view, but only if that length is warranted.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image

mjf314
Moderator
Posts: 10771
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#28

Post by mjf314 » May 29th, 2016, 2:08 am

mightysparks on May 28 2016, 08:03:18 PM wrote:I agree with Local and Chris. Depends on each individual list. I tend to prefer bigger lists since it gives a wider view, but only if that length is warranted.
How do you decide whether or not a larger list is warranted?

User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 29326
Joined: May 05, 2011
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#29

Post by mightysparks » May 29th, 2016, 2:11 am

mjf314 on May 28 2016, 08:08:04 PM wrote:
mightysparks on May 28 2016, 08:03:18 PM wrote:I agree with Local and Chris. Depends on each individual list. I tend to prefer bigger lists since it gives a wider view, but only if that length is warranted.
How do you decide whether or not a larger list is warranted?
Source/type/purpose. A top 1000 Filipino films list would be stupid, but a top 50 US films would also be stupid.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image

mjf314
Moderator
Posts: 10771
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#30

Post by mjf314 » May 29th, 2016, 2:14 am

mightysparks on May 28 2016, 08:11:44 PM wrote:
mjf314 on May 28 2016, 08:08:04 PM wrote:
mightysparks on May 28 2016, 08:03:18 PM wrote:I agree with Local and Chris. Depends on each individual list. I tend to prefer bigger lists since it gives a wider view, but only if that length is warranted.
How do you decide whether or not a larger list is warranted?
Source/type/purpose. A top 1000 Filipino films list would be stupid, but a top 50 US films would also be stupid.
What about sci-fi, for example? Would a top 1000 sci-fi be warranted?

User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 29326
Joined: May 05, 2011
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#31

Post by mightysparks » May 29th, 2016, 2:17 am

mjf314 on May 28 2016, 08:14:36 PM wrote:
mightysparks on May 28 2016, 08:11:44 PM wrote:
mjf314 on May 28 2016, 08:08:04 PM wrote:How do you decide whether or not a larger list is warranted?
Source/type/purpose. A top 1000 Filipino films list would be stupid, but a top 50 US films would also be stupid.
What about sci-fi, for example? Would a top 1000 sci-fi be warranted?
I don't know enough about sci-fi to decide that. And it would probably depend on the list.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image

User avatar
monty
Posts: 12737
Joined: May 09, 2011
Contact:

#32

Post by monty » May 29th, 2016, 7:49 am

mightysparks on May 28 2016, 08:17:25 PM wrote:
mjf314 on May 28 2016, 08:14:36 PM wrote:
mightysparks on May 28 2016, 08:11:44 PM wrote:Source/type/purpose. A top 1000 Filipino films list would be stupid, but a top 50 US films would also be stupid.
What about sci-fi, for example? Would a top 1000 sci-fi be warranted?
I don't know enough about sci-fi to decide that. And it would probably depend on the list.
Like in, if it were of the They-Shoot-Aliens-Don't-They type? After all, such lists have been widely known for the high level of quality they bring to the table...
Last edited by monty on May 29th, 2016, 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

De Limgralois
Posts: 0
Joined: Apr 29, 2016
Contact:

#33

Post by De Limgralois » May 29th, 2016, 10:34 am

mjf314 on May 21 2016, 05:37:15 PM wrote:
De Limgralois on May 21 2016, 05:15:48 PM wrote:Every adopted lists should or has been discussed on the forum? I wasn't aware about admission about a horror list cause I never put my noise in this thread.
viewtopic.php?t=1603&1/

Out of 61 votes, 51 people voted that it should be official, 6 people voted that it should not be official, and 4 people did not care.
Ask again Allison what is a biased poll.

1/ the person who creates the poll is the person who creates the list

2/ the person who creates the poll and creates this list is the person who created the forum

3/ members around who don't care about this person posts just ignore them therefore avoid this kind of poll

4/ smart and patient members on iCM have already avoided the forum because of all of this

And you still pretend that it's a legit poll, and you're a lists mod.

Good work.

So now, questions. Is it a good list? No. Is it a needed list? Not with 1 000 films. Is it necessary to have such a long list with such a genre? No. Is the list biased itself because the "author" decides which lists should be taken into consideration and not others? Yes. Is there a lot of non-horror films in this selection (if we can consider a list of a thousand films a "selection")? Yes. Were most of yet horror great films already in lists? Yes. So, actually this list has been adopted to improved an old list in which only a dozen of films missed? Yes. So, if it has been done once with a "genre" why don't we reiterate the process with other official lists which are not update? Because, it's all about cooptation. Is this list make iCM less legit and a little piece of crap? Yes. Will list mods take in consideration all criticisms about this adoption? No. Are they ashame? No. Will it happen again? Of course, because all "friendly" members care less about shitty lists than being friendly with this horror fan running the forum and this list. When cooptation has begun, everyone wants his share.

It's less a list length issue than a corruption scale issue.
Last edited by De Limgralois on May 29th, 2016, 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi
Posts: 11696
Joined: May 29, 2011
Contact:

#34

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi » May 29th, 2016, 2:45 pm

Jesus. As soon as she comes back, they start in again. Now all we need is the third one to attack aggressively, calling her "shrill" and "hysterical" in the process, and we'll have completed the trifecta. There is a creepy dynamic going on here and it needs to stop. Speaking of corruption, these unbalanced pitbull attacks are damaging the forum, if you can't see it.

Face it: as the last post inadvertently admits, you blew it during the vetting process for one list, and now you want to scream after the fact. You don't even agree about what's so outrageous, except that there's an Illuminati-style conspiracy afoot.

Here are my suggestions:

1. Don't concentrate your energies on polls that have already been discussed, voted on, and adopted in the forum. And if you think there was not enough discussion or votes, well, that leads to point #2 ...

2. By all means, make your complaints about list criteria known (all three of you have important contributions to make), but do so when the rounds of discussion and voting are happening -- or any time, really, but not to attack lists that have already been vetted. And for the love of God, drop the conspiracy theory attacks.

I am sure that these suggestions will be ignored, but you should consider the notion that even a legitimate point made with too much vitriol and over-the-top accusation will be counter-productive.
Last edited by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on May 29th, 2016, 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 29326
Joined: May 05, 2011
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#35

Post by mightysparks » May 29th, 2016, 3:27 pm

I never made that poll.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image

mathiasa
Posts: 2202
Joined: Aug 18, 2013
Contact:

#36

Post by mathiasa » May 29th, 2016, 4:01 pm

monty on May 29 2016, 01:49:20 AM wrote:
mightysparks on May 28 2016, 08:17:25 PM wrote:
mjf314 on May 28 2016, 08:14:36 PM wrote:What about sci-fi, for example? Would a top 1000 sci-fi be warranted?
I don't know enough about sci-fi to decide that. And it would probably depend on the list.
Like in, if it were of the They-Shoot-Aliens-Don't-They type? After all, such lists have been widely known for the high level of quality they bring to the table...
I know you're trolling but I'd welcome that list - check that, I'd compile it myself if I knew how.

User avatar
Melvelet
Posts: 1953
Joined: Mar 29, 2013
Contact:

#37

Post by Melvelet » May 30th, 2016, 5:39 pm

mathiasa on May 29 2016, 10:01:30 AM wrote:
monty on May 29 2016, 01:49:20 AM wrote:
mightysparks on May 28 2016, 08:17:25 PM wrote:I don't know enough about sci-fi to decide that. And it would probably depend on the list.
Like in, if it were of the They-Shoot-Aliens-Don't-They type? After all, such lists have been widely known for the high level of quality they bring to the table...
I know you're trolling but I'd welcome that list - check that, I'd compile it myself if I knew how.
Mostly with mjf's filmcounter program: viewtopic.php?t=997&1/
And finding a lot of lists of course
Current recommendation: Mutter Küsters' Fahrt zum Himmel (1975)


ImageImage


Current focus: Germany, Spain

User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 6436
Joined: Jun 17, 2015
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#38

Post by xianjiro » May 30th, 2016, 7:05 pm

But should an official list contain more than 1 or 2% of films listed for a given genre? I guess a related question is, are we going for a survey list or best of list, regardless if it's country or genre? Clearly a survey list is going to have a much higher percentage of films meeting a given criteria on the list.

Even for the best of all time type lists, I'm not convinced that 1000 isn't way too long. Now that I'm getting down to the final 100-150 films, I find I'm scratching my head wondering how this or that film made such a list and those are lists that aren't limited by genre or country of origin.

I'd say a good max for official lists is 500-750 if it's a broad list. But would also like to see a percentage range tied to number of films listed on IMDb, again regardless if its country or genre.

Simply put, 1000 Westerns or RomComs would be overkill (as would 500 Swiss or Colombian films). I'd find a curated listing of either genre clocking over 250 titles suspect.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

User avatar
Minkin
Posts: 327
Joined: Jan 13, 2015
Contact:

#39

Post by Minkin » May 30th, 2016, 11:29 pm

I honestly get more upset when a list updates frequently -especially when its a longer list. Like I'm never even going to bother with the TSPDT 21st century list, because whats honestly the point? I'm not going to sit through alot of the garbage on that list, just for a check that will in all serious likelihood be gone next year. In all honestly, this same issue has rather killed the TSZDT? list as well. I was making excellent progress on the old Horror list, but now I fear how much of the list will change for the next update. I know its meant to be dynamic, but it would be nice to know how much will change with each update - like will several hundred films be dropped off /removed, or will it just be a handful? The result of the TSZDT being favored over the other is that my horror film watching has dropped WAY back - and I've mostly only been watching horror films that Im interested in, a placement in the TSZDT list doesn't motivate me to want to watch it (whereas if its on another list (other than 21st century) - I'll be much more likely to see it). I'll likely be more open to TSZDT once I find out how much changes each year - but even then, I think it would've been better as 10 subgenre lists, rather than 1 unwieldy list that changes each year.

Edit - I see that it has been updated and there are 45 additions. Thats about the same as the standard TSPDT list, but still - having a list with that many films really puts you off of it, regardless of genre/type/etc. It still remains a list that would take you several years to make any meaningful progress on -and only if you focus entirely on it! Assuming you watch a film /day, thats still 3 years -and only if you watch nothing but horror films! Madness.

I can stand lists that add films each year/month, as the core list remains, you don't lose checks and don't have to worry about having watched something in vain. Whereas when the list changes each year, you start caring about it less /seeking out those films less -since you might have sat through something and gained no rewards for your troubles. Large lists that don't change (noirs, unesco) can still be annoying - but at least something stays checked.

Here I'll finally admit that I absolutely hate the ICM Forum list. I don't know why anyone decided it should be 500 films + update so radically every year. That list doesn't have any appeal unless you're one of the hardcore members here that use KG and watch ten films a day -thus you're always wanting for more. As an ideal - the list is intended to serve as broader recommendations of lesser known films - that will inspire you to dig deeper. For normal humans /checkers, that doesn't exactly work as planned. I've only seen 32 films on the list (6.4%), yet I'm ranked in the top 700. Only 34 people have seen 50% of this list! I think that's more of a sign of a poor list that isn't working. Then you factor in the yearly changes, and it just becomes a huge mess - as nobody can expect to ever complete such a list; and when you can't complete a list, you tend to not really care about it. What would be so wrong about making it a top 50? Or even 100? That way you spotlight lesser known titles, but it doesn't become so overwhelming that you don't even bother. Unless the length or the frequent updates are altered, its just a KG obsession list - and normal ICM users need not bother. Perhaps another poll about how many feature films you watch in a year would offer an example with how rather out of touch with reality this forum can be (watching one feature length film a day is even far beyond normal viewing habits, I don't know how some people manage 3+ a day, without sacrificing their health).

I find 100 films to be the perfect length, with 250 being about the maximum of acceptability. After that, the focus of the list starts to wander and you end up with more filler/films that don't pertain best to the standards of the list. Naturally, the worst example of this is when the 21st century expanded four fold - you ended up with alot of absolutely terrible films that should not be on there. Granted, this list will improve every year, but its annoying to have a list that won't be exactly worthwhile for another few decades. Still, if you can't confine any list to 100, then perhaps you should narrow the focus - which would ultimately be a good thing for ICM. I mean how many more lists can 2001 possibly be on? I'd even rather large lists be broken down in halves to make them more manageable - that way you can at least attempt progress on a list without spending years & years. Again, this might help better with user retention - so as to not frighten people away when those interested in lists get scared away by their overwhelming length /etc.
Last edited by Minkin on May 30th, 2016, 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 6436
Joined: Jun 17, 2015
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#40

Post by xianjiro » May 31st, 2016, 12:11 am

Interesting points. Thanks for chiming in. I too have 'concerns' with list updates, but I haven't really worked out how I feel about them. I'm annoyed when I lose a platinum on my completed IMDb lists, exasperated when my progress is whipped out on lists with radical annual (or so) changes, and disgruntled working through either the Film Comedy or Action! lists since they both feel so dated at this point.

Yeah, it's kind of a mixed bag, and since I haven't run across much generalized discussion about list updates, I've not said much. I'm suspicious that there we be a fair amount of variation in feelings in the user base and their reaction to list updates will depend on if they are motivated by things like medals, list completion, list ranking, or film exposure.

I think pointing to the 21st Century list is a good case in point - last year I was really annoyed when I lost a bunch of checks but this year I barely noticed. Was it just the checks I lost were replaced by checks I already had? I rather like that list because it guides me to newer films of note and so I'm more aggressive watching it than anything other than TSZDT or maybe Criterion.

Maybe after others chime in someone (or I) will do another topic with polls to gauge how people feel about updates though at this point I don't feel I've got a telling question to ask.

So, besides list length, how do you feel about list updates?

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Post Reply