Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: 1933 (Results), 1970s (May 29th), Essential Cinema (Jun 30th)
Challenges: Japan, Mystery/Thriller, Western
Film of the Week: La donna del lago, June nominations (May 28th)

Puzzled by ICM

Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Ah, 2016, the golden days of the ICM Board.

> New Forum user makes post about issue
> A 200-post shitstorm with lots of personal attacks no one outside the community would ever get unfolds
> New Forum user never to be seen again

:lol:

Pity actually, we're not always* like this! ..

*like.. every.. once in a while..
cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage »

xianjiro wrote: January 25th, 2021, 10:00 am wasn't sure exactly where I'd put this, but this seems like an appropriate place and returns a thread from the undead - what could be more appropriate after finishing Juan de los Muertos (2011)? I make no comments about it's inclusion on TSZDT, but at 160 on Cinema Tropical's Best Latin American Films 2010-2019, I have to assume that's about the place where bloat has set in and started to putrefy. I know comments have been made about "shortening" this list, especially given the companion list from the prior decade is just under half as long, but I guess that's the list they published - but what were they thinking? And does this mean it made the list because one programmer gave it #1 or something like that? :shrug: UGH!
I remember seeing it at a genre film festival (the BIFFF), and it was introduced as a milestone marking Cuba's first steps into the horror genre... I can understand that genre amators want a production of their own country... As such, it can understably deserve a specific attention, even though it is certainly not Soy Cuba material...
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Torgo wrote: January 25th, 2021, 1:38 pm Ah, 2016, the golden days of the ICM Board.

> New Forum user makes post about issue
> A 200-post shitstorm with lots of personal attacks no one outside the community would ever get unfolds
> New Forum user never to be seen again

:lol:

Pity actually, we're not always* like this! ..

*like.. every.. once in a while..
Nothing attacking benhere, right?
Do you really think such a user would be scared off by some "discussion" about TSZDT? (I reread the first page of this thread, nothing more)
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Mh, I'm not sure what you mean by your message, pardon me. It's just a prime example of how to scare people off who are new to a community. Things really got heated in the following pages (after page one), although I myself enjoy such a "well that escalated quickly" kind of internet drama from time to time. But if I were new ..:
Lammetje wrote: May 20th, 2016, 8:06 pm Talking about a thread spiraling out of control... Holy shit! :blink:
Noirville wrote: May 20th, 2016, 3:45 pm If someone new entered this forum and this is the first topic they saw they'd probably think this forum is toxic... so much chatter about such a non issue. (u)
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Sorry, just looked at the end of the thread before resurrecting. But hey, a zombie thread with a post about the undead seems quite on point. Let's just use fake blood, okay? lol

Still, I thought the CG in Juan de los muertos not very believable. Also, it's treatment of LGBTQ characters, at best, was retrograde. Cuban genre milestone maybe but it seems more like a candidate for a best of the worst type list, but hardly in league with something like Roma.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

It sure was a lot more fun to watch than Roma. And I don't think the horror genre in general is too occupied with proper/thoughtful minority representation, certainly not horror/comedies. As for bad visual effects, 2001 is pretty popular isn't it?

Edit: reading through the rest of this thread is hilarious btw. It's been a long time since I saw this kind of "typical" cinephile behavior. Ah, the good old times.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Torgo wrote: January 25th, 2021, 6:53 pm Mh, I'm not sure what you mean by your message, pardon me. It's just a prime example of how to scare people off who are new to a community. Things really got heated in the following pages (after page one), although I myself enjoy such a "well that escalated quickly" kind of internet drama from time to time. But if I were new ..:
Lammetje wrote: May 20th, 2016, 8:06 pm Talking about a thread spiraling out of control... Holy shit! :blink:
Noirville wrote: May 20th, 2016, 3:45 pm If someone new entered this forum and this is the first topic they saw they'd probably think this forum is toxic... so much chatter about such a non issue. (u)
I should have reread further than the first page.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

While I remember the post so damn well, I had no idea it was this thread. So I've no remorse this has come up after some time. Especially now after we've had some sort of reckoning about something or another and the fact that people drift away. Even after my impassioned plea in another thread for others to not feel like they aren't good enough to post here, I've been struggling for at least a week trying to decide just how I feel about this forum right now. I've said I feel more connected to regular forum contributors than I do to my neighbors, but that doesn't mean at times it doesn't feel a bit co-dependent and I question what I want out of this "relationship."

Divorce is always an option.

For me the first post that took things to the negative was made by one of the forum's owners. I have to state, if we are concerned about tone, like everything in this world, the tone is set by those at the top of the pyramid. While I've tried my damnedest to be supportive over the intervening period, rereading that one message has filled me with a quiet, white-hot rage. I know no one wants to revisit the discussion that got so ugly, so I have one question to ask. (besides the question posed by Joachimt: "Do you really think such a user would be scared off by some "discussion" about TSZDT?" Hard to say, he may have had no interest other than getting an answer to his own question and at that time this was the only place he could get any answer? Or yeah, maybe 20 other possible explanations. It's probably way too late to find out now.)

I've decided I don't know exactly what I want to ask other than is there an understanding that we don't want this to happen again? If we don't, then how do we prevent it? And if Owners/Mods don't have enough time to keep up with the threads and users don't trust reporting posts, because certainly then and maybe now, why would I think reporting an owner's post would do anything but cause even more trouble?

IDK, I get why people drift away. It's hard work to communicate and no matter how hard you work at it, it's never going to be good enough. It's a movie forum. Why would anyone want to work this hard?

I know I've worked way too hard on this post and that's probably not good but I don't know what else to say or do when feeling so despondent after this accidental reminder of the forum's potential toxicity. :/ Again, if this is how people feel, is it any wonder ...
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Well, I never revisited this thread after my last post here and had totally forgotten all about this stuff. I will note that when I made my initial angry post it wasn't directed at you specifically, but the few months leading up to that point a few members had been baiting me about TSZDT, which I'd ignored, and I finally snapped at that point. I was also going through a lot of personal stuff at the time (which is not really an excuse, but I definitely was riled up/depressed/not doing well at that point in time). But after skimming through the initial discussion and some of the responses that happened after, I would not pinpoint my post as the 'toxic' part of it. If someone has a problem with a mod/admin's post, people can report it and we'll discuss it. It's not just up to one of us and we try to be objective when looking at reported posts.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

mightysparks wrote: January 26th, 2021, 10:03 am But after skimming through the initial discussion and some of the responses that happened after, I would not pinpoint my post as the 'toxic' part of it. If someone has a problem with a mod/admin's post, people can report it and we'll discuss it. It's not just up to one of us and we try to be objective when looking at reported posts.
Unfortunately, as a relatively new user, it was and clearly has remained relatively toxic to me. I had returned to remove my prior post since I don't really want to cause more pain, but now that another response specifically refers to my post, well, re/moving it would just muck things up even more.

Of course my hope is I will never feel the need to take you up on the second sentence I've quoted above, but it's good to at least have that pledge. Thank you.
peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

Something happened to my ranking on ICM recently and I can't figure out how it happened: I have between 3500-4000 films checked, but I am an "extra" and have no rank listed. I used to, but I suspect I updated something and inadvertently checked something that removed my ranking? That's the only thing I can think of that could have happened... :unsure:

(also, I coulnd;t find a more appropriate thread for this question, so someone point me elsewhere if need be)
72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm »

peeptoad wrote: March 30th, 2021, 12:10 pmI have between 3500-4000 films checked, but I am an "extra" and have no rank listed. I used to, but I suspect I updated something and inadvertently checked something that removed my ranking?
Go to settings —> privacy —> movie checks.

Change to public and you will get your rank back (it takes a while though).
peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

Thanks 72. I did mess with the settings recently so not surprised.
72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm »

Speaking of puzzled. I do now get popup ads on icheckmovies. On my phone so can’t do anything about it either...
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

I don't know where to put this, so I'm bumping another less-than-active thread.

What exactly is the difference between "watchlisting" or "favoriting" a list on ICM? Are there different features and usecases to this?
WalterNeff
Donator

Post by WalterNeff »

Torgo wrote: April 9th, 2021, 8:24 pm I don't know where to put this, so I'm bumping another less-than-active thread.

What exactly is the difference between "watchlisting" or "favoriting" a list on ICM? Are there different features and usecases to this?
I know that I can use the iCM Enhanced Cross-Reference function among lists that I have favorited. I've never used the watchlist function.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Torgo wrote: April 9th, 2021, 8:24 pm What exactly is the difference between "watchlisting" or "favoriting" a list on ICM? Are there different features and usecases to this?
You can use them functionally the same I think, but their intent is different.

You favorite a list you love, also when it is finished. You watchlist the list you want to work on, which says little about their specific quality. And most people will probably remove a list from their watchlist once they have finished it.

But I don't think there's anything that forces you to use it like that :)
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

That's what I figured so far and was curious if there's more to that. Walter's info is pretty good :thumbsup:
(I remember that I even used that feature of Enhanced just last autumn, but totally forgot it by now!)
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

Onderhond wrote: April 9th, 2021, 8:46 pm
Torgo wrote: April 9th, 2021, 8:24 pm What exactly is the difference between "watchlisting" or "favoriting" a list on ICM? Are there different features and usecases to this?
You can use them functionally the same I think, but their intent is different.

You favorite a list you love, also when it is finished. You watchlist the list you want to work on, which says little about their specific quality. And most people will probably remove a list from their watchlist once they have finished it.

But I don't think there's anything that forces you to use it like that :)
That is indeed how I use both those features. But we already know that people use iCM in very different ways (and for different reasons), so I wouldn't be surprised if we see the same with how these two features are used.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.