Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Waiting for results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th)
Challenges: Experimental/Avant Garde, Benelux, Run the Director
Film of the Week: Daisan no kagemusha, March nominations (Feb 26th)

Puzzled by ICM

benhere
Posts: 4
Joined: March 8th, 2013, 7:00 am
Contact:

Puzzled by ICM

#1

Post by benhere »

I've been on ICM for at least 4 years, my ranking is quite high (80, and I play by the rules) but I've been increasingly puzzled by how and when the rankings are updated.

It seems that the updates occur on a more and more irregular basis. I hadn't been updated recently for over a week, then suddenly I lost 4 official checks and dropped two places, while others around me seemed to receive a dozen, two dozen new checks and moved up 2, 3, 4 places.

I know this will happen when new lists are released or existing lists are significantly updated, but I never saw a new blog post indicating that this had recently occurred.

Today, the folks around me received new checks but I did not, although I have some new ones from the last few days awaiting credit.

I also do not see anymore the weekly messages regarding films that have been added or removed from official lists - I don't know if that's been discontinued or if I've just fallen off the Update queue.

I've always regarded ICM as an amusement and a friendly competition - I know in the scheme of things it 'doesn't amount to a hill of beans'. But it's slowly becoming less fun, less predictable and less understandable.

Anybody have insight as to what's going on behind the curtain? And has there been a recent adding or updating of the lists?

Thanks,
benhere
User avatar
zuma
Donator
Posts: 2198
Joined: June 14th, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Contact:

#2

Post by zuma »

Doubling the Canon and They Shoot Zombies Don't They? were just updated. Lots of new/removed on each. Especially for the DTC list.
User avatar
cinephage
Donator
Posts: 4279
Joined: November 11th, 2011, 7:00 am
Contact:

#3

Post by cinephage »

The Doubling the Canon list has been updated recently, as well as the They shoot zombies, don't they list. It may explain major bumps in your ranking and number of checks.

These changes usually take time to get implemented, which make them hard to understand.

Edit : I can see this makes a lot of disturbances among the dwellers of the page 4 of the rankings list... ^_^
Last edited by cinephage on May 16th, 2016, 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Tasselfoot
Posts: 465
Joined: May 6th, 2014, 6:00 am
Contact:

#4

Post by Tasselfoot »

Also, this thread: viewtopic.php?t=2051& usually mentions every list update that is non-standard (aka, not IMDB / Box Office / new Criterion, etc).
User avatar
Gershwin
Donator
Posts: 7149
Joined: May 17th, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: Leiden, NL
Contact:

#5

Post by Gershwin »

But besides, there's indeed a problem with the server capacity etcetera, if I understood correctly, which makes that many people don't receive all messages with the most recent updates, and that not all profiles are updated simultaneously. You might have to wait a week before your iCM profile displays the proper amount of checks.

Not sure whether anything's being done about this.
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM
Marijn
Posts: 140
Joined: June 24th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#6

Post by Marijn »

Gershwin on May 16 2016, 09:13:08 AM wrote:But besides, there's indeed a problem with the server capacity etcetera, if I understood correctly, which makes that many people don't receive all messages with the most recent updates, and that not all profiles are updated simultaneously. You might have to wait a week before your iCM profile displays the proper amount of checks.

Not sure whether anything's being done about this.
That's indeed true. The core of iCM is quite old and needs serious overhauling. I'm working hard on this (next to the redesign).
User avatar
bal3x
Donator
Posts: 13073
Joined: May 26th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#7

Post by bal3x »

Marijn on May 16 2016, 09:22:13 AM wrote:
Gershwin on May 16 2016, 09:13:08 AM wrote:But besides, there's indeed a problem with the server capacity etcetera, if I understood correctly, which makes that many people don't receive all messages with the most recent updates, and that not all profiles are updated simultaneously. You might have to wait a week before your iCM profile displays the proper amount of checks.

Not sure whether anything's being done about this.
That's indeed true. The core of iCM is quite old and needs serious overhauling. I'm working hard on this (next to the redesign).
Thanks, Marijn! Your efforts are much appreciated! I posted about this in another thread - would it be possible for your to get some help with the maintenance of the site? I realise that you cannot do everything on your own, there's just too much on your plate and that is delaying development (and clearly there are quite a few problems with the site now, in fact I don't dare to report the issues since I'm sure you are aware of them). Perhaps it would be possible to involve volunteers, testers etc. to help you out. I understand that getting more staff could be problematic due financial considerations.
Cippenham
Donator
Posts: 13430
Joined: May 9th, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: Dorset England
Contact:

#8

Post by Cippenham »

Thing is though the actual release of the next version of ICM is as elusive as the Scarlet Pimpernel. Or is it like wonderful world of Oz, we need more than one wizard? It's perfectly acceptable though for reasons given, we have lots of patience .
Last edited by Cippenham on May 16th, 2016, 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turning over a new leaf :ICM:
benhere
Posts: 4
Joined: March 8th, 2013, 7:00 am
Contact:

#9

Post by benhere »

Excellent responses here. Thank you Marijn for contributing your insight.

I guess the bottom line is that the resources (hardware and manpower) are tight so the rankings updates will continue to be somewhat erratic. I can live with that. I'll try to keep up with the Official List Updates thread mentioned by Tasselfoot. It would be useful to have some notice sent out on the main site when lists are updated, as used to happen. Especially for major updates.

In the meantime, I was 78, now I'm 80. Usually when lists have big updates, I benefit. Not this time. Not sure what happened. Although I'm quite proud to be in the top 100.

Thanks all,
Ben
User avatar
PeacefulAnarchy
Moderator
Posts: 25938
Joined: May 8th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#10

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

benhere on May 16 2016, 01:47:24 PM wrote:It would be useful to have some notice sent out on the main site when lists are updated, as used to happen. Especially for major updates.
We've been putting them in blog posts, but since those are every 4 months there can be quite a delay. I don't know how people would feel about more frequent blog posts, but I agree this would be nice to have.
User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 33367
Joined: February 16th, 2012, 7:00 am
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#11

Post by joachimt »

benhere on May 16 2016, 01:47:24 PM wrote:It would be useful to have some notice sent out on the main site when lists are updated, as used to happen.
It never used to happen, except for IMDb-lists. The last year we have put news about updates in the blog-post when new lists were adopted. Before that I don't remember ever to receive a message about major updates for lists like TSPDT, DtC, 1001MYMSBYD, etc...
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
User avatar
Ebbywebby
Posts: 3851
Joined: September 10th, 2012, 6:00 am
Location: Orange County, CA
Contact:

#12

Post by Ebbywebby »

benhere on May 16 2016, 08:21:06 AM wrote:I've been on ICM for at least 4 years, my ranking is quite high (80, and I play by the rules) but I've been increasingly puzzled by how and when the rankings are updated.
And it looks to me like the individual official-list rankings haven't been updated since around April 19th.

But I sympathize with Marijn's burden. And hey, it looks like a little bug that always annoyed me was fixed -- how when you go to the "Progress" page, there's the pulldown option to sort your rankings by "closest award," "name" or "rank." And until recently, the "rank" option was always 95% hidden behind another graphics layer such that you could baaaaaaaaaaaaarely click on it. No more! Hooray.
User avatar
PeacefulAnarchy
Moderator
Posts: 25938
Joined: May 8th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#13

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

Ebbywebby on May 16 2016, 07:53:28 PM wrote:
benhere on May 16 2016, 08:21:06 AM wrote:I've been on ICM for at least 4 years, my ranking is quite high (80, and I play by the rules) but I've been increasingly puzzled by how and when the rankings are updated.
And it looks to me like the individual official-list rankings haven't been updated since around April 19th.
What? They've been updated in the last two days for sure.
Cippenham
Donator
Posts: 13430
Joined: May 9th, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: Dorset England
Contact:

#14

Post by Cippenham »

benhere on May 16 2016, 01:47:24 PM wrote:Excellent responses here. Thank you Marijn for contributing your insight.

I guess the bottom line is that the resources (hardware and manpower) are tight so the rankings updates will continue to be somewhat erratic. I can live with that. I'll try to keep up with the Official List Updates thread mentioned by Tasselfoot. It would be useful to have some notice sent out on the main site when lists are updated, as used to happen. Especially for major updates.

In the meantime, I was 78, now I'm 80. Usually when lists have big updates, I benefit. Not this time. Not sure what happened. Although I'm quite proud to be in the top 100.

Thanks all,
Ben
I thought at first you were an elderly ICM member but I think you refer to your ranking.. :lol:
Turning over a new leaf :ICM:
User avatar
Ebbywebby
Posts: 3851
Joined: September 10th, 2012, 6:00 am
Location: Orange County, CA
Contact:

#15

Post by Ebbywebby »

PeacefulAnarchy on May 16 2016, 09:12:37 PM wrote:
Ebbywebby on May 16 2016, 07:53:28 PM wrote:
benhere on May 16 2016, 08:21:06 AM wrote:I've been on ICM for at least 4 years, my ranking is quite high (80, and I play by the rules) but I've been increasingly puzzled by how and when the rankings are updated.
And it looks to me like the individual official-list rankings haven't been updated since around April 19th.
What? They've been updated in the last two days for sure.
Never mind...I thought I had accumulated some new Criterion Collection checks over a period of time, but didn't notice that I had gained "retroactive" checks due to new films being added to the list. Sent me down a garden path. Sorry.
User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 8916
Joined: June 17th, 2015, 6:00 am
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#16

Post by xianjiro »

PeacefulAnarchy on May 16 2016, 09:12:37 PM wrote:
Ebbywebby on May 16 2016, 07:53:28 PM wrote:
benhere on May 16 2016, 08:21:06 AM wrote:I've been on ICM for at least 4 years, my ranking is quite high (80, and I play by the rules) but I've been increasingly puzzled by how and when the rankings are updated.
And it looks to me like the individual official-list rankings haven't been updated since around April 19th.
What? They've been updated in the last two days for sure.
Yup, I can attest to that. Since my main goal of 2016 was to be in the top 500 on every list, I monitor my rank quite closely now. I watched two Turkish movies over the weekend and the update happened between the two. If I remember, I'll post when it has updated again (and I join the top 500 there as well).
User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 8916
Joined: June 17th, 2015, 6:00 am
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#17

Post by xianjiro »

Another thing, it appears to me that the overall ranking updates occur in alphabetical order, so I'm usually one of the last to see my count increase. Some times that happens a couple times in a week - I am quite confident the rankings aren't changing anything like daily I saw mentioned elsewhere. But that's okay with me, I'd be fine with weekly or even less frequent updates if it made the overall system easier to manage (and understand).

If it's gone missed, DtC went from 1250 to 1200 titles, so most of us probably lost some checks there, of course, above and beyond those titles replaced.

I know it was much more maddening being in 100-200 range than in the top 100. Back then, I was watching and checking much like now (though I was also watching a lot more shorts back then) and BOOM! I'd fall 20 or so slots. It took time to peg it to the adoption of new official lists or updated lists. I got especially grumpy after one set of new adoptions because it entirely erased all the gains (in overall rank) I had worked on for a few months. I was even reluctant to post my latest rank pic since I was certain that when the DtC and TSZDT updates worked their way through the system I'd fall, but that just hasn't been happening much lately (though it is still my expectation when we get a new group of official lists).

Maybe it's just that some parts of the overall ranking is much more competitive? My first goal was to make it to the top 100 and I didn't think I'd ever get there. I also feel like there are times when it's much harder to pull ahead of someone, but honestly, it's probably all in my head. I've no idea how far I'll climb before I peak. I would like to be in the "Oscar Winner" crowd, but that seems an unlikely goal even at my rate (2+ official checks per day). But I've just tried to enjoy riding the wave so to speak. If I drop in the next round of official adoptions, so be it. Just more films to track down, right? (Oh please don't let it be something like TSZDT II - doubling the horror-bill canon!)

But, all that said, it would be nice to be able to see changes to lists - in addition to "New" tab, maybe a "Lost" or "Removed" tab, but even there, we have to watch those updates more closely. Don't IMDb lists update weekly or something? It's almost impossible to keep up with the changes to the Top 250 (I get this is one of the paid features, but one still has to compare the lists to figure out the changes and this is more of a challenge with longer lists).

I do miss the emails that used to tell me titles added to lists (and those removed). Especially on lists where I've seen 95% or more of the titles, it was an easy way to say "put these titles on hold for the next library run". But I still catch that when I update my official lists spreadsheet - I just have to be more active there.

Overall, I'm really happy with iCM but I say that now that I feel I understand how it works (or maybe doesn't from time to time or situation to situation). So I really get @benhere's bewilderment and am glad for this topic.
MMDan
Posts: 211
Joined: January 10th, 2016, 7:00 am
Contact:

#18

Post by MMDan »

Maybe the Elders of ICM can inform me about the Ain't Nobodies Blues but Mine list. What the heck is it?
User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 10628
Joined: December 29th, 2012, 7:00 am
Contact:

#19

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

MMDan on May 17 2016, 10:06:45 AM wrote:Maybe the Elders of ICM can inform me about the Ain't Nobodies Blues but Mine list. What the heck is it?
Movies that were voted only for once for by voter for the TSPDT list. More info
User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 33367
Joined: February 16th, 2012, 7:00 am
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#20

Post by joachimt »

Lonewolf2003 on May 17 2016, 10:56:14 AM wrote:
MMDan on May 17 2016, 10:06:45 AM wrote:Maybe the Elders of ICM can inform me about the Ain't Nobodies Blues but Mine list. What the heck is it?
Movies that were voted only for once for by voter for the TSPDT list. More info
Unfortunately TSPDT did it years ago, but not since, so the list hasn't been updated since the last time.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
User avatar
Melvelet
Posts: 2394
Joined: March 29th, 2013, 6:00 am
Location: Berlin, Germany
Contact:

#21

Post by Melvelet »

joachimt on May 17 2016, 11:04:21 AM wrote:
Lonewolf2003 on May 17 2016, 10:56:14 AM wrote:
MMDan on May 17 2016, 10:06:45 AM wrote:Maybe the Elders of ICM can inform me about the Ain't Nobodies Blues but Mine list. What the heck is it?
Movies that were voted only for once for by voter for the TSPDT list. More info
Unfortunately TSPDT did it years ago, but not since, so the list hasn't been updated since the last time.
An updated list would reach incredible depths of obscurity :lol:
Current recommendation: Monday (2000)


ImageImage


Current focus: Directors: Rossellini, Sabu

Last.fm | RYM
User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 33367
Joined: February 16th, 2012, 7:00 am
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#22

Post by joachimt »

Melvelet on May 17 2016, 11:56:08 AM wrote:
joachimt on May 17 2016, 11:04:21 AM wrote:
Lonewolf2003 on May 17 2016, 10:56:14 AM wrote:Movies that were voted only for once for by voter for the TSPDT list. More info
Unfortunately TSPDT did it years ago, but not since, so the list hasn't been updated since the last time.
An updated list would reach incredible depths of obscurity :lol:
Sure, but the weird thing is some movies are now on Ain't and on TSPDT. That should be impossible.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
Cippenham
Donator
Posts: 13430
Joined: May 9th, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: Dorset England
Contact:

#23

Post by Cippenham »

joachimt on May 17 2016, 12:04:35 PM wrote:
Melvelet on May 17 2016, 11:56:08 AM wrote:
joachimt on May 17 2016, 11:04:21 AM wrote:Unfortunately TSPDT did it years ago, but not since, so the list hasn't been updated since the last time.
An updated list would reach incredible depths of obscurity :lol:
Sure, but the weird thing is some movies are now on Ain't and on TSPDT. That should be impossible.
Are they where what was unknown becomes a known a known known as opposed to an unknown known or an unknown unknown as per that great poet, Donald Rumsfeld.


https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_are_known_knowns
Last edited by Cippenham on May 17th, 2016, 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turning over a new leaf :ICM:
User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 8916
Joined: June 17th, 2015, 6:00 am
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#24

Post by xianjiro »

joachimt on May 17 2016, 12:04:35 PM wrote:
Melvelet on May 17 2016, 11:56:08 AM wrote:
joachimt on May 17 2016, 11:04:21 AM wrote:Unfortunately TSPDT did it years ago, but not since, so the list hasn't been updated since the last time.
An updated list would reach incredible depths of obscurity :lol:
Sure, but the weird thing is some movies are now on Ain't and on TSPDT. That should be impossible.
Well, not really since TSPDT has been updated, it's entirely feasible that films that didn't make a prior TSPDT could now be on it. Don't know how much 'lobbying' for films goes on behind the scenes of TSPDT, but inclusion on the Nobody's Blues could easily increase a film's visibility enough to get the attention.
User avatar
3eyes
Donator
Posts: 7166
Joined: May 17th, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

#25

Post by 3eyes »

Cippenham on May 16 2016, 11:09:04 PM wrote:
benhere on May 16 2016, 01:47:24 PM wrote:Excellent responses here. Thank you Marijn for contributing your insight.

I guess the bottom line is that the resources (hardware and manpower) are tight so the rankings updates will continue to be somewhat erratic. I can live with that. I'll try to keep up with the Official List Updates thread mentioned by Tasselfoot. It would be useful to have some notice sent out on the main site when lists are updated, as used to happen. Especially for major updates.

In the meantime, I was 78, now I'm 80. Usually when lists have big updates, I benefit. Not this time. Not sure what happened. Although I'm quite proud to be in the top 100.

Thanks all,
Ben
I thought at first you were an elderly ICM member but I think you refer to your ranking.. :lol:
Me too. If only.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!
User avatar
PeacefulAnarchy
Moderator
Posts: 25938
Joined: May 8th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#26

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

xianjiro on May 17 2016, 01:24:59 PM wrote:Well, not really since TSPDT has been updated, it's entirely feasible that films that didn't make a prior TSPDT could now be on it. Don't know how much 'lobbying' for films goes on behind the scenes of TSPDT, but inclusion on the Nobody's Blues could easily increase a film's visibility enough to get the attention.
TSPDT is solely from public critics list and cummulative, so very few of the voters are even aware of TSPDT's existence, much less be influenced by it. Also Nobody's Blues wasn't just films that didn't make the list, but films that only one critic listed on their top list. So going from a single critic to enough critics to make the main list is a long trek. A film being on both is an indication of how outdated the Ain't Nobody's Blues list is.
User avatar
Gershwin
Donator
Posts: 7149
Joined: May 17th, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: Leiden, NL
Contact:

#27

Post by Gershwin »

joachimt on May 17 2016, 12:04:35 PM wrote:
Melvelet on May 17 2016, 11:56:08 AM wrote:
joachimt on May 17 2016, 11:04:21 AM wrote:Unfortunately TSPDT did it years ago, but not since, so the list hasn't been updated since the last time.
An updated list would reach incredible depths of obscurity :lol:
Sure, but the weird thing is some movies are now on Ain't and on TSPDT. That should be impossible.
Which movies are we actually talking about? Couldn't find any, when having a quick look.
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM
User avatar
PeacefulAnarchy
Moderator
Posts: 25938
Joined: May 8th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#28

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

Gershwin on May 17 2016, 02:04:27 PM wrote:
joachimt on May 17 2016, 12:04:35 PM wrote:
Melvelet on May 17 2016, 11:56:08 AM wrote:An updated list would reach incredible depths of obscurity :lol:
Sure, but the weird thing is some movies are now on Ain't and on TSPDT. That should be impossible.
Which movies are we actually talking about? Couldn't find any, when having a quick look.
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/lenfant+secret/
MMDan
Posts: 211
Joined: January 10th, 2016, 7:00 am
Contact:

#29

Post by MMDan »

PeacefulAnarchy on May 17 2016, 02:50:07 PM wrote:
Gershwin on May 17 2016, 02:04:27 PM wrote:
joachimt on May 17 2016, 12:04:35 PM wrote:Sure, but the weird thing is some movies are now on Ain't and on TSPDT. That should be impossible.
Which movies are we actually talking about? Couldn't find any, when having a quick look.
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/lenfant+secret/
sacre bleu!
User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 31319
Joined: May 5th, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#30

Post by mightysparks »

xianjiro on May 17 2016, 02:58:02 AM wrote:If I drop in the next round of official adoptions, so be it. Just more films to track down, right? (Oh please don't let it be something like TSZDT II - doubling the horror-bill canon!)
If you people just want a site full of films that interest you, make your own site. Seriously, these complaints are really goddamn annoying. I work fecking hard on that list and site and these petty complaints are just pointless and make it seem like some hastily put together rubbish. I don't care if you don't like horror films because they haven't been approved by some snobby, ignorant film critics with their heads up their arses. iCM is not about 'lists that [insert user] likes and has films they are interested in'. You don't have to pay attention to lists you're not interested in and you don't have to work on them. That goes for the whinging in the other thread as well. The world (and iCM) don't revolve around you. I'm not interested in most of the lists on iCM but I don't spend all my free time crying about it because I focus on the ones I want to and watch the films I want. The site needs more horror lists (that's the reason I made the list in the first place since horror is underrated and ignored), but because everyone is terrified of anything that more than 5 people have seen, iCM is going to just end up with more of 'The 50 Best Films from a Village in Kyrgyzstan' instead.

PS I've had like 12 hours sleep over the last 3 days and worked over 40 hours so am more irritable than usual kthxbai
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image
Cippenham
Donator
Posts: 13430
Joined: May 9th, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: Dorset England
Contact:

#31

Post by Cippenham »

Horror is no longer underrated or ignored it seems to me, but I only like some horror, but have seen a reasonable amount, but yes if others genres want similar lists they should do the work. I think Film noir has good representation, but yes for me there are plenty of other lists To work on so don't worry if there are horror or other genres lists I am not much interested in.
Turning over a new leaf :ICM:
User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 8916
Joined: June 17th, 2015, 6:00 am
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#32

Post by xianjiro »

mightysparks on May 17 2016, 04:04:17 PM wrote:
xianjiro on May 17 2016, 02:58:02 AM wrote:If I drop in the next round of official adoptions, so be it. Just more films to track down, right? (Oh please don't let it be something like TSZDT II - doubling the horror-bill canon!)
If you people just want a site full of films that interest you, make your own site. Seriously, these complaints are really goddamn annoying. I work fecking hard on that list and site and these petty complaints are just pointless and make it seem like some hastily put together rubbish. I don't care if you don't like horror films because they haven't been approved by some snobby, ignorant film critics with their heads up their arses. iCM is not about 'lists that [insert user] likes and has films they are interested in'. You don't have to pay attention to lists you're not interested in and you don't have to work on them. That goes for the whinging in the other thread as well. The world (and iCM) don't revolve around you. I'm not interested in most of the lists on iCM but I don't spend all my free time crying about it because I focus on the ones I want to and watch the films I want. The site needs more horror lists (that's the reason I made the list in the first place since horror is underrated and ignored), but because everyone is terrified of anything that more than 5 people have seen, iCM is going to just end up with more of 'The 50 Best Films from a Village in Kyrgyzstan' instead.

PS I've had like 12 hours sleep over the last 3 days and worked over 40 hours so am more irritable than usual kthxbai
Slight over reaction I'd say. While my main complaint with TSZDT is its length (and the fact that 7% of official checks are horror), my point here is I've still got so much to do on TSZDT that adding another 1000 titles (which I didn't believe was even such a remote possibility that the irony should be palpable) would surely hurt my ranking because there's no way I'd have seen much if anything from a horror list that included films ranked 1001-2000!

Secondly, to accuse me of being a whinging film snob - how much whinging have I actually done and why don't I have I right to speak my mind about a given list just like everyone else on the site? I've also pointed to what I believe a glaring omission of an LGBT list, made my case, read what others have said, and moved on with little expectation that anything will change. Maybe you should expect a bit of displeasure from those of us who haven't received official recognition of what we feel is important, especially considering your 1000 official checks.

Thirdly, I believe my checks are self-evident. I am not ignoring any list and have put great emphasis on viewing things that are, shall we say, out of my comfort zone - and in an effort to hit 50% on TSZDT, that means watching a lot of horror films (though I will admit I'm running across a number that only seem to me to be marginally horror, so it's not entirely a gorefest, thank the goddess of small mercies).

I'm truly sorry that your feel your hard work has gone unappreciated. Maybe it's about perspective. Gee, you've got a pet project adopted as official and you sit #1 on the list with 100% of the films seen but also a list that I'd say is highly competitive. On most lists, I see a movie and can move upwards - sometimes by leaps and bounds because so many people are tied at a given number of films seen. But on TSZDT I'm lucky if I don't fall in rank for only watching one or two films from the list in a given week. Look at the numbers of films people in the top 500 have seen and you've got all the confirmation of the list's success you should need! Your list has been favourited 203 times and added to 191 watchlists. I'd say your fans have spoken and that should provide more than enough solace to deflect non-personal criticism.

Lastly, I believe I've made my concerns on the issues related to country lists, as well as a possible lack of 'popular' lists, evident elsewhere and we're likely to be much closer in agreement than you've given credit for in your post.

Are you sure the list you were looking for is 'The 50 Best Yak Herding Films from a Village in Kyrgyzstan'? B)
User avatar
monty
Posts: 12791
Joined: May 9th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#33

Post by monty »

mightysparks on May 17 2016, 04:04:17 PM wrote:The site needs more horror lists...
Really? I would have thought that your list with 1,000 official checks + the IMDb one far exceeded the needs of the site, which after-all isn't dedicated to that genre alone. Dropping the TSZDT in favor of several smaller (and reputable) horror lists would be another matter entirely...
Last edited by monty on May 18th, 2016, 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
De Limgralois
Posts: 0
Joined: April 29th, 2016, 6:00 am
Contact:

#34

Post by De Limgralois »

A list should have a legit source, that's all. No one disrespects your work, it's just that it's not a legit source and it smells cooptation. If your site was already well known and get a good authority in the blogosphere, why not, there's other questionable lists with a site as a source.

More, there were no need to a list with that amount of films. If it's not legit, it's also for good reason, there's no editorial work. A critic, a historian of cinema, or just a book, there's always people making choices. Sometimes questionable, but at least, it's part of the same legit system. Proposing an editorial work, it's making choice, it's giving relief and perspective to a subject. What is this list? The most important horror films in history according to you? Your fav horror films? No. This is "We want MOAR!!!" That's pornor.

French magazine Mad Movies had published several special issues which could have been greater lists making a lot of horror films official: slashers, Grindhouse, gore, apocalypse zombie, golden age of Italian genre cinema. Two of these selections has been shared on the web, I asked if someone interested in horror films was interested to make the lists, no answer. And still, I guess there's plenty of existent legit horror lists on iCM.
User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 8916
Joined: June 17th, 2015, 6:00 am
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#35

Post by xianjiro »

I disagree about the TSZDT sources not being legit. Please see the list of sources. It uses the same methodology - as best as I understand from the websites - as TSPDT. If a source is missing, I'm hopeful that @mightysparks would be appreciative of a link to such a source - and if the source meets whatever criteria has been established for inclusion in TSZDT, I'm hopeful such a source would be included in the next update.

However, that said, let's not hijack @benhere's topic with too much discussion of TSZDT's perceived strengths or weaknesses, there are clearly other topics in the forum where that is being done.

As a return to the original topic, I was surprised that I dropped a rank today and can't readily explain why - either someone has done really well with a recent update (though I thought those had already worked their way through the system) or someone's just checked a lot of films. It just seems to be a fact of life on iCM. sigh
Last edited by xianjiro on May 18th, 2016, 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
PeacefulAnarchy
Moderator
Posts: 25938
Joined: May 8th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#36

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

xianjiro on May 18 2016, 04:26:07 AM wrote:As a return to the original topic, I was surprised that I dropped a rank today and can't readily explain why - either someone has done really well with a recent update (though I thought those had already worked their way through the system) or someone's just checked a lot of films. It just seems to be a fact of life on iCM. sigh
A user who had previously made their checks private made them public again.
User avatar
cinephage
Donator
Posts: 4279
Joined: November 11th, 2011, 7:00 am
Contact:

#37

Post by cinephage »

PeacefulAnarchy on May 18 2016, 04:28:43 AM wrote:
xianjiro on May 18 2016, 04:26:07 AM wrote:As a return to the original topic, I was surprised that I dropped a rank today and can't readily explain why - either someone has done really well with a recent update (though I thought those had already worked their way through the system) or someone's just checked a lot of films. It just seems to be a fact of life on iCM. sigh
A user who had previously made their checks private made them public again.
These dark internet users are quite threatening to small, legit, ICMers such as I or benhere... Each time they surface for fresh air, the ripples they generate shake us up in the most frightening fashion... :'(
User avatar
monty
Posts: 12791
Joined: May 9th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#38

Post by monty »

Notwithstanding the sources of TSZDT being legit, the list is still way too big for one genre (just like the official "More noir" list is). Any official list dedicated to a single genre should have no more than a couple of hundred items at the most - any more and it should not be eligible for official status. Though I dearly love the samurai genre, I'd never advocate lists like Alain Silver's Samurai Encyclopedia for official status - its 525 items make for a list that's just too big, too inclusive and hence has too many subpar efforts. No, any official list should stress quality, not quantity. These humongous lists gaining official status just dilute the iCM experience IMO.
Last edited by monty on May 18th, 2016, 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
cinephage
Donator
Posts: 4279
Joined: November 11th, 2011, 7:00 am
Contact:

#39

Post by cinephage »

Thar she blows !! Thar she blows !!
User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 8916
Joined: June 17th, 2015, 6:00 am
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#40

Post by xianjiro »

cinephage on May 18 2016, 04:54:36 AM wrote:
PeacefulAnarchy on May 18 2016, 04:28:43 AM wrote:
xianjiro on May 18 2016, 04:26:07 AM wrote:As a return to the original topic, I was surprised that I dropped a rank today and can't readily explain why - either someone has done really well with a recent update (though I thought those had already worked their way through the system) or someone's just checked a lot of films. It just seems to be a fact of life on iCM. sigh
A user who had previously made their checks private made them public again.
These dark internet users are quite threatening to small, legit, ICMers such as I or benhere... Each time they surface for fresh air, the ripples they generate shake us up in the most frightening fashion... :'(
I saw an explanation on another topic as well - thanks!

But I do agree, it is confusing and daunting initially, I just don't know that much else can be done other than get people involved over here.
Post Reply