Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Animation (Results), 2016 awards (Aug 25th), 1987 (Aug 25th), Benelux (Aug 30th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Romance, UK/Ireland, <400 Checks
Film of the Week: The Great White Silence, September nominations (Aug 30th)

TSPDT updates

Kasparius.

TSPDT updates

Post by Kasparius. » May 7th, 2011, 6:26 pm

I love that list. I finished it last year. Probably the list I was most proud to accomplish.
I have 8 new titles to re-finish it this year. I'm downloading them right now. Besides this list what is the number one "big" list (1000 or so titles) that you want to finish?

ormazd

Post by ormazd » May 8th, 2011, 2:41 am

TSPDT is my favorite list, too. I haven't really concentrated on a certain list, because much of my viewing is dictated by what's on TCM and other cable channels.

However, I recently discovered KG and have started focusing more on this list. I've now seen all of the top 300, but still have 281 to go.

Kasparius.

Post by Kasparius. » May 8th, 2011, 6:43 pm

Way to go. It's a very rewarding list, there are very few boring titles.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 8th, 2011, 6:54 pm

This is my current 'long-term' goal (I want to have it finished by the time I'm 25). I'm struggling to get through it because most of the movies are not my type at all and it's just painful [I'm having an easier time with the IMDb Bottom 100 :( ].
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Kongeslask

Post by Kongeslask » May 9th, 2011, 12:43 pm

The TSPDT list is probably the best list for those who want to educate themselves about the art of cinema - it is a good way to get acquainted with the most highly regarded films of world cinema, even if there is a considerable numerical overweight of US and European productions. Which is why I set out to complete it back in 2007 or so when I first discovered it - at the time I had only seen a couple of hundred of the films on the list, now I only have sixty or so left.

Other than that, owing to my interest in Soviet and Russian cinema (and Eastern European cinema in general), I would like to see as much as possible of Mestnyi Geroi's 1000+ quintessential Russian movies.

Kasparius.

Post by Kasparius. » May 9th, 2011, 5:51 pm

1000 Russian films!! Wow!!

ormazd

Post by ormazd » May 9th, 2011, 6:02 pm

Where does 'Watch Out For The Automobile' rank on that list?
:D

Kongeslask

Post by Kongeslask » May 9th, 2011, 7:02 pm

The list isn't actually ranked, just ordered chronologically:
http://www.listsofbests.com/list/49898- ... ian-movies

By the way, I have noticed people complaining about the Soviet comedies and whatnot on the site. I'd argue that they aren't that bad considered as films, just highly culturally specific and therefore inaccessible to most who didn't experience Soviet society first hand - still don't deserve the high positions on the lists though.

ormazd

Post by ormazd » May 9th, 2011, 7:03 pm

That was a bit of an inside joke if you read Kasparius' ICM comments for that film.

:P

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » May 9th, 2011, 9:39 pm

I really like Russian comedies. Some: Kidnapping Caucasian Style, Kin-Dza-Dza, Gentlemen of Fortune and The Diamond Arm actually rank with my favorites of the genre.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » May 9th, 2011, 9:44 pm

There are a few members who would list them as their least favorite of any genre though : (

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » May 9th, 2011, 10:25 pm

This was the only list I followed before ICM and am at the momentjust two short, Brakhage Art of Vision which I would need to visit the USA to see probably, as I am in the uK and Out One Spectre which is the 4 hour version, not the long 12 hour or so version of the full Out One. I have not located the short verion yet. Anyway I have been trying to complete some of the shorter IMDB and other lists lately but generally prefer films from 1920 to 1970 and some art or modern British and French films to most modern Hollywood producitons! So I like some of the Critics lists including these.
Turning over a new leaf :ICM:

Kasparius.

Post by Kasparius. » May 12th, 2011, 4:28 am

Cippenham on May 9 2011&#44; 09:25 PM wrote: This was the only list I followed before ICM and am at the momentjust two short, Brakhage Art of Vision which I would need to visit the USA to see probably, as I am in the uK and Out One Spectre which is the 4 hour version, not the long 12 hour or so version of the full Out One. I have not located the short verion yet. Anyway I have been trying to complete some of the shorter IMDB and other lists lately but generally prefer films from 1920 to 1970 and some art or modern British and French films to most modern Hollywood producitons! So I like some of the Critics lists including these.
You can find Out 1 spectre on Karagarga (Not the greatest copy but still watchable) I can invite you if you send me your email address. I think you would really enjoy seriously exploring the Rosenbaum list especially given that you have seen half already.

ormazd

Post by ormazd » May 21st, 2011, 6:56 pm

Still an awful long way to go, but I just got the silver for this list.
B)

Kasparius.

Post by Kasparius. » May 21st, 2011, 11:02 pm

Nice Job, Ormazd :)

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » May 21st, 2011, 11:18 pm

I've seen 422 movies from the TSPDT list. I don't have a strong desire to finish the list because it focuses too much on American cinema, but I'll continue to slowly work my way through the list. I'm not working on any other long lists. Right now I'm mainly interested in the Most Favorite list and the Kinema Junpo list (I might not be able to finish them, but I want to eventually be #1 on both lists).

Kasparius.

Post by Kasparius. » May 21st, 2011, 11:23 pm

What's wrong with American Cinema (Old American Cinema) Pray tell?

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » May 21st, 2011, 11:33 pm

There's nothing wrong with American cinema. I just don't want it to be such a large percentage of what I watch.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » May 21st, 2011, 11:38 pm

North American film doesn't even make up half the list. The TSPDT is certainly skewed towards European and US critical tastes, but I don't find it to be particularly US centric as film lists go.
Last edited by PeacefulAnarchy on May 21st, 2011, 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ormazd

Post by ormazd » May 22nd, 2011, 1:21 am

Except for the country specific lists (One hundred film and one country Italy, Kinema Jumpo Top 100 Japanese Movies, etc.), the TSPDT list seems to have the broadest international spectrum.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » May 22nd, 2011, 2:22 am

ormazd on May 21 2011, 07:21:59 PM wrote:Except for the country specific lists (One hundred film and one country Italy, Kinema Jumpo Top 100 Japanese Movies, etc.), the TSPDT list seems to have the broadest international spectrum.
I most certainly agree with this. Maybe Rosenbaum's top 1000 has more non-American films. Not sure.

Kasparius.

Post by Kasparius. » May 22nd, 2011, 4:49 pm

Yeah, Rosenbaum is probably the most diverse, with a lot of Iranian, French, Russian, Japanese and Chinese films.

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi » May 30th, 2011, 1:39 am

My first post on this forum!

Thanks for the plug of my Russian list, Kongeslask! I am glad that I've set a task before you.

As I recently posted on the iCM site, the TSPDT is for me the gold standard of one's cinematic breadth. That said, I don't personally target that or any other list in my viewing. I just watch whichever films sound interesting to me, and then I usually look them up on this site after viewing. Two-thirds of the time or more, I'll find that the film I've just watched isn't on any list. For instance, I just finished watching Browning's _Outside the Law_, and then came on iCM to see that this movie doesn't help me at all there.

But if I am close to pursuing any particular lists in a half-targeted way, it would be TSPDT, SilentEra, TSPDT's Noir250, BFI, and my Russian 1000 list that Kongeslask mentioned.

Kasparius.

Post by Kasparius. » May 30th, 2011, 1:45 am

Glad to have you here. By the way are you a fan of the great film Local Hero by Bill Forsyth?

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi » May 30th, 2011, 2:05 am

Kasparius on May 29 2011, 07:45:11 PM wrote:Glad to have you here. By the way are you a fan of the great film Local Hero by Bill Forsyth?
Thanks, and thanks for creating this forum. I'll probably be checking in frequently this summer (when I usually have more free time).

Yes, dorkily enough, I chose my user name on imdb (Local Hero) because of my favorite film. That was back in ... about 2001. Then, when I went on ListsofBests about two years ago, I tried to register as Local Hero but some %$#@#$% had taken the name, so I just translated Local Hero into Russian on a goof (MestnyiGeroi). Finally, when I went on iCM, I created my current cumbersome handle to carry over both my regular names. ... Yes, it's a fascinating journey I've taken.

So, yes, that quirky little Scottish film really speaks to me. Other absolute favorites are Dersu Uzala and Night of the Hunter. All three just connect with me in a personal way.

Kasparius.

Post by Kasparius. » May 30th, 2011, 2:13 am

Love those 3 films.

Kongeslask

Post by Kongeslask » May 30th, 2011, 2:34 pm

Thanks for the plug of my Russian list, Kongeslask! I am glad that I've set a task before you.
Dobroe utro, mestnyj geroj!
Dobroe utro tebe i takim, kak ty,
Zdravstvyj, mestnyj geroj!
But if I am close to pursuing any particular lists in a half-targeted way[...]and my Russian 1000 list..
So you haven't actually seen all those yourself... perhaps a bit early to compose such a massive list in that case.

On a different note, there are those who complain about how the TSPDT list largely overlooks films by female directors, non-euroamericajapanese cinema and documentaries. This is probably inevitable given the source material (mostly European and North American critics), but considering that they have a starting list of 9600+ titles, it should be possible to make several companion lists to complement the main one. These could cover regional cinema or individual countries, particular genres, documentaries, animation and such, works by female directors or what have you. Don't know if there are any such plans on part of the TSPDT crew.
Last edited by Kongeslask on May 30th, 2011, 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi » May 30th, 2011, 3:35 pm

Dobroe utro tebe i takim, kak ty,
Zdravstvyj, mestnyj geroj!
I think that may just be the best greeting I have ever gotten on any internet forum. Love the use of Kino there.
So you haven't actually seen all those yourself... perhaps a bit early to compose such a massive list in that case.
No, it was created first and foremost as a to-see list for myself, more than anything. I can't say whether it's "a bit early" or not, but I wanted to piece together a comprehensive list of the Russian cinematic canon, as one did not exist on the net, as far I knew. Besides, it is not a list of "the best," as then I would have to have seen them all to presume to list them. No, it's a list of "quintessential Russian films," the films that comprise the body of Russian cinema, and as far as that goes, I feel I do have the requisite awareness to make such a list.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » May 30th, 2011, 8:15 pm

Kongeslask on May 30 2011, 08:34:37 AM wrote:films by female directors
Senses of Cinema has a list of films by female directors, if you're interested:

http://archive.sensesofcinema.com/conte ... allynovdec

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » June 1st, 2011, 10:00 pm

This was the first list I followed and a good starting point is to check out Kevin Lee's website Shooting Down Pictures where he chronicles in detail his quest to complete this list. Also many of his reviews were put on Youtube of these films
See:
http://alsolikelife.com/shooting/

Book of Sand

Post by Book of Sand » June 10th, 2011, 7:57 pm

I started working on the TSPDT list about five years ago, before ICM. I've gotten to 922. I doubt it's a list I'll ever be able to complete, although I'd like to get as close as possible. I'll be running into a wall of unavailability in about 15 or so movies, I think.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » June 10th, 2011, 8:29 pm

Book of Sand on Jun 10 2011, 01:57:08 PM wrote:I started working on the TSPDT list about five years ago, before ICM. I've gotten to 922. I doubt it's a list I'll ever be able to complete, although I'd like to get as close as possible. I'll be running into a wall of unavailability in about 15 or so movies, I think.
It makes you wonder how those movies got on the list in the first place...
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

Kongeslask

Post by Kongeslask » June 10th, 2011, 11:15 pm

For what it's worth, I had a similar problem with being unable to find a number of films in the usual places. I was able to find most of the ones I missed at KG, and right now only The Art of Vision eludes me. Maybe it will drop off the next version of the list.

monty

Post by monty » June 11th, 2011, 1:18 am

Kongeslask on Jun 10 2011, 05:15:37 PM wrote:For what it's worth, I had a similar problem with being unable to find a number of films in the usual places. I was able to find most of the ones I missed at KG, and right now only The Art of Vision eludes me. Maybe it will drop off the next version of the list.
Just two to go - nice going, slask. I take it you'll do the Bollywood list next. :D

Kongeslask

Post by Kongeslask » June 11th, 2011, 2:02 am

monty on Jun 10 2011, 07:18:42 PM wrote:
Kongeslask on Jun 10 2011, 05:15:37 PM wrote:For what it's worth, I had a similar problem with being unable to find a number of films in the usual places. I was able to find most of the ones I missed at KG, and right now only The Art of Vision eludes me. Maybe it will drop off the next version of the list.
Just two to go - nice going, slask. I take it you'll do the Bollywood list next. :D
I might do just that, simply to find out how bad it can possibly get.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » June 20th, 2011, 7:45 pm

Just wanted to pay tribute to Kevin Lee,. his website Shooting Down Pictures is a great inspiration to complete this list and includes much else besides. Neat finish with The Long Day Closes.

http://alsolikelife.com/shooting/

Kasparius.

Post by Kasparius. » June 20th, 2011, 7:58 pm

I finished the list last year. And only have 7 to go to reclaim it. I will do so, soon. The Art of Vision will probably fall off the list but I think maybe more so in a couple of updates, It's not falling out very rapidly.

It's actually quite a fascinating film, although much too long in my opinion.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » June 20th, 2011, 9:40 pm

Kasparius on Jun 20 2011, 01:58:02 PM wrote:It's actually quite a fascinating film, although much too long in my opinion.
Given that my brain goes into "sensory overload emergency shutdown" mode almost every time I watch one of his short films, I can only speculate about the condition I'll be found in after 4 hours...
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » June 20th, 2011, 9:43 pm

Go on make that trip to New York if you dont live there, would love to hear what happens.. :D

Kasparius.

Post by Kasparius. » June 20th, 2011, 9:48 pm

I love some of his films, and find other ones utterly boring. I particularly like his hand painted films.