Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 8 released June 27th)
Polls: 2010s (Results), 1974 (Results), 2019 awards (Jul 11th)
Challenges: Canada, Low Rated, Director
Film of the Week: Vinyan, August nominations (Jul 31st)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2E: Georgia vs Ukraine (Jul 16th)

How to deal with All-Time Worldwide Box office

joachimt
Donator

Re: How to deal with All-Time Worldwide Box office

Post by joachimt » February 15th, 2020, 7:43 am

I still want to create decade lists as well. Movies will keep dropping off, especially from the WW-list. So it would be a good idea to give a permanent list for the best X movies per decade.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

dirty_score

Post by dirty_score » February 15th, 2020, 12:43 pm

Even though I understand the decision based on the source, I can't say i'm happy with this expansion even if it gets me new checks.

I think the mods should have followed a set of rules to cap both lists, like when they do on lists where movies with just 1 or 2 votes don't deserve to enter.

For instance, now the rule of 200k goes out the window and any movie thats makes less money can enter the list. I used to follow the ATWWBO list with some interest but now it just feels exhausting.

It's obviously Box Office Mojo fault for not putting some brakes and everyone should see whatever they want to see, regardless of official check or not but I don't know.. we're reaching a point of making every movie official..

Just my 2 cents. :think:

PS: I'm getting more inclined to thoses decade lists now.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » February 15th, 2020, 1:07 pm

dirty_score wrote:
February 15th, 2020, 12:43 pm
Even though I understand the decision based on the source, I can't say i'm happy with this expansion even if it gets me new checks.

I think the mods should have followed a set of rules to cap both lists, like when they do on lists where movies with just 1 or 2 votes don't deserve to enter.

For instance, now the rule of 200k goes out the window and any movie thats makes less money can enter the list. I used to follow the ATWWBO list with some interest but now it just feels exhausting.

It's obviously Box Office Mojo fault for not putting some brakes and everyone should see whatever they want to see, regardless of official check or not but I don't know.. we're reaching a point of making every movie official..

Just my 2 cents. :think:

PS: I'm getting more inclined to thoses decade lists now.
I don't really have a problem at all with the WW list expansion - that list was already at over 800 titles, and given the rate at which new films make it to $200 million it would have hit 1000 titles in probably 3 years - and would then keep on growing. So this feels like a sensible compromise to me.

As to the inflation-adjusted list the real problems from my perspective are 1) that's it almost totally American - but it already was before so that's a moot point, and 2) that the data for earlier decades just isn't that good, so there are precious few films previous to the mid-80s on the list. Only 48/1000 films pre-date 1990 which seems grossly inaccurate, though to be fair the wider opening strategies in recent decades and the focus by studios on smaller numbers of bigger films probably do indicate a greater number of box office hits in recent decades even if we had perfect data. But not 95%!

EDIT - I was actually looking at the wrong list when writing my second paragraph, d'oh! So it's not as extreme in it's focus on recent decades as I wrote - but it's still clearly severely lacking in data prior to the 60s and I'd say probably a bit lacking prior to the 80s - I don't think a lot of regular reporting of box office started to happen until the latter decade, and while there are probably records around, they haven't been incorporated in such a way as to make this list more inclusive of the pre-LucasSpielberg era.

dirty_score

Post by dirty_score » February 15th, 2020, 2:46 pm

Yes, I know that at some point the WW list will inevitably reach the 1000 movies. I just wish that the rule of 200k was kept regardless of the source displaying 1000 titles. :imdb: top 50 lists display 100 titles but they chose to keep it at 50, because it's better for newcomers and that they probably won't click on the source button.

Anyway, it's the inflated list that's the real problem and maybe this one should be replaced by decade lists?! :shrug:

Teproc

Post by Teproc » February 15th, 2020, 2:55 pm

I feel the opposite way. 1000 may be too long for a domestic box-office list, but at least it makes some amount of sense: these are the 1000 most commercially succesful films in the US after 1980, essentially.

The worldwide list, OTOH... using money as a way of measuring success when you can't adjust for inflation makes the whole thing meaningless. Just count admissions, every country reports on admissions... but yes, I know we don't have a handy source for that, so a 1000 cap is preferable to a meaningless 200K cap at least.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » February 15th, 2020, 4:50 pm

Wild - I dropped 599 spots on the All Time (Adjusted) list... and gained exactly the same number on the All Time Worldwide. Safely outside the top 1000 on the former list now, and edging closer to breaking into the top 5000 on the latter. If only I cared.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » February 15th, 2020, 7:52 pm

dirty_score wrote:
February 15th, 2020, 2:46 pm
:imdb: top 50 lists display 100 titles but they chose to keep it at 50, because it's better for newcomers and that they probably won't click on the source button.
This is absolutely not true. The sourcepage is an advanced search on IMDb which we created. There are no lists of 100 on IMDb. There never have been. It's just that the advanced search results list 100 movies per page by default. We never decided to make a top 100 smaller. We only found a way to continue the old top 50's that used to be on IMDb. We didn't want to ditch those lists when IMDb did, because of legacy-reasons (the IMDb-lists is how iCM once started) and they are a good starting point for newbies.
ICM-profile

erde

Post by erde » February 15th, 2020, 8:34 pm

joachimt wrote:
February 15th, 2020, 7:43 am
I still want to create decade lists as well. Movies will keep dropping off, especially from the WW-list. So it would be a good idea to give a permanent list for the best X movies per decade.
Me too, absolutely! Especially, since inflation-adjusted list seems to misrepresent older films.
Image Image

tommy_leazaq
Donator

Post by tommy_leazaq » February 19th, 2020, 7:09 pm

I'm happy that the Box Office lists debate is settled for good now. Or is it?

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » February 19th, 2020, 8:11 pm

tommy_leazaq wrote:
February 19th, 2020, 7:09 pm
Or is it?
You never know with these lists. :shifty:
ICM-profile

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » February 19th, 2020, 8:40 pm

joachimt wrote:
February 19th, 2020, 8:11 pm
tommy_leazaq wrote:
Or is it?
But we consider it settled on our end, right? The "never know" is a reference to BOM making yet more changes - or am I misunderstanding something?

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » February 19th, 2020, 8:50 pm

xianjiro wrote:
February 19th, 2020, 8:40 pm
joachimt wrote:
February 19th, 2020, 8:11 pm
tommy_leazaq wrote:
Or is it?
But we consider it settled on our end, right? The "never know" is a reference to BOM making yet more changes - or am I misunderstanding something?
Yeah, I meant "you never know with BOM". We don't plan to change the listlengths, as long as BOM presents them in the current form.
ICM-profile

dirty_score

Post by dirty_score » February 19th, 2020, 8:53 pm

How frequent the list will be updated? On a weekly basis?

It seems to me the WW is more volatile than the other. 12 monkeys dropped off and now it's back at 1000th. :mw_confused:

albajos

Post by albajos » February 19th, 2020, 9:38 pm

That depend how BOM handle rereleases. Sometimes they continue the previous Box Office stats, sometimes they start anew (last one seem like a huge error, but they do)

With rereleases and recalculating the box office things will change. Older movies will usually get a boost either way. Gone with the Wind seems impossible to beat as it is recalculated higher and higher and higher as ticket prices rise.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » February 20th, 2020, 6:02 am

dirty_score wrote:
February 19th, 2020, 8:53 pm
How frequent the list will be updated? On a weekly basis?
I don't know how often BOM updates it, but I scheduled to update it every Tuesday.
ICM-profile