Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: 1970s (Results), 1950 (Jun 24th), Japan (Jun 30th), Essential Cinema (Jun 30th)
Challenges: Italy, Queer Cinema, Film From Each Year
Film of the Week: 46-okunen no koi, July nominations (Jun 25th)

Which official lists shouldn't be official?

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

It would be interesting to see what kind of films would make it on that list. So many of the "experimental" films on the old lists have become pretty commonplace nowadays, to the point where it's not so much a mindset anymore, but a fixed style. Someone doing something Brakhage-like nowadays, would that still count as experimental? How much overlap is there with music videos? There's some insane stuff on YouTube ... especially in the shorts section, I think it's become a lot messier than it used to be.
pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

My attempt to make a list of the most famous experimental filmmakers post-1975 (the one most likely to have been included in the Essential cinema list, had it been made in 2020)

James Benning
Patrick Bokanowski
Paul Clipson
Gustav Deutsch
Stephen Dwoskin
Takahiko Iimura
Christian Lebrat
Boris Lehman
Rose Lowder
Jonas Mekas
Werner Nekes
Gunvor Nelson
Vivian Ostrovsky
Quay Brothers
Jürgen Reble
Ben Rivers
Jay Rosenblatt
Jeff Scher
Jan Svankmajer
Peter Tscherkassky
Johan Van der Keuken
Frans Zwartjes

None of them is really Brakhage-like even if they were probably all influenced by his works.
"Art is like a fire, it is born from the very thing it burns" - Jean-Luc Godard
beavis

Post by beavis »

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

I think part of the issue is that the very nature of experimental filmmaking often goes against the idea of a ranked canon with a strong bent toward individualism. Many of them would be outrighted insulted by the very idea of comparing them to other filmmakers. Then some don't even consider themselves filmmakers at all but artists who just happen to be using video as their canvas at that particular point in time.

Plus it also goes back to the discussion that was had in the Experimental Challenge thread a couple months ago of what even constitute an experimental film vs arthouse or other. I think the difficulty in even nailing down a definition on what it is has made it more difficult to nail down what makes up the best of the genre unlike back in the 60s/70s when there was more of a collective movement mindset around it that enabled it to be more easily identified by those working inside it.

Also, I always see Jonas Mekas showing up in experimental discussions but honestly after seeing several of his more well-known works, he seems more like a personal documentarian. What he did really doesn't seem that far removed from something like Sherman's March which no one would call experimental.
monclivie

Post by monclivie »

jeff_v wrote: May 10th, 2021, 8:50 pm Can we at long last drop the Golden Globes list?
Sorry, most of the world doesn't care about the current imaginary issue with the GG. :shrug:
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

monclivie wrote: May 12th, 2021, 5:05 pm
jeff_v wrote: May 10th, 2021, 8:50 pm Can we at long last drop the Golden Globes list?
Sorry, most of the world doesn't care about the current imaginary issue with the GG. :shrug:
I'm pretty sure most of the world doesn't care about he GG or the HFPA one way or the other, issues or not.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Knaldskalle wrote: May 12th, 2021, 5:13 pm
I'm pretty sure most of the world doesn't care about he GG or the HFPA one way or the other, issues or not.
Well, most of the world doesn't care about anything we're doing.
🏳️‍⚧️
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Knaldskalle wrote: May 12th, 2021, 5:13 pm
Should still be the 2nd-most-famous award (ceremony) right after the Oscars. Maybe the Emmys come close, but that's it.
Yeah our list for the GGs sucks, there's no way around it though. :unsure: