Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Waiting for results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th)
Challenges: Experimental/Avant Garde, Benelux, Run the Director
Film of the Week: Daisan no kagemusha, March nominations (Feb 26th)

Amos Vogel's film as a subversive art list

Kasparius.

Amos Vogel's film as a subversive art list

Post by Kasparius. »

It seems that a lot of people, me included, would like to see this list on ICM:

http://www.listsofbests.com/list/65520- ... ersive-art
Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi »

Kasparius on Jul 15 2011, 01:31:21 PM wrote:It seems that a lot of people, me included, would like to see this list on ICM:

http://www.listsofbests.com/list/65520- ... ersive-art
I would definitely second that!
serri

Post by serri »

I dunno it doesn't exactly have a rigid set of criteria for what gets on the list. It's every movie he mentioned in a book on film. That would be like adding the entire Criterion collection to ICM. What? You say that's already on there? Well this is just a slippery slope to anarchy...

I would get a lot of nice checks though. I'd probably get a temporary boost into the top 100.
Kasparius.

Post by Kasparius. »

Serriform on Jul 15 2011, 02:05:13 PM wrote:I dunno it doesn't exactly have a rigid set of criteria for what gets on the list. It's every movie he mentioned in a book on film. That would be like adding the entire Criterion collection to ICM. What? You say that's already on there? Well this is just a slippery slope to anarchy...

I would get a lot of nice checks though. I'd probably get a temporary boost into the top 100.
I just think there is too much mainstream cinema on ICM and this would help it be less rigid.
serri

Post by serri »

Maybe this one.

: )

If only such a poll existed for every decade...
allisoncm

Post by allisoncm »

I am voting with a strong YES!!
burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan »

Sure, why not? Looks like an interesting list.
PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

Voted yes cause it's an interesting and different list, but, how many of these are missing from imdb? We should work on making sure the list is complete before asking ICM to put it up.
Kasparius.

Post by Kasparius. »

PeacefulAnarchy on Jul 15 2011, 06:21:33 PM wrote:Voted yes cause it's an interesting and different list, but, how many of these are missing from imdb? We should work on making sure the list is complete before asking ICM to put it up.
Agreed. If you look into it and make a list of which ones are missing, I'll gladly help by submitting a bunch.
PeacefulAnarchy

OK, I'll try to make an Imdb list for it later tonight and make note of what isn't there.

P.S. I'm pretty sure that list on listofbests is incomplete. It appears to, at the very least, be missing Part 4 of the book, which is another 30 or 40 films. Other references on the web point to the list being over 600 films which means others may be missing.

I have an electronic copy of the book to use as my source, does anyone have a physical copy they can use to verify whatever I come up with?
Last edited by PeacefulAnarchy on July 16th, 2011, 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
PeacefulAnarchy

An update. This is taking a little longer than expected due to imdb lists interface being pretty terrible, title errors and my own lack of time. I have gotten through about a quarter of the book and already there's about 20 out of 100 films missing from imdb, though maybe I just didn't find the right title. I'll try to get it all done and do a quick recheck by the end of the week.
BaalMan

Post by BaalMan »

I already have list of IMDB links of all available films. As soon as ICM 2.0 is working I'll create a list.
I added about 10 films in IMDB, but about 100 films don't have entry yet.
BaalMan

Post by BaalMan »

Update:
There are only 17 films with no IMDB entry now
allisoncm

Post by allisoncm »

BaalMan on Sep 26 2011, 12:43:10 PM wrote:Update:
There are only 17 films with no IMDB entry now
:thumbsup:
Kasparius

Post by Kasparius »

Great work.
PeacefulAnarchy

Thanks for the work, I got totally swamped and forgot to post the list of missing films here.
themagician

Post by themagician »

PeacefulAnarchy on Jul 15 2011, 06:48:15 PM wrote:P.S. I'm pretty sure that list on listofbests is incomplete. It appears to, at the very least, be missing Part 4 of the book, which is another 30 or 40 films. Other references on the web point to the list being over 600 films which means others may be missing.
Just came across this. I think it has all the films listed? At least it's implied... "[...] mini-essays on over 600 'subversive' and countercultural films." "View the complete list here".

If someone already had the full list then just ignore this! It just isn't clearly mentioned in this thread. Well now then everyone at least has access to it.

edit: Also are these the films without an IMDb entry?

edit2: Presumably yes since I see 'baalman' in that url... Missed it before >_>
Last edited by themagician on October 5th, 2011, 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

themagician on Oct 4 2011, 08:00:44 PM wrote:Just came across this. I think it has all the films listed? At least it's implied... "[...] mini-essays on over 600 'subversive' and countercultural films." "View the complete list here".
Is that the same list as the one at http://www.angoleiro.com/sbnb.cgi?l=1? Or is that one incomplete?
themagician

Post by themagician »

mjf314 on Oct 5 2011, 03:40:55 AM wrote:
themagician on Oct 4 2011, 08:00:44 PM wrote:Just came across this. I think it has all the films listed? At least it's implied... "[...] mini-essays on over 600 'subversive' and countercultural films." "View the complete list here".
Is that the same list as the one at http://www.angoleiro.com/sbnb.cgi?l=1? Or is that one incomplete?
Both of them apparently have 604 films so they should be same. Just counted them with the help of Firebug...
lampadatriste
Donator

Post by lampadatriste »

Is there a list on IMDB, incomplete or not?
themagician

Post by themagician »

lampadatriste on Oct 5 2011, 07:21:56 AM wrote:Is there a list on IMDB, incomplete or not?
Since nobody wants to do it let's split the work. Everyone picks some letters from the alphabet list below and then creates a list with the titles starting with those letters and publishes it publicly so that anyone can copy it to a master list (you can copy a list if you select text only view) that will have all the titles in the end.

Here's the letters and how many titles each letter has:

0 - 3
A - 36
B - 48
C - 33
D - 36
E - 26
F - 31
G - 17
H - 31
I - 25
J - 8
K - 6
L - 30
M - 43
N - 18
O - 20
P - 32
Q - 6
R - 32
S - 50
T - 25
U - 19 (incl. V)
W - 25
Y - 1
Z - 3

I might do a few letters later.

edit: I'll do some when I get a new mouse (tomorrow probably) because this current one keeps double clicking so selecting text is pretty frustrating.
Last edited by themagician on October 5th, 2011, 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lampadatriste
Donator

Post by lampadatriste »

That's great, I'm in. Your list is not correct, though, as A is not 3 entries. That's numbers and punctation. B has 48, so I suppose you need to skip a line in all the letters and the numbering will be fine. edit: This is not correct, as the y and z are fine.
Last edited by lampadatriste on October 5th, 2011, 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
themagician

Post by themagician »

lampadatriste on Oct 5 2011, 09:12:17 AM wrote:That's great, I'm in. Your list is not correct, though, as A is not 3 entries. That's numbers and punctation. B has 48, so I suppose you need to skip a line in all the letters and the numbering will be fine. edit: This is not correct, as the y and z are fine.
Oops! I had 'I' twice. Should be correct now.

Btw, I'm creating a GM script that will make creating IMDb lists from an existing list much faster. So I would recommend waiting a few hours to see if I can get it working.
lampadatriste
Donator

Post by lampadatriste »

I just realized what it is: there's no V.

edit: The website you shared has no entries beginning with V, but there's 16.
Last edited by lampadatriste on October 5th, 2011, 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
themagician

Post by themagician »

lampadatriste on Oct 5 2011, 09:21:25 AM wrote:I just realized what it is: there's no V.

edit: The website you shared has no entries beginning with V, but there's 16.
The Vs are apparently listed under U (corrected the list once again).
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

I can create a spreadsheet with Google "I'm Feeling Lucky" links for every film. I don't have time right now because I was just about to go, but I'll do it later today.
Last edited by mjf314 on October 5th, 2011, 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
themagician

Post by themagician »

mjf314 on Oct 5 2011, 09:47:08 AM wrote:I can create a spreadsheet with Google "I'm Feeling Lucky" links for every film. I don't have time right now because I was just about to go, but I'll do it later today.
I think my script would be more convenient. Here's how it works: You copy/paste a list of movies in to the bigger box shown below above the "current" text. Click the button that currently says Auto. Then it automatically fills the "Add a movie or TV show to this list:" search box with the first title and also searches it automatically. Then when you click an item in the search results, in this case "Spirited Away (2001)" it adds that to your IMDb list normally and then it takes the second title, searches it, etc. and keeps repeating until the end of the list. Here's how it looks:

Almost done btw...

edit: Typos...

EDIT2: I got the script working fully now! Works very nicely. Will just change the layout a bit maybe and post it then.

EDIT3: The script can be downloaded from the Greasemonkey scripts thread.
Last edited by themagician on October 5th, 2011, 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lampadatriste
Donator

Post by lampadatriste »

That looks amazing. Unfortunately it is not working under Chrome.

edit: I'll do a few manually, starting with V.
Last edited by lampadatriste on October 5th, 2011, 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lampadatriste
Donator

Post by lampadatriste »

Last edited by lampadatriste on October 6th, 2011, 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
themagician

Post by themagician »

lampadatriste on Oct 5 2011, 11:15:17 AM wrote:That looks amazing. Unfortunately it is not working under Chrome.

edit: I'll do a few manually, starting with V.
Here's how to get it working with Chrome:

- Install TamperMonkey extension
- Go to TamperMonkey's settings page and install new script
- Download the script (latest version 1.1.1) to your hard drive
- Open the script with a text editor and copy paste the script to TamperMonkey
- Save

Let me know if it works or not.

edit: I'm adding a feature that lets you remove unnecessary stuff from each title so that it'll find the titles a bit easier. Might want to wait for that before starting...
Last edited by themagician on October 5th, 2011, 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lampadatriste
Donator

Post by lampadatriste »

edit: It's now working. Great! I'll wait for that precious upgrade, now.

Just to clarify, I should install TamperMonkey and follow those steps even if I already installed it under Blank Canvas Script Handler?
Last edited by lampadatriste on October 5th, 2011, 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
themagician

Post by themagician »

lampadatriste on Oct 5 2011, 12:32:21 PM wrote:edit: It's now working. Great! I'll wait for that precious upgrade, now.

Just to clarify, I should install TamperMonkey and follow those steps even if I already installed it under Blank Canvas Script Handler?
Yes, the Blank Canvas Script Handler doesn't support a certain feature.

Anyway, you can now install the version 1.2.0.

It looks a bit different, namely it has the "Current" text field back and a new one called "Regexp". Regexps (Regular expressions) can be used to extract only certain information from text. If you use the list from artandpopularculture.com put this in the Regexp text field before clicking Start:

Code: Select all

^(.[^(]*)
It converts e.g. this:

...and the Fifth Horseman Is Fear (A Paty Jezdec Je Strach ...) (Zbyněk Brynych, 1964, Czechoslovakia)
to this:

...and the Fifth Horseman Is Fear
IMDb has some trouble if it has all that in the search field. You can still see the full title in the "Current" text field (select the text if it's too long and you can see the end if you need that information, e.g. a year).
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

themagician on Oct 5 2011, 09:57:11 AM wrote:I think my script would be more convenient. Here's how it works: You copy/paste a list of movies in to the bigger box shown below above the "current" text. Click the button that currently says Auto. Then it automatically fills the "Add a movie or TV show to this list:" search box with the first title and also searches it automatically. Then when you click an item in the search results, in this case "Spirited Away (2001)" it adds that to your IMDb list normally and then it takes the second title, searches it, etc. and keeps repeating until the end of the list. Here's how it looks:
The problem with using the IMDb's "Add a movie" search is that it doesn't work very well. You often have to scroll down to find the correct film, and it's hard to tell if it's the correct film because you can't see the name of the director.

With the "I'm Feeling Lucky" method it takes about 2 seconds per film, so it's pretty convenient, and it's easy to see if it's the correct film.

Here's how my method works:

1. First I copy the list into my spreadsheet.
2. The spreadsheet automatically creates "I'm Feeling Lucky" links in the form of site:imdb.com/title/ filmtitle (year)
3. I use the "Multi Links" addon to quickly open many links at once.
4. Keeping the pointer on the "Add to Watchlist" button, I alternate between clicking and ctrl+w.
5. After I add all of the films to the watchlist, I move them into a new list.
Last edited by mjf314 on October 5th, 2011, 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

If anyone wants to give my method a try, here's the spreadsheet with the links: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub ... Wg1RlBKTnc
lampadatriste
Donator

Post by lampadatriste »

I've done V, W, Y and Z. They're all in the same list. I'll keep updating it. From now on I'll announce here first which letters I'll be working on.
lampadatriste
Donator

Post by lampadatriste »

List of films not on IMDB:

Tales (Cassandra Gerstein, 1970, USA)
UFO's (Lillian Schwartz and Ken Knowlton, 1972, USA)
What Goes On At Sex Therapy Clinics (Community Medical Cable Casting, 1972, USA)
Last edited by lampadatriste on October 6th, 2011, 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
themagician

Post by themagician »

Btw, I added a new version (1.3.0) of the script that adds a Skip button (if a movie isn't found) and also when you finish a list you don't have to refresh the page to start a new list.
themagician

Post by themagician »

I've done 0 (numbers), A-P Will probably do a bit more.

List of films not on IMDb:

Acupunctural Anaesthesia, (Peking Television, 1971, China )
Aktion 540, (Werner Koenigs, 1968, West Germany)
The Archives Testify (a film series by andrew&annelie thorndike, what films does it consist of?)
Beaver Films (Stag, 1970, USA)
Constitution And Censorship (Stephen Sharff, 1953, USA)
Dead Movie (Taka Iimura, 1968, USA)
Demonstrations (Strahov) (Anonymous, 1967, Czechoslovakia)
Eight Flags For 99 Cents (Charles Olin,1970,USA)
Electrosex (Anonymous,1970,USA)
Everready (Anonymous,1925,USA)
Family (Hubert Smith,1971,USA)
Fingerexercise (Fingerubung) (Robert Schauer,1969,Switzerland)
Hog Calling Blues (Neal Pace, 1969, USA)
Look At Life (Nicholas Gosling, 1969, Great Britain)
Meditation On The End Of Human Life (Posledni Veci Cloveka) (Jovan Kubicek, 1967, Czechoslovakia)
None Story, The (Stag, 1950s, USA)
Palestine (Nick Macdonald, 1971, USA)
Particle Removal Series (David McCullough, 1972, USA)
Prune Flat (Robert Whitman, 1965, USA)
Race, The (William Copland, 1970, Australia)

edit: Here's the list so far if anyone wants to verify they're all correct. If I wasn't sure about something I did write some note for that film.

http://www.imdb.com/list/INKu_OBhkDw/

edit2: I'm not sure why IMDb claims I've rated all those films... I've only rated 7.
Last edited by themagician on October 6th, 2011, 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lampadatriste
Donator

Post by lampadatriste »

I'm doing T and U.

edit: S is also done.
Last edited by lampadatriste on October 6th, 2011, 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
themagician

Post by themagician »

lampadatriste on Oct 5 2011, 07:45:46 PM wrote:I'm doing T and U.

edit: S is also done.
Cool. I'm currently doing N. You do Q and R and I'll do O and P?

edit: O is done. Starting P...

edit2: P is also done. You can do the rest.

The films I couldn't find can be found a post above. Some films that were more than one film were mentioned as a single entry, e.g. I am Curious Blue / Yellow are two films and Olympia part 1/2 so there's a few more films in the list than should be.

The final list starting with 0 (numbers) and A-P is here: http://www.imdb.com/list/INKu_OBhkDw/

edit3: I'm going to sleep so if anyone finds any of the entries I couldn't find please post the IMDb links in this thread (and how you found them! :P ). When lampadatriste has finished the last few letters (unless someone else wants to do them) you can combine the lists.
Last edited by themagician on October 6th, 2011, 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.