Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Waiting for results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th)
Challenges: Experimental/Avant Garde, Benelux, Run the Director
Film of the Week: Daisan no kagemusha, March nominations (Feb 26th)

Official lists updates

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Torgo wrote: February 10th, 2021, 3:52 am As our site is called ICheckArtInstallations, I am perfectly fine with this. :innocent:
but only if they are contained in a single room and had no plans to go into other rooms - I forget, how big can the one room be before it violates another rule? :shrug:
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Fergenaprido wrote: February 10th, 2021, 4:09 am
DEAD MOVIE
(Taka Iimura, USA, 1968)
Projectors and blank screen as metaphysical monsters, a performance of Iimura's Dead Movie -- face to face projections of two 16mm projectors; one projects a white frame (without film),
the other projects black leader in an endless loop.
So, one is left to wonder: is viewing a particular "black leader in an endless loop" required, will just any old "black leader in an endless loop" do? I assume since it's from '68, that would be a yes to MLK and a no to Obama.

Now, as for the filmless white frame, how much candlepower? size? I hope were not requiring the original bulb or anything.

Just hope the whole thing has English subtitles or we've got a real problem ... :P
yllow

Post by yllow »

Dead Movie has 15 checks. How?
dirty_score

Post by dirty_score »

yllow wrote: February 10th, 2021, 10:44 am Dead Movie has 15 checks. How?
They saw the short clip online, decided it was enough since it's an art instalation and proceeded to check it.
Spoiler
It's called "check whoring".
zuma
Donator

Post by zuma »

dirty_score wrote: February 10th, 2021, 11:56 am
They saw the short clip online, decided it was enough since it's an art instalation and proceeded to check it.
Spoiler
It was on display in New York a few years ago. Maybe they saw it there.
dirty_score

Post by dirty_score »

zuma wrote: February 10th, 2021, 12:42 pm
Spoiler
Look, I really don't care but I sincerely doubt it. Maybe someone like nbats, kellyoung and qwijybo since they're from the US.
The rest, I don't see them making a trip to NY just to go to some instalation art and check an "official movie" on ICM.

But hey, maybe they saved the ticket. I know I saved mine in case anyone asks how I saw one of the Ghibli museum exclusives shorts, but because it's pretty cool and not a normal paper mind you :P
Harco
Donator

Post by Harco »

dirty_score wrote: February 10th, 2021, 3:39 pm
zuma wrote: February 10th, 2021, 12:42 pm

Spoiler
Look, I really don't care but I sincerely doubt it. Maybe someone like nbats, kellyoung and qwijybo since they're from the US.
The rest, I don't see them making a trip to NY just to go to some instalation art and check an "official movie" on ICM.

But hey, maybe they saved the ticket. I know I saved mine in case anyone asks how I saw one of the Ghibli museum exclusives shorts, but because it's pretty cool and not a normal paper mind you :P
I saw Mr. Dough and the Egg Princess at the Ghibli Museum, but it’s even in the iCM Forum’s 500<400, so they’re not that rare, are they?
:ICM: | :letbxd:
dirty_score

Post by dirty_score »

Harco wrote: February 10th, 2021, 5:03 pm I saw Mr. Dough and the Egg Princess at the Ghibli Museum, but it’s even in the iCM Forum’s 500<400, so they’re not that rare, are they?
I reckon they are. Apart from that one, can you find the other ones online?
Harco
Donator

Post by Harco »

dirty_score wrote: February 10th, 2021, 6:09 pm
Harco wrote: February 10th, 2021, 5:03 pm I saw Mr. Dough and the Egg Princess at the Ghibli Museum, but it’s even in the iCM Forum’s 500<400, so they’re not that rare, are they?
I reckon they are. Apart from that one, can you find the other ones online?
Haha, I never bothered searching for the others, I suppose.
monclivie

Post by monclivie »

Is there any part of Dead Movie installation not included in this short clip? If not, this isn't like checking 1 minute clip from the lost 10 minute movie, but more like watching cam version of any movie or seeing exclusive theme park/museum films on Youtube. Not the best experience possible, but still you saw everything there was to see. How is it even on IMDb?
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

monclivie wrote: February 10th, 2021, 9:42 pm Is there any part of Dead Movie installation not included in this short clip? If not, this isn't like checking 1 minute clip from the lost 10 minute movie, but more like watching cam version of any movie or seeing exclusive theme park/museum films on Youtube. Not the best experience possible, but still you saw everything there was to see. How is it even on IMDb?
My guess is someone added it to imdb after seeing it was in Vogel's book. He lists the year as 1968, but I've seen other places list it as 1964.

Based on my limited research, it does suggest that the clip I shared shows you everything the installation has to offer.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Fergenaprido wrote: February 10th, 2021, 9:47 pm
monclivie wrote: February 10th, 2021, 9:42 pmHow is it even on IMDb?
My guess is someone added it to imdb after seeing it was in Vogel's book.
Yeah, just looks like it. If you ask me, it has no right to being in the database. Well, there we are.

I think the thing is checkable as we have it now, but I won't do it alone. :P
WalterNeff
Donator

Post by WalterNeff »

Torgo wrote: February 10th, 2021, 11:18 pm
Fergenaprido wrote: February 10th, 2021, 9:47 pm
monclivie wrote: February 10th, 2021, 9:42 pmHow is it even on IMDb?
My guess is someone added it to imdb after seeing it was in Vogel's book.
Yeah, just looks like it. If you ask me, it has no right to being in the database. Well, there we are.

I think the thing is checkable as we have it now, but I won't do it alone. :P
I'll dip my toe in that water. Checked.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

This month Criterion update:

Merrily We Go to Hell (1932, Dorothy Arzner)
Nightmare Alley (1947, Edmund Goulding)
Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982, Amy Heckerling)
Flowers of Shanghai (1998, Hou Hsiao-Hsien)
WalterNeff
Donator

Post by WalterNeff »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: February 12th, 2021, 5:58 pm This month Criterion update:

Merrily We Go to Hell (1932, Dorothy Arzner)
Pre-Code
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Oh, cool. New Official Check that I have actually seen (I think somebody nominated for the DTC in the past?).
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

You guys better get ready for Detective Chinatown 3 hitting the BO list soon.
Harco
Donator

Post by Harco »

Onderhond wrote: February 15th, 2021, 12:14 pm You guys better get ready for Detective Chinatown 3 hitting the BO list soon.
Thanks for the heads-up. Still have to watch the first two, but now I’ll wait until part three is available.

Does anyone want to add the Mandarin title to IMDb and set it as the default title?

EDIT: It's already on BOM's website with a crazy USD 400m in its opening weekend. Joachim, can you update the list?
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Harco wrote: February 15th, 2021, 12:44 pm EDIT: It's already on BOM's website with a crazy USD 400m in its opening weekend. Joachim, can you update the list?
Haha, yeah, saw a post about it's insane opening this weekend. Didn't know they were so quick to pick it up.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Wow, pulverized Avengers!
Will be soon time to rename BOM "All Time Worldwide Box Office" to "China's most pop blockbusters". tehe 2020 has an insane quota of them, 2021 will probably not change much and then the market is rather to grow than to decline ..
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Torgo wrote: February 15th, 2021, 2:02 pm Will be soon time to rename BOM "All Time Worldwide Box Office" to "China's most pop blockbusters".
Why though? The list isn't called "US All Time blockbusters now" either ;)
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

tehe <- It's a bit tongue in cheek, you know.
Although I always argued regarding the Indian IMDb ratings and now the China smash hits that they still differ from Hollywood's output - those are successful and dominating all over the world, like it or not. (That the cinematic qualities of new BOM top entries aren't exactly S&S-worthy I will not dispute)

China can and will now produce "worldwide" box office records as a single market due to their incredible size, also without releases in the rest of the world. Hollywood still needed Europe's market, the rest of the world and in the last decade, ironically, especially the Chinese box office to generate really stunning figures.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Harco wrote: February 15th, 2021, 12:44 pm Joachim, can you update the list?
I have a reminder for myself every Tuesday to update this list, so no need to ask me every time something new enters the list. I skipped it for a while when everything was closed, but I'll try to do it weekly again. Maybe I'll skip it sometimes if I'm busy.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
Harco
Donator

Post by Harco »

Okay. :)
Panunzio

Post by Panunzio »

It looks like the Time Out French list has been updated. I just had a brief look, but it appears they've reorganised some of the titles, and there must be a couple new ones (I've noticed that Raymond Bernard's Wooden Crosses has made an appearance on the list)

https://www.timeout.com/paris/en/film/b ... nch-movies
zuma
Donator

Post by zuma »

Panunzio wrote: February 15th, 2021, 11:55 pm It looks like the Time Out French list has been updated. I just had a brief look, but it appears they've reorganised some of the titles, and there must be a couple new ones (I've noticed that Raymond Bernard's Wooden Crosses has made an appearance on the list)

There also seems to be a bunch of post 2000 additions.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Panunzio wrote: February 15th, 2021, 11:55 pm It looks like the Time Out French list has been updated. I just had a brief look, but it appears they've reorganised some of the titles, and there must be a couple new ones (I've noticed that Raymond Bernard's Wooden Crosses has made an appearance on the list)

The source for the Time Out French list is https://www.timeout.fr/paris/films/100- ... ncais-home (French language), not the English language one. But looking at the source now it does seem a few things have changed in that one too (and something looks messed up as there are only 98 entries now).

I don't know why they have different lists in different languages. :shrug:
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Fergenaprido wrote: February 16th, 2021, 12:48 am
I don't know why they have different lists in different languages. :shrug:
different target audiences
Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 »

I tried to contact them about it month ago ... but never got an answer. If i remember well there are some films missing from the 100 list ...
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/ratsasan-2018/ has crossed the 25,000 vote threshold and will enter the imdb Top 250 list upon the next update (and become a new official check). I wasn't sure if it would make it or not, but it comes in at #164 despite it's 8.6 rating. Time will tell if it will stay on the list, rise over time, or start it's inevitable descent.

Farewell My Concubine and Nobody Knows also passed the threshold in the last month, but neither made the Top 250.

Tarkovsky's The Sacrifice is 300 votes away from the threshold, but it's rating is currently 8.1, the same as the other two near misses, so not sure if it will make it or not. After that, it'll be some time (six months, perhaps) before another film crosses the threshold (unless there's a new release that does well), so any Top 250 changes are likely to be the same handful of films that keep shuffling around in the 245-255 range.
Last edited by Fergenaprido on February 21st, 2021, 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Thanks for the info, for us IMDb lovers that's always interesting :) The weighted top list value of films is rarely the same as on their own film page, so one might always be surprised. On the list overview the values often differ, especially for the Indian films, for whatever reasons ..

btw, you butchered the title of one of Koreeda's best films imo, Nobody Knows, but that's okay. :D
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Torgo wrote: February 20th, 2021, 11:25 pm Thanks for the info, for us IMDb lovers that's always interesting :) The weighted top list value of films is rarely the same as on their own film page, so one might always be surprised. On the list overview the values often differ, especially for the Indian films, for whatever reasons ..

btw, you butchered the title of one of Koreeda's best films imo, Nobody Knows, but that's okay. :D
Whoops. :facepalm: Thanks, I'll fix it. I still haven't seen it, though it's been high on my watchlist for nigh on a decade.

Yeah, the weighted score is what always keeps me guessing whether or not a film will make it into the list.
Chilton

Post by Chilton »

Has TSPDT's 21st Century list been updated yet?
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

Nope.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

If PA and his magic don't make an appearance today or tomorrow I'll do it. I understood from Joachim in the other thread that PA has a method as he's the one who updates the TSPDT lists every year. I downloaded Bill's spreadsheet of all films which should make the update easier.

I'll try to get it done on Wednesday this week if it's not updated by then.
Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway »

Fergenaprido wrote: February 20th, 2021, 11:15 pm
Tarkovsky's The Sacrifice is 300 votes away from the threshold, but it's rating is currently 8.1, the same as the other two near misses, so not sure if it will make it or not. After that, it'll be some time (six months, perhaps) before another film crosses the threshold (unless there's a new release that does well), so any Top 250 changes are likely to be the same handful of films that keep shuffling around in the 245-255 range.
Is there an easy way to check on this?
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Check what, exactly?

I have this advanced search page bookmarked that I check daily/weekly depending on how close a film is to crossing the threshold: https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?titl ... &count=250

In reality, though, only films with a rating of 8.1 or more (not 8.0 as the filter is) have a chance of making it now, as the ratings have gradually increased over the years. And even then, it's no guarantee. Films newly crossing the 25,000-vote threshold probably need an 8.2 or 8.3, plus not be a "mafia" film, to have a chance at making the list nowadays.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Fergenaprido wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 11:41 pm If PA and his magic don't make an appearance today or tomorrow I'll do it. I understood from Joachim in the other thread that PA has a method as he's the one who updates the TSPDT lists every year. I downloaded Bill's spreadsheet of all films which should make the update easier.

I'll try to get it done on Wednesday this week if it's not updated by then.
I've sent him a PM on iCM. I'll try one on the official forum as well. He was there yesterday.
ICM-profile
Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway »

Fergenaprido wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 7:17 am Check what, exactly?

I have this advanced search page bookmarked that I check daily/weekly depending on how close a film is to crossing the threshold: https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?titl ... &count=250

In reality, though, only films with a rating of 8.1 or more (not 8.0 as the filter is) have a chance of making it now, as the ratings have gradually increased over the years. And even then, it's no guarantee. Films newly crossing the 25,000-vote threshold probably need an 8.2 or 8.3, plus not be a "mafia" film, to have a chance at making the list nowadays.
Actually, that's what I was looking for.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/hi+mom/

New official check on the BO-list enters at #151.
I even had to import it to iCM!!
ICM-profile