Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Favorite Movies (Results), 1945 (Results), 1929 awards (Apr 4th), South Asia (Apr 25th), Doubling the Canon (Ratings Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Nordic, 1950s
Film of the Week: The Music of Chance, May nominations (May 1st)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1F: Brazil vs Greece vs Japan vs Poland (Apr 5th), 1G: Germany vs Pakistan vs Ukraine vs USA (Apr 22nd)

Official lists updates

blocho
Donator

Re: Official lists updates

Post by blocho » March 14th, 2020, 8:43 pm

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 8:41 pm
That angle makes it look like the rhino is impaling the hippo with its horn.
Dang. I'm 0-for-2. My friend also said it was cute, but he said it made him think about how Don Trump Jr would eventually kill these animals on one of his trophy hunts. So I found a picture of a hippo taking a shit and edited in Trump Jr's head so it looked like the hippo was shitting on Trump.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » March 14th, 2020, 8:45 pm

Fergenaprido wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 8:08 pm
maxwelldeux wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 7:27 pm
Onderhond wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 7:23 pm
I don't think ICM should stop finetuning the names of the list because you have some weird tic where you want to keep the list names in a local spreadsheet.
That's fine - but maybe have some fucking communication about the changes, and don't say you're done when you're not.

Literally, if you want to the Progress page and hadn't been following this one very specific thread, it would be nigh impossible to figure out what's going on.
To be fair to Joachim, he did publicly announce that the changes were coming a week or so before they were made, and the only changes that have been made since he said he was done have been because people here have pointed out errors or inconsistencies. There's no need for such uncouth language, even if you're frustrated.

Collectively, could we all agree to maintain/bring back a certain level of civility in this thread (and on this forum in general)? I think the foul and condescending language from some users is totally uncalled for.
The announcement was here, not on ICM. There was a comment on a blog post (which I just found) on ICM, but not announced in any public-facing way. The errors and inconsistencies should have been worked out before being pushed live to the ICM website - test, ask for feedback, whatever.

Literally every single time there's a major change on ICM, it's very poorly communicated. It's a constant source of frustration that's putting me off a) ICM in general, and b) this forum, specifically. Speaking personally, I put a lot of time with my wife into building a watch list off the IndieWire Directed by women list at the end of Feb that she wanted to watch - only to wake up March 1 to a message that that list was scrapped.

And these new name changes have introduced a host of new problems. Like the display issue (which I mostly don't care about) to the inability to search for key words (try to find the directed by women list by searching for "women") to some very large and significant changes to the names that will effectively render it impossible for people to figure what the list is if they don't have the inaccurate spreadsheet sent out yesterday (go and look for "The Deuce" or "Spiritually Significant" lists).

It's really demotivating to me to do anything for ICM or this forum.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 14th, 2020, 8:46 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
Onderhond wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 7:23 pm
I don't think ICM should stop finetuning the names of the list because you have some weird tic where you want to keep the list names in a local spreadsheet.
That's fine - but maybe have some fucking communication about the changes, and don't say you're done when you're not.

Literally, if you want to the Progress page and hadn't been following this one very specific thread, it would be nigh impossible to figure out what's going on.
I thought the changes were done until forumites requested further changes :think: be more responsive but don't change a thing, right :ermm:

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » March 14th, 2020, 9:13 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 8:45 pm
The announcement was here, not on ICM. There was a comment on a blog post (which I just found) on ICM, but not announced in any public-facing way.
There's also a post on the other forum.
Literally every single time there's a major change on ICM, it's very poorly communicated.
This is true, though. We probably should have made a blog post, and in general make them more frequently for mediumish stuff like this.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » March 14th, 2020, 10:42 pm

I updated my script. Now it displays the full list name on both the progress page and movie pages.

On the progress page, there are 2 columns, but it switches to 1 column if the window width is small (it only checks the width once, when you load the page). Every row is the same height, so the columns will be lined up.

To install the script:
Open the Tampermonkey dashboard in Chrome. Click + to create a new script. Copy/paste the code and press ctrl+S to save.

Code: Select all

// ==UserScript==
// @name         icm full list names
// @match        https://*.icheckmovies.com/profiles/progress/*
// @match        https://*.icheckmovies.com/movies/*
// ==/UserScript==

const progress = location.href.includes('profiles/progress');
const wide = document.documentElement.clientWidth >= 1050;

if (progress) {
    if (wide) {
        const containers = document.querySelectorAll('.container');
        for (const i of containers) {
            i.style.width = '1050px';
        }
    }
    else {
        const tabs = document.querySelectorAll('ol[id*=progress]');
        for (const parent of tabs) {
            let children = parent.children;
            for (let i = 1; i < children.length/2; i++) {
                parent.appendChild(children[i]);
            }
        }
    }

const x = document.querySelectorAll('.listItem');
    for (const i of x) {
        i.style.width = '500px';
        i.style.height = '22px';
    }

const y = document.querySelectorAll('.progressPercentage');
    for (const i of y) {
        i.setAttribute('style', 'width:409px !important');
    }
}

const z = document.querySelectorAll('.listItem h3');
for (const i of z) {
    i.style.width = progress ? '325px' : '235px';
    i.style.display = 'block';
    if (progress) {
        i.style.top = '65%';
        i.style.transform = 'translateY(-50%)';
    }
}

const lists = document.querySelectorAll('.title.icon.genreIcon');
for (const i of lists) {
    const title = i.title;
    i.innerHTML = title.replace('View the ', '').replace(' top list', '');
}

WalterNeff
Donator

Post by WalterNeff » March 14th, 2020, 10:54 pm

You guys are missing the big picture, which is there is an odd number of lists, which makes the two columns on the progress page uneven. How people have stood for this as long as they have is a mystery to me.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » March 14th, 2020, 11:05 pm

WalterNeff wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 10:54 pm
You guys are missing the big picture, which is there is an odd number of lists, which makes the two columns on the progress page uneven. How people have stood for this as long as they have is a mystery to me.
I don't know if you're joking but this does bother me. It wasn't always this way, though. For a while we kept it even.

WalterNeff
Donator

Post by WalterNeff » March 14th, 2020, 11:12 pm

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 11:05 pm
WalterNeff wrote:
I don't know if you're joking but this does bother me. It wasn't always this way, though. For a while we kept it even.
Who me, joke? A quick fix - add the Pre-Code list right away, and all will be well.

Teproc

Post by Teproc » March 14th, 2020, 11:44 pm

WalterNeff wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 11:12 pm
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
WalterNeff wrote:
Who me, joke? A quick fix - add the Pre-Code list right away, and all will be well.
Removing the 1,000 Noir list would be just as effective. :whistling:

WalterNeff
Donator

Post by WalterNeff » March 15th, 2020, 1:16 am

Teproc wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 11:44 pm
WalterNeff wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 11:12 pm
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:

But that would leave 198 lists, and 198 is inauspicious in that it is between the twin prime pair of 197 and 199.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 15th, 2020, 2:14 am

mjf314 wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 10:42 pm
I updated my script. Now it displays the full list name on both the progress page and movie pages.

On the progress page, there are 2 columns, but it switches to 1 column if the window width is small (it only checks the width once, when you load the page). Every row is the same width, so the columns will be lined up.

To install the script:
Open the Tampermonkey dashboard in Chrome. Click + to create a new script. Copy/paste the code and press ctrl+S to save.

Code: Select all

// ==UserScript==
// @name         icm full list names
// @match        https://*.icheckmovies.com/profiles/progress/*
// @match        https://*.icheckmovies.com/movies/*
// ==/UserScript==

const progress = location.href.includes('profiles/progress');
const wide = document.documentElement.clientWidth >= 1050;

if (progress) {
    if (wide) {
        const containers = document.querySelectorAll('.container');
        for (const i of containers) {
            i.style.width = '1050px';
        }
    }
    else {
        const tabs = document.querySelectorAll('ol[id*=progress]');
        for (const parent of tabs) {
            let children = parent.children;
            for (let i = 1; i < children.length/2; i++) {
                parent.appendChild(children[i]);
            }
        }
    }

const x = document.querySelectorAll('.listItem');
    for (const i of x) {
        i.style.width = '500px';
        i.style.height = '22px';
    }

const y = document.querySelectorAll('.progressPercentage');
    for (const i of y) {
        i.setAttribute('style', 'width:409px !important');
    }
}

const z = document.querySelectorAll('.listItem h3');
for (const i of z) {
    i.style.width = progress ? '325px' : '235px';
    i.style.display = 'block';
}

const lists = document.querySelectorAll('.title.icon.genreIcon');
for (const i of lists) {
    const title = i.title;
    i.innerHTML = title.replace('View the ', '').replace(' top list', '');
}

:thumbsup: This is awesome, thanks. The cut-off titles always bothered me, but I was so familiar with them all it was never a serious issue. This is much nicer.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » March 15th, 2020, 6:46 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 7:28 pm
joachimt wrote:
March 13th, 2020, 8:54 pm
I'm done!!

Spreadsheet coming up......
joachimt wrote:
March 13th, 2020, 9:07 pm
Here are spreadsheets of the changes:
https://we.tl/t-ratfNiEUE7

The one that says "COMPLETE" includes all official lists. In some cases the title changed, but the url didn't (change of capitalization).
The one that says "ONLY NEW URLS" contains all lists of which the url changed.
Out of date.
Max, I only changed two names after I said I'm done. In the process of renaming 199 names, it's not uncommon to make a mistake or two. These mistakes have been fixed.

Here are the updated spreadsheets including the two changes.
https://we.tl/t-f5azVdXML1
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » March 15th, 2020, 1:26 pm

I edited the script again (the code is in my previous post), to vertically center each list name within the row.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » March 15th, 2020, 4:58 pm

mjf314 wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 10:42 pm

On the progress page, there are 2 columns, but it switches to 1 column if the window width is small (it only checks the width once, when you load the page). Every row is the same height, so the columns will be lined up.

To install the script:

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » March 15th, 2020, 5:00 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 8:45 pm
Fergenaprido wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 8:08 pm
maxwelldeux wrote:

To be fair to Joachim, he did publicly announce that the changes were coming a week or so before they were made, and the only changes that have been made since he said he was done have been because people here have pointed out errors or inconsistencies. There's no need for such uncouth language, even if you're frustrated.

Collectively, could we all agree to maintain/bring back a certain level of civility in this thread (and on this forum in general)? I think the foul and condescending language from some users is totally uncalled for.
The announcement was here, not on ICM. There was a comment on a blog post (which I just found) on ICM, but not announced in any public-facing way. The errors and inconsistencies should have been worked out before being pushed live to the ICM website - test, ask for feedback, whatever.

Literally every single time there's a major change on ICM, it's very poorly communicated. It's a constant source of frustration that's putting me off a) ICM in general, and b) this forum, specifically. Speaking personally, I put a lot of time with my wife into building a watch list off the IndieWire Directed by women list at the end of Feb that she wanted to watch - only to wake up March 1 to a message that that list was scrapped.

And these new name changes have introduced a host of new problems. Like the display issue (which I mostly don't care about) to the inability to search for key words (try to find the directed by women list by searching for "women") to some very large and significant changes to the names that will effectively render it impossible for people to figure what the list is if they don't have the inaccurate spreadsheet sent out yesterday (go and look for "The Deuce" or "Spiritually Significant" lists).

It's really demotivating to me to do anything for ICM or this forum.
You and/or your wife can still watch those movies. They didn't diminish in quality suddenly in a day because a list became unofficial.

Panunzio

Post by Panunzio » March 17th, 2020, 11:18 am

How are updated to the 366weirdmovies list being treated? They finished with the 366 movies a little over a year ago, but the blog has still been posting sporadic updates, and has begun to include an apocrypha. On the website, these films are treated as a part, or an extension of the list. They have a place on the sidebar listing all of the films on the list, and they are placed in 'the list' category as well. They seem to incorporate films that they didn't get around to reviewing the first time around, as well as new films that were released following the review of the 366th film. The speed at which films are added to the list seems to have slowed considerably, but doesn't seem to have been stopped.

Are these to become official as well? Personally, I'd be all for it!

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » March 17th, 2020, 3:58 pm

At the time we last talked about it we took a let's wait and see approach since it was shortly after the list was completed. We haven't had any recent discussions, maybe we should. I have no opinion on it at the moment.

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » March 17th, 2020, 7:12 pm

Teproc wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 11:44 pm

Whoa. This idea is GENIUS.

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » March 18th, 2020, 8:56 pm

Criterion is adding....

Portrait of a Lady on Fire
Come and See (finally!)
The Cameraman
An Unmarried Woman

plus a separate release of Tokyo Olympiad

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » March 18th, 2020, 9:06 pm

Updated.

Teproc

Post by Teproc » March 19th, 2020, 9:13 am

Looks like the ICM Most Checked and Most Favorited lists aren't updating anymore.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » March 19th, 2020, 6:52 pm

Teproc wrote:
March 19th, 2020, 9:13 am
Looks like the ICM Most Checked and Most Favorited lists aren't updating anymore.
I wonder if this has anything to do with me updating the names recently. :think:
I'll ask Marijn.
ICM-profile

Darth Nevets

Post by Darth Nevets » March 19th, 2020, 7:54 pm

joachimt wrote:
March 19th, 2020, 6:52 pm
Teproc wrote:
I wonder if this has anything to do with me updating the names recently. :think:
I'll ask Marijn.
The real question is how no one here is complaining about your last two additions to ATWWBO despite them not being on the source and their combined gross not making it to number 1000. :mw_confused:

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » March 19th, 2020, 8:00 pm

Darth Nevets wrote:
March 19th, 2020, 7:54 pm
joachimt wrote:
Teproc wrote:
I'll ask Marijn.
The real question is how no one here is complaining about your last two additions to ATWWBO despite them not being on the source and their combined gross not making it to number 1000. :mw_confused:
Lol, The Goldfinch with a worldwide box office of $39.6 million is on the list, yeah. Somebody done goofed.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » March 19th, 2020, 8:11 pm

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
March 19th, 2020, 8:00 pm
Darth Nevets wrote:
March 19th, 2020, 7:54 pm
joachimt wrote:

I'll ask Marijn.
Lol, The Goldfinch with a worldwide box office of $39.6 million is on the list, yeah. Somebody done goofed.
Obviously a problem there --- but it does cause me to reflect on the fact that those box office lists aren't going to be changing a whole lot the next few months, in fact they'll likely be the most static they've ever been (apart from error corrections I guess). Nobody going out to see movies! So the big silver lining in this pandemic is... more people getting awards on those two lists. Woo hoo!

dirty_score

Post by dirty_score » March 19th, 2020, 8:36 pm

It's not joachim's fault. I've noticed that too. Those two movies were there until today. I've also found it strange that those movies got in the list when both of them were flops. It was a Box Office Mojo mistake.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » March 20th, 2020, 5:13 pm

dirty_score wrote:
March 19th, 2020, 8:36 pm
It's not joachim's fault. I've noticed that too. Those two movies were there until today. I've also found it strange that those movies got in the list when both of them were flops. It was a Box Office Mojo mistake.
I don't even look at the titles when I update the lists. I copy all the BOM-urls of the list using Linkclump. I paste them in an Excel-sheet. The BOM-urls include IMDb-tt-numbers. The sheet changes the BOM-urls into IMDb-urls, which I paste on iCM. So what is on BOM will end up on iCM.

The flaw will be fixed next Tuesday.
ICM-profile

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » March 21st, 2020, 2:04 am

"The New York Times's Book of Movies"

Really? What's wrong with "The New York Times's Essential 1,000 Films to See"?

WalterNeff
Donator

Post by WalterNeff » March 21st, 2020, 3:02 am

Ebbywebby wrote:
March 21st, 2020, 2:04 am
"The New York Times's Book of Movies"

Really? What's wrong with "The New York Times's Essential 1,000 Films to See"?
the apostrophe s is what's wrong with both of them. https://www.amazon.com/New-York-Times-B ... 078933657X

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » March 21st, 2020, 3:21 am

My understanding is that the other mods looked at a NYT style guide or some other reference and that apostrophe format is what they use when referring to themselves. I remember a discussion specifically about that one.

WalterNeff
Donator

Post by WalterNeff » March 21st, 2020, 1:48 pm

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
March 21st, 2020, 3:21 am
My understanding is that the other mods looked at a NYT style guide or some other reference and that apostrophe format is what they use when referring to themselves. I remember a discussion specifically about that one.
But the title is RIGHT THERE on the cover of the book. It can't get any less ambiguous than that.

zuma
Donator

Post by zuma » March 21st, 2020, 1:56 pm

mjf314 wrote:
March 15th, 2020, 1:26 pm
I edited the script again (the code is in my previous post), to vertically center each list name within the row.
Thanks

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » March 21st, 2020, 2:58 pm

WalterNeff wrote:
March 21st, 2020, 1:48 pm
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
But the title is RIGHT THERE on the cover of the book. It can't get any less ambiguous than that.
When I look at the cover, I see a book with the title "Book of Movies" and subtitle "The Essential 1,000 Films to See". I see the logo of The New York Times at the top, so that gives me the information this is a book made by or commissioned by the New York Times. I don't read that as part of the title at all. So to me the ideal title of the list would be "The New York Times's Book of Movies: The 1,000 Essential Films to See". This title is too long, so the subtitle has been removed.
ICM-profile

WalterNeff
Donator

Post by WalterNeff » March 21st, 2020, 4:29 pm

joachimt wrote:
March 21st, 2020, 2:58 pm
WalterNeff wrote:
March 21st, 2020, 1:48 pm
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
When I look at the cover, I see a book with the title "Book of Movies" and subtitle "The Essential 1,000 Films to See". I see the logo of The New York Times at the top, so that gives me the information this is a book made by or commissioned by the New York Times. I don't read that as part of the title at all. So to me the ideal title of the list would be "The New York Times's Book of Movies: The 1,000 Essential Films to See". This title is too long, so the subtitle has been removed.
I've been reading The New York Times for 55 years. I've never seen any of its associated publications listed that way.
Take for example the New York Times Book Review https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Y ... ook_Review
or The New York Times Magazine https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Y ... s_Magazine

The phrase "The New York Times" is part of the title, as a descriptive, not as a possessive. Like the King James Bible https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_James_Version

Sorry, but you are totally wrong on this one.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » March 21st, 2020, 5:30 pm

Google seems to prefer leaving out the 's.
"The New York Times Book of Movies" gets 14,400 results.
"The New York Times's Book of Movies" gets 2 results (both from iCM).

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » March 21st, 2020, 6:57 pm

ICM-profile

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » March 21st, 2020, 9:20 pm

The book itself:
So the ideal list title would be The New York Times's The New York Times Book of Movies: The Essential 1,000 Films to See.

erde

Post by erde » March 21st, 2020, 9:35 pm

tehe

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » March 21st, 2020, 9:35 pm

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
March 21st, 2020, 9:20 pm
So the ideal list title would be The New York Times's The New York Times Book of Movies: The Essential 1,000 Films to See.
I think Walter would be very pleased with this. :lol:
ICM-profile

WalterNeff
Donator

Post by WalterNeff » March 22nd, 2020, 2:34 am

joachimt wrote:
March 21st, 2020, 9:35 pm
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
March 21st, 2020, 9:20 pm
I think Walter would be very pleased with this. :lol:
You know what doesn't have any apostrophes? Pre-Code.