Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Favorite Movies (Results), 1945 (Results), 1929 awards (Apr 4th), South Asia (Apr 25th), Doubling the Canon (Ratings Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Nordic, 1950s
Film of the Week: The Music of Chance, May nominations (May 1st)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1F: Brazil vs Greece vs Japan vs Poland (Apr 5th), 1G: Germany vs Pakistan vs Ukraine vs USA (Apr 22nd)

Official lists updates

Post Reply
User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 30926
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Official lists updates

#2681

Post by joachimt » March 3rd, 2020, 7:38 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
March 3rd, 2020, 6:44 am
joachimt wrote:
March 2nd, 2020, 7:49 pm
Announcement:
Next Monday (March 9th) most official lists will get new names. The naming of lists have always been a bit messy, so we've decided to change most names so the naming is as consistent as possible. So next week you'll find the lists at another place in the alphabetical order. Also some links might be broken for a short while, because the urls will change. Redirects to the new urls will be made as soon as possible after the name change.
For the sake of those of us that maintain off-line stats based on the "Progress" page, would you please provide a spreadsheet (or equivalent) with the old names and new names?
Yes, I need to make a spreadsheet for Marijn anyway, so he can easily make the redirects. It will include old name, old url, new name, new url. I will post it here as well.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 7285
Joined: Jun 17, 2015
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#2682

Post by xianjiro » March 3rd, 2020, 8:57 am

joachimt wrote:
March 3rd, 2020, 7:38 am
maxwelldeux wrote:
March 3rd, 2020, 6:44 am
joachimt wrote:
March 2nd, 2020, 7:49 pm
Announcement:
Next Monday (March 9th) most official lists will get new names. The naming of lists have always been a bit messy, so we've decided to change most names so the naming is as consistent as possible. So next week you'll find the lists at another place in the alphabetical order. Also some links might be broken for a short while, because the urls will change. Redirects to the new urls will be made as soon as possible after the name change.
For the sake of those of us that maintain off-line stats based on the "Progress" page, would you please provide a spreadsheet (or equivalent) with the old names and new names?
Yes, I need to make a spreadsheet for Marijn anyway, so he can easily make the redirects. It will include old name, old url, new name, new url. I will post it here as well.
:clap: :worship: :cheers:

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here



User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 30926
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#2685

Post by joachimt » March 4th, 2020, 9:04 pm

both updated
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

dirty_score
Posts: 287
Joined: Oct 10, 2016
Contact:

#2686

Post by dirty_score » March 4th, 2020, 9:24 pm

have the users from reddit started to compile their top250 for this year's edition? last year's edition was updated around this time of the year. I can't see any thread about it.

User avatar
filmbantha
Posts: 276
Joined: Jul 10, 2013
Contact:

#2687

Post by filmbantha » March 5th, 2020, 7:42 am

Spotted this in my weekly letterboxd email update:

https://letterboxd.com/les_vampires/lis ... the-2010s/

It looks like the reddit top 250 isn't getting an update this year as the community put together the above list instead.

User avatar
erde
Posts: 189
Joined: Jan 02, 2019
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Contact:

#2688

Post by erde » March 5th, 2020, 8:40 am

Bummer.

Anyway, here is the ICM version of the new decade list by mi-16evil: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/redd ... mi-16evil/
Image

User avatar
dinah
Posts: 21
Joined: Mar 04, 2020
Contact:

#2689

Post by dinah » March 5th, 2020, 9:33 am

erde wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 8:40 am
Anyway, here is the ICM version of the new decade list by mi-16evil: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/redd ... mi-16evil/
Only 5 non-English language films (unless I miscounted), not the most varied of lists by far.

User avatar
Fergenaprido
Donator
Posts: 3667
Joined: Jun 03, 2014
Location: Malaysia
Contact:

#2690

Post by Fergenaprido » March 5th, 2020, 11:31 am

dinah wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 9:33 am
erde wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 8:40 am
Anyway, here is the ICM version of the new decade list by mi-16evil: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/redd ... mi-16evil/
Only 5 non-English language films (unless I miscounted), not the most varied of lists by far.
I only counted 4 (Parasite, Your Name, Handmaiden, and Portrait of a Lady on Fire). Not varied, but it's exactly the kind of list I'd expect from reddit... and I'm okay with that.

User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 3529
Joined: Dec 23, 2012
Contact:

#2691

Post by Onderhond » March 5th, 2020, 11:39 am

Fergenaprido wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 11:31 am
I only counted 4 (Parasite, Your Name, Handmaiden, and Portrait of a Lady on Fire). Not varied, but it's exactly the kind of list I'd expect from reddit... and I'm okay with that.
I think you missed Roma :)

User avatar
Fergenaprido
Donator
Posts: 3667
Joined: Jun 03, 2014
Location: Malaysia
Contact:

#2692

Post by Fergenaprido » March 5th, 2020, 12:59 pm

Onderhond wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 11:39 am
Fergenaprido wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 11:31 am
I only counted 4 (Parasite, Your Name, Handmaiden, and Portrait of a Lady on Fire). Not varied, but it's exactly the kind of list I'd expect from reddit... and I'm okay with that.
I think you missed Roma :)
Ah. there it is. Missed it on the LB list and the icm list :facepalm: Assumed that all the the foreign ones would have an easy-to-spot aka. Thanks :)

max-scl
Posts: 679
Joined: Jun 20, 2015
Location: Santiago, Chile
Contact:

#2693

Post by max-scl » March 5th, 2020, 8:06 pm

Just a collection of "Bro movies" as expected

User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 7285
Joined: Jun 17, 2015
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#2694

Post by xianjiro » March 5th, 2020, 8:26 pm

gee, has anyone mentioned "chick flicks" and "buddy movies" as genres around here?

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

User avatar
Teproc
Posts: 522
Joined: Sep 23, 2015
Contact:

#2695

Post by Teproc » March 5th, 2020, 8:32 pm

xianjiro wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 8:26 pm
gee, has anyone mentioned "chick flicks" and "buddy movies" as genres around here?
Chick flicks in particular would make for a good genre list.


User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 30926
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#2697

Post by joachimt » March 8th, 2020, 3:08 pm

Done. Thanks!
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
zuma
Donator
Posts: 2034
Joined: Jun 14, 2011
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Contact:

#2698

Post by zuma » March 9th, 2020, 11:15 pm

joachimt wrote:
March 2nd, 2020, 7:49 pm
Announcement:
Next Monday (March 9th) most official lists will get new names. The naming of lists have always been a bit messy, so we've decided to change most names so the naming is as consistent as possible. So next week you'll find the lists at another place in the alphabetical order. Also some links might be broken for a short while, because the urls will change. Redirects to the new urls will be made as soon as possible after the name change.
What happened to the update?

User avatar
PeacefulAnarchy
Moderator
Posts: 24169
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#2699

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » March 9th, 2020, 11:33 pm

zuma wrote:
March 9th, 2020, 11:15 pm
joachimt wrote:
March 2nd, 2020, 7:49 pm
Announcement:
Next Monday (March 9th) most official lists will get new names. The naming of lists have always been a bit messy, so we've decided to change most names so the naming is as consistent as possible. So next week you'll find the lists at another place in the alphabetical order. Also some links might be broken for a short while, because the urls will change. Redirects to the new urls will be made as soon as possible after the name change.
What happened to the update?
A lot of discussion still hashing out things to be consistent (hundreds of posts). It'll come but better to make sure it gets done right.

User avatar
zuma
Donator
Posts: 2034
Joined: Jun 14, 2011
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Contact:

#2700

Post by zuma » March 9th, 2020, 11:38 pm

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
March 9th, 2020, 11:33 pm
zuma wrote:
March 9th, 2020, 11:15 pm
joachimt wrote:
March 2nd, 2020, 7:49 pm
Announcement:
Next Monday (March 9th) most official lists will get new names. The naming of lists have always been a bit messy, so we've decided to change most names so the naming is as consistent as possible. So next week you'll find the lists at another place in the alphabetical order. Also some links might be broken for a short while, because the urls will change. Redirects to the new urls will be made as soon as possible after the name change.
What happened to the update?
A lot of discussion still hashing out things to be consistent (hundreds of posts). It'll come but better to make sure it gets done right.
Makes sense. Are the new lists at the same time, or is that coming later?

User avatar
PeacefulAnarchy
Moderator
Posts: 24169
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#2701

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » March 9th, 2020, 11:42 pm

Probably a bit later. I'm a bit behind on the discussions still, but the two things are not related.

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 30926
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#2702

Post by joachimt » March 10th, 2020, 5:46 am

I expect to start renaming today or tomorrow. Yesterday we were discussing the last apostrophes.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
Fergenaprido
Donator
Posts: 3667
Joined: Jun 03, 2014
Location: Malaysia
Contact:

#2703

Post by Fergenaprido » March 10th, 2020, 7:15 am

joachimt wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 5:46 am
I expect to start renaming today or tomorrow. Yesterday we were discussing the last apostrophes.
:lol: :hug:

User avatar
Mothravka
Posts: 154
Joined: Jan 18, 2016
Location: Европа
Contact:

#2704

Post by Mothravka » March 10th, 2020, 9:02 am

Did something haopen with the Golden Foundation of Czech and Slovak Cinema? I just gained a bronze some days ago and lost it yesterday for some reason, but it says that the list had the latest update in 2012.

User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 7285
Joined: Jun 17, 2015
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#2705

Post by xianjiro » March 10th, 2020, 9:15 am

Mothravka wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 9:02 am
Did something haopen with the Golden Foundation of Czech and Slovak Cinema? I just gained a bronze some days ago and lost it yesterday for some reason, but it says that the list had the latest update in 2012.
I have only one guess: you're sitting at 50% and I know there are other lists which for some reason need 50% + 1 to trigger a bronze. Can't remember for certain which list it was but I know it was an Italian list and it happened before the replacement of the older list. But I've never seen anyone say they lost an award - just not received it when expected and I understand this to be a coding quirk.

Is there any chance you unchecked a movie on the list, noticed the error and checked it again? Not that I suggest this is an issue on the site. And you're right, the list hasn't been updated for a very long time, so I doubt that explains it (unless some sort of minor update happened which doesn't change the date at the bottom of the page).

But that's a puzzler - will be interesting if anyone else has any ideas. Sorry for the lost award! Might be time to watch some more Czech or Slovak movies to pad that award a bit. :)

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

User avatar
Mothravka
Posts: 154
Joined: Jan 18, 2016
Location: Европа
Contact:

#2706

Post by Mothravka » March 10th, 2020, 9:32 am

xianjiro wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 9:15 am
I have only one guess: you're sitting at 50% and I know there are other lists which for some reason need 50% + 1 to trigger a bronze. Can't remember for certain which list it was but I know it was an Italian list and it happened before the replacement of the older list. But I've never seen anyone say they lost an award - just not received it when expected and I understand this to be a coding quirk.

Is there any chance you unchecked a movie on the list, noticed the error and checked it again? Not that I suggest this is an issue on the site. And you're right, the list hasn't been updated for a very long time, so I doubt that explains it (unless some sort of minor update happened which doesn't change the date at the bottom of the page).

But that's a puzzler - will be interesting if anyone else has any ideas. Sorry for the lost award! Might be time to watch some more Czech or Slovak movies to pad that award a bit. :)
I looked through it and didn't uncheck any film by mistake. I saw a film some days ago and got a bronze (March 09) as I reached 56/112 and lost it March 09. So maybe your guess in the beginning is right! I just was curious if something happened with the list.

User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 7285
Joined: Jun 17, 2015
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#2707

Post by xianjiro » March 10th, 2020, 9:39 am

Mothravka wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 9:32 am
xianjiro wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 9:15 am
I have only one guess: you're sitting at 50% and I know there are other lists which for some reason need 50% + 1 to trigger a bronze. Can't remember for certain which list it was but I know it was an Italian list and it happened before the replacement of the older list. But I've never seen anyone say they lost an award - just not received it when expected and I understand this to be a coding quirk.

Is there any chance you unchecked a movie on the list, noticed the error and checked it again? Not that I suggest this is an issue on the site. And you're right, the list hasn't been updated for a very long time, so I doubt that explains it (unless some sort of minor update happened which doesn't change the date at the bottom of the page).

But that's a puzzler - will be interesting if anyone else has any ideas. Sorry for the lost award! Might be time to watch some more Czech or Slovak movies to pad that award a bit. :)
I looked through it and didn't uncheck any film by mistake. I saw a film some days ago and got a bronze (March 09) as I reached 56/112 and lost it March 09. So maybe your guess in the beginning is right! I just was curious if something happened with the list.
We can wish, but I didn't get the Italian bronze only to lose it three days later: I waited some time (at least a week) but never got the bronze until I saw another film. I do believe that was before instant awards were programmed though. But again, that shouldn't result in an award being granted and then taken away. That's horrible! (D:)

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 30926
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#2708

Post by joachimt » March 10th, 2020, 8:31 pm

joachimt wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 5:46 am
I expect to start renaming today or tomorrow.
Tomorrow
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
72aicm
Donator
Posts: 3157
Joined: Nov 13, 2016
Contact:

#2709

Post by 72aicm » March 10th, 2020, 8:35 pm

xianjiro wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 9:15 am
Mothravka wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 9:02 am
Did something haopen with the Golden Foundation of Czech and Slovak Cinema? I just gained a bronze some days ago and lost it yesterday for some reason, but it says that the list had the latest update in 2012.
I have only one guess: you're sitting at 50% and I know there are other lists which for some reason need 50% + 1 to trigger a bronze.
Can confirm that I had the same problem with the same list a while ago. You need 50% +1 to get your bronze back.

dirty_score
Posts: 287
Joined: Oct 10, 2016
Contact:

#2710

Post by dirty_score » March 10th, 2020, 11:59 pm

Timeout Paris updated their 100 Best French Films last January

source is different though: https://www.timeout.com/paris/en/film/b ... nch-movies

mjf314
Moderator
Posts: 11044
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#2711

Post by mjf314 » March 11th, 2020, 12:48 am

dirty_score wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 11:59 pm
Timeout Paris updated their 100 Best French Films last January

source is different though: https://www.timeout.com/paris/en/film/b ... nch-movies
This new list doesn't seem to be a poll, and the new list isn't on the same page as the old list (as Time Out normally does when they update a list), so I don't think it should replace the official list, but it would be good if someone could add it to iCM.

mjf314
Moderator
Posts: 11044
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#2712

Post by mjf314 » March 11th, 2020, 1:12 am

It's annoying that Time Out just replaces the article like that, without running a new poll. Why not leave the article alone and run a new poll? Now all we have is a slightly-fudged poll. But since they edited the original article, I guess we have to update it? Or should it be reverted to the old version?

They also updated some other lists, but they aren't official.

User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 7285
Joined: Jun 17, 2015
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#2713

Post by xianjiro » March 11th, 2020, 1:31 am

because the world is obsessed with new new new - why do you think most websites get a redesign every 6-12 months and things constantly move around in the grocery store?

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

mjf314
Moderator
Posts: 11044
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#2714

Post by mjf314 » March 11th, 2020, 1:48 am

xianjiro wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 1:31 am
because the world is obsessed with new new new - why do you think most websites get a redesign every 6-12 months and things constantly move around in the grocery store?
I like new lists too, I just wish they would do it properly with a new poll.

User avatar
WalterNeff
Donator
Posts: 3134
Joined: Jul 27, 2011
Contact:

#2715

Post by WalterNeff » March 11th, 2020, 1:49 am

joachimt wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 5:46 am
I expect to start renaming today or tomorrow. Yesterday we were discussing the last apostrophes.
We have reached peak iCM.

User avatar
PeacefulAnarchy
Moderator
Posts: 24169
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#2716

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » March 11th, 2020, 2:15 am

Not yet. Wait until the list names change and people complain about those apostrophes.

User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 7285
Joined: Jun 17, 2015
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#2717

Post by xianjiro » March 11th, 2020, 4:59 am

Way Off Topic Alert for the Anal Retentive User: I (l) the '

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 3529
Joined: Dec 23, 2012
Contact:

#2718

Post by Onderhond » March 11th, 2020, 6:37 am

xianjiro wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 1:31 am
why do you think most websites get a redesign every 6-12 months
That is not a thing.

User avatar
Fergenaprido
Donator
Posts: 3667
Joined: Jun 03, 2014
Location: Malaysia
Contact:

#2719

Post by Fergenaprido » March 11th, 2020, 7:08 am

mjf314 wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 1:12 am
It's annoying that Time Out just replaces the article like that, without running a new poll. Why not leave the article alone and run a new poll? Now all we have is a slightly-fudged poll. But since they edited the original article, I guess we have to update it? Or should it be reverted to the old version?

They also updated some other lists, but they aren't official.
I didn't realize the original list was a poll; I thought it was simply a curated list from the staff.

mjf314
Moderator
Posts: 11044
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#2720

Post by mjf314 » March 11th, 2020, 12:59 pm

Fergenaprido wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 7:08 am
mjf314 wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 1:12 am
It's annoying that Time Out just replaces the article like that, without running a new poll. Why not leave the article alone and run a new poll? Now all we have is a slightly-fudged poll. But since they edited the original article, I guess we have to update it? Or should it be reverted to the old version?

They also updated some other lists, but they aren't official.
I didn't realize the original list was a poll; I thought it was simply a curated list from the staff.
It was a poll in the sense that they asked a lot of people to submit ballots, and then published those ballots along with the top 100.

However, Time Out has a habit of publishing lists that don't precisely match the poll results. So the list was already fudged, but now it's even more fudged.

Post Reply