Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 1930s (Results), 1972 (Jun 18th), 1954 awards (Jun 22nd), 2010s (Jun 28th)
Challenges: 1950s, Eastern Europe, Banned Films
Film of the Week: Hands on a Hardbody: The Documentary, July nominations (Jun 28th)

Official lists updates

PeacefulAnarchy

Re: Official lists updates

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » February 1st, 2019, 6:08 pm

There was a reason, but I can't recall what it was, I'm sure it's written in a post from back when it was adopted.

Edit: I think the reason is that it's not actually an omnibus film, it's 5 individual short films all made at separate times by separate directors, made for the same studio. The DVD in that imdb link is a compilation of shorts. Generally for such entries we put in the individual films, the only exception I can think of is Beastie Boys anthology, and that's because the individual films mostly don't have imdb entries.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » February 1st, 2019, 7:24 pm

dirty_score wrote:
February 1st, 2019, 3:42 pm
In the same vein as "My Girl/My Girl 2" mistake, can anyone confirm if it's actually the 2nd Fast & Furious movie in the list and not the first?
I'm pretty sure it's the correct one. Index says:

2 Fast, 2 Furious - 32,152
(2003, US/Ger, 108 min) d John Singleton. cast Paul Walker, Tyrese, Eva Mendes, Cole Hauser.

Page 32 has this description:
"Anger has to be, today, the most common emotion that any regular film-goer is likely to feel. One stumbles out of Charlies Angels Full Throttle or 2 Fast, 2 Furious in a state of incensed discombobulation. The money assembled to make these militantly brainless blockbusters would feed villages in developing countries for decades; their promotional budgets alone are the size of some countries' entire movie industries. And to think of all the technical and creative talent that has been squandered - well it's enough to make you want to hit someone: the director, maybe; perhaps the actors. Someone, surely, should suffer for the nausea and rage you feel."

Page 152 has this to say:
"In the film critic's array of enthusiastic adjectives, there's a small but dependable stable of cheerleaders for feather-brained action pulp. Alongside interchangeable terms such as 'taut', 'gripping' and 'thrill-a-minute', 'exhilarating' soldiers on through poster quote after poster quote, conscripted to sell The Matrix Reloaded pr 2 Fast, 2 Furious or whatever moster-truck-rally-cum-Playstation-sequel happens to slam into the multiplex that week. An exhilarating roller-coaster ride of a white-knuckle epic. The edge of your seat will be exhilarated."
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » February 1st, 2019, 7:38 pm

Knaldskalle wrote:
February 1st, 2019, 7:24 pm
dirty_score wrote:
In the same vein as "My Girl/My Girl 2" mistake, can anyone confirm if it's actually the 2nd Fast & Furious movie in the list and not the first?

(2003, US/Ger, 108 min) d John Singleton. cast Paul Walker, Tyrese, Eva Mendes, Cole Hauser.

"Anger has to be, today, the most common emotion that any regular film-goer is likely to feel. One stumbles out of Charlies Angels Full Throttle or 2 Fast, 2 Furious in a state of incensed discombobulation. The money assembled to make these militantly brainless blockbusters would feed villages in developing countries for decades; their promotional budgets alone are the size of some countries' entire movie industries. And to think of all the technical and creative talent that has been squandered - well it's enough to make you want to hit someone: the director, maybe; perhaps the actors. Someone, surely, should suffer for the nausea and rage you feel."

"In the film critic's array of enthusiastic adjectives, there's a small but dependable stable of cheerleaders for feather-brained action pulp. Alongside interchangeable terms such as 'taut', 'gripping' and 'thrill-a-minute', 'exhilarating' soldiers on through poster quote after poster quote, conscripted to sell The Matrix Reloaded pr 2 Fast, 2 Furious or whatever moster-truck-rally-cum-Playstation-sequel happens to slam into the multiplex that week. An exhilarating roller-coaster ride of a white-knuckle epic. The edge of your seat will be exhilarated."
Neither of those sounds like it's in one of the featured lists, though.

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » February 1st, 2019, 8:18 pm

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
February 1st, 2019, 7:38 pm
Knaldskalle wrote:
dirty_score wrote:

I went through the book a couple years ago. It's much more complicated than just listing the films that appear in the "lists." If just those films were included, the most that would be on the list is 200 films. (10 categories with 20 films each). This wouldn't take duplicates into consideration (and I don't know if there are any). There's films that are discussed as well preceding the "lists" and that's where the rest of the 1000 films come from. A handful were removed when I went through it, as they were only part of filmographies of various people they interviewed.

EDIT: Here's where that discussion started.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » February 1st, 2019, 9:06 pm

I should probably just get the book to see how it's laid out before having more of an opinion. Those two mentions seem very in passing to me.

dirty_score

Post by dirty_score » February 1st, 2019, 9:11 pm

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
February 1st, 2019, 6:08 pm
There was a reason, but I can't recall what it was, I'm sure it's written in a post from back when it was adopted.

Edit: I think the reason is that it's not actually an omnibus film, it's 5 individual short films all made at separate times by separate directors, made for the same studio. The DVD in that imdb link is a compilation of shorts. Generally for such entries we put in the individual films, the only exception I can think of is Beastie Boys anthology, and that's because the individual films mostly don't have imdb entries.
It actually says it is the compilation of those shorts:
"DEEP IMAGINATION" is the omnibus animation film of SWEAT PUNCH SERIES, and includes five short stories entitled "DAN PETRY'S BLUE", "END OF THE WORLD", "COMEDY", "HIGAN", and "JUNK TOWN", which are directed by distinct and talented creators."
Full Cast & Crew
Directed by
Nobutaka Ito ... (segment "Junk Town") https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/garakuta+no+machi/
Osamu Kobayashi ... (segment "End of the World") https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/end ... orld-2002/
Yasushi Muraki ... (segment "Beyond") https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/higan/
Kazuto Nakazawa ... (segment "Comedy") https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/kigeki/
Hidekazu Ohara ... (segment "Professor Dan Petory's Blues") https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/dan ... no+yuutsu/
You rather have them separated or have the Dog Star Man treament?

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » February 1st, 2019, 9:21 pm

Dog Star Man is a single film released in sections. My understanding is that these were not made as part of the same film, so each director made their short independently. That entry is a DVD compilation, not an anthology film.

The entry from the list:
Sweat Punch is a curious beast that’s a bit hard to track down, but worth the effort. Comprising five animated shorts originally released as a part of Grasshoppa! DVD magazine issues, they were then collected into one release titled Deep Imagination. Deep, indeed, would be one way to describe these shorts, which range across the map both in style and subject matter. The first, “Professor Dan Petory’s Blues,” doesn’t really try to make sense, and is content to simply throw all kinds of wild animation techniques in a blender with some songs and jokes, to kaleidoscopic effect. It only gets weirder from there. “The End of The World” is another standout, concerning the life of a young alien girl named Yuko, who meets a friend at a rock concert, then proceed to go back to her home planet and battle with S&M monsters (no, really). A third, confusingly entitled “Comedy” by Studio 4C, is a dark, gothic tale verging on horror that concerns a young girl, a master swordsman, and the Irish War of Independence. Most of these shorts break not only from traditional narrative, but also from traditional anime art style and animation techniques. These are animation in its purest form, the directors and animators involved clearly just enjoying the riot of color and movement they present to the viewer. It’s pointless to try to explain more, really. Sweat Punch must be seen to be believed, and “understanding” it might be beside the point. —J.D.
That reads to me like they're all separate short films and they're using the fact that they were released together as a cheat to only be one entry, like some lists make Apu Trilogy one entry.

I've not seen any of these, so I don't know any more about them than that description and the imdb entries.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » February 1st, 2019, 9:24 pm

albajos wrote:
February 1st, 2019, 9:10 pm
There are excerpts on the amazon page
https://www.amazon.co.uk/1000-Films-Cha ... 904978738/
Yeah I've looked at those plenty, but they are apparently not fully reflective of the whole book. At least, the way I imagine the book based on the amazon excerpts doesn't match my impression of how people who actually have the book describe it.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » February 1st, 2019, 9:47 pm

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
February 1st, 2019, 9:24 pm
albajos wrote:
February 1st, 2019, 9:10 pm
There are excerpts on the amazon page
https://www.amazon.co.uk/1000-Films-Cha ... 904978738/
Yeah I've looked at those plenty, but they are apparently not fully reflective of the whole book. At least, the way I imagine the book based on the amazon excerpts doesn't match my impression of how people who actually have the book describe it.
Yeah, I borrowed it from the library the other day, and it's weird. A lot of the films have only a passing reference, but they're all on the list. From what I saw of the book, the description of 2Fast 2Furious sounds like exactly what I'd expect.

max-scl

Post by max-scl » February 3rd, 2019, 4:29 am

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » February 3rd, 2019, 4:36 am

max-scl wrote:
February 3rd, 2019, 4:29 am
new goya winner

https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/campeones-2018/
Updated

max-scl

Post by max-scl » February 3rd, 2019, 1:54 pm

Thanks,

The new Sundance winner: https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/clemency/

max-scl

Post by max-scl » February 3rd, 2019, 2:51 pm

And the Magritte winner (should go in the belgian awards list right?) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7773210/

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » February 3rd, 2019, 4:58 pm

max-scl wrote:
February 3rd, 2019, 1:54 pm
Thanks,

The new Sundance winner: https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/clemency/
This can't be added yet.

Added the Belgian film

monclivie

Post by monclivie » February 3rd, 2019, 9:58 pm

Nathan Treadway wrote:
February 1st, 2019, 8:18 pm
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
February 1st, 2019, 7:38 pm
Knaldskalle wrote:

I went through the book a couple years ago. It's much more complicated than just listing the films that appear in the "lists." If just those films were included, the most that would be on the list is 200 films. (10 categories with 20 films each). This wouldn't take duplicates into consideration (and I don't know if there are any). There's films that are discussed as well preceding the "lists" and that's where the rest of the 1000 films come from. A handful were removed when I went through it, as they were only part of filmographies of various people they interviewed.

EDIT: Here's where that discussion started.
Jesus, so I'm watching these movies in hope they will change my life, and they're included just beacuse someone mentioned them as one of five shitty movies introducing a good one? :wacko:

albajos

Post by albajos » February 3rd, 2019, 10:19 pm

Nobody said it would change your life for the better. Just that it would change.

albajos

Post by albajos » February 10th, 2019, 9:56 pm

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/bafta+-+best+film/
Roma
http://www.bafta.org/media-centre/press ... wards-2019

Alfonso Cuarón won 4 awards himself. As he is producer, director and cinematographer :)

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » February 10th, 2019, 10:24 pm

albajos wrote:
February 10th, 2019, 9:56 pm
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/bafta+-+best+film/
Roma
http://www.bafta.org/media-centre/press ... wards-2019

Alfonso Cuarón won 4 awards himself. As he is producer, director and cinematographer :)
Thanks

albajos

Post by albajos » February 11th, 2019, 3:14 pm

https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/un+ ... +el+mundo/
This shouldn't be a foreign language check. It was pulled off the ballot after the academy found out it had broken the nationality rules. (They nominated it from a country that had almost nothing to do with the movie)

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » February 11th, 2019, 3:39 pm

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
February 1st, 2019, 9:21 pm
Dog Star Man is a single film released in sections. My understanding is that these were not made as part of the same film, so each director made their short independently. That entry is a DVD compilation, not an anthology film.

The entry from the list:
Sweat Punch is a curious beast that’s a bit hard to track down, but worth the effort. Comprising five animated shorts originally released as a part of Grasshoppa! DVD magazine issues, they were then collected into one release titled Deep Imagination. Deep, indeed, would be one way to describe these shorts, which range across the map both in style and subject matter. The first, “Professor Dan Petory’s Blues,” doesn’t really try to make sense, and is content to simply throw all kinds of wild animation techniques in a blender with some songs and jokes, to kaleidoscopic effect. It only gets weirder from there. “The End of The World” is another standout, concerning the life of a young alien girl named Yuko, who meets a friend at a rock concert, then proceed to go back to her home planet and battle with S&M monsters (no, really). A third, confusingly entitled “Comedy” by Studio 4C, is a dark, gothic tale verging on horror that concerns a young girl, a master swordsman, and the Irish War of Independence. Most of these shorts break not only from traditional narrative, but also from traditional anime art style and animation techniques. These are animation in its purest form, the directors and animators involved clearly just enjoying the riot of color and movement they present to the viewer. It’s pointless to try to explain more, really. Sweat Punch must be seen to be believed, and “understanding” it might be beside the point. —J.D.
That reads to me like they're all separate short films and they're using the fact that they were released together as a cheat to only be one entry, like some lists make Apu Trilogy one entry.

I've not seen any of these, so I don't know any more about them than that description and the imdb entries.
Studio 4°C is a bit of a weird studio too, but I think it comes down to semantics in this case. Whether these shorts were created for anthology or later merged to become an anthology is just a matter of practicalities. It probably wouldn't have mattered much to the end result. I've watched most of their anthology projects and they rarely correspond to a common theme. It's mostly just directors getting carte blanche to make whatever craziness springs from their mind.

Memories, Short Piece and both Genius Party anthologies are great examples of their typical modus operandi. In this case, I find it more confusing to see 104 entries in a Top 100. This project is also commonly distributed as Sweat Punch, so it wasn't until I watched the 5 non-checks that I realized I had actually seen these shorts before.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » February 11th, 2019, 5:17 pm

albajos wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 3:14 pm
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/un+ ... +el+mundo/
This shouldn't be a foreign language check. It was pulled off the ballot after the academy found out it had broken the nationality rules. (They nominated it from a country that had almost nothing to do with the movie)
I'll send DreCosby a PM to remove it.

max-scl

Post by max-scl » February 11th, 2019, 8:05 pm

But it was nominated at some point (unlike the first winners that were never nominated and are still on the list)

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » February 11th, 2019, 9:06 pm

max-scl wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 8:05 pm
But it was nominated at some point (unlike the first winners that were never nominated and are still on the list)
According to the Academy it was illegitimately nominated since it broke the rules, so they don't count it. They view it as a mistake, not a sanction.

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » February 12th, 2019, 4:34 am

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 9:06 pm
max-scl wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 8:05 pm
According to the Academy it was illegitimately nominated since it broke the rules, so they don't count it. They view it as a mistake, not a sanction.
Perhaps the Honorary winners should only be on the winners list then, and not the nominees list?

rnilsson19

Post by rnilsson19 » February 15th, 2019, 9:42 pm

New criterion titles:

The Heiress
Let the Sunshine In
One Sings, the Other Doesn't
Funny Games (1997)
Blue Velvet

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » February 15th, 2019, 9:58 pm

rnilsson19 wrote:
February 15th, 2019, 9:42 pm
New criterion titles:

The Heiress
Let the Sunshine In
One Sings, the Other Doesn't
Funny Games (1997)
Blue Velvet
Done

max-scl

Post by max-scl » February 16th, 2019, 7:26 pm

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » February 16th, 2019, 7:29 pm

max-scl wrote:
February 16th, 2019, 7:26 pm
New Berlin Golden Bear

https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/synonymes/
Done

mathiasa

Post by mathiasa » February 20th, 2019, 3:17 am

Do we already have thread/topic/post that collects ex-official lists?

ChrisReynolds
Donator

Post by ChrisReynolds » February 20th, 2019, 3:43 pm

mathiasa wrote:
February 20th, 2019, 3:17 am
Do we already have thread/topic/post that collects ex-official lists?
There's the iCM Orphans Home. I suppose ex-official lists could go there as well as ex-official films.

tourdesb

Post by tourdesb » February 22nd, 2019, 11:12 pm

"Jusqu'à la garde" just won the Cesar Award for Best Film.
Image Image Image

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » February 22nd, 2019, 11:17 pm

tourdesb wrote:
February 22nd, 2019, 11:12 pm
"Jusqu'à la garde" just won the Cesar Award for Best Film.
updated

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » March 3rd, 2019, 1:07 am

It appears The Mercy of the Jungle won at FESPACO.

https://www.france24.com/fr/video/20190 ... the-jungle

FESPACO's site is a pain for me to navigate through, and the source link is broken, too.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » March 3rd, 2019, 1:16 am

Nathan Treadway wrote:
March 3rd, 2019, 1:07 am
It appears The Mercy of the Jungle won at FESPACO.

https://www.france24.com/fr/video/20190 ... the-jungle

FESPACO's site is a pain for me to navigate through, and the source link is broken, too.
Added. The FESPACO site is, and always has been, garbage. Here's the link to the source: https://fespaco.bf/palmares-officiel-2019/
Edit: Oh I see, the ICM source link is to the English site. The base site is in French, and that at least works.

Edit2: The film is in French, why is its official title in English?

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » March 3rd, 2019, 4:36 pm

dirty_score wrote:
March 3rd, 2019, 4:22 pm
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/holiday-2018/ won the Bodil Award
Done

frbrown

Post by frbrown » March 3rd, 2019, 5:25 pm

Bill has resumed updating the noir list

http://www.theyshootpictures.com/noir1000updates.htm

WalterNeff
Donator

Post by WalterNeff » March 3rd, 2019, 8:54 pm

frbrown wrote:
March 3rd, 2019, 5:25 pm
Bill has resumed updating the noir list

http://www.theyshootpictures.com/noir1000updates.htm
Updated.

ChrisReynolds
Donator

Post by ChrisReynolds » March 3rd, 2019, 11:16 pm

New FESPACO award winner:

htt
ps://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/rafiki/

Edit: Wrong film
Last edited by ChrisReynolds on March 3rd, 2019, 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.