Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 36 released September 16th: The Minimalist World of Robert Bresson)
Polls: 2020 (Results), 21st Century (Results), 500<400 (Sept 24th), 1967 (Sept 29th)
Challenges: Eastern Europe, Silent Era, Low Rating
Managers Cup: Round 1 Schedule, 1B: russa03 vs zzzorf vs OldAle1 (Sep 26th)

Official lists updates

pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

The list presented here: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/time ... ever+made/

isn't consistent with the list in the source provided: https://www.timeout.com/film/the-101-be ... -ever-made

However after a quick check, It seems to be the exact same 101 movies but in a slightly different order.
"Art is like a fire, it is born from the very thing it burns" - Jean-Luc Godard
PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

pitchorneirda wrote: July 26th, 2021, 12:53 pm The list presented here: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/time ... ever+made/

isn't consistent with the list in the source provided: https://www.timeout.com/film/the-101-be ... -ever-made

However after a quick check, It seems to be the exact same 101 movies but in a slightly different order.
Timeout messed up the order when converting the list from pagination by 100-91, 90-81 etc, to a single list. The top 10 groups are each in reverse order.
Example in the text

10. Die Hard (1988)
So here it is. The No. 1 spot, the top of the skyscraper.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Torgo wrote: July 26th, 2021, 11:42 am BFI's 100 American Independent Films & BFI's 100 European Horror Films: both categorized under "Institute"
5x AFI Top 100 lists and BFI Top 100 British Films: all filed under "Country"
:think:

You could argue that BFI's Americindies are more about the Independent film as a genre and less about the country .. maybe. And maybe the mods feel that the AFI (or those lists) aren't that Institute-worthy, while all from the BFI are. Hm.
Good that we can settle at least two of those cases when the genre tab soon will be realized :innocent:
I believe it's more about the subject matter of the lists than the sources. "Institute" is a terrible tab name as it is, IMO, and will likely be deprecated. But the AFI lists are exclusively for American films, and the BFI Top 100 British Films are exclusively for British films, so they both make sense in the Country tab, while the Independent and Horror lists from BFI are more about the genre than the country/ies. But yes, a "Genre" tab would remedy that. All in due time.
🧚‍♂️🦫
zuma
Donator

Post by zuma »

Institute tab is my favourite tab. :'(

If it changes I will have to click around to find what I want. So many seconds wasted.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

I've never used the tabs once. I just scroll down to the list I'm trying to find.
🏳️‍⚧️
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

kongs_speech wrote: July 26th, 2021, 11:37 pm I've never used the tabs once. I just scroll down to the list I'm trying to find.
Ctrl-F for me. Never use the tabs as well.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/chinese+doctors/

This movie had to be imported to be added to the BO List. This list is getting more and more "obscure".
ICM-profile
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

joachimt wrote: July 27th, 2021, 5:09 pm https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/chinese+doctors/

This movie had to be imported to be added to the BO List. This list is getting more and more "obscure".
Yeah, who knows Andrew Lau, right?
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

It just shows how the now-massive Chinese box office has no dependence whatsoever on anyone from outside the country - and it can have films hit the list after just a week or two of release, just like America. Well, more than America the past couple of years - and probably in the future even if we manage to leave the pandemic behind.

In a way it's kind of reminiscent of all the Indian films that pop into the IMDb top 250, without anybody outside of India at all having any awareness of them. Kind of refreshing to me actually, even if I'm not terribly interested in either the current-day Bollywood or Chinese blockbusters - though I should watch at least a few more of each before getting too down on them.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

For reference, Andrew Lau is the guy who directed Infernal Affairs. His Young and Dangerous series is also extremely iconic, but not so much to the Western world. Historically though, a pivotal series for an industry that was down on its knees.

That said, the quality of his output took a serious dive after he switched Hong Kong for China.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Onderhond wrote: July 27th, 2021, 5:49 pm For reference, Andrew Lau is the guy who directed Infernal Affairs. His Young and Dangerous series is also extremely iconic, but not so much to the Western world. Historically though, a pivotal series for an industry that was down on its knees.

That said, the quality of his output took a serious dive after he switched Hong Kong for China.
Yeah, this newest film looks terrible, tbh. Infernal Affairs is great.

Also, he's not be confused with Andy Lau, the Hong Kong actor who's a year younger than Andrew. And who turns 60 in two months and is still smokin' hot. :drool:
🧚‍♂️🦫
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

Onderhond wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 5:38 am
PeacefulAnarchy wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 1:07 am
erde wrote: July 21st, 2021, 4:53 pm I remember that there was also talk about ICM genre and decade lists (most favorite) some time ago - could those replace the IMDb lists? It sounds like an interesting idea to me.
It's an idea that hangs around, and I don't think anyone particularly opposes it, but there's not much impetus to make it happen.
I oppose it (and did so before I think). There's already too much navel gazing going on.
:whistling:

ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.
Harco
Donator

Post by Harco »

joachimt wrote: July 27th, 2021, 5:09 pm https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/chinese+doctors/

Looking forward to it, even though The Captain wasn't very good.

For those keeping tabs: Jackass 3D lost its official status. The next update will see Space Jam: A New Legacy enter the list, with Blood Diamond dropping off and losing its official status.
:ICM: | :letbxd:
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Harco wrote: July 31st, 2021, 8:23 pm Jackass 3D lost its official status.
(D:) OMG, one of the single greatest motion pictures of all time losing official status!?! Say it isn't so! Oh, the horror, the pain, the shear grief. It's too much for me to stand.

:facepalm: (u) :satstunned:
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Press F for the poor fellows who watched every of those garbage films only for the Box Office gold / platinum :ph43r:
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

xianjiro wrote: August 1st, 2021, 3:57 am [...] the shear grief.
Save that for the day that Shaun the Sheep becomes unofficial. :P
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
More memorable quotes
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Lammetje wrote: August 6th, 2021, 9:54 pm
xianjiro wrote: August 1st, 2021, 3:57 am [...] the shear grief.
Save that for the day that Shaun the Sheep becomes unofficial. :P
:lol:

Small typo :p
🧚‍♂️🦫
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

The Eureka MoC list misses last few months additions:
Johnny Guitar (1954)
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (dir. Stuart Paton, 1916)
The Calgary Stampede (dir. Herbert Blaché, 1925)
What Happened to Jones? (dir. William A. Seiter, 1926)

https://eurekavideo.co.uk/news/
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: August 6th, 2021, 10:35 pm The Eureka MoC list misses last few months additions:
Johnny Guitar (1954)
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (dir. Stuart Paton, 1916)
The Calgary Stampede (dir. Herbert Blaché, 1925)
What Happened to Jones? (dir. William A. Seiter, 1926)

https://eurekavideo.co.uk/news/
Updated, thanks.

The last two are new official checks.
🧚‍♂️🦫
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Golden Leopard winner: https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/sep ... ar+tuntas/

I added it to ICM.
🏳️‍⚧️
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

kongs_speech wrote: August 14th, 2021, 2:06 pm Golden Leopard winner: https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/sep ... ar+tuntas/

I added it to ICM.
Updated. Thanks.
🧚‍♂️🦫
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Fergenaprido wrote: April 27th, 2021, 5:57 am In other Top 250 news...
... The Father debuted at #150 two weeks ago and is slowly climbing. It's the only 2020 BP Oscar nom in the list... I wonder where it will end up.
... Tarkovsky's Offret failed to make the cut after crossing the threshold, and now Nostalgia is 1000 votes away as well. Both are rated 8.1, so I suspect Nostalgia will also miss the list.
... Ratsasan is also falling quickly, and will be out in a week or two at the most.
... Soul should follow it out of the list within a month or two I think, though it's decline has slowed down. Not sure if it's Oscar wins will help it or hinder it (Trivia: all four of Pete Docter's films are currently in the Top 250).
... Anand is still dropping: it debuted at #60 almost a year ago, but will probably be out by the end of 2021. Rang De Basanti will probably exit by then too.
... Of the other "recent" entries, Portrait of a Lady on Fire is desperately trying to stall falling off the list, but it may not make it past the summer; Rififi is right behind (ahead?) of it, though may have some staying power since it used to be in the list years ago; Time of the Gypsies probably won't last either, but it may be too soon to tell; To Be or Not to Be and Höstsonaten both appear to have stabilized somewhat, especially the former, so they're probably around for the long haul (or at least another year or two).
... Indian crime drama Article 15 might enter the list in a month or two; it's at 8.2 with 24,486 votes. If it does enter, I predict it won't last for long.
... Z will almost certainly be the next film to enter the list (barring a new release being a smash hit); an 8.3 rating with 24,326 votes, it'll probably re-enter the list somewhere around #150, like what The Father did with it's similar rating. It was in the list briefly a few times in 2006-2007.
... After that, Pather Panchali and Dersu Uzala are both within 850 votes of the threshold, which they should hit some time in mid-autumn I believe. Both should enter the list fairly high, if they maintain their current 8.6 and 8.3 ratings, respectively. Pather has (surprisingly) never been in the list, and Dersu was in for 2 days in 2005.
... And lastly, Drishyam 2 (sequel to the original Malayalam film) is rapidly approaching the threshold, with an 8.7 rating from 22,929 votes right now. If it makes the list, and the original Malayalam film and Hindi remake both hang on to their spots in the 240-250 range, then we'll have 3 Drishyams in the list soon.

So for those concerned about achieving/maintaining their plats for this list, those are my recommendations on what to focus on/avoid. Everything else approaching the threshold is either not rated highly enough, or is too slow/far away that it won't cross it for another year or more. And nothing else currently on the list is steadily dropping, aside from the same 3-7 films that keep rotating in and out of the list.
Z, Dersu Uzala, and Nostalgia all passed the 25,000 vote threshold in the past few weeks (the latter two just today), and I'm rather surprised that none of them entered the Top 250 list.

Of the other films I mentioned above...
The Father is still there and settled around #110 for now.
Ratsasan fell out as predicted, but then came back after imdb made another change in their algorithm. It's now poised to fall out again, but may be one of those that keep popping in and out.
Soul has departed from the list, seemingly permanently.
Anand and Rang De Basanti exited sooner than expected, because of that earlier change.
Portrait and Gypsies are gone, Rififi is holding on, and To Be or Not to Be and Höstsonaten both appear safe around the #200 & #210 marks (respectively) for another year or so.
Article 15 crossed the threshold and did not make the list.
Drishyam 2 came in, left, and returned, and is now bouncing in and out, along with Drishyam (2013). Both are out right now, but are likely to come back again. Drishyam (2015) appears gone for good.

A bunch of older films popped back in after the change, including Sunrise and Fanny & Alexander. Not sure how long they'll last. Beyond that, the only possibilities to newly join the list are Wolfwalkers (8.1 rating and 500 votes away), or new releases.
🧚‍♂️🦫
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

I love these reports! Thanks for taking your time. :sweat:
TiRex

Post by TiRex »

Indeed. Great post as always.
erde

Post by erde »

I agree! Great reports!
Lilarcor
Donator

Post by Lilarcor »

max-scl

Post by max-scl »

Lilarcor wrote: August 21st, 2021, 9:34 pm New Amanda Award winner:
https://icheckmovies.com/movies/the+pai ... the+thief/
Thanks, updated.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Wow, lightning-fast, max! :D
4th documentary to win the award, apparently. It's one of the lists where many users struggle to gain a #1000 (or #500) rank without actively "working" on it :)
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Torgo wrote: August 21st, 2021, 9:38 pm 4th documentary to win the award, apparently. It's one of the lists where many users struggle to gain a #1000 (or #500) rank without actively "working" on it :)
Yep, probably has something to do with only three Amanda winners being on another Official List. I only had four checks on the list myself - now 5 - though I'd only cautiously recommend the documentary. Interesting subject but too staged/rehearsed for my liking.
|iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | Gold Derby
Long live the new flesh!
72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm »

Lilarcor wrote: August 21st, 2021, 9:34 pm New Amanda Award winner:
https://icheckmovies.com/movies/the+pai ... the+thief/
Nice. Check this one out folks!
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

ICM-profile
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Whenever I see BO, I think body odor.
I guess for many that's also pretty appropriate re: the list we're talking about.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

New Eureka MoC addition:
Il grande silenzio (1968)
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: August 26th, 2021, 6:25 pm New Eureka MoC addition:
Il grande silenzio (1968)
List updated, thanks. :)
(Saved as a minor edit)
🧚‍♂️🦫
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Saving others a click:
August 27, 2021
Added Bad Boys (1983), Blind Alley (1939), Rusty Knife (1958), Violent Saturday (1955), Deadline U.S.A. (1952).

https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/bad+boys-1983-1/
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/blind+alley/
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/sabita+naifu/
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/violent+saturday/
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/deadline+-+u.s.a./

All of them new official checks, except Rusty Knife, a Japan noir which already was part of the Eclipse series.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Updated, thanks.
Torgo wrote: August 27th, 2021, 9:26 pm Saving others a click:
August 27, 2021
Added Bad Boys (1983), Blind Alley (1939), Rusty Knife (1958), Violent Saturday (1955), Deadline U.S.A. (1952).

https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/bad+boys-1983-1/
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/blind+alley/
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/sabita+naifu/
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/violent+saturday/
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/deadline+-+u.s.a./

All of them new official checks, except Rusty Knife, a Japan noir which already was part of the Eclipse series.
Thanks. Made the update nice and easy.

The three American true noirs were all in the old TSPDT noir list, so they're returning to officialdom. Bad Boys is thus the only brand new official one (unless it was on another list I'm unaware of).
🧚‍♂️🦫
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

This time a non-Chinese new entry in the BO list.
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/free+guy/
ICM-profile
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome »

joachimt wrote: August 31st, 2021, 6:54 pm This time a non-Chinese new entry in the BO list.
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/free+guy/
I expected that movie to be a (relative) box office bomb, to be honest. But maybe that’s only because I personally think it looks really shitty.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome »

Golden Lion winner at Venice: L’evenement / Happening (Audrey Diwan) https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/levenement/
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd