Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Coming of Age (Results), DtC - Ratings (Results), 1933 (May 12th), 1970s (May 29th)
Challenges: Japan, Mystery/Thriller, Western
Film of the Week: La donna del lago, June nominations (May 28th)

Official lists updates

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

TiRex wrote: April 11th, 2021, 9:34 am Sorry for the intermission, but shouldn't My Octapus Teacher be at least considered for the IMDb's Documentary Top 50 list? It has way over the 400 checks and 2000 votes thresholds. I don't know if it would become official because it would be tied with 8.2 for the #38-60 spot but it should at least be in the IMDb list, no?
Yes. It will be included in the next update of the imdb lists. PA does that once every month or so.
🧚‍♂️🦫
dirty_score

Post by dirty_score »

Fergenaprido wrote: April 11th, 2021, 10:19 am
TiRex wrote: April 11th, 2021, 9:34 am Sorry for the intermission, but shouldn't My Octapus Teacher be at least considered for the IMDb's Documentary Top 50 list? It has way over the 400 checks and 2000 votes thresholds. I don't know if it would become official because it would be tied with 8.2 for the #38-60 spot but it should at least be in the IMDb list, no?
Yes. It will be included in the next update of the imdb lists. PA does that once every month or so.
Just wondering but what would happen to the imdb lists if one day PA decides it's too busy or tired of updating them, even at a monthly pace?
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

dirty_score wrote: April 11th, 2021, 10:38 am
Fergenaprido wrote: April 11th, 2021, 10:19 am
Just wondering but what would happen to the imdb lists if one day PA decides it's too busy or tired of updating them, even at a monthly pace?
Then someone should take over.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
dirty_score

Post by dirty_score »

BAFTA winner: Nomadland
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

dirty_score wrote: April 11th, 2021, 8:32 pm BAFTA winner: Nomadland
Updated. Thanks. :)
🧚‍♂️🦫
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

I haven't seen Nomadland yet, so this is not to be meant as criticism: Does someone else feel a bit bored/disappointed by one film winning all the awards? So far we have Venice, BAFTA, the Golden Globes and an Oscar BP in two weeks isn't too unrealistic. (National Board of Review is an outlier with Da 5 Bloods.) On ICM, we only have a few award spots - just grant the other nominees the chance to shine, too! :folded:
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

But isn’t that the case most years, with one movie wining most if not all awards?
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: April 11th, 2021, 10:10 pm But isn’t that the case most years, with one movie wining most if not all awards?
Sometimes. But I think this year was different in so many ways, and one way I'm sure was in how awards contenders were marketed to the voters.

Still haven't seen any of them. Maybe will try to hit 2-3 of them before the Oscars. Just can't care much this year.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: April 11th, 2021, 10:10 pm But isn’t that the case most years, with one movie wining most if not all awards?
Feel free to compare the winners of these 5 lists to another. For the 2010s, there was more dispersion than one might think :)

OldAle1 wrote: April 11th, 2021, 10:17 pm Sometimes. But I think this year was different in so many ways, and one way I'm sure was in how awards contenders were marketed to the voters.
But did you think it would give fewer films the advantage? I was curious to see the 2021 award season when Covid decided to linger on, because I thought that smaller films would profit as bigger & biggest productions might have been postponed (although the Bond & Furious stuff wasn't exactly Oscar-bait, but there are sure other halted/belated releases).
And I think it might be reflected in the BP Nominees, where Mank and Chicago 7 look like the most typical Academy stuff; maybe The Father and Judas too; after that, we have many rather minor titles of which in usual seasons there would appear 2 to 4, but not so many of them. .. I guess.

Maybe Nomad just is infinitely better than the rest of the field, I don't know. ;)
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Well, not having seen it yet and only having read the brief blurb on IMDb, I have to wonder if it isn't speaking to the zeitgeist in some way. Clearly something like Mank doesn't. Mank isn't about loss and for so many people, the last year is focused on what they feel they've lost. Plus, I think most voters will be old enough to remember the Great Recession and what they lost then too. Granted, losing the house in Malibu doesn't quite compare when you still have a place in Bel Air and Aspen, but all the optimism of the new millennium has evaporated a number times - let's not forget the whole Trump era - and so I just wonder how that's feeling for folks who cast votes.

Then on top of all that you've got the fairly popular and respected Frances McDormand being directed by a woman. Again, I think part of the zeitgeist is that it's time to look towards those who've traditionally be shut out or sidelined. Unfortunately, to date, I've only seen Mank and Chicago 7, both of which strike me as much more insider. Maybe Black Messiah isn't quite right for a BLM statement? Who knows. Will wait until I've seen it. But I can imagine insiders being more comfortable with a limited outsider than a major outlier.

Viewer expectation has so much to do with it. Some festivals are known for honoring a more experimental view of cinema. I'm not sure that any of the major awards have ever been that. After all, something like the Oscars reminds me an awful lot like a high school popularity contest.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

xianjiro wrote: April 12th, 2021, 1:52 am Well, not having seen it yet and only having read the brief blurb on IMDb, I have to wonder if it isn't speaking to the zeitgeist in some way. Clearly something like Mank doesn't. Mank isn't about loss and for so many people, the last year is focused on what they feel they've lost. Plus, I think most voters will be old enough to remember the Great Recession and what they lost then too. Granted, losing the house in Malibu doesn't quite compare when you still have a place in Bel Air and Aspen, but all the optimism of the new millennium has evaporated a number times - let's not forget the whole Trump era - and so I just wonder how that's feeling for folks who cast votes.

Then on top of all that you've got the fairly popular and respected Frances McDormand being directed by a woman. Again, I think part of the zeitgeist is that it's time to look towards those who've traditionally be shut out or sidelined. Unfortunately, to date, I've only seen Mank and Chicago 7, both of which strike me as much more insider. Maybe Black Messiah isn't quite right for a BLM statement? Who knows. Will wait until I've seen it. But I can imagine insiders being more comfortable with a limited outsider than a major outlier.

Viewer expectation has so much to do with it. Some festivals are known for honoring a more experimental view of cinema. I'm not sure that any of the major awards have ever been that. After all, something like the Oscars reminds me an awful lot like a high school popularity contest.
I've seen all the nominees at this point. Nomadland definitely doesn't have a traditional Oscar-bait feel to it. Very naturalistic with quite a few non-actors and little in the way of driving plot, being much more of a character study. I could see the film's view on a return to a simple life to escape troubles as something very appealing to a lot of people as you were saying.

Also really though, we've had several films in recent years get Best Picture that normally wouldn't have like Moonlight and Parasite (of course we also have Green Book that is EXACTLY the kind of film that one would assume would be Oscar bait).
dirty_score

Post by dirty_score »

Torgo wrote: April 11th, 2021, 10:03 pm I haven't seen Nomadland yet, so this is not to be meant as criticism: Does someone else feel a bit bored/disappointed by one film winning all the awards? So far we have Venice, BAFTA, the Golden Globes and an Oscar BP in two weeks isn't too unrealistic.
Don't forget Toronto :P

But in the last 6 years, the Bafta winner did not end up winning the Oscar. If the Academy wants to be "bold" again like last year they will give it to Minari.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Would be interesting if the Academy decided to make it a fully Asian year, with Better Days winning Best Foreign film. That would mean a trio of wins for Japan - South Korea and Hong Kong.
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

dirty_score wrote: April 12th, 2021, 10:58 am
Torgo wrote: April 11th, 2021, 10:03 pm I haven't seen Nomadland yet, so this is not to be meant as criticism: Does someone else feel a bit bored/disappointed by one film winning all the awards? So far we have Venice, BAFTA, the Golden Globes and an Oscar BP in two weeks isn't too unrealistic.
Don't forget Toronto :P

But in the last 6 years, the Bafta winner did not end up winning the Oscar. If the Academy wants to be "bold" again like last year they will give it to Minari.
The BAFTA difference is interesting, but historically they match much more often. Going back past that 6-year mark, 12 Years a Slave, Argo, The Artist and The King's Speech were perfect matches for four years in a row.

I don't see Minari winning Best Picture without the editing nod. A bolder pick in any case would be something like Promising Young Woman or the surreal anti-narrative nightmare that is The Father, but I don't think either of those have a clear path to winning their Screenplay categories, let alone the top award.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

Best Picture now uses Ranked Choice Voting (aka. "Instant Runoff"), so there's a chance that it'll be the least divisive movie that wins. To win a movie has to have 50%+1 votes.

ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

If it's of interest to you, The Father enters the IMDb Top 250 ranked #150 with an impressive 8.3 score. It will eliminate one of the lower Bollywood entries with tomorrow's bi-weekly IMDb lists update :innocent:
dirty_score

Post by dirty_score »

dirty_score wrote: March 29th, 2021, 5:44 pm the Time Out's The 100 Best French Films list source has been a mess for a while, why not change it to the other source? At least, it would update the list...
:shrug:
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

dirty_score wrote: April 18th, 2021, 11:09 am
dirty_score wrote: March 29th, 2021, 5:44 pm the Time Out's The 100 Best French Films list source has been a mess for a while, why not change it to the other source? At least, it would update the list...
Isn't that the list that has different editions (sources) for its English edition (London?) and Édition française (Paris?)?
Panunzio

Post by Panunzio »

xianjiro wrote: April 18th, 2021, 7:10 pm
Isn't that the list that has different editions (sources) for its English edition (London?) and Édition française (Paris?)?
Would we consider using the additional films from the other version as an addendum at the end of the official list?
dirty_score

Post by dirty_score »

xianjiro wrote: April 18th, 2021, 7:10 pm Isn't that the list that has different editions (sources) for its English edition (London?) and Édition française (Paris?)?
Yes. The Édition française has been a mess for a long time, while the other, not much different, it's updated.
Panunzio wrote: April 18th, 2021, 7:41 pm Would we consider using the additional films from the other version as an addendum at the end of the official list?

Would be much easier just switching sources and rearrange the list acordingly, I believe.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Panunzio wrote: April 18th, 2021, 7:41 pm
xianjiro wrote: April 18th, 2021, 7:10 pm

Would we consider using the additional films from the other version as an addendum at the end of the official list?
This makes more sense.
🏳️‍⚧️
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

If I remember correctly, some of the Mods had concerns about the differences between the content of the two editions though I don't remember the specifics at this point.

However, (and I say this only as another iCM user and forum member - nothing more or less) my concern is that we are talking about a magazine with different target audiences and different demographics. A list of best French films for an English audience might be different than a list of best French films for a French audience. Also, I suspect the people making the decisions (editorial board, poll takers, whatever) is different between the two and this might get at some of the Mods' concerns - but I'm not saying definitively that it is. This difference between the two lists doesn't mean they are readily interchangeable. Could it be that the "messy" Édition française is viewed by some as better, more definitive, better sourced, etc?

Again, these are thoughts from my memories. Of the lists I spent time exploring during my short tenure as a Mod, the French lists weren't something I looked into. However, I do remember this discussion from somewhere, if not the complete details. So at least I can propose why a simple solution hasn't been adopted.

One last thought, given two country lists, I'm going to favor the list prepared by locals. I really believe a list of best French films compiled by Peruvians will be somewhat different than a list of best French films compiled by Balinese, and both will be different from what the French consider their own best films. Given the context of iCM, when a local list if available, that's the one I'd hope would be official.
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/ope ... a+shurika/

What the eff is this film doing on the IMDb Shorts list? I don't care if it is made up of three sub-films....

I couldn't even guess the last time I didn't have a Platinum on this list.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Problem #2 with the IMDb lists? hijole

start reading with this post viewtopic.php?p=705656#p705647
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Ebbywebby wrote: April 19th, 2021, 7:54 am https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/ope ... a+shurika/

What the eff is this film doing on the IMDb Shorts list? I don't care if it is made up of three sub-films....

That's because someone added the "short" genre to the film on imdb. Once the genre is removed it'll be gone from the icm list after the next update.
🧚‍♂️🦫
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Ebbywebby wrote: April 19th, 2021, 7:54 am https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/ope ... a+shurika/

Maybe just watch Operation 'Y'? :whistling: One of the better Russian comedies that I watched for last year's Official Challenge with lots of genuine laughs and less Gaidai slapstick than usual. Plus, it's an Official Check and will remain so even when the 'Short' issue is resolved.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

Fergenaprido wrote: April 19th, 2021, 12:28 pm

That's because someone added the "short" genre to the film on imdb. Once the genre is removed it'll be gone from the icm list after the next update.
I see the genre tag is gone now.
Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 »

xianjiro wrote: April 18th, 2021, 11:47 pm One last thought, given two country lists, I'm going to favor the list prepared by locals. I really believe a list of best French films compiled by Peruvians will be somewhat different than a list of best French films compiled by Balinese, and both will be different from what the French consider their own best films. Given the context of iCM, when a local list if available, that's the one I'd hope would be official.
Tried contacting the french team ... but never got an answer ;(
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Yep, these completely fraudulent attributions vanish fast enough. Annoying that it always resets your platinum.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Torgo wrote: April 19th, 2021, 8:37 pm Yep, these completely fraudulent attributions vanish fast enough. Annoying that it always resets your platinum.
Maybe just see it as an opportunity to discover new films?
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Maybe. Not that I'm lacking any new input for my 400 different watchlists. :P
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Torgo wrote: April 19th, 2021, 8:37 pm

Yep, these completely fraudulent attributions vanish fast enough. Annoying that it always resets your platinum.
easy loss
easy return
no sweat
dirty_score

Post by dirty_score »

I see that max updated the sundance list with an earlier winner but according to the source it should be added the very first winner: Brainwash (1981) a.k.a. Circle of Power
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Waiting for Max to respond.....
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

I think when I investigated this before, I concluded that both Circle of Power and Old Enough should be part of the list. Both are amazing films too.
Image Image Image
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Ah, Minority Report, one of those forgotten gems. Textbook noir.
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome »

Torgo wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 2:04 pm Ah, Minority Report, one of those forgotten gems. Textbook noir.
Assuming your post is pure sarcasm, I’d say Minority Report is a lot more neo-noir than another of the new additions, Point Break (1991), is. Of the newly added films I’m familiar with, Point Break is more of the head-scratcher to me.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

GruesomeTwosome wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 2:15 pm
Torgo wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 2:04 pm Ah, Minority Report, one of those forgotten gems. Textbook noir.
Assuming your post is pure sarcasm, I’d say Minority Report is a lot more neo-noir than another of the new additions, Point Break (1991), is. Of the newly added films I’m familiar with, Point Break is more of the head-scratcher to me.
I've seen those two and City of Industry, which is much closer to what I think of as noir in the modern context than the other two, though to be fair I barely remember Point Break. Things to Do in Denver looks like any number of Tarantino wannabes from the 90s, most of which aren't very good but at least do tend often to have plenty of neo-noir characteristics. The Story of Molly X, one of the more obscure entries from the original list, looks kind of promising to me though.