Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th), Favourite Movies (Mar 28th)
Challenges: UK/Ireland, Directed by Women, Waves from around the World
Film of the Week: Der Wald vor lauter Bäumen, April nominations (Apr 1st)

Japanese pre-1960s Films Available Online

AdamH
Site Admin

Japanese pre-1960s Films Available Online

Post by AdamH »

List on iCM

If there's one list I want to complete, it's this one. Well, complete the films that have subtitles. It's my favourite era of cinema. I've seen 58 so far and still have some of the bigger films left to watch (in terms of number of checks). I plan to roughly work on it by most checked films first.

How many have you seen?
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

Seen 53. Of the films that you haven't seen my favorite is Dokuritsu gurentai, so I recommend watching that one next.
jvv
Donator

Post by jvv »

I've seen 18.
funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness »

I've seen 24 which is more than I thought.

Top 5
Late Spring
Sansho the Bailiff
Children of the Beehive
The Story of the Last Chrysanthemums
Throne of Blood

honorable mentions White Beast and the first half of Japanese Girls at the Harbor.

need to rewatch Seven Samurai
and there's quite a few that look real good on the list.
Angel Glez

Post by Angel Glez »

They are more than I thought, never even heard of some of them.

I would like to nominate Ani to sono imoto (1939) and/or Tsuki wa noborinu (1955) for next Doubling but, alas, 1 check (themagician) and 0 checks respectively. :pinch:
Last edited by Angel Glez on November 1st, 2014, 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface »

seen 70. useful list for reference, but I have no ambition to complete it as I'm not fussed about most of the pre-war Japanese films I've seen. however, late 40s-mid 60s is one of the strongest eras of any country/time.
Limedebois

Post by Limedebois »

157. Not even half way... Need to practice a bit more to reach my goal to be a good magician.

My humble favs with 0 official list (therefore just few checks):

The Naruse's films (some are overrated but a lot of great films):
Tabi yakusha
Shiroi yajû
Ani imôto
Onna doshi
Kafuku kôhen
Kotan no kuchibue
Tsuruhachi and Tsurujiro
Magokoro
Hideko no shashô-san
Fûfu
Iwashigumo

Three Chimizu's films:
Utajo oboegaki
Kanzashi
Ohara Shôsuke-san

And others favs:
Yoru no tsuzumi
Dobu
Orochi
Oatsurae Jirokichi goshi
Gan
AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

Themagician, I noticed that you removed all the animated shorts from the list. Do you have a list of ones that are available? I'm working through the animated shorts as well now so I thought about putting a list on iCM.
themagician

Post by themagician »

AdamH on Nov 7 2014, 05:57:11 AM wrote:Themagician, I noticed that you removed all the animated shorts from the list. Do you have a list of ones that are available? I'm working through the animated shorts as well now so I thought about putting a list on iCM.
See "not listed" in the description:

With subs:
Japanese Anime Classic Collection
The Roots of Japanese Anime until the End of WWII (1930 - 1942)

Without subs:
Noburo Ofuji Film Works (1926 - 1956)
Kenzo Masaoka Works (1934-1950)
AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

Thanks. I'm putting a list together. There are some other than the ones in those collections but not many.

I'm struggling to find all of the Anime Classic Collection on IMDb (they might not all be on there). Found everything from discs one and two. Can't find Dekobo no Jidosha Ryoko (1934) from disc three. Will go through disc four to check as well soon.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

The National Film Archive of Japan has digitised 64 short animated films released between 1917 and 1941 and has made them available online. Viewers can now discover the birth of animated Japanese cinema through these films, the majority of which are in black and white and are often silent, with characters making jerky movements.
Article: https://pen-online.com/culture/vintage- ... scrolled=0
The films: https://animation.filmarchives.jp/en/index.html
tommy_leazaq
Donator

Post by tommy_leazaq »

Onderhond wrote: November 5th, 2020, 12:05 pm
The National Film Archive of Japan has digitised 64 short animated films released between 1917 and 1941 and has made them available online. Viewers can now discover the birth of animated Japanese cinema through these films, the majority of which are in black and white and are often silent, with characters making jerky movements.
Article: https://pen-online.com/culture/vintage- ... scrolled=0
The films: https://animation.filmarchives.jp/en/index.html
Great find. Thanks... :thumbsup:
weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy »

That link in the OP does not seem to work because he changed the name of the list, but this one does now:

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/japa ... emagician/