Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Animation (Results), 2016 awards (Aug 25th), 1987 (Aug 25th), Benelux (Aug 30th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Romance, UK/Ireland, <400 Checks
Film of the Week: The Great White Silence, September nominations (Aug 30th)

Ways to use ICM

metaller
Donator

Ways to use ICM

Post by metaller » October 13th, 2014, 4:39 pm

mightysparks on Oct 12 2014, 08:56:28 AM wrote:I always have the iCM and IMDb page open for the film/s I'm about to watch, so check it as soon as I finish (sometimes it's after some time has passed if I go do something else or whatever).
:thumbsup: That's the way I do it too.
Open up a film's IMDB and ICM page and then I start the film.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 13th, 2014, 5:17 pm

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on Oct 13 2014, 10:28:36 AM wrote:
Lammetje on Oct 13 2014, 10:19:56 AM wrote:
Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on Oct 13 2014, 09:38:36 AM wrote:But what I'm really curious about is why the second comment "gave you AIDS." It's ineloquent and ungrammatical, but it's expressing an opinion that, I would guess, 99% or more of the people in this forum would agree with. :shrug:
It's just a way of expressing disgust, which was caused by the interpunction. Perfectionists like me don't like that kind of post at all. :blush: It also reminds me of those trashy YouTube comments. So it has nothing to do with how I feel about the movie.

I take it you've never seen this meme? :P

No, the expression I understand. I didn't understand what it was about the post that disgusted you so much. So it's the punctuation that bothers you? You are a grammar perfectionist? Then I'll tell you that it needs to be either "that kind of post" or "those kinds of posts." tehe
Thanks. :blush:
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

Torgo

Post by Torgo » October 15th, 2014, 12:11 am

Pixar

:teehee:

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 5th, 2015, 1:42 pm

so i'm sticking for now with just checking movies on at least one official list and with a runtime less than 70 minutes
I just had to post it here. :lol:
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

Harco
Donator

Post by Harco » August 5th, 2015, 2:24 pm

I only check movies I've seen since ~July 29, 2007. That's when I started rating/checking movies. Does that also count for something? :D

3rd

Post by 3rd » August 5th, 2015, 2:26 pm

joachimt on Aug 5 2015, 07:42:05 AM wrote:
so i'm sticking for now with just checking movies on at least one official list and with a runtime less than 70 minutes
I just had to post it here. :lol:
That's fine mate.
Neither a prude nor politically correct!
Minst sex års kritiskt granskande!

https://www.icheckmovies.com/profiles/3rd/

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 5th, 2015, 4:53 pm

Harco on Aug 5 2015, 08:24:35 AM wrote:I only check movies I've seen since ~July 29, 2007. That's when I started rating/checking movies. Does that also count for something? :D
Sure, it's something different. ;)
It actually makes sense though.
ICM-profile

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » September 27th, 2015, 8:08 am

What's the point of adding something to your watchlist after you have checked it?
ICM-profile

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » September 27th, 2015, 8:22 am

joachimt on Sep 27 2015, 02:08:48 AM wrote:Image

What's the point of adding something to your watchlist after you have checked it?
To watch it again? I did it a few times for shorts when subs were missing
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » September 9th, 2016, 1:50 pm

I just couldn't resist adding this since someone just made this confession:

Huh? There are people who check movies they watched screwing together IKEA furniture?
ICM-profile

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » September 9th, 2016, 8:24 pm

so. how do we set up a "True Confessions" thread were people can post anonymously about what they actually do? I'm sure someone has checked a movie they 'watched' while screwing on IKEA furniture. :P That should definitely count for something!

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » September 9th, 2016, 8:47 pm

xianjiro on Sep 9 2016, 02:24:38 PM wrote:so. how do we set up a "True Confessions" thread were people can post anonymously about what they actually do? I'm sure someone has checked a movie they 'watched' while screwing on IKEA furniture. :P That should definitely count for something!
yer emboldened text is how I read joachim's post and then I read yours and had to go back.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » September 9th, 2016, 9:57 pm

funkybusiness on Sep 9 2016, 02:47:20 PM wrote:
xianjiro on Sep 9 2016, 02:24:38 PM wrote:so. how do we set up a "True Confessions" thread were people can post anonymously about what they actually do? I'm sure someone has checked a movie they 'watched' while screwing on IKEA furniture. :P That should definitely count for something!
yer emboldened text is how I read joachim's post and then I read yours and had to go back.
naughty, naughty person! ;)

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » September 10th, 2016, 6:50 am

ConfessionShow
Spoiler: click to toggleShow
Is it against the TOS to have two ICM accounts?
:ph43r:
Last edited by Nathan Treadway on September 10th, 2016, 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
iCM

“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ (Matthew 25:37-40)

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » September 10th, 2016, 7:25 am

treadwaynathan on Sep 10 2016, 12:50:19 AM wrote:
ConfessionShow
read and decide for yourself, though I'm sure Marijn would prefer it if the questioned account was paid for

;)

sol can find me here

Coco LaBerge

Post by Coco LaBerge » September 10th, 2016, 8:58 am

Armoreska on Sep 27 2015, 02:22:03 AM wrote:

Yeah I do this all the time, if I want to see it again sometime soon. Or if I was tired when I watched the film, so couldn't get into it, which happens a fair bit.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » September 10th, 2016, 9:31 am

I think it's cool that a simple tool can work for different people in different ways. :)

sol can find me here

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » September 11th, 2016, 6:04 am

xianjiro on Sep 10 2016, 01:25:10 AM wrote:
ConfessionShow
read and decide for yourself, though I'm sure Marijn would prefer it if the questioned account was paid for

;)
I was pretty sure it wasn't. It's not a paying acct. (I pay for my main acct.) The only thing I use the second one for is to keep track of the movies I own. There are certain lists I'm trying to collect all of, and this seems to be the easiest way to keep track of how far on each of them I am.

(Yes, I'm aware of the "own" feature on there, but, that doesn't tell me the data I want to know.)

I also use the watchlist on that acct for the 10 plus lists data. It makes it easy to keep track of it, since I use the watchlist on my regular acct for something else.
iCM

“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ (Matthew 25:37-40)

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » September 11th, 2016, 6:08 am

pjim on Sep 10 2016, 02:58:41 AM wrote:
Armoreska on Sep 27 2015, 02:22:03 AM wrote:

Yeah I do this all the time, if I want to see it again sometime soon. Or if I was tired when I watched the film, so couldn't get into it, which happens a fair bit.
No probably clicked on it by accident!
Turning over a new leaf :ICM:

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » September 11th, 2016, 7:19 am

treadwaynathan on Sep 11 2016, 12:04:26 AM wrote:
xianjiro on Sep 10 2016, 01:25:10 AM wrote:
ConfessionShow

;)
I was pretty sure it wasn't. It's not a paying acct. (I pay for my main acct.) The only thing I use the second one for is to keep track of the movies I own. There are certain lists I'm trying to collect all of, and this seems to be the easiest way to keep track of how far on each of them I am.

(Yes, I'm aware of the "own" feature on there, but, that doesn't tell me the data I want to know.)

I also use the watchlist on that acct for the 10 plus lists data. It makes it easy to keep track of it, since I use the watchlist on my regular acct for something else.
Well, an easy solution, as I understand it, if you have any doubt, take the second account dark. But it doesn't sound like you're using it to check movies you've never seen or can't ever see, so the only really concern one could raise is that it affects the standing of those below the second account. So honestly, it would make sense to take it :ph43r: . Not exactly sure how one does that since I've had no interest - if you can't find it out in the settings, I'm sure someone else on here will know what to do. I think Monty's dark: he certainly could tell you. :)

sol can find me here

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » September 11th, 2016, 7:24 am

xianjiro on Sep 11 2016, 01:19:51 AM wrote:
treadwaynathan on Sep 11 2016, 12:04:26 AM wrote:
xianjiro on Sep 10 2016, 01:25:10 AM wrote:read and decide for yourself, though I'm sure Marijn would prefer it if the questioned account was paid for

;)

Well, an easy solution, as I understand it, if you have any doubt, take the second account dark. But it doesn't sound like you're using it to check movies you've never seen or can't ever see, so the only really concern one could raise is that it affects the standing of those below the second account. So honestly, it would make sense to take it :ph43r: . Not exactly sure how one does that since I've had no interest - if you can't find it out in the settings, I'm sure someone else on here will know what to do. I think Monty's dark: he certainly could tell you. :)
No worries. ;) It is dark.
iCM

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » October 14th, 2016, 7:50 am

...people who don't check shorts they've watched.
ICM-profile

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » October 14th, 2016, 8:15 am

do we already have "people who check series that haven't been completed yet"? I'm guessing likewise, some even check movies that haven't been released yet.

sol can find me here

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » October 14th, 2016, 8:18 am

xianjiro on Oct 14 2016, 02:15:21 AM wrote:do we already have "people who check series that haven't been completed yet"? I'm guessing likewise, some even check movies that haven't been released yet.
I added the first one. The second one is just a case of checking movies you haven't actually seen.
ICM-profile

Rene Narciso

Post by Rene Narciso » December 15th, 2016, 9:19 pm

joachimt on Oct 5 2014, 07:12:26 AM wrote:...people who favorite something like half of what they have seen.
...people who only check movies they have seen after July 29, 2007.
Guilty as charged?

I favorite too many movies, I guess. Not quite half of what I watch, more like 1/3 of what I watch.

I suppose because I consider "favorite" as any movie I really, really enjoyed, and not just the top 10 best I've seen in my life or something like that. Also because I more or less stopped watching movies "randomly": I hunt the movies that are in at least one ICM list I respect. And most of those are at least decent movies.

I also set a watching date of January 1, 2000 or later for the movies I check. Anything that I watched more than 16 years ago I probably don't remember well, and I definitely need to watch again for it to "count" for me.
Last edited by Rene Narciso on December 15th, 2016, 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » December 15th, 2016, 10:52 pm

https://www.icheckmovies.com/profiles/tendoza/

This person used to rank in my vicinity, before he went dark. He has Favorited or Disliked every film he has checked!

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » December 16th, 2016, 3:08 am

Ebbywebby on Dec 15 2016, 03:52:15 PM wrote:https://www.icheckmovies.com/profiles/tendoza/

This person used to rank in my vicinity, before he went dark. He has Favorited or Disliked every film he has checked!
I like it. Decisive by nature. Only thing, now I wonder if he's one of the "It's a 1 or 10 - nothing in between" voters on IMDb.

sol can find me here

Jay Mars

Post by Jay Mars » December 16th, 2016, 4:20 am

xianjiro on Dec 15 2016, 08:08:03 PM wrote:
Ebbywebby on Dec 15 2016, 03:52:15 PM wrote:https://www.icheckmovies.com/profiles/tendoza/

I like it. Decisive by nature. Only thing, now I wonder if he's one of the "It's a 1 or 10 - nothing in between" voters on IMDb.
It's the Siskel and Ebert method. Thumbs up or thumbs down. Not my cup of tea, but I see the appeal. Either he recommends a movie or he doesn't.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » May 8th, 2017, 11:41 am

Yes, I have joachimt's permission to bump this old thread.

:blink:

...people who check movies which they saw dubbed.

I have done this before. Some movies are only available to me in dubbed form. It is not an ideal way to watch a film for sure, but same goes for films only available in pan-and-scan. I am not going to pretend that I have not seen them, even if I have not seen them in their most ideal form.

...people who uncheck movies they actually saw, but are no longer on official lists.

I have no idea why anyone would do this, especially since a lot of films tend to slip off and then on various lists.

...people who check movies the moment they start watching it.

I am not that superstitious a person, but sounds like a great way to test your luck. I have had to give up on films because DVDs have skipped unbearably, VHS tapes have turned fuzzy and stopped working, online films have been cut short, movies I have recorded have not recorded properly etc. So much can go wrong. Why push your luck?

...people who uncheck movies to prevent them from going over 400 checks.

Seriously? The forum's 500<400 is just one list.

...people who favorite movies without checking them (to help the fav/check ratio).

Hahaha. That's hilarious. Again another way to get a film into ONE particular list.

...people who sign up for iCM, browse through 1 or 2 lists checking what they've seen, get bored, and never visit iCM again.

This annoys me to no end. There should be some way to render accounts defunct after X number of months with no activity. I'm ranked around 472 at the moment, but I am probably in the top 200 active users.

...people who don't check porn movies that they've seen.

LOL, would you? I guess it might depend who is on your friends list and if you want them to know what sort of thing gets you off.

...people who favorite something like half of what they have seen.

Gah. I almost fit into this category since when I signed up to iCM, I told the system to automatically favour everything with a 7+ rating. I truth, only around a third of my 7s would rate as favourites. I have been meaning to clean this up for a while, but it takes ages to un-favourite films. Ideally, I would like to reduce my favourites to less than 1000 so that I could actually reorder my list, but if I did that, I would have to re-favourite some films afterwards. Lengthy, lengthy process.

...people who use iCM for the sole purpose of advertising their blogs.

Agreed. There is little more annoying than seeing that a film has tons of comments (especially given the extinction of the IMDb message boards), only to find that half of them are personal ads.

...people who check movies they watched with auto-translated subs.

LOL. I have tried some of the auto-subs on YouTube with English language movies. They are fun for a good laugh, but that's about all.

...people who check movies they watched screwing together IKEA furniture.

I actually watch a ton of movies while doing chores around the house. Nothing as demanding as putting furniture together, but I can multi-task enough to do the dishes and watch a film at the same time.

...people who don't check shorts they've watched.

I never voted on most of the shorts that I watched during my IMDb days. It's often too hard to assign a numerical rating too them and I prefer my profile graphs to reflect feature films too. I have begun to check shorts since joining iCM, but I haven't watched/checked much yet.
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 8th, 2017, 11:47 am

sol on May 8 2017, 05:41:49 AM wrote:...people who don't check porn movies that they've seen.

LOL, would you?
Let me repeat this joke:

I wouldn't know. I always finish before the movie does and I don't check movies I have seen only a portion of. :folded:
ICM-profile

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 8th, 2017, 11:48 am

I just realized I watched and checked Deep Throat not so long ago. I decided I had to see the classic.
I didn't finish though. :lol:
ICM-profile

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » May 8th, 2017, 2:05 pm

OK I am sure some of you will want to fight/debate me, but here are mine!

But there are also:
...people who check movies they haven't actually seen.
Used to be me. I'd check the impossible to find stuff or lost stuff. I have seen the light. I am reformed. Please forgive me for I sinned in the past. I am clean now.

...people who check movies of which they only saw the available footage, even if it's just a few seconds.
This one is harder. I usually read the forum and see what others think. I mean if the original movie was 400 minutes and there is 200 minutes and you still get the plot, then yes I will check.

...people who check movies they saw without subtitles without understanding a single word.
How many words? Less than 20? Sure, I'll check. Sometimes the words are pointless. This is however only for shorts.

...people who check movies which they saw dubbed.
I watch dubbed movies all the time. Is this really a problem? You guys (this forum) are real sticklers for "rules"

...people who check movies they are planning to see in the near future.
I only check a movie I am actively starting to watch.

...people who check movies the moment they start watching it.
Yeap. That is me.

...people who don’t check unofficial movies they watch.
Nope rate (IMDB) and check everything I have watched.

...people who check movies that they can't find.
NOT ANYMORE!!!!

...people who check TV series after watching 1 episode.
My rule is 5 episodes. Either then, Ill watch it forever until it is cancelled or I'll never watch another episode. You get 5 episodes to show me you are a good tv show.

...people who don't check porn movies that they've seen.
I'm an adult! If I watched it and its on IMDB I'm rating it! Sometimes (often) I will fast forward through the sex scenes.

...people who check movies they watched screwing together IKEA furniture.
Is this bad? I mean some movies are terrible, but you still want to watch. They don't need (or deserve) your full attention

...people who check series that haven't been completed yet.
Like TV series? Yeah, I'll check it even if episodes are still airing.

...people who check movies they watched while doing the dishes (or other stuff in the house).
Again I do this and I am fine with it. I bet I get the same from the movie as anyone else. Hell this lets me know if the movie is good. If I stop doing the dishes and start watching more, than that is a good movie

...people who watch movies at 1.5x speed (VLC)
Me. I can get more movies watched this way. I still can follow easily. People talk too slow.

albajos

Post by albajos » May 8th, 2017, 2:16 pm

...people who watch films with chapters on random.

I can do it on my LD player, but outside of Motforestilling (where you are supposed to) it would probably just be for a few laughs. :)

sol
Donator

Post by sol » May 8th, 2017, 2:27 pm

joachimt on May 8 2017, 05:48:22 AM wrote:I just realized I watched and checked Deep Throat not so long ago. I decided I had to see the classic.
Yeah, Deep Throat is not exactly 'hot stuff' by standards today. The documentary was far more interesting -- though you're not likely to finish with that one either.

I don't know if I have actually ever seen a hardcore 'adult' film. I have seen some pretty good softcore ones; the 1977 version of Cinderella is a pretty inventive spin on the classic story with good puns and great costumes in addition to expected amounts of T&A.
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » May 8th, 2017, 2:29 pm

blueboybob on May 8 2017, 08:05:20 AM wrote:...people who don't check porn movies that they've seen.
I'm an adult! If I watched it and its on IMDB I'm rating it! Sometimes (often) I will fast forward through the sex scenes.
Sure. Fast forward through sex scenes since you only watch those movies for the dialogue and characters. ^_^
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » May 8th, 2017, 2:33 pm

blueboybob on May 8 2017, 08:05:20 AM wrote:...people who watch movies at 1.5x speed (VLC)
Me. I can get more movies watched this way. I still can follow easily. People talk too slow.
My DVD player allows me to watch films at 1.4 speed, but I find the sped up dialogue and actions incredibly distracting, so I don't tend to do that... except if it is a silent film where the frames-per-second on the DVD release is out of whack. Case in point: I watched The General last weeks and e v e r y t h i n g - s e e m e d - t o - m o v e - s o - s l o w l y... until I used the 1.4 speed to get things better in sync.
Image Image Image

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » May 8th, 2017, 4:09 pm

joachimt on May 8 2017, 05:48:22 AM wrote:I just realized I watched and checked Deep Throat not so long ago. I decided I had to see the classic.
You missed the climax!

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 8th, 2017, 5:47 pm

@blueboybob:
Don't read the OP as "the first three are good, the rest is bad behavior". For every line there are people who are offended by that behavior and people who think it's logical to do so. Surely, I won't hold any grudges if you watch movies while screwing on IKEA furniture... eh... or whatever.

I remember you used to check movies you couldn't find. I'm glad you reformed. ^_^
"I am clean now."
Are you checks clean as well? I remember one time you asked on the forum if someone could tell you which movies from a certain list were unavailable, so you knew what to uncheck. You got quite a lot of facepalm-replies on that. :P

Available footage is always a hard one. I checked Greed. Hardly anyone would blame me for that. But I also know people who checked a 180min movie after watching 20 sec, because that's all that survived and I do blame them for that. Different people draw the line at different places.

Watching without subs:
"How many words? Less than 20? Sure, I'll check."
I didn't mean that. I'm talking about features with an average amount of lines. I've contacted quite a lot of users in the past five years about the whereabouts of movies or subs. In some case people told me they watch lots of movies without subs in all kinds of languages. "I think I got the general idea of the movie" is what I get as a response. I don't understand why anyone would want to spend 90-120 min on a movie in which they don't understand what they're saying.

Dubbed movies:
"I watch dubbed movies all the time. Is this really a problem? You guys (this forum) are real sticklers for "rules"."
No problem, no rules. Some people detest dubbed movies and don't understand how anyone can watch it that way. I'm one of those people. In my country dubbed is only for kids. In other countries it's pretty normal.

Adult movies:
"Sometimes (often) I will fast forward through the sex scenes."
:pinch:
I was thinking the same thing as sol. What the hell do you watch them for? :lol:
ICM-profile

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » May 8th, 2017, 6:54 pm

"I am clean now."
Are you checks clean as well? I remember one time you asked on the forum if someone could tell you which movies from a certain list were unavailable, so you knew what to uncheck. You got quite a lot of facepalm-replies on that. :P

My IMDB was always clean (I only rated movies I checked). So I just had to export IMDB (which is hard when you have rated too much). And re-import (while erasing checks)

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 8th, 2017, 7:01 pm

:thumbsup:
ICM-profile