Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Animation (Results), 2016 awards (Aug 25th), 1987 (Aug 25th), Benelux (Aug 30th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Romance, UK/Ireland, <400 Checks
Film of the Week: Hospital, September nominations (Aug 30th)

National Film Registry (Hard to find films)

Ebbywebby

National Film Registry (Hard to find films)

Post by Ebbywebby » January 1st, 2018, 4:01 am

I got a runtime changed once...I had made a dumb mistake. The film was something like 131 minutes, which my brain converted to 2:11, and then I goofed and submitted 211 as the length. I submitted the corrected time with links and explanation, and it got changed about a week later.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » January 1st, 2018, 4:33 am

Ebbywebby on Dec 31 2017, 09:01:34 PM wrote:I got a runtime changed once...I had made a dumb mistake. The film was something like 131 minutes, which my brain converted to 2:11, and then I goofed and submitted 211 as the length. I submitted the corrected time with links and explanation, and it got changed about a week later.
Wonder if they saw that you'd made the prior entry and therefore were willing to make the change? Either way, hurray! :thumbsup:

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » January 4th, 2018, 10:05 am

Runtime-change has been accepted in the end (tried twice). "With the Abraham Lincoln Brigade in Spain" is now 18 minutes on IMDb/iCM.
Last edited by joachimt on January 4th, 2018, 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » January 4th, 2018, 10:37 am

amazing
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » February 9th, 2018, 5:52 am

Last edited by Armoreska on February 9th, 2018, 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » February 9th, 2018, 12:49 pm

Thanks!
ICM-profile

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » February 9th, 2018, 1:10 pm

Are we sure that is the correct one this time? There was another one that caused people to check (then uncheck) this film.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » February 9th, 2018, 1:53 pm

blueboybob on Feb 9 2018, 06:10:26 AM wrote:Are we sure that is the correct one this time? There was another one that caused people to check (then uncheck) this film.
Then it was just a few minutes.
ICM-profile

WalterNeff
Donator

Post by WalterNeff » December 12th, 2018, 5:13 pm

One of the new additions to the National Film Registry List - Hair Piece: A Film for Nappy-Headed People - will be on TCM in the US tonight (12/12/18) at 8:00 PM

jeroeno

Post by jeroeno » December 30th, 2018, 2:37 pm

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » December 30th, 2018, 8:05 pm

Thanks!
ICM-profile

WalterNeff
Donator

Post by WalterNeff » March 7th, 2019, 8:58 pm

So I just found out that I can purchase a DVD-R of https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/dix ... ow+agency/ This is the full footage, not the couple of minute excerpts available online.

Stay tuned.

Minkin

Post by Minkin » March 13th, 2019, 1:50 pm

So, nymets138's list (on the original post of this thread) is rather out of date now, with several new films that we're searching for; and several from their original list are now available! I decided to make an update with all of the pertinent info I could track down about the films which aren't readily available. If a film isn't on this list (unless there's something I've overlooked and needs to be added), you can assume that it is available via easy legal or backchannel methods (traveling to Washington DC to see a film isn't an easy method).

I hope by having this updated list, we can focus our attention on the remaining films; and that the categorized info helps people track some leads. I've included Library of Congress descriptions + essays; and what info I've found in the process. The number in front of the film's title is its' placement within the NFR list on ICM. With special thanks to nymets138 + blueboybob + joachimt - for assistance and laying the groundwork for this project.

Please let me know (here or via PM) if anything needs to be added or removed. I will keep this list maintained + updated.

Also please note: the clips I've included below don't qualify as a check; we're looking for the whole thing, not brief excerpts!

Currently missing: 17 Checks
=============================================================================
127 The Exploits of Elaine (1914)
LoC Essay

Available: Wisconsin Historical Society - all 14 reels (Worldcat)

14 Segments
Chapter 02
Chapter 10

This 14-part Pathé serial starring Pearl White as Elaine built on White's phenomenal popularity in "The Perils of Pauline." Considered the superior of the two series, "The Exploits of Elaine" boasts increasingly sophisticated camera work and production values. When Elaine's father (William Riley Hatch) is murdered by a notorious outlaw (Sheldon Lewis), she sets out after him with the help of detective Craig Kennedy (Arnold Daly), whose adventures had been successfully serialized in magazines by mystery writer Arthur B. Reeve. Along the way, Elaine is framed in a blackmail scheme and is almost sacrificed by devil worshippers, but Kennedy and his high-tech gadgetry rescue her time and again.
==================================================================================
191 Verbena trágica (1938)

Available: Youtube (unsubbed).

NO SUBTITLES ARE CURRENTLY AVAILABLE!!!!!

In the early years of sound motion pictures, studios often filmed foreign language versions of American productions. Some utilized subtitles, others were dubbed. In some cases, American stars spoke foreign dialog from a script written phonetically on a blackboard just off camera. More commonly, however, the films featured an entirely different cast. Spanish-language productions were the most common of these alternate versions, thanks to sizeable Latino audiences in Los Angeles and other metropolitan markets, as well as those in Latin American countries. Directed by Charles Lamont and starring Spanish-born actress Luana Alcañiz and Mexican star Fernando Soler, this melodrama surrounds a boxer, released after eight months in jail, who comes home to a recently pregnant wife. Produced at low-budget Columbia studio, "Verbena tragica" was unusual for the multi-version formula in that an English-language version was never made, most likely due to the film's themes of adultery and revenge.
==================================================================================
251 Modesta (1956)

Available: Youtube / Library of Congress streaming video

NO SUBTITLES ARE CURRENTLY AVAILABLE!!!!!

Puerto Rico's Division of Community Education produced approximately 65 short subjects between 1950 and 1975. Designed to inform --and influence -- the citizenry about government policy, the productions featured mostly amateur native performers and artists. Feminist at its heart, the film tells the story of a barrio woman (Antonia Hidalgo) who stands up to her abusive husband. Strongly affected by his earlier work as cinematographer on Robert Flaherty's "Louisiana Story," director Benjamin Doniger echoes his mentor's regard for pastoral poetry employing cinematographer Luis A. Maisonet to capture both the beauty of the countryside and the harshness of its lifestyle, bathing them in the soft light of early morning and dusk, as Doniger matter-of-factly depicts rural Puerto Ricans' struggle against poverty.
396 Lady Helen's Escapade (1909)

Available: Library of Congress

This sprightly short comedy stars actress Florence Lawrence ("The Biograph Girl") who became the first true star in American cinema through a combination of natural charm and canny publicity. She was the first actor or actress to receive billing in film credits, a break from the anonymity that actors and actresses had worked in until that point.
422 Jeffries-Johnson World's Championship Boxing Contest, Held at Reno, Nevada, July 4, 1910 (1910)

Available: Library of Congress has 11mins (one reel) apparently

A signal moment in American race relations, this recording of the July 4 heavyweight title fight between champion Jack Johnson and former champion James J. Jeffries became the most widely discussed and written-about motion picture made before 1915's "The Birth of a Nation."
504 George Stevens' World War II Footage (1946)

Available: Library of Congress

Clips included here
Possibly segments of the film online

Having already directed classics such as "Swing Time," "Gunga Din" and "Woman of the Year," director George Stevens joined the U.S. Army Signal Corps and headed a motion picture unit under Gen. Eisenhower from 1943-46. He shot many hours of footage chronicling D-Day, including rare extant color film of the European war front; the liberation of Paris; American and Soviet forces meeting at the Elbe River; and horrific scenes from the Duben labor camp, thought to be a sub-camp of Buchenwald; and the Dachau concentration camp. The footage has become an essential visual record of World War II and a staple of documentary films.
523 Heroes All (1920)
LoC Essay

Availability: Library of Congress

The Red Cross Bureau of Pictures produced more than 100 films, including "Heroes All," from 1917-1921, which are invaluable historical and visual records of the era with footage from World War I and its aftermath. "Heroes All" examines returning wounded WWI veterans and their treatment at Walter Reed Hospital, along with visits to iconic Washington, D.C., landmarks. Several Red Cross cinematographers achieved notable film careers, including Ernest Schoedsack and A. Farciot Edouart.
526 The Revenge of Pancho Villa (1936)
LoC Essay

Available as a special feature on the DVD "The lost reels of Pancho Villa"
Available at many libraries

About 10mins of footage (here)

Note: Intertitles include both Spanish + English text

The compilation film created by itinerant exhibitor Félix Padilla combines the cinematic traditions of the United States and Mexico to construct a biographical film about the regional hero and revolutionary general Francisco "Pancho" Villa. Using footage primarly from American silent features and newsreels – augmented by still photos and footage he shot himself – Padilla produced and exhibited the film in the El Paso-Juárez border region in the 1930s.
538 Hot Dogs for Gauguin (1972)

Available: New York University

3mins of clips

This hilarious New York University student film (with a cast including Danny DeVito and Rhea Perlman in her film debut) was written and directed by Martin Brest who later went on to direct "Beverly Hills Cop," "Midnight Run," and "Scent of a Woman." In the film, DeVito plays a down-on-his-luck photographer determined to capture visual magic and fame. He concocts an intricate plot to blow up the Statue of Liberty and sets his camera to record the exact moment of its destruction.
576 Nicholas Brothers Family Home Movies (1940)

Available at UCLA

Shown to the public periodically

Fayard and Harold Nicholas, renowned for their innovative and exuberant dance routines, began in vaudeville in the late 1920s before headlining at the Cotton Club in Harlem, starring on Broadway and performing in Hollywood films. Fred Astaire is reported to have called their dance sequence in “Stormy Weather” (1943) the greatest movie musical number he had ever seen. Their home movies capture a golden age of show business—with extraordinary footage of Broadway, Harlem and Hollywood—and also document the middle-class African-American life of that era, images made rare by the considerable cost of home-movie equipment during the Great Depression. Highlights include the only footage shot inside the Cotton Club, the only footage of famous Broadway shows like “Babes in Arms,” home movies of an all African-American regiment during World War II, films of street life in Harlem in the 1930s, and the family’s cross-country tour in 1934.
613 Hours for Jerome (1982)

Availability: UC Berkeley (BAMPFA) + SUNY Binghamton

Both parts rentable individuallly for 84 & 96 Euros each at Lightcone in Paris

Screens on occassion - like at Harvard in 2017 Nathaniel Dorsky shot the footage for what would become his silent tone poem, "Hours for Jerome," between 1966 and 1970. He edited that footage over a two-year period. The film's title evokes the liturgical "Book of Hours," a medieval series of devotional prayers recited at eight-hour intervals throughout the day. Dorsky's personal devotional loosely records the daily events of the filmmaker and his partner as an arrangement of images, energies and illuminations. The camera intimately surveys the surroundings, from the pastoral to the cosmopolitan, as fragments of light revolve around the four seasons. "Part 1" presents spring through summer and "Part 2" looks at fall and winter—a full year in 45 minutes. Named filmmaker of the decade in 2010 by Film Comment magazine, Dorsky creates his works to be projected at silent speed, between 17 and 20 frames per second instead of the usual 24 frames per second for sound film. Projecting his films at sound film speed, he writes, "is to strip them of their ability to open the heart and speak properly to their audience. Not only is the specific use of time violated, but the flickering threshold of cinema's illusion—a major player in these works—is obscured."
621 A Virtuous Vamp (1919)
Library of Congress Essay

Availability: NY Museum of Modern Art + Library of Congress ... but apparently with Finnish/Danish intertitles.

Note: Linked essay mentions the screenplay is included in a widely available book: The Talmadge girls : a memoir. So, if a copy is found somewhere without English subtitles, the book can be used for translation help.

Employing a title suggested by Irving Berlin, screenwriter Anita Loos, working with husband John Emerson, crafted this charming spoof on romance in the workplace that catapulted Constance Talmadge, the object of Berlin's unrequited affection, into stardom. During the silent era, women screenwriters, directors and producers often modified and poked fun at stereotypes of women that male filmmakers had drawn in harsher tones. The smiles of Loos' "virtuous vamp"—as embodied by Talmadge—lead to havoc in the office, but are not life-threatening, as were the hypnotizing stares of Theda Bara's iconic caricature that defined an earlier era. In this satire of male frailties, the knowing innocence of Loos' character captured the imagination of poet Vachel Lindsay, who deemed the film "a gem" and called Talmadge "a new sweetheart for America."
627 Frontier (1936) + 631 Appalachian Spring (1944)

Available at Library of Congress - maybe, if they can figure it out either (see the first page of this thread)

("Heretic," 1931; "Frontier," 1936; "Lamentation," 1943; "Appalachian Spring," 1944) Universally acknowledged as the preeminent figure in the development of modern dance and one of the most important artists of the 20th century, Martha Graham formed her own dance company in 1926. It became the longest continuously operating school of dance in America. With her company's creation, Graham codified her revolutionary new dance language soon to be dubbed the "Graham Technique." Her innovations would go on to influence generations of future dancers and choreographers, including Twyla Tharp and Merce Cunningham. This quartet of films, all silent and all starring Graham herself, document four of the artist's most important early works. They are "Heretic," with Graham as an outcast denounced by Puritans; "Frontier," a solo piece celebrating western expansion and the American spirit; "Lamentation," a solo piece about death and mourning; and "Appalachian Spring," a multi-character dance drama, the lyrical beauty of which is retained even without the aid of Aaron Copland's famous and beloved music.
642 Brandy in the Wilderness (1971)

Library of Congress Essay
Essay says it runs 74mins (also found runtimes as 87 + 95mins) + available through New Line Cinema

Available at UCLA

This introspective "contrived diary" film by Stanton Kaye features vignettes from the relationship of a real-life couple, in this case the director and his girlfriend. An evocative 1960s time capsule—reminiscent of Jim McBride's "David Holzman's Diary"—this simulated autobiography, as in many experimental films, often blurs the lines between reality and illusion, moving in non-linear arcs through the ever-evolving and unpredictable interactions of relationships, time and place. As Paul Schrader notes, "it is probably quite impossible (and useless) to make a distinction between the point at which the film reflects their lives, and the point at which their lives reflect the film." "Brandy in the Wilderness" remains a little-known yet key work of American indie filmmaking.
649 Lime Kiln Club Field Day (1913)

Availability: MoMA (has occasional screenings) + LoC + random screenings across the US

In 1913, a stellar cast of African-American performers gathered in the Bronx, New York, to make a feature-length motion picture. The troupe starred vaudevillian Bert Williams, the first African-American to headline on Broadway and the most popular recording artist prior to 1920. After considerable footage was shot, the film was abandoned. One hundred years later, the seven reels of untitled and unassembled footage were discovered in the film vaults of the Museum of Modern Art, and are now believed to constitute the earliest surviving feature film starring black actors. Modeled after a popular collection of stories known as "Brother Gardener's Lime Kiln Club," the plot features three suitors vying to win the hand of the local beauty, portrayed by Odessa Warren Grey. The production also included members of the Harlem stage show known as J. Leubrie Hill's "Darktown Follies." Providing insight into early silent-film production (Williams can be seen applying his blackface makeup), these outtakes or rushes show white and black cast and crew working together, enjoying themselves in unguarded moments. Even in fragments of footage, Williams proves himself among the most gifted of screen comedians.
789 The Girl Without a Soul (1917)

Available at Eastman Museum (has screened there) -

Note: Film is in the Public Domain

George Eastman Museum founding film curator James Card was a passionate devotee of silent film director John H. Collins' work. It is through his influence that the museum is the principal repository of the director's few extant films. As the expert on Collins' legacy, the museum said he is "one of the great 'What if…?' figures of American cinema—a brilliantly creative filmmaker who went from being a costume department assistant to a major director within four short years, before dying at the age of 31 in the 1918 influenza pandemic. Collins' films show both a subtle understanding of human nature and often breathtakingly daring cinematography and editing. The 'Girl Without a Soul' stars Viola Dana (to whom Collins was married) in a dual role as twin sisters, one of whom is a gifted violinist, and the other, a deeply troubled girl jealous of her sister's abilities and the love bestowed upon her by their violinmaker father. This jealousy and the violinist sister's unworldliness lead both into turbulent moral conflict, which takes considerable fortitude from both to overcome." "The Girl Without a Soul" has been preserved by George Eastman Museum.
Found since First List:

Bless Their Little Hearts (1984) - Milestone Blu-Ray
Commandment Keeper Church, Beaufort South Carolina, May 1940 (1940) - Kino / BFI Blu-Ray
The Daughter of Dawn (1920) - Netflix / several online links
The Forgotten Frontier (1931) - Youtube
Heretic + Lamentation - Youtube
Kannapolis, N.C. (1941) - Youtube
Stark Love - Youtube
A Study in Reds (1932) - Youtube
Uksuum Cauyai: The Drums of Winter (1989) - Kanopy (actually available) + backchannels
787 Dixon-Wanamaker Expedition to Crow Agency (1908) - Backchannels

================================
Verbena trágica (1938) - Youtube (unsubbed). NO SUBTITLES AVAILABLE!!!!!

764 Lives of Performers (1972)
Available (works for me) at Kanopy + DVD + backchannels

666 Please, Don't Bury Me Alive! (1976)
Available: 2007 DVD (with English subtitles) from UCLA Chicano Studies Research Center + DVD is available at many libraries + backchannels
Last edited by Minkin on March 26th, 2019, 8:40 am, edited 6 times in total.

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » March 14th, 2019, 12:36 am

Minkin wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 1:50 pm
Verbena trágica (1938) - Youtube (unsubbed), but subtitles available elsewhere
Really? Where?

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » March 14th, 2019, 6:00 am

Nathan Treadway wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 12:36 am