Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (RESULTS)
Polls: 1994 (Oct 20th), 1997 awards (Oct 24th), 1940s (Oct 26th), Shorts (Nov 16th), Knockout competition (Round 2)
Challenges: Horror, TSPDT, Latin America + Caribbean, 2020 schedule
Film of the Week: Finis terrae, November nominations (Nov 1st)

They Shoot Zombies, Don't They?

Onderhond

Re: They Shoot Zombies, Don't They?

Post by Onderhond » May 12th, 2019, 7:02 pm

Nathan Treadway wrote:
May 12th, 2019, 6:24 pm
While it's an odd placement, I can actually see Wizard of Oz being considered a horror film. I mean, after all, it's essentially a nightmare.
With a little bit of words, everything is every genre.

monclivie

Post by monclivie » May 12th, 2019, 7:57 pm

ChrisReynolds wrote:
May 12th, 2019, 6:04 pm
monclivie wrote:
May 12th, 2019, 3:42 pm
sol wrote:
May 9th, 2019, 10:48 am
I don't know whether to take you literally or not, I would kind of hope that a list of "scariest films for kids" wouldn't be included in TSZDT - or if it was, it would be weighted at 0.25 or something quite low.
Yes, this ultimate canonical top 1000 has lists like "11 horror films it’s safe to watch with your kids", ”Ten Kid Friendly Horror Movies” and "30 Halloween Movies for children" as its source.
Why is this bad? They Shoot Pictures Don't They uses lists like "The Telegraph's Top 20 Children's Films", "10 Great Films About Children in Wartime", "10 Great Films Based on Classic Children's Books", etc. as its source. It even has weirder ones like "Five Key Dog Films" and "Top 40 Movies Filmed in Chicago", and I'm certain that TSZDT has a better method of comparing all the lists against each other.

And the Wizard of Oz doesn't just appear in children's horror lists. It appears in lists of best Witch films and on lists of scariest scenes. Plenty of people count the Witch of the West and the flying monkeys among their scariest formative cinema experiences.
I agree, but there's a difference between "best", "top", "great" or "key" films of any kind and "10 movies" or "11 films" that have something in common, and it's the only reason I mentioned these three lists. "200 movies filmed in Chicago" or "79 heartbreaking dog films", that would be weird in TSPDT..

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 12th, 2019, 11:56 pm

I usually don't include lists that are just 'films with something in common' if the description sounds like that's all it is. There's quite a few lists where I'll start making them and then the first few films are like 'I don't actually like this film but I needed to make this go to 20', and I immediately scrap it.

Anyway, I left this going overnight and it's finally done, a ranked list of all films nominated: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls044339710/
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » May 13th, 2019, 3:22 am

Three gialli lost their official status this month (u) (...four if I count Eyes of Laura Mars (1978) as an American giallo).

La donna del lago (1965) [The Possessed] dropped off DtC
Una lucertola con la pelle di donna (1971) [A Lizard in a Woman's Skin] dropped off TSZDT
La corta notte delle bambole di vetro (1971) [Short Night of Glass Dolls] dropped off TSZDT

I'm fine with the update overall. Some movies I love fell off and some movies I love got added [or added back after falling off the previous year).

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » May 13th, 2019, 12:40 pm

A lot of people complain, but thank you mighty for all your work on this. You try to be as unbias as possible and show all your work on making this list. You are just letting the data talk. sometimes we dont like the data, but that doesn't mean we should hide it.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » May 14th, 2019, 12:43 pm

Cocoa wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 3:22 am
Three gialli lost their official status this month (u) (...four if I count Eyes of Laura Mars (1978) as an American giallo).

La donna del lago (1965) [The Possessed] dropped off DtC
Una lucertola con la pelle di donna (1971) [A Lizard in a Woman's Skin] dropped off TSZDT
La corta notte delle bambole di vetro (1971) [Short Night of Glass Dolls] dropped off TSZDT

I'm fine with the update overall. Some movies I love fell off and some movies I love got added [or added back after falling off the previous year).
Ah, another fellow gialli-lover... :cheers: I burned myself out on them several years ago but I aim to make a comeback this year (hopefully in the thriller and/or Italian challenges)

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 15th, 2019, 1:21 am

blueboybob wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 12:40 pm
A lot of people complain, but thank you mighty for all your work on this. You try to be as unbias as possible and show all your work on making this list. You are just letting the data talk. sometimes we dont like the data, but that doesn't mean we should hide it.
Thanks (l) I definitely have issues with some inclusions and rankings on the list myself, but as you say, I'm just here to collate the data and let it speak for itself. I do my best to tweak things to keep it fair and reasonable, but that doesn't mean the voters are :P
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

insomnius

Post by insomnius » July 1st, 2019, 12:47 pm

I stumbled upon this zombie movie list that might be of interest for you:
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/j ... ies-ranked

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » July 18th, 2019, 2:14 pm

Chris sent me an updated version of the counter program that I've been using that takes into account films appearing on ranked lists. I finally ran it the other day, you can see what the list would like here: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/tszd ... htysparks/ (no new lists or any other changes from when it was calculated in May).

I've also decided to make it my primary film-watching goal to watch all the films that have been nominated, particularly focusing on looking for 'hidden gems', though I'll wade through the crap as well. When I finally catch up with writing my little reviews, I'll start posting about them in the TSZDT challenge thread I guess. This is my watchlist: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/blep/mightysparks/

I've only just started making the list on IMDb so it won't be complete for a few hours but here's all the TSZDT nominated films sorted by how many lists they appear in: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls048105041/

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » July 27th, 2019, 2:05 am

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » July 30th, 2019, 10:43 am

So, I was looking for some new lists and I'm not sure how I should go about dealing with 'best films of 2019 (so far) lists. Should I wait and only use lists made in the last couple months of 2019? Would mid-year lists be suitable? Ignore lists made before July-ish?

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » July 30th, 2019, 10:59 am

Probably just best to wait until 2019 is over?

sol
Donator

Post by sol » July 30th, 2019, 11:23 am

I vote for not including any "Best of 2019" lists at all - unless you have a similar number of "Best of 1984", "Best of 1977" etc lists factored in already.
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image