Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Benelux (Results), 1944 awards (Sep 23rd), 1964 (Sep 28th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Silent Era, 21st Century, Japan
Film of the Week: Reindeerspotting - pako Joulumaasta, October nominations (Sep 27th)

The quest to rescue the IMDb lists

Torgo

The quest to rescue the IMDb lists

Post by Torgo » December 3rd, 2013, 3:39 am

Twice a week, it makes me sick to see the legacy of IMDb get desecrated. :(

Has someone any idea how to make the genre lists usable again? There always had some stinkers been popping up, but since IMDb themselves made the lists unofficial and iCM relies on a simple, mostly 1000/5000-vote-calculated search, it has become dreadful to watch. You know, earlier IMDb used to ban certain films from those lists (and the prestigious Top 250 lists as well as Top 500 & 1000) and they very likely had their reasons to do so - because something fishy was going on with them. Call it vote manipulation, call it mafia ..
Also, the distinction for regular votes and IMDb's weighted vote ratings showed far more convenient results.
Fact is, now even holding your gold or silver award seems impossible on certain lists (weren't the 1970s actually one of cinema's finest decades? BECAUSE IT DOESN'T LOOK SO).

So, I know chances aren't too high for this to happen, but I'd still like to hear some opinion on it:
Ban these films from appearing on IMDb lists!
I'm not sure about how complicated this would be technically, although it doesn't look impossible to me.
Like: Search for IMDB's highest rated movies from the 1970's + exclude http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0252488 (I dare you to follow this link!)

Technical complexities aside, the question remains whether it's principally correct to do that. Well, if you take a look at these IMDb lists .. it is. As populist as it may sound, iCM should still mostly be designed for its users, and I can hardly see people in favor of these certain films - yet many being annoyed by them and even put off to take a look at the IMDb tab at all. That's not what was intended with the site, right?

The tougher question would be where to draw the line for what constitutes a mafia film. For 70's Turkish comedies, it's simple. I also trust users to be able to differentiate between Hababam, Saban Oglu Saban and the likes and a movie like Gegen die Wand (or at least Eskiya). With Indian films, I think there's a common sense in the community that a lot of films have a bloated rating, but it's mostly not as obviously stacked as with Ertem Egilmez's films and also there's a prospering fan scene and the world's most prolific film industry behind it, thus the results have at least twice the legitimation; complicated. Russia's Leonid Gayday seems like a more typical case, and then there are the obvious fakes like Kandisha from Morocco (!), undoubtedly absurd hypes like Waar from Pakistan and sometimes the rare but hopeful case that IMDb rightfully bans a film like with Vishwaroopam (which had a rating of like 8.8. when it reached the Top-250-relevant vote amount of 25.000).

For a start, it might already help to take the ominous weighted rating into account instead of the "normal" rating, but I neither know how it's calculated nor how to get it and if it improve the outcome that much. :ermm: PeacefulAnarchy, I think you're experienced with this? ..

So .. let me hear what you think.
Maybe we can make this whole thing better. :)

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » December 3rd, 2013, 5:08 am

Imdb didn't use the weighted rating in the decade and genre lists, at least not the way they said it should. I think they only weighted at 50 or 100 for every list, despite the formula saying they weighted at the list minimum. I don't think it's particularly useful if you're going to set the cutoff at 5000 anyway. I think the 1910s and 1920s are the only ones where it could make a difference, and those have other imdb vote issues that are much larger than that.

The regular voter distinction is by far the most useful, and even that was crumbling towards the end. I suspect this was part of imdb's real motivation for getting rid of the lists and increasing the minimum for the Top 250. Instead of working to fix things they decided to throw the baby out with the bathwater and fuck over anything remotely obscure just so they wouldn't have to make editorial choices on Turkish films.

Not having access to imdb's backend makes trying to do this as a user difficult. My suggestion would be to look at voter distribution. Eliminating vote stuffing like Kandisha is actually easy enough. While the US/Non-US distribution varies a lot per film, roughly 10 percent of a films ratings are neither. For Kandisha it's less than 0.5%. I'd say eliminating films with under 2% would be pretty safe, though you'd need more data than my random browsing a handful of films to see what a reasonable cutoff would be.

This still doesn't help with what we call 'mafia' films, though. The solution there, on its face might be to say if less than 5% of votes are US then remove it. But I'm not sure that would actually work. As imdb becomes more and more international there are a lot of films that would bump up against this. Hababam Sinifi sinifta Kaldi is just below 5% and many legitimate films are below 10%. I wouldn't be surprised if a more thorough analysis made the margin of error such that the distinction is essentially impossible to discern without error. A better solution would be to use individual countries, but imdb doesn't give country distributions. None of the demographic distributions could be used for this either. This only leaves either using "Top 1000 voters" which I find a bit problematic, or using significant differences between US and Non-US users in the actual ratings themselves.

So let's say we set a cutoff of more than 3 points difference between US avg and Non-US avg. What would that kick out? I don't know enough programing to be able to do page scraping and perform the required data analysis. I can say some stuff like 3 idiots would slip through the cracks but I would rather err on the side of inclusiveness than exclusiveness.

Edit: After looking at some of the films in question, I think 2.5 seems like a reasonable cutoff. Possibly a little cautious, but I'd rather let one or two undeserving films get in than exclude even one possibly worthy film. Some people here might argue for something as low as 1, but to me that's a rather extreme proposition and I'm not sure what films would get caught in it that shouldn't be. Certainly any cutoff less than 1 would be unreasonable.
Last edited by PeacefulAnarchy on December 3rd, 2013, 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » December 3rd, 2013, 8:04 am

A simple solution if it is possible is that a film has to be popular in more than one country to be included. But the suggestions above seem reasonable.
Turning over a new leaf :ICM:

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » December 3rd, 2013, 8:08 am

Cippenham on Dec 3 2013, 01:04:39 AM wrote:A simple solution if it is possible is that a film has to be popular in more than one country to be included. But the suggestions above seem reasonable.
This isn't possible for anyone other than imdb to determine.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » December 3rd, 2013, 8:38 am

Cippenham on Dec 3 2013, 01:04:39 AM wrote:A simple solution if it is possible is that a film has to be popular in more than one country to be included. But the suggestions above seem reasonable.
The simplest solution is to forget about IMDb and look at Mubi or RYM instead.

Here's the top-rated 70s films on Mubi:
Spoiler: click to toggleShow
The Godfather
Tale of Tales
The Mother and the Whore
Hedgehog in the Fog
The Godfather: Part II
Stalker
The Mirror
Apocalypse Now
Scenes from a Marriage — The Television Version
Pastoral: To Die in the Country
Jeanne Dielman, 23, Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles
A Clockwork Orange
Taxi Driver
Pinchcliffe Grand Prix
The Spirit of the Beehive
Scenes from a Marriage — The Theatrical Version
The Man Who Sleeps
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Edvard Munch
The Ascent
Cría cuervos...
Stone Wedding
World on a Wire
The Battle of Chile
Annie Hall
Chinatown
Throw Away Your Books, Rally in the Streets
Days of Heaven
Cries and Whispers
The Conformist
Ali: Fear Eats the Soul
The Travelling Players
Outrageous Class
Stroszek
Opening Night
Hope
Hearts and Minds
Manhattan
Solaris
The Wishing Tree
The Conversation
Badlands
Network
The Last Picture Show
King Lear
Le cercle rouge
Long Farewells
The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser
Harlan County USA
Pink Floyd: Live at Pompeii
And RYM: http://rateyourmusic.com/films/chart?year=1970s

They're not perfect lists but they're much better than the IMDb list (only 1 or 2 mafia films in the top 50 as opposed to ~10 mafia films on the IMDb list).
Last edited by mjf314 on December 3rd, 2013, 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

tommy_leazaq
Donator

Post by tommy_leazaq » December 3rd, 2013, 10:08 am

While we are at it ban this mafia film too. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111161/

It has a ridiculous rating of 9.3,polluting lot IMDB lists and 80% of the votes coming from non-us. -_-

Seriously though, its better to not worry abt the IMDB lists.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » December 3rd, 2013, 10:12 am

tommy_leazaq on Dec 3 2013, 03:08:03 AM wrote:80% of the votes coming from non-us.
If this was a metric you'd eliminate a whole lot of films. I was surprised how much non-us has grown over the last few years in imdb voting.

Panunzio

Post by Panunzio » December 3rd, 2013, 11:26 am

Why not eliminate films that receive a rating below 6.0 in the US from IMDB toplists? By looking at many of the mafia films, I notice that while the domestic mafia will often rate a film in the 8's or 9's, US voters often place the film below five percent. It will leave a few of the films there, but it's a start. Maybe by examining the large discrepancies between non-US, US, and top 1000 voters, you will be able to weed out some of the other ones. I imagine this would work as even some of the most divisive films that could still reasonably claim a place on a toplist (Tree of Life possibly) would be able to withstand these criteria.

As for MUBI and RYM lists, I feel like they would work to some extent, but I would be more willing to pick MUBI lists because as much as I love RYM, their charts are heavily skewed to favour documentaries or TV mini-series', especially in more recent decades, and so it may end up like the Rotten Tomatoes list with some classics interspersed between a bunch of decent documentaries. Still, I would prefer t have mafia-free IMDB lists as I think IMDB's more populist outlook is much better for newer users to the site and for those who enjoy more mainstream films.

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » December 3rd, 2013, 11:48 am

Forget it Torgo, it's Chinatown.

CMT

Post by CMT » December 3rd, 2013, 1:34 pm

Fucking American cultural imperialism.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » December 3rd, 2013, 1:38 pm

It's very easy to fix them actually. Rank them by the Top 1000 rating. None of the "mafia" films has a chance then.

SanderO

Post by SanderO » December 3rd, 2013, 3:19 pm

St. Gloede on Dec 3 2013, 06:38:14 AM wrote:It's very easy to fix them actually. Rank them by the Top 1000 rating. None of the "mafia" films has a chance then.
Is that something that can be easily done using a standard search query? The current source for the 2010's list is this:
http://www.imdb.com/search/title?releas ... ating,desc
If you can replace that with something taking only into account the top1000 voters, The Guys might consider that.

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » December 3rd, 2013, 4:24 pm

Great idea, Torgo. I've been thinking about this for a while too. But the guys don't seem to be willing to exclude anything. "Just send a message asking IMDb to exclude mafia films", was the last response I got about this ...
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

serri

Post by serri » December 3rd, 2013, 5:24 pm

CMT on Dec 3 2013, 06:34:23 AM wrote:Fucking American cultural imperialism.
word.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » December 3rd, 2013, 6:21 pm

SanderO on Dec 3 2013, 08:19:00 AM wrote:
St. Gloede on Dec 3 2013, 06:38:14 AM wrote:It's very easy to fix them actually. Rank them by the Top 1000 rating. None of the "mafia" films has a chance then.
Is that something that can be easily done using a standard search query? The current source for the 2010's list is this:
http://www.imdb.com/search/title?releas ... ating,desc
If you can replace that with something taking only into account the top1000 voters, The Guys might consider that.
That seems like a good idea.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » December 3rd, 2013, 6:23 pm

^^Yes, I believe The Magician made a script for that a long time ago.

ErikSchierboom

Post by ErikSchierboom » December 4th, 2013, 2:36 pm

Gershwin on Dec 3 2013, 09:24:13 AM wrote:Great idea, Torgo. I've been thinking about this for a while too. But the guys don't seem to be willing to exclude anything. "Just send a message asking IMDb to exclude mafia films", was the last response I got about this ...
Well, we are open to suggestions. Is there a way to only include the top 1000 voters?

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » December 4th, 2013, 4:43 pm

ErikSchierboom on Dec 4 2013, 07:36:28 AM wrote:
Gershwin on Dec 3 2013, 09:24:13 AM wrote:Great idea, Torgo. I've been thinking about this for a while too. But the guys don't seem to be willing to exclude anything. "Just send a message asking IMDb to exclude mafia films", was the last response I got about this ...
Well, we are open to suggestions. Is there a way to only include the top 1000 voters?
:thumbsup: :clap:

We should ask The Magician, I think.
RokP 250

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » December 4th, 2013, 6:55 pm

I really, really, really don't like the idea of using the top 1000 voters full stop. They are not representative of imdb users, nor do they have any particular expertise seeing as a lot of those votes can come from TV series episodes. The whole point of an imdb list should be to get a "popular vote" opinion from the movie website with by far the largest userbase and you undermine that by restricting it to the top 1000 voters. I say this having absolutely no idea what a top 50 for decades or genres from the top 1000 voters would look like. It wouldn't matter if the list somehow ended up matching my own preferences, the methodology goes completely against the very purpose of the lists. Moreover this would be much more work than my suggestion of excluding films based on rating differential, because now you have to look at the ratings of ALL the films on imdb with whatever minimum vote, rather than the top 60 or 70 and excluding the handful of bad ones.

If you're going to be restrictive in who gets a vote then just use mjf's suggestion of favourites on ICM. I don't think that replaces imdb lists either, but it's at least something related to the site and the restriction is one that makes sense for the site.
Last edited by PeacefulAnarchy on December 4th, 2013, 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » December 4th, 2013, 7:03 pm

Before we make any decisions, we need to see what the list looks like. The top 1000 voters list might not be better than the normal list, or it might be better for the 70s but worse for other decades. Also, I wouldn't trust the top 1000 voters. Many of them probably vote on films that they haven't seen. I also agree with PeacefulAnarchy that it would no longer represent IMDb users.

In the past I suggested having a "Most Favorite" list for each decade (based on favs/checks ratio) and I still think this is a good idea (not to replace the IMDb lists, but to have 2 sets of decade lists).

Here are the Most Favorite 1970s Films, and if you ask me this list is much more interesting than the IMDb list:

http://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/ichec ... ms/mjf314/
Last edited by mjf314 on December 4th, 2013, 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » December 4th, 2013, 10:16 pm

mjf314 on Dec 4 2013, 12:03:34 PM wrote:
Before we make any decisions, we need to see what the list looks like. The top 1000 voters list might not be better than the normal list, or it might be better for the 70s but worse for other decades. Also, I wouldn't trust the top 1000 voters. Many of them probably vote on films that they haven't seen. I also agree with PeacefulAnarchy that it would no longer represent IMDb users.

In the past I suggested having a "Most Favorite" list for each decade (based on favs/checks ratio) and I still think this is a good idea (not to replace the IMDb lists, but to have 2 sets of decade lists).

Here are the Most Favorite 1970s Films, and if you ask me this list is much more interesting than the IMDb list:

http://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/ichec ... ms/mjf314/
More interesting but just as obscure, there are 7 in the first 50 I have not seen for example.

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » January 9th, 2014, 11:21 pm

I've lost four Bronze awards in the past 17 days (Comedy, History, Romance, 1960s), mostly due to those wicked block-voting campaigns.

Because, sure, how could I have possibly seen half of the all-time 50 best films in those categories?

Guess I need to check out some landmark films such as 3 Idiots, Nisshartho Bhalobasha: What is Love, Montevideo: God Bless You, Omkara, The King of the Street Cleaners, Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar, Lage Raho Munna Bhai, Barfi, Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge, Brilliantovaya Ruka (on SEVEN official lists now), Kidnapping Caucasian Style, Operation Y and Other Shurik's Adventures, Watch Out for the Automobile, The Given Word, Mughal-E-Azam, Guide, Time to Love, The Witness, Last Crusade, Bhaag Milkha Bhaag, Rang de Basanti, Kelebegin Ruyasi, Madras Cafe, Treto Poluvreme, Who Sings Over There, Cat City, The Dunce Class on Vacation, Saban Oglu Saban, Zugurt Asa, Dil Chanta Hai, Hera Pheri, Khosla Ka Ghosia, Kibar Feyo, Munnabhai M.B.B.S., Andaz Apna Apna, Hababam sinifi sinifta kaldi, Hababam sinifi uyaniyor, Süt kardesler....

Curse you, Leonid Gayday!
Last edited by Ebbywebby on January 9th, 2014, 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WalterNeff
Donator

Post by WalterNeff » January 10th, 2014, 12:24 am

Here are my thoughts about the IMDb lists. Since keeping track of progress on IMDb lists was one of the reasons iCM was started (if I recall correctly) then it's up to The Guys to determine if they want to replace them or not. I'm fine either way - I just don't chase IMDb lists once I've gotten past Bronze, but I have lost Bronze a couple of times on a few lists. If they do want to consider replacing them, here is my proposal.

I think you can safely group the IMDb lists into 3 categories: Decades, Genres and Top (Top 250/All Time Box Office). Now, let's assume you want to replicate the same - or close to the same - number of lists with the same number of films, because 50 is a nice target for beginners.

Decades
What I would do is take a consensus across the major lists (Rosenbaum, Thompson, Halliwell, Schneider, NY Times, Sight and Sound, maybe Ebert, maybe the Harvard lists, and the Silent lists for the 10's and 20s). I think you could come up with a core canon of 50 films for each decade. Maybe for the 2000s you substitute the AV Club list and for the 2010s you use the TSPDT 21st Century list. Or since the 2010s are still fluid, you keep the IMDb list.

Genres
I think this ties into the discussion of having a Genre tab. Some of the genre lists are good starting points, such as Animation, Horror, Noir, Western, Documentary, War, but some are meaningless, I think, such as Comedy, Family, Action, Thrillers. This can be debated. But what I would do is determine which genres to keep, and then apply a similar process to determine a 50 film canon, working with an expert like mighty for Horror, Kas for Western, etc.

I'd keep the All-Time Worldwide Box Office list. There are people who like blockbusters and/or current movies and I don't think any film list site could ignore this category. Finally the Top 250. I'd go back to the archives and find a version of this list that really reflected the epitome of what the Top 250 list used to mean, and call it The Classic Top 250, or something similar.

Process
I'd establish a couple of working committees to hammer out the details on the framework I've presented above and go through a few rounds of revisions. First you want to make sure that the approach works for The Guys, for the core Forum heavy users, and then maybe do a blog post/poll to the entire user base. Once you get that nailed down, you work on the canon for each decade/genre that remains. Nominate an expert for each list to coordinate it, and have a round or two of voting. Finally I'd include the name iCM in the lists, something like "iCM's Top 1930s films" etc.

Just some thoughts that I have been kicking around - feel free to adopt or ignore.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » January 10th, 2014, 12:38 am

That doesn't represent the populist bent of the imdb lists at all, though. I think your project has merit, but it would be something extra not a replacement. I'm also not sure what role your "expert" plays in this.

WalterNeff
Donator

Post by WalterNeff » January 10th, 2014, 12:45 am

I thought that one major point of contention with the IMDb lists is that the constant changes in voting thresholds have negatively amplified the populist bent, and this is one way of smoothing that out. And if it wasn't clear, having an expert in a genre was to help come up with the core canon for that list and also to distribute the workload.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » January 10th, 2014, 1:02 am

The problem with the imdb lists of late is that imdb has changed the balance in the formula they use to determine a film's rating to amplify regionalist populist bents. The problem with the Turkish and Bollywood films isn't "those are popular and I don't like them" it's "those are only popular within their release region and don't represent real(i.e. western) popularity."

But if the experts are coming up with a core canon what's the voting for? Why not just have voting directly.
A reasonably straightforward way to do that might be to have people put in their imdb rating link in the place in their profile and then the guys can collate all the votes, kind of like themagician does with our ratings lists. That would preserve the general spirit of imdb ratings, but restrict things to ICM users who vote on imdb.

WalterNeff
Donator

Post by WalterNeff » January 10th, 2014, 1:15 am

A couple of things. First, less than 1/10th of 1% of iCM users would ever submit votes, so I don't see that as preserving the spirit of the IMDb lists, hence the consensus approach across major lists for the Decades. The voting would be for us heavy users to agree on an approach, in conjunction with The Guys, and then if needed, to fine tune the results. I really threw the concept of voting at some point in as a sop to the Poll Mafia. My whole approach is not to replicate the IMDb lists as much as to come up with a reasonable replacement that serves a similar function, which in my opinion is to provide a gateway set of lists, with the advantage of more stability.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » January 10th, 2014, 1:38 am

WalterNeff on Jan 9 2014, 06:15:09 PM wrote: First, less than 1/10th of 1% of iCM users would ever submit votes, so I don't see that as preserving the spirit of the IMDb lists,
In a forum poll, maybe, if it's run through ICM I don't see why that's the case. I have my imdb ratings linked in my profile for when I import from imdb, most people who have ratings on imdb import them to icm. It takes no effort to "vote" or even awareness of the existence of a vote, just the guys' willingness to use those import links not just for checks but also for ratings.

Again I like the spirit, if no maybe the exact details, of what you're suggesting, but that doesn't replace the imdb lists. It's new lists with a totally different approach to decade and genre starter lists. Perhaps ones that are more interesting to us, perhaps ones we would deem to be "better" lists, but not a replacement.

P.S. There are already published curated decade lists from Taschen: 90s 80s etc.
501 Must See Movies is really ten 50 film genre lists. Quality is debatable, of course.
Last edited by PeacefulAnarchy on January 10th, 2014, 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

WalterNeff
Donator

Post by WalterNeff » January 10th, 2014, 1:43 am

I don't see anyone else coming up with a comprehensive approach.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » January 10th, 2014, 1:53 am

WalterNeff on Jan 9 2014, 06:43:05 PM wrote:I don't see anyone else coming up with a comprehensive approach.
mjf has suggested using ICM favourites to make decade and genre lists in the past.

I don't see this kind of thing as a valid replacement for imdb lists and I don't know that the guys would be interested in something that departs so radically from the lists on there now. If they indicate that this kind of thing is something they'd consider I'd be happy to write up my own ideas for how to create fair and representative starter lists for decades and genres.

WalterNeff
Donator

Post by WalterNeff » January 10th, 2014, 2:01 am

The only way to know is to discuss it.

Torgo

Post by Torgo » January 10th, 2014, 3:31 am

IMDb is the world's most popular filmsite by a long way. It's the database.
The purpose of IMDb lists is to give a ranking of the highest rated movies on this site. The lists were always (mostly) fine until the formula changes happened of which PeacefulAnarchy already spoke.
Compiling new genre and decade lists would be something totally different. Raising the vote limits further on won't solve the problem, drawing up "black lists" neither as something with the formula must have gone bad - besides certain nations' mafia groups vote-stacking "their" films. This is getting tougher than I thought. :mellow:

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » January 10th, 2014, 4:04 am

Torgo on Jan 9 2014, 08:31:37 PM wrote: something with the formula must have gone bad - besides certain nations' mafia groups vote-stacking "their" films. This is getting tougher than I thought. :mellow:
To add to this, Indian and Turkish are what we most focus on here, but this really is a more general change to imdb's formula. In fact I'm starting to think it's not that they've weighted more towards non-US users than before, but rather that they removed any regional balancing at all. This would explain not only a lot of the other foreign films shooting up the lists, but also "US mafia" stuff like this: in the 1930s list US users 8.6 Non-US users 6.0
in the 1940s list US users 8.3 Non-US users 7.2

I do think it's possible to fix this, but it would require a lot more effort to scrape all eligible films and apply some kind of regional balancing to the imdb rating.

ChrisReynolds
Donator

Post by ChrisReynolds » January 10th, 2014, 4:09 am

Drilling down into the user ratings and recalculating a score seems the best way of rescuing the decade and genre lists to me. A list of the top 500 (or however many are needed) films can be extracted from IMDb and then a new score can be calculated for each film and the top 50 reranked films can be used in a list. I would suggest the geometric mean of "top 1000 voters", "US users" and "Non-US users".

WalterNeff
Donator

Post by WalterNeff » January 10th, 2014, 4:25 am

I think the problem is tough only because you are locked into looking at the IMDb lists from an IMDb perspective and not from an iCM perspective. From an IMDb perspective you are going to always run into problems with the formulas and weighting and balancing and mafia, and as soon as you solve one part of the equation, they will change the formula or some threshold or some metric and you will be back where you started.

Look at it from an iCM perspective, or at least my iCM perspective. When I started on iCM, of course I knew what IMDb was, and used it heavily as a reference tool, but I didn't rate movies there, and still don't. My only interaction is to add movies and add trivia or goofs. So I saw the IMDb lists on iCM as just another category of lists, albeit lists that updated frequently based on something I didn't quite understand nor cared about. Setting that aside, I just viewed the IMDb lists as sampler lists, for lack of a better term. So that is the perspective I am bringing to my proposal.

Bottom line is, if you think IMDb is the holy grail, then do nothing but accept whatever changes occur. If you think you have to fix something, then figure out what end result you want and work back from there. In my case, I want what I've termed sampler lists, or let's call them entry level lists. I realize this approach may not suit everyone's perceptions or needs.

ChrisReynolds
Donator

Post by ChrisReynolds » January 10th, 2014, 6:51 am

WalterNeff on Jan 9 2014, 09:25:06 PM wrote:I think the problem is tough only because you are locked into looking at the IMDb lists from an IMDb perspective and not from an iCM perspective. From an IMDb perspective you are going to always run into problems with the formulas and weighting and balancing and mafia, and as soon as you solve one part of the equation, they will change the formula or some threshold or some metric and you will be back where you started.

Look at it from an iCM perspective, or at least my iCM perspective. When I started on iCM, of course I knew what IMDb was, and used it heavily as a reference tool, but I didn't rate movies there, and still don't. My only interaction is to add movies and add trivia or goofs. So I saw the IMDb lists on iCM as just another category of lists, albeit lists that updated frequently based on something I didn't quite understand nor cared about. Setting that aside, I just viewed the IMDb lists as sampler lists, for lack of a better term. So that is the perspective I am bringing to my proposal.

Bottom line is, if you think IMDb is the holy grail, then do nothing but accept whatever changes occur. If you think you have to fix something, then figure out what end result you want and work back from there. In my case, I want what I've termed sampler lists, or let's call them entry level lists. I realize this approach may not suit everyone's perceptions or needs.
I do think your approach will generate good lists (probably better than anything that could be achieved from manipulating IMDb), but I think that there's a lot of interest in IMDb votes, especially from newer users, and it would be good to try and keep the name recognition that IMDb confers and some level of legitimacy from being compiled from the votes of thousands of people around the world. IMDb seems to have stopped bothering to do any weighting, so if the lists are assembled by some sort of weighting on iCM's end, although it moves away from IMDb purity, it could retain the mix of populist and arthouse that made IMDb's lists so interesting but get rid of all the mafia films which make the lists worse than useless.

To show what they'd look like, I've taken the 1970s list (one particularly riddled with mafia) and reordered the top 200 from the source list by the simple formula: (top 1000 voter score)+(US users score)+(non US users score)*2
Reordered 1970s chartShow
New rankCurrent rankChangeTitleimdburlTop 1000 voter scoreUS users scoreNon-US users scoreNew rating
11-The Godfather (1972)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068646/9.19.29.236.7
22-The Godfather: Part II (1974)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071562/8.99.1936
33-One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073486/8.88.88.835.2
45+1Star Wars (1977)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076759/8.598.634.7
515+10Alien (1979)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078748/8.58.58.534
613+7Apocalypse Now (1979)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078788/8.48.68.534
719+12Taxi Driver (1976)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075314/8.48.58.433.7
818+10A Clockwork Orange (1971)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066921/8.18.48.433.3
922+13Chinatown (1974)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071315/8.28.68.233.2
1020+10The Sting (1973)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070735/7.98.58.333
1121+10Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071853/7.88.58.332.9
1227+15The Deer Hunter (1978)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077416/7.98.28.232.5
1335+22Jaws (1975)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073195/8.28.47.932.4
1440+26Dog Day Afternoon (1975)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072890/7.98.2832.1
1528+13Annie Hall (1977)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075686/7.68.38.132.1
1629+13Network (1976)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074958/7.68.38.132.1
1755+38The Exorcist (1973)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070047/7.98.27.931.9
1841+23Rocky (1976)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075148/7.58.3831.8
1949+30Papillon (1973)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070511/7.688.131.8
2031+11Life of Brian (1979)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079470/7.67.88.231.8
2133+12Paper Moon (1973)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070510/7.48.3831.7
2239+17The Last Picture Show (1971)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067328/7.58.2831.7
2357+34All the President's Men (1976)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074119/7.78.17.931.6
2452+28Manhattan (1979)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079522/7.58.1831.6
2547+22Harold and Maude (1971)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067185/7.48.2831.6
2638+12Sleuth (1972)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069281/7.38.18.131.6
2763+36The Conversation (1974)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071360/7.68.17.931.5
2836+8Barry Lyndon (1975)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072684/7.37.88.231.5
2948+19Patton (1970)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066206/7.58.37.831.4
3051+21Young Frankenstein (1974)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072431/7.58.37.831.4
3144+13Ali: Fear Eats the Soul (1974)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071141/7.18.18.131.4
3267+35The Man Who Would Be King (1975)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073341/7.67.97.931.3
3359+26Day for Night (1973)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070460/7.47.78.131.3
3450+16Being There (1979)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078841/7.28.1831.3
3554+19Dawn of the Dead (1978)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077402/7.28.1831.3
3676+40The French Connection (1971)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067116/7.87.97.831.3
3780+43Dirty Harry (1971)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066999/7.87.97.831.3
3868+30Badlands (1973)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069762/7.68.17.831.3
3937-2Le cercle rouge (1970)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065531/78.18.131.3
4084+44Deliverance (1972)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068473/7.97.77.831.2
4171+30Halloween (1978)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077651/7.68.27.731.2
4269+27The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075029/7.58.17.831.2
4325-18Dersu Uzala (1975)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071411/7.37.18.431.2
4461+17Days of Heaven (1978)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077405/7.28.27.931.2
4534-11A Woman Under the Influence (1974)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072417/6.98.18.131.2
4656+10Aguirre, Wrath of God (1972)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068182/7.37.8831.1
4760+13The Spirit of the Beehive (1973)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070040/7.27.9831.1
4830-18Autumn Sonata (1978)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077711/6.87.98.231.1
4978+29The Day of the Jackal (1973)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069947/7.67.87.831
5075+25The Marriage of Maria Braun (1979)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079095/7.38.17.831
5162+11Amarcord (1973)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071129/7.37.58.131
5258+6The Phantom of Liberty (1974)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071487/7.17.9831
5346-7Il conformista (1970)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065571/78831
5489+35Serpico (1973)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070666/7.57.87.830.9
5566+11That Obscure Object of Desire (1977)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075824/7.37.87.930.9
5673+17Cabaret (1972)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068327/7.387.830.9
5743-14Cries and Whispers (1972)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069467/77.58.230.9
5898+40Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075860/7.77.97.630.8
5964+5The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (1972)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068361/7.27.48.130.8
6081+21The Devils (1971)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066993/7.37.97.830.8
6170+9The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser (1974)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071691/7.287.830.8
6245-17Solyaris (1972)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069293/6.97.58.230.8
6332-31Stalker (1979)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079944/6.77.48.330.7
6487+23Love and Death (1975)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073312/7.37.87.830.7
6572+7Johnny Got His Gun (1971)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067277/7.17.6830.7
6696+30The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (1974)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072251/7.57.97.630.6
6782+15The Tenant (1976)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074811/7.37.57.930.6
6883+15Soldier of Orange (1977)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076734/7.37.77.830.6
6974+53 Women (1977)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075612/787.830.6
7065-5Fiddler on the Roof (1971)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067093/6.887.930.6
7191+20Nashville (1975)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073440/7.37.87.730.5
7292+20Kramer vs. Kramer (1979)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079417/7.37.87.730.5
7393+20All That Jazz (1979)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078754/7.27.77.830.5
7442-32Zerkalo (1975)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072443/6.77.48.230.5
7553-22Stroszek (1977)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075276/6.58.27.930.5
76108+32MASH (1970)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066026/7.57.97.530.4
77104+27The Warriors (1979)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080120/7.27.87.730.4
7877-1Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067992/7.287.630.4
79101+22Lady Snowblood: Blizzard from the Netherworld (1973)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0158714/7.17.97.730.4
8079-1The 36th Chamber of Shaolin (1978)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078243/6.98.17.730.4
81107+26Walkabout (1971)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067959/7.47.77.630.3
82111+29Little Big Man (1970)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065988/7.47.57.730.3
8390+7Blazing Saddles (1974)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071230/7.387.530.3
84100+16Play It Again, Sam (1972)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069097/7.27.77.730.3
8586+1The Castle of Cagliostro (1979)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079833/77.97.730.3
86109+23The Wicker Man (1973)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070917/7.37.67.730.3
8788+1What's Up, Doc? (1972)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069495/7.187.630.3
8895+7Fantastic Planet (1973)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070544/77.87.730.2
89118+29High Plains Drifter (1973)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068699/7.47.87.530.2
90112+22Midnight Express (1978)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077928/7.37.77.630.2
91117+26Lenny (1974)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071746/7.37.77.630.2
92102+10The Shootist (1976)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075213/7.37.97.530.2
93138+45Marathon Man (1976)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074860/7.57.67.530.1
94114+20The Long Goodbye (1973)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070334/7.27.77.630.1
9599+4A Fistful of Dynamite (1971)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067140/77.77.730.1
96128+32Escape from Alcatraz (1979)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079116/7.37.67.630.1
97129+32The Omen (1976)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075005/7.37.67.630.1
98105+7Enter the Dragon (1973)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070034/7.17.87.630.1
99106+7McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067411/7.17.87.630.1
100137+37Straw Dogs (1971)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067800/7.47.47.630
101135+34Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073540/7.47.67.530
102143+41Three Days of the Condor (1975)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073802/7.47.67.530
103126+23The Tin Drum (1979)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078875/7.27.47.730
10494-10Breaking Away (1979)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078902/7.17.97.530
105122+17And Now for Something Completely Different (1971)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066765/7.17.77.630
106124+18Kelly's Heroes (1970)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065938/7.17.77.630
107127+20Tristana (1970)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066491/7.17.77.630
108136+28Get Carter (1971)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067128/7.37.47.629.9
109123+14Jeremiah Johnson (1972)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068762/7.27.77.529.9
110110-Watership Down (1978)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078480/77.77.629.9
111113+2The Passenger (1975)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073580/6.97.67.729.9
112148+36The Getaway (1972)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068638/7.37.57.529.8
113151+38Frenzy (1972)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068611/7.37.57.529.8
114141+27Charley Varrick (1973)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069865/7.27.67.529.8
115125+10The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (1977)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076363/7.17.97.429.8
116134+18Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079641/7.17.77.529.8
117103-14Deep Red (1975)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073582/6.97.57.729.8
118142+24American Graffiti (1973)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069704/7.47.87.329.8
11997-221900 (1976)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074084/77.27.829.8
120133+13Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071249/7.17.67.529.7
121139+18Cross of Iron (1977)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074695/7.17.47.629.7
122116-6The Muppet Movie (1979)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079588/7.17.87.429.7
12316-107Sholay (1975)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073707/4.97.68.629.7
124130+6The Last Detail (1973)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070290/77.87.429.6
12585-40The Holy Mountain (1973)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071615/6.47.87.729.6
126115-11Scum (1979)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079871/6.87.67.629.6
127169+42Assault on Precinct 13 (1976)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074156/7.47.37.429.5
128173+45Carrie (1976)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074285/7.47.57.329.5
129154+25Mean Streets (1973)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070379/7.17.67.429.5
130149+19The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072271/77.77.429.5
131131-Robin Hood (1973)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070608/6.87.77.529.5
132168+36Don't Look Now (1973)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069995/7.37.37.429.4
133157+24Suspiria (1977)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076786/7.17.57.429.4
134161+27Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (1974)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071115/7.17.57.429.4
135162+27Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (1973)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070518/7.17.37.529.4
136145+9Five Easy Pieces (1970)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065724/77.67.429.4
137155+18The Tragedy of Macbeth (1971)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067372/77.67.429.4
138121-17Drunken Master (1978)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080179/6.67.67.629.4
139120-19Animal House (1978)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077975/77.97.229.3
140159+19Murder by Death (1976)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074937/6.97.47.529.3
141132-9Death in Venice (1971)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067445/6.97.27.629.3
142147+5Interiors (1978)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077742/6.77.87.429.3
143177+34The China Syndrome (1979)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078966/7.37.47.329.3
144183+39Superman (1978)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078346/7.37.67.229.3
145178+33Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077745/7.27.47.329.2
146192+46Murder on the Orient Express (1974)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071877/7.27.47.329.2
147119-28The Twelve Tasks of Asterix (1976)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072901/6.67.27.729.2
148150+2Tora! Tora! Tora! (1970)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066473/6.87.67.429.2
14924-125Mihai Viteazul (1971)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066078/5.56.58.629.2
15017-133The Message (1977)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074896/5.36.58.729.2
151164+13A Bridge Too Far (1977)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075784/6.97.47.429.1
152167+15Eraserhead (1977)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074486/6.97.47.429.1
153152-1My Name Is Nobody (1973)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070215/6.87.37.529.1
154158+4The Duellists (1977)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075968/6.87.37.529.1
155171+16The Goodbye Girl (1977)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076095/77.47.329
156187+31The Front Page (1974)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071524/777.529
157146-11El Topo (1970)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067866/6.57.57.529
158165+7The Wanderers (1979)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080117/6.77.47.428.9
159199+40The Parallax View (1974)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071970/7.17.47.228.9
160191+31Sleeper (1973)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070707/77.57.228.9
161181+20The Ballad of Cable Hogue (1970)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065446/6.97.47.328.9
162172+10...And Justice for All. (1979)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078718/6.87.37.428.9
163175+12The American Friend (1977)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075675/6.87.37.428.9
164170+6The Front (1976)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074554/6.87.57.328.9
165163-2Julia (1977)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076245/6.77.67.328.9
166180+14Slap Shot (1977)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076723/6.97.57.228.8
167189+22The Three Musketeers (1973)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072281/6.97.57.228.8
168153-15The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (1976)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074749/6.57.57.428.8
16923-146Ivan Vasilevich menyaet professiyu (1973)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070233/5.36.58.528.8
170193+23Vanishing Point (1971)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067927/6.97.37.328.8
171197+26Tess (1979)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080009/6.97.37.328.8
172174+2Coming Home (1978)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077362/6.87.47.328.8
173184+11Roma (1972)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069191/6.67.37.428.7
174144-30Snake in the Eagle's Shadow (1978)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078252/6.27.57.528.7
175196+21Norma Rae (1979)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079638/77.47.128.6
176190+14Scarecrow (1973)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070643/6.77.37.328.6
177188+11The Streetfighter (1975)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073092/6.77.57.228.6
178185+7The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073629/6.67.27.428.6
179156-23Hair (1979)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079261/6.477.628.6
18026-154Flaklypa Grand Prix (1975)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073000/6.25.38.528.5
181179-2House (1977)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076162/6.57.57.228.4
182186+4Fist of Fury (1972)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068767/6.47.47.328.4
183160-23Scrooge (1970)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066344/6.47.67.228.4
184198+14Way of the Dragon (1972)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068935/6.57.47.228.3
185166-19The Adventures of Rabbi Jacob (1973)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069747/6.37.27.428.3
186182-4The Cowboys (1972)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068421/6.57.67.128.3
187195+8Two-Lane Blacktop (1971)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067893/6.47.47.228.2
188176-12They Call Me Trinity... (1970)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067355/6.27.27.428.2
189194+5The Black Stallion (1979)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078872/6.67.5728.1
190200+10Quadrophenia (1979)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079766/6.47.17.328.1
1917-184Anand (1971)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066763/2.96.98.927.6
192140-521776 (1972)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068156/6.47.76.627.3
19310-183Selvi boylum, al yazmalim (1978)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0263975/3.45.48.826.4
1948-186Saban Oglu Saban (1977)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0253614/3.14.98.925.8
1956-189Sut kardesler (1976)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0253779/2.84.9925.7
19611-185Hababam sinifi tatilde (1978)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0252489/2.85.28.825.6
1974-193Hababam sinifi sinifta kaldi (1976)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0252488/2.65925.6
19814-184Copculer krali (1977)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0253997/3.25.18.625.5
1999-190Hababam sinifi uyaniyor (1977)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0252490/2.94.88.925.5
20012-188Kibar Feyzo (1978)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0252597/2.65.28.825.4
Oh dear, those masterpieces of Turkish cinema, the Hababam sinifi films seem to have dropped to the bottom and the top 50 is now cluttered up by mainstream trash like Aguirre, Dawn of the Dead, The Spirit of the Beehive, The French Connection, etc.

WalterNeff
Donator

Post by WalterNeff » January 10th, 2014, 7:02 am

Seems like a reasonable approach.

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » January 10th, 2014, 1:53 pm

That seems a brilliant approach, and it seems to be quite fair as well. :thumbsup:
RokP 250

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » January 10th, 2014, 2:15 pm

The problem with that solution is that it's manual though. I think the best bet would be to use 'iCM Most Fave' for genres and decades, because they would likely be closest to the 'real' IMDb ones as well as being calculated automatically AND being tied to iCM instead of IMDb.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » January 10th, 2014, 2:21 pm

mightysparks on Jan 10 2014, 07:15:58 AM wrote:The problem with that solution is that it's manual though. I think the best bet would be to use 'iCM Most Fave' for genres and decades, because they would likely be closest to the 'real' IMDb ones as well as being calculated automatically AND being tied to iCM instead of IMDb.
Agree. I think I would prefer something like this.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"