Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Animation (Results), 2016 awards (Aug 25th), 1987 (Aug 25th), Benelux (Aug 30th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Romance, UK/Ireland, <400 Checks
Film of the Week: The Great White Silence, September nominations (Aug 30th)

iCM "3.0"

Post Reply
User avatar
Ebbywebby
Posts: 2529
Joined: Sep 10, 2012
Location: Orange County, CA
Contact:

iCM "3.0"

#1161

Post by Ebbywebby » December 3rd, 2016, 11:30 pm

I'm finding the new format pretty awkward to use. I feel like it's harder to glean the information I seek. I enjoy being able to see a film's runtime/director in the "Normal" view of my checked films (that's one plus) and it's nice to have 50 rather than 25 films per page (two plusses) but, otherwise, really, I would have been content if the old site had simply 1) changed its background color from beige to white and 2) substantially narrowed that "Movies/Lists/People" header and substituted less kitschy graphics.

And I'll be really disappointed if one's watchlist of lists doesn't retain some obvious indication of one's percentage completion.

And why is it that looking at my list of checks shows how long ago I checked them, but this info is missing when I look at someone ELSE'S checks?

User avatar
bal3x
Donator
Posts: 13022
Joined: May 26, 2011
Contact:

#1162

Post by bal3x » December 3rd, 2016, 11:36 pm

xianjiro on Dec 3 2016, 02:38:38 PM wrote:posting comments in multiple places is annoying and insane but that also means I won't be able to see what issues people raise here (and if they apply to me too)
Yeah, I actually think this thread just needs a redirect to the official forum especially since Marijn isn't reading this regularly.

User avatar
PeacefulAnarchy
Moderator
Posts: 22889
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#1163

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » December 3rd, 2016, 11:50 pm

If you know and understand the issue you're having, yes post on the official page. This thread here still serves a purpose in that sometimes it's helpful to bounce suggestions and ideas off each other, even if only to get a clear explanation of what's going wrong.

If I want to vent that something feels awkward or I'm confused about something I'll post here. If I run into something that I want/hope marijn will address then I'll post over there.

Per_Niel
Posts: 117
Joined: Jan 20, 2014
Location: Oslo, Norway
Contact:

#1164

Post by Per_Niel » December 3rd, 2016, 11:51 pm

I didn't even know there was an official forum, lol

User avatar
PeacefulAnarchy
Moderator
Posts: 22889
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#1165

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » December 3rd, 2016, 11:52 pm

frbrown on Dec 3 2016, 04:00:44 PM wrote:
3eyes on Dec 3 2016, 03:28:45 PM wrote:I note that there is a sort by "completion" but I can't make head or tail of it - before I bother Marijn, can anyone explain it to me? It's not by % completed or number watched or number left or anything else that I can think of.
It SHOULD be by %, but progress page is jumbled up, whether sorting by completion, name or rank.
This happens because of the single column merging interlacing the columns. It displays and sorts fine if you make your window wide enough to show two columns

User avatar
bal3x
Donator
Posts: 13022
Joined: May 26, 2011
Contact:

#1166

Post by bal3x » December 4th, 2016, 12:09 am

PeacefulAnarchy on Dec 3 2016, 04:50:04 PM wrote:If you know and understand the issue you're having, yes post on the official page. This thread here still serves a purpose in that sometimes it's helpful to bounce suggestions and ideas off each other, even if only to get a clear explanation of what's going wrong.

If I want to vent that something feels awkward or I'm confused about something I'll post here. If I run into something that I want/hope marijn will address then I'll post over there.
Fair enough I guess, but I think there's confusion - people don't know where to post stuff or are posting in both forums, I'd imagine some stuff will be duplicated as well so it creates unnecessary work for you as well.

User avatar
PeacefulAnarchy
Moderator
Posts: 22889
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#1167

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » December 4th, 2016, 12:39 am

bal3x on Dec 3 2016, 05:09:49 PM wrote:
PeacefulAnarchy on Dec 3 2016, 04:50:04 PM wrote:If you know and understand the issue you're having, yes post on the official page. This thread here still serves a purpose in that sometimes it's helpful to bounce suggestions and ideas off each other, even if only to get a clear explanation of what's going wrong.

If I want to vent that something feels awkward or I'm confused about something I'll post here. If I run into something that I want/hope marijn will address then I'll post over there.
Fair enough I guess, but I think there's confusion - people don't know where to post stuff or are posting in both forums, I'd imagine some stuff will be duplicated as well so it creates unnecessary work for you as well.
I read both forums anyway. Seeing duplicate stuff doesn't bother me. And as far as 3.0 is concerned I'm a user like everyone else. I don't mind forwarding comments from here to there if people want, as long as people know it's Marijn who is the one making decisions and doing the work.

Feedback is important, and I do think we should post more of it. I'm going to try to use the the beta more for the next few weeks so I can report any issues to Marijn. But sometimes people just want to vent or are confused and for some issues it probably makes sense to discuss them before forwarding them over there.

Whatever people do is fine with me. Post wherever you think is appropriate for the issue you're having.

I added a link to https://discuss.icheckmovies.com/t/iche ... back/53/71 in the first post for clarity.
Last edited by PeacefulAnarchy on December 4th, 2016, 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bal3x
Donator
Posts: 13022
Joined: May 26, 2011
Contact:

#1168

Post by bal3x » December 4th, 2016, 12:55 am

PeacefulAnarchy on Dec 3 2016, 05:39:51 PM wrote:
bal3x on Dec 3 2016, 05:09:49 PM wrote:
PeacefulAnarchy on Dec 3 2016, 04:50:04 PM wrote:If you know and understand the issue you're having, yes post on the official page. This thread here still serves a purpose in that sometimes it's helpful to bounce suggestions and ideas off each other, even if only to get a clear explanation of what's going wrong.

If I want to vent that something feels awkward or I'm confused about something I'll post here. If I run into something that I want/hope marijn will address then I'll post over there.
Fair enough I guess, but I think there's confusion - people don't know where to post stuff or are posting in both forums, I'd imagine some stuff will be duplicated as well so it creates unnecessary work for you as well.
I read both forums anyway. Seeing duplicate stuff doesn't bother me. And as far as 3.0 is concerned I'm a user like everyone else. I don't mind forwarding comments from here to there if people want, as long as people know it's Marijn who is the one making decisions and doing the work.

Feedback is important, and I do think we should post more of it. I'm going to try to use the the beta more for the next few weeks so I can report any issues to Marijn. But sometimes people just want to vent or are confused and for some issues it probably makes sense to discuss them before forwarding them over there.

Whatever people do is fine with me. Post wherever you think is appropriate for the issue you're having.

I added a link to https://discuss.icheckmovies.com/t/iche ... back/53/71 in the first post for clarity.
:thumbsup:

User avatar
PeacefulAnarchy
Moderator
Posts: 22889
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#1169

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » December 4th, 2016, 1:10 am

I remember on the progress page there was somewhere you could hover over to get the completion percentage but I can't find it now, anyone remember where that is?

Edit: After hovering my mouse in various places I found it. Hovering over the list icon shows completion percentage
Last edited by PeacefulAnarchy on December 4th, 2016, 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
frbrown
Posts: 5857
Joined: Nov 01, 2011
Contact:

#1170

Post by frbrown » December 4th, 2016, 1:23 am

PeacefulAnarchy on Dec 3 2016, 04:52:04 PM wrote:
frbrown on Dec 3 2016, 04:00:44 PM wrote:
3eyes on Dec 3 2016, 03:28:45 PM wrote:I note that there is a sort by "completion" but I can't make head or tail of it - before I bother Marijn, can anyone explain it to me? It's not by % completed or number watched or number left or anything else that I can think of.
It SHOULD be by %, but progress page is jumbled up, whether sorting by completion, name or rank.
This happens because of the single column merging interlacing the columns. It displays and sorts fine if you make your window wide enough to show two columns
Thanks, Peaceful :thumbsup: I don't know how to make my window any wider than it already is, but instead, I decreased my browser's view to 80%, and that fixed it (and made all the letters really small).
Image

User avatar
PeacefulAnarchy
Moderator
Posts: 22889
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#1171

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » December 4th, 2016, 1:47 am

1200 pixels seems to be the breakpoint when things start getting messy, so on a computer you should be able to make the window that wide but on a phone or tablet decreasing the view % seems to be the solution for now.

User avatar
3eyes
Donator
Posts: 6664
Joined: May 17, 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

#1172

Post by 3eyes » December 4th, 2016, 2:08 am

PeacefulAnarchy on Dec 3 2016, 04:52:04 PM wrote:
frbrown on Dec 3 2016, 04:00:44 PM wrote:
3eyes on Dec 3 2016, 03:28:45 PM wrote:I note that there is a sort by "completion" but I can't make head or tail of it - before I bother Marijn, can anyone explain it to me? It's not by % completed or number watched or number left or anything else that I can think of.
It SHOULD be by %, but progress page is jumbled up, whether sorting by completion, name or rank.
This happens because of the single column merging interlacing the columns. It displays and sorts fine if you make your window wide enough to show two columns
Peaceful, my laptop screen is extra wide and I can get to 2 columns by dint of making the type too small to read comfortably, but it's still messed up. Sorry I don't know how to do screenshots, but of my 5 plats, 3 are in positions 1, 3 & 4; I can't find the other two.

I did tell Marijn.
Last edited by 3eyes on December 4th, 2016, 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

User avatar
PeacefulAnarchy
Moderator
Posts: 22889
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#1173

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » December 4th, 2016, 2:33 am

They're in the right hand column. There's an in between place in the column collapse where you get two columns but some items switch sides. I posted about this in the other forum with more details. If you kept going smaller it would be fixed, but of course then you wouldn't be able to read it.

If I had to guess, and if your laptop has a wide screen like you say, the issue is probably with how you've configured the resolution. Windows has an option for large icons, so you can keep a higher res but still see the desktop icons well, but sometimes people set things up by just lowering the resolution to make the icons bigger instead, which screws up other things like this. It's a very easy thing to fix, but sometimes there are reasons to do it that way, since not all programs scale their UI appropriately. For most cases higher res with larger icons/text is the way to go, but not always. I assume the same thing is true for macs.

User avatar
3eyes
Donator
Posts: 6664
Joined: May 17, 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

#1174

Post by 3eyes » December 4th, 2016, 3:50 am

Thanks, Peaceful. That stuff about res is Greek to me, and I don't pay any more attention to icons than I have to; but I did ratchet it down a couple more notches and can still read the print (tho not the icons) and it seems to have gotten unscrambled.
Last edited by 3eyes on December 4th, 2016, 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

User avatar
pitn
Posts: 106
Joined: Dec 29, 2011
Location: Belgium
Contact:

#1175

Post by pitn » December 4th, 2016, 9:16 am

If you are on the progress page and you have chosen one type of lists from te dropdown menu, and if you now change the sort order of the lists, it jumps back to all the lists, instead of remaining on the type of lists you chose.

User avatar
pitn
Posts: 106
Joined: Dec 29, 2011
Location: Belgium
Contact:

#1176

Post by pitn » December 4th, 2016, 9:18 am

Also on an ipad, the device I use most for consulting the site, the sorting is mixed up and there are empty lines between the lists.

User avatar
PeacefulAnarchy
Moderator
Posts: 22889
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#1177

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » December 4th, 2016, 10:08 am

pitn on Dec 4 2016, 02:18:24 AM wrote:Also on an ipad, the device I use most for consulting the site, the sorting is mixed up and there are empty lines between the lists.
Yes, this is the issue 3eyes was having that I mentioned above. I've reported this.

The other one I hadn't noticed. Didn't even try filtering the lists. Someone else mentioned that the Institute filter doesn't work. I'll post these on the other forum tomorrow if no one else does.

User avatar
3eyes
Donator
Posts: 6664
Joined: May 17, 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

#1178

Post by 3eyes » December 4th, 2016, 11:38 am

LOL I Just realized that if I make that page smaller I'm not going to be able to read anything else either without continual readjustment. :shrug: Thanks anyway.

(There's been a lot of progress accommodating hearing-challenged viewers in the last few years - we're no longer limited to silents and subtitled foreign films. Blind viewers may be more of a problem.)
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

User avatar
Lilarcor
Donator
Posts: 2736
Joined: Jun 14, 2011
Contact:

#1179

Post by Lilarcor » December 4th, 2016, 5:03 pm

The "Popular This Week" thing doesn't appeal to me as it is because it's what every other major site offers (because it only shows recent Hollywood films) but I would really appreciate a feature that shows "trending" more obscure films, say <400 checks films that have got most favorites recently. Could have it below the mainstream one. Perhaps one for films on no official lists also.

User avatar
bal3x
Donator
Posts: 13022
Joined: May 26, 2011
Contact:

#1180

Post by bal3x » December 5th, 2016, 1:39 pm

How can I see checked movies from a director like in 2.0? Am I missing something or is it possible to see only when sorted by "checked date"?

Image
Last edited by bal3x on December 5th, 2016, 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 29075
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#1181

Post by joachimt » December 5th, 2016, 1:50 pm

bal3x on Dec 5 2016, 06:39:24 AM wrote:How can I see checked movies from a director like in 2.0? Am I missing something or is it possible to see only when sorted by "checked date"?
When you click the filter "All", you can select "Checked". However, then the director-filter disappears, but you can add that back by manually type director:'name of director'.

Something like this:
https://beta.icheckmovies.com/movies/ch ... e+Jonze%27
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
bal3x
Donator
Posts: 13022
Joined: May 26, 2011
Contact:

#1182

Post by bal3x » December 5th, 2016, 2:58 pm

joachimt on Dec 5 2016, 06:50:14 AM wrote:
bal3x on Dec 5 2016, 06:39:24 AM wrote:How can I see checked movies from a director like in 2.0? Am I missing something or is it possible to see only when sorted by "checked date"?
When you click the filter "All", you can select "Checked". However, then the director-filter disappears, but you can add that back by manually type director:'name of director'.

Something like this:
https://beta.icheckmovies.com/movies/ch ... e+Jonze%27
Right, but "manually typing director" does not work, and in fact the filter should be kept as is (as in 2.0) otherwise this is not an improvement, but a major downgrade.. hope it's fixed.

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 29075
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#1183

Post by joachimt » December 5th, 2016, 4:09 pm

bal3x on Dec 5 2016, 07:58:23 AM wrote:
joachimt on Dec 5 2016, 06:50:14 AM wrote:
bal3x on Dec 5 2016, 06:39:24 AM wrote:How can I see checked movies from a director like in 2.0? Am I missing something or is it possible to see only when sorted by "checked date"?
When you click the filter "All", you can select "Checked". However, then the director-filter disappears, but you can add that back by manually type director:'name of director'.

Something like this:
https://beta.icheckmovies.com/movies/ch ... e+Jonze%27
Right, but "manually typing director" does not work, and in fact the filter should be kept as is (as in 2.0) otherwise this is not an improvement, but a major downgrade.. hope it's fixed.
It works for me. I agree it's not how it's supposed to be.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
bal3x
Donator
Posts: 13022
Joined: May 26, 2011
Contact:

#1184

Post by bal3x » December 5th, 2016, 4:10 pm

joachimt on Dec 5 2016, 09:09:07 AM wrote:
bal3x on Dec 5 2016, 07:58:23 AM wrote:
joachimt on Dec 5 2016, 06:50:14 AM wrote:When you click the filter "All", you can select "Checked". However, then the director-filter disappears, but you can add that back by manually type director:'name of director'.

Something like this:
https://beta.icheckmovies.com/movies/ch ... e+Jonze%27
Right, but "manually typing director" does not work, and in fact the filter should be kept as is (as in 2.0) otherwise this is not an improvement, but a major downgrade.. hope it's fixed.
It works for me. I agree it's not how it's supposed to be.
Yeah, having to enter director name manually is not the most user friendly experience even if you know how to spell the director...

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 29075
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#1185

Post by joachimt » December 5th, 2016, 4:28 pm

bal3x on Dec 5 2016, 09:10:42 AM wrote:
joachimt on Dec 5 2016, 09:09:07 AM wrote:
bal3x on Dec 5 2016, 07:58:23 AM wrote:Right, but "manually typing director" does not work, and in fact the filter should be kept as is (as in 2.0) otherwise this is not an improvement, but a major downgrade.. hope it's fixed.
It works for me. I agree it's not how it's supposed to be.
Yeah, having to enter director name manually is not the most user friendly experience even if you know how to spell the director...
I just reported this on the official forum. The same goes for other filters. When you have all movies filtered on a certain genre and then you add the "checked"-filter, the genre-filter disappears.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
bal3x
Donator
Posts: 13022
Joined: May 26, 2011
Contact:

#1186

Post by bal3x » December 5th, 2016, 4:54 pm

joachimt on Dec 5 2016, 09:28:17 AM wrote:
bal3x on Dec 5 2016, 09:10:42 AM wrote:
joachimt on Dec 5 2016, 09:09:07 AM wrote:It works for me. I agree it's not how it's supposed to be.
Yeah, having to enter director name manually is not the most user friendly experience even if you know how to spell the director...
I just reported this on the official forum. The same goes for other filters. When you have all movies filtered on a certain genre and then you add the "checked"-filter, the genre-filter disappears.
Thanks! Hope this is taken care of.

User avatar
Gershwin
Donator
Posts: 7067
Joined: May 17, 2011
Location: Leiden, NL
Contact:

#1187

Post by Gershwin » December 5th, 2016, 8:11 pm

bal3x on Dec 5 2016, 09:54:19 AM wrote:
joachimt on Dec 5 2016, 09:28:17 AM wrote:
bal3x on Dec 5 2016, 09:10:42 AM wrote:Yeah, having to enter director name manually is not the most user friendly experience even if you know how to spell the director...
I just reported this on the official forum. The same goes for other filters. When you have all movies filtered on a certain genre and then you add the "checked"-filter, the genre-filter disappears.
Thanks! Hope this is taken care of.
Probably only if it supposedly attracts more users. tehe
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

User avatar
Ebbywebby
Posts: 2529
Joined: Sep 10, 2012
Location: Orange County, CA
Contact:

#1188

Post by Ebbywebby » December 6th, 2016, 11:57 pm

joachimt on Dec 5 2016, 06:50:14 AM wrote:
bal3x on Dec 5 2016, 06:39:24 AM wrote:How can I see checked movies from a director like in 2.0? Am I missing something or is it possible to see only when sorted by "checked date"?
When you click the filter "All", you can select "Checked". However, then the director-filter disappears, but you can add that back by manually type director:'name of director'.

Something like this:
https://beta.icheckmovies.com/movies/ch ... e+Jonze%27
Huh...I never even realized you could type "director:name" as a filter. I've always just looked up one of the director's films and then clicked the director's name in the film's Director field.

User avatar
Gershwin
Donator
Posts: 7067
Joined: May 17, 2011
Location: Leiden, NL
Contact:

#1189

Post by Gershwin » December 8th, 2016, 3:17 pm

All of you guys should like this post. Maybe then Marijn will follow the advice to give the number of official top lists more attention.
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

User avatar
Gershwin
Donator
Posts: 7067
Joined: May 17, 2011
Location: Leiden, NL
Contact:

#1190

Post by Gershwin » December 8th, 2016, 10:16 pm

I don't know if it's just me, but I find it kind of infuriating that I can't switch back to the original layout whenever the new one pops up. I just want to stick to the existing one as long as it's possible, dammit. :angry:
Last edited by Gershwin on December 8th, 2016, 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 7727
Joined: Dec 29, 2012
Contact:

#1191

Post by Lonewolf2003 » December 11th, 2016, 12:34 am

Gershwin on Dec 8 2016, 08:17:32 AM wrote:All of you guys should like this post. Maybe then Marijn will follow the advice to give the number of official top lists more attention.
Seems Marijn did listen. It looks way better now. :thumbsup:
Last edited by Lonewolf2003 on December 11th, 2016, 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
HVM
Posts: 3695
Joined: Jul 09, 2012
Location: Republic of Czechia
Contact:

#1192

Post by HVM » December 11th, 2016, 12:39 am

HVM on Dec 2 2016, 01:19:23 PM wrote:When I have a look at a friend's or even a stranger's 'checked movies' page I don't see when he/she actually checked them. I don't like this.
Thank you, Marijn.
1918 - 100 - 2018

User avatar
3eyes
Donator
Posts: 6664
Joined: May 17, 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

#1193

Post by 3eyes » December 13th, 2016, 8:17 pm

Lilarcor on Dec 4 2016, 10:03:34 AM wrote:The "Popular This Week" thing doesn't appeal to me as it is because it's what every other major site offers (because it only shows recent Hollywood films) but I would really appreciate a feature that shows "trending" more obscure films, say <400 checks films that have got most favorites recently. Could have it below the mainstream one. Perhaps one for films on no official lists also.
Yes, it's really annoying. It clutters up the page when I'm looking for something else and there doesn't seem to be a way to turn it off. It could at least be put in preferences or something.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

User avatar
Ebbywebby
Posts: 2529
Joined: Sep 10, 2012
Location: Orange County, CA
Contact:

#1194

Post by Ebbywebby » December 14th, 2016, 2:04 am

Lilarcor on Dec 4 2016, 10:03:34 AM wrote:The "Popular This Week" thing doesn't appeal to me as it is because it's what every other major site offers (because it only shows recent Hollywood films) but I would really appreciate a feature that shows "trending" more obscure films, say <400 checks films that have got most favorites recently. Could have it below the mainstream one. Perhaps one for films on no official lists also.
I agree about the "Popular This Week" feature being unwanted/redundant/unnecessary, but I don't think there's any viable criteria for having an alternative "Popular But Not TOO Popular This Week"-type list as suggested above. And we need to remember that most ICM users aren't hardcore "diggers" like the forum regulars.

The best alternative probably would be something like "Popular films this week that are over five years old," but I wouldn't want this either.

User avatar
Gershwin
Donator
Posts: 7067
Joined: May 17, 2011
Location: Leiden, NL
Contact:

#1195

Post by Gershwin » December 14th, 2016, 2:06 am

Ebbywebby on Dec 13 2016, 07:04:02 PM wrote:
Lilarcor on Dec 4 2016, 10:03:34 AM wrote:The "Popular This Week" thing doesn't appeal to me as it is because it's what every other major site offers (because it only shows recent Hollywood films) but I would really appreciate a feature that shows "trending" more obscure films, say <400 checks films that have got most favorites recently. Could have it below the mainstream one. Perhaps one for films on no official lists also.
I agree about the "Popular This Week" feature being unwanted/redundant/unnecessary, but I don't think there's any viable criteria for having an alternative "Popular But Not TOO Popular This Week"-type list as suggested above. And we need to remember that most ICM users aren't hardcore "diggers" like the forum regulars.

The best alternative probably would be something like "Popular films this week that are over five years old," but I wouldn't want this either.
How about "Popular with your friends"?
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

User avatar
Ebbywebby
Posts: 2529
Joined: Sep 10, 2012
Location: Orange County, CA
Contact:

#1196

Post by Ebbywebby » December 14th, 2016, 2:19 am

Gershwin on Dec 13 2016, 07:06:57 PM wrote:
Ebbywebby on Dec 13 2016, 07:04:02 PM wrote:
Lilarcor on Dec 4 2016, 10:03:34 AM wrote:The "Popular This Week" thing doesn't appeal to me as it is because it's what every other major site offers (because it only shows recent Hollywood films) but I would really appreciate a feature that shows "trending" more obscure films, say <400 checks films that have got most favorites recently. Could have it below the mainstream one. Perhaps one for films on no official lists also.
I agree about the "Popular This Week" feature being unwanted/redundant/unnecessary, but I don't think there's any viable criteria for having an alternative "Popular But Not TOO Popular This Week"-type list as suggested above. And we need to remember that most ICM users aren't hardcore "diggers" like the forum regulars.

The best alternative probably would be something like "Popular films this week that are over five years old," but I wouldn't want this either.
How about "Popular with your friends"?
Isn't that awfully close to just viewing the "Activity" of "Your friends"?

User avatar
Gershwin
Donator
Posts: 7067
Joined: May 17, 2011
Location: Leiden, NL
Contact:

#1197

Post by Gershwin » December 14th, 2016, 2:22 am

Ebbywebby on Dec 13 2016, 07:19:47 PM wrote:
Gershwin on Dec 13 2016, 07:06:57 PM wrote:
Ebbywebby on Dec 13 2016, 07:04:02 PM wrote:I agree about the "Popular This Week" feature being unwanted/redundant/unnecessary, but I don't think there's any viable criteria for having an alternative "Popular But Not TOO Popular This Week"-type list as suggested above. And we need to remember that most ICM users aren't hardcore "diggers" like the forum regulars.

The best alternative probably would be something like "Popular films this week that are over five years old," but I wouldn't want this either.
How about "Popular with your friends"?
Isn't that awfully close to just viewing the "Activity" of "Your friends"?
Yeah, but at least it's somewhat interesting. And I scarcely look at my friends' activity, but we'll have to look at this new thing anyhow, many times a day.
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

User avatar
sebby
Posts: 5763
Joined: Jul 04, 2011
Contact:

#1198

Post by sebby » December 14th, 2016, 2:56 am

Maybe "Popular among similar users" would be better?

max-scl
Posts: 616
Joined: Jun 20, 2015
Location: Santiago, Chile
Contact:

#1199

Post by max-scl » December 14th, 2016, 3:35 am

I hate the Popular this week section. That column is just free publicity for Disney movies, they should put an ad there and get some money instead.

But I would like it to go away and make the main section have more space. (Many times the number of official lists ends up in the line below and it's very annoying)
Last edited by max-scl on December 14th, 2016, 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Lilarcor
Donator
Posts: 2736
Joined: Jun 14, 2011
Contact:

#1200

Post by Lilarcor » December 14th, 2016, 5:14 am

Ebbywebby on Dec 13 2016, 07:04:02 PM wrote:
Lilarcor on Dec 4 2016, 10:03:34 AM wrote:The "Popular This Week" thing doesn't appeal to me as it is because it's what every other major site offers (because it only shows recent Hollywood films) but I would really appreciate a feature that shows "trending" more obscure films, say <400 checks films that have got most favorites recently. Could have it below the mainstream one. Perhaps one for films on no official lists also.
I agree about the "Popular This Week" feature being unwanted/redundant/unnecessary, but I don't think there's any viable criteria for having an alternative "Popular But Not TOO Popular This Week"-type list as suggested above. And we need to remember that most ICM users aren't hardcore "diggers" like the forum regulars.

The best alternative probably would be something like "Popular films this week that are over five years old," but I wouldn't want this either.
Good points.

I'd take pretty much any other option at this point (even ads).

---

Ideally, if there has to be anything there, I would like a small version of the progress bar there for lists I "follow" currently. Looking at the big list of all 181 lists is sometimes a bit much for me.

I've not been the only one to suggest this before but the option to have a personalized progress bar page would be very welcome for a shorter, manageable progress list of lists. I'm just not interested in the imdb lists for example so I don't want to see them all the time.
Last edited by Lilarcor on December 14th, 2016, 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply